Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Erwin posted:

I'm looking for a business tycoon game of some sort. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I'll probably know it when I find it. Here's two games I think I'd like to play:

For the first game, I would love to take a city from Simcity 4, and stop being mayor and become a real-estate mogul, buying buildings throughout the city and collecting rent, and then buying bigger and nicer buildings when I get rich.

For the second game, I think that I am looking for a hardcore spreadsheet game. Something in which I can find quantitative strategies and turn money into more money. I want a game in which I use investments to become rich. I want to focus more on the investing and less on details of buildings or whatever (i.e. not Roller Coaster Tycoon).

If these two games are one in the same, great. Either one would probably satisfy what I'm looking for. Also, it's probably fine if they're a browser game, as long as they're deep enough. Farmville is not the answer.

I'm also looking for something like that, specifically if it's come out recently--I've played pretty much everything the genre has to offer. I don't think there are any recent games that fit this bill.

I can recommend Capitalism 2 for the second game. A better business sim there is not. Seriously. Not much to look at, though. Too bad Cap 3 will never happen. Industry Giant 2 is also a lot of fun. It's been a while since I've played because I've heard this basically will not work on newer computers. Not as in dept as Capitalism but similar in concept--additionally there's a lot of focus on supply chain management and a ton of vehicles included from ships and trucks to trains and planes.

In terms of other games where you really feel like you're running a company (and not, for instance, building a theme park or decorating a hotel's interior) go for Railroad Tycoon 3. Should really be called "Industry Tycoon" as you can build, buy, and sell plenty of non-railroad businesses like various factories, farms, and mines, although the focus is on transporting goods. Also lots of corporate finance involved like issuing equity and bonds, refinancing debt, buybacks, M&A, and so on. Not overly "spreadsheety" but you will definitely need to pay attention to supply and demand for a variety of products.

You may want to check out Tropico 3 as well. Obviously you've got to keep your population in order but a lot of the game involves developing your island's industrial capacity, ranging from natural resource extraction and agriculture to factory production and oil refining.

Are there any really good economic or business games that have come out more recently? I'm really jonesin' for one but haven't been able to find any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Erwin posted:

I'm looking for a business tycoon game of some sort. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I'll probably know it when I find it. Here's two games I think I'd like to play:

For the first game, I would love to take a city from Simcity 4, and stop being mayor and become a real-estate mogul, buying buildings throughout the city and collecting rent, and then buying bigger and nicer buildings when I get rich.

For the second game, I think that I am looking for a hardcore spreadsheet game. Something in which I can find quantitative strategies and turn money into more money. I want a game in which I use investments to become rich. I want to focus more on the investing and less on details of buildings or whatever (i.e. not Roller Coaster Tycoon).

If these two games are one in the same, great. Either one would probably satisfy what I'm looking for. Also, it's probably fine if they're a browser game, as long as they're deep enough. Farmville is not the answer.

Have you tried the X games? X3: Terran Conflict being the latest and best game (it supersedes all the earlier games, don't play them). They're space sandbox games, kind of like Freelancer, but way more open and sandboxy. There's a campaign that you can mostly ignore, and combat that can also be mostly ignore (but it's pretty decent space combat!). You can get incredibly lost in the complex economic system it has. Cribbing from earlier games in the genre, it has trading, goods transportation, that kind of stuff, but it makes it considerably more complex. You can control large trading fleets of AI controlled ships that trade between planets for you. You can then start building your own factories, manufacture your own goods, create star bases, start making your own armada to protect your trade routes, take over other corporations, etc. It gets pretty in-depth.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Luminaflare posted:

Which is the best Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman/What Did I do to Deserve this my Lord? (2)/No heroes Allowed to get? Is it one of those skip to the end because it's just the first game but improved things or play through the first games or you won't get it?

I know the US UMD version of the 2nd game has the 1st included with it but I know the EUR version doesn't for some insane reason so that's that idea out the window.

Does no one actually know or did people just miss the post?

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Luminaflare posted:

I've never heard of either game, and even then, the question doesn't make much sense... might be worth making an account at the forums for those games and asking your question there.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Luminaflare posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3369100

There's a thread for it here, and apparently they said to just pick up the last one.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm currently in the mood for a nice combat-heavy space-sim where you pilot your own ship, preferably a big one.
I already own X3: Terran Conflict but I'm looking for something a bit more action-y. I've also played through Freelancer several times.

I've heard a bit about Darkstar One, does it fit the bill and is it any good?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Try the Freespace games. They're the oldschool mission-to-mission all action style of combat sim, no exploration or anything. But the combat is really freaking good. The Freespace series are easily my favorite space combat sims. The best part is that they're just $6 a piece at Good Old Games.

They may be old, but there's an open source project, FreeSpace Source Code Project, that really helps modernize the games. As a result, they run great on modern systems, support modern resolutions, look better, support modern joysticks and controllers, and so on. I believe you can plug both FS1 and 2 into it and play both campaigns on the same improved engine.

edit: Looking at the FS1 port website, it seems like you don't need to own Freespace 1 to play its campaign in FS2 Open? I'm not entirely sure about this, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 16, 2011

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
No, you don't need FS1 to play it's campaign in FS2, it was a user-created mod.

And yeah, seconding FS2, it's bloody amazing.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

So I have $30 on a Visa giftcard and I'm trying to decide between buying Just Cause 2, Mafia 2, or Saint's Row 2. I'm looking for a lot of replayability, or at least a game that takes a lot of time to beat, and also an open world. Which of those games would you say is the best?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
You didn't mention the platform, but assuming PC: probably Just Cause 2. Mafia 2 is well made but cut short to sell the rest of the game as DLCs, and Saint's Row 2 is an awfully ported awful piece of crap that in my unpopular opinion works if you're 13 years old who likes pro wrestling and ICP. Do keep in mind Just Cause 2 on PC will not run on Windows XP.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Try the Freespace games. They're the oldschool mission-to-mission all action style of combat sim, no exploration or anything. But the combat is really freaking good. The Freespace series are easily my favorite space combat sims. The best part is that they're just $6 a piece at Good Old Games.

They may be old, but there's an open source project, FreeSpace Source Code Project, that really helps modernize the games. As a result, they run great on modern systems, support modern resolutions, look better, support modern joysticks and controllers, and so on. I believe you can plug both FS1 and 2 into it and play both campaigns on the same improved engine.

edit: Looking at the FS1 port website, it seems like you don't need to own Freespace 1 to play its campaign in FS2 Open? I'm not entirely sure about this, though.

Oh, of course. I've heard about them several times but the name always eluded me. I'll give them a whirl, thanks!

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I'm looking for a third person over the shoulder perspective fantasy game with swords and magic and all that crap, single player, that isn't Divinity or Dragon Age. It doesn't have to be an RPG although I realise that most games fitting that description will be RPGs.

The most important thing for me is that the combat system looks and feels cool, I will tolerate a crappy story and bad voice acting etc. if it has that.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Torka posted:

I'm looking for a third person over the shoulder perspective fantasy game with swords and magic and all that crap, single player, that isn't Divinity or Dragon Age. It doesn't have to be an RPG although I realise that most games fitting that description will be RPGs.

The most important thing for me is that the combat system looks and feels cool, I will tolerate a crappy story and bad voice acting etc. if it has that.

The Witcher can be fun if you don't mind how grindy it can be. Combat reeks a bit of micromangement but once you get settled into it, it's a great timewaster. TW2 is out on steam as we speak but I never tried it. poo poo, disregard that, I just saw the ad and forgot about it.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 20, 2011

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nastyman posted:

The Witcher can be fun if you don't mind how grindy it can be. Combat reeks a bit of micromangement but once you get settled into it, it's a great timewaster. TW2 is out on steam as we speak but I never tried it.

The sequel isn't released yet, it's due in May.

Be that as it may, the first part is quite good. The combat is pretty engaging and looks really great. Also, the universe is rather unique and the story is outstanding.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

i poo poo trains posted:

So I have $30 on a Visa giftcard and I'm trying to decide between buying Just Cause 2, Mafia 2, or Saint's Row 2. I'm looking for a lot of replayability, or at least a game that takes a lot of time to beat, and also an open world. Which of those games would you say is the best?

Just Cause 2 has a really large open world and will take you an loving eternity to beat if you are trying to complete everything to 100%. It's a silly game in terms of story and characters, but I got the impression that it was designed to be that way.

I found that playing it with a 360 controller on a PC was a far better experience, in terms of controlling the parachute.

If you're the kind of gamer that likes to gently caress around in the open world, this is one of the better games of the last five years. You can do an incredible amount of poo poo with explosives and your grappling hook (tie people to a jet and take off with them flailing behind, then "surf" on the jet as it plunges into a skyscraper with you jumping off at the last second and parachuting to safety). The game also has a meter that tracks "chaos", so you're sort of rewarded for just blowing poo poo up as you feel like it.

It runs well and plays well. There are a couple of interface annoyances (purchasing multiple weapons and vehicles at a time was a hassle -- not sure if a modder has fixed it).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Torka posted:

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King was surprisingly fun in this regard, or at least those levels that pitted you against hordes of orcs, easterlings etc. were (which thankfully means most of them). There was even a demo of it, although I'm not sure where you'd find it these days considering the game's age.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Alright, I have an gaming itch that I cannot scratch and I'm hoping one of you can give me something that will at least give me partial relief.

I want to play a game that is all about getting cool loot or collecting items that are individually unique, with preferably random levels.

I've played many roguelikes, and just about every major game in this category, Diablos, Borderlands, Torchlight, that roman one diablo clone, Dungeon Seige 1 & 2, Recettear, ect.

I've also resorted to random level design in other games like Space Rangers 2, and Minecraft as an example.

I would like this in an MMO but as far as I know this is no longer possible (Though Dungeon Runners, and Mythos used to fit this).

Does anyone have any suggestions at all for this. I'm in a crazy collecting / virtual packrat mood and what to find cool and unique items. Should I just give up finding something new and replay an older game, or is there something else?

I have Disgaea 3 sitting on my shelf that I haven't really gotten into, and I've heard that you can get to crazy amount of levels in that and it might be cool, but otherwise I'm stuck in-between games with nothing that seems like it will satisfy me.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
See Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga if you haven't yet. It's a relatively "normal" RPG rather than a Diablo clone, but a lot of the loot is randomized either fully or partially.

edit: if you can stand the graphics, then Master of Magic can be played as a loot-whoring game in completely randomized scenarios. At least I do. :3: Particularly if you go custom wizard, all Life magic and pick Incarnation at start, so you get a super-strong hero and have him own everything.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 20, 2011

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Solvency posted:

Alright, I have an gaming itch that I cannot scratch and I'm hoping one of you can give me something that will at least give me partial relief.

I want to play a game that is all about getting cool loot or collecting items that are individually unique, with preferably random levels.

I've played many roguelikes, and just about every major game in this category, Diablos, Borderlands, Torchlight, that roman one diablo clone, Dungeon Seige 1 & 2, Recettear, ect.

I've also resorted to random level design in other games like Space Rangers 2, and Minecraft as an example.

I would like this in an MMO but as far as I know this is no longer possible (Though Dungeon Runners, and Mythos used to fit this).

Does anyone have any suggestions at all for this. I'm in a crazy collecting / virtual packrat mood and what to find cool and unique items. Should I just give up finding something new and replay an older game, or is there something else?

I have Disgaea 3 sitting on my shelf that I haven't really gotten into, and I've heard that you can get to crazy amount of levels in that and it might be cool, but otherwise I'm stuck in-between games with nothing that seems like it will satisfy me.

Have you tried Titan Quest? It's basically Diablo 2½ with (much) improved graphics, new areas and new classes, but exactly the same basic gameplay. Combine with the expansion for bonus acts. It's a great game if you love loot.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?
I guess my request kind of fills the thread's criteria.

Was looking at Age of Wonders on GOG and I'm very tempted by the premise. Which of the three AoW games (AoW, AoW II, or Shadow Magic) would you guys recommend I start with? Does it even matter? I don't know whether they're an actual storyline trilogy or something like Civilization where each game is same at the core but different in execution.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Are there any good RPGs that use something similar to the Job system from Final Fantasy 3/5? I really liked the versatility that provided.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

The Mash posted:

Have you tried Titan Quest? It's basically Diablo 2½ with (much) improved graphics, new areas and new classes, but exactly the same basic gameplay. Combine with the expansion for bonus acts. It's a great game if you love loot.
I'm sure that's what he meant by "that roman one diablo clone" he played.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

pigdog posted:

I'm sure that's what he meant by "that roman one diablo clone" he played.

Yup and I never really got into it either. I might have to give it another shot, but something about not having classes and non randomized levels bothered me I think. It's been a few years though, so it might be worth another look

pigdog posted:

See Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga if you haven't yet. It's a relatively "normal" RPG rather than a Diablo clone, but a lot of the loot is randomized either fully or partially.

I actually bought this during the steam sale and haven't played it yet. Sounds like it could be interesting and I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestions!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Solvency posted:

Yup and I never really got into it either. I might have to give it another shot, but something about not having classes and non randomized levels bothered me I think. It's been a few years though, so it might be worth another look

You should give it a shot, the loot system is actually quite brilliant, especially in the late/endgame. Tons of options for customization with relics that get random mods when created.

As for classes, no matter how you play, you'll have to choose one class as your "main", so you can just kinda squint your eyes and pretend the skills from your secondary class don't count.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Torka posted:

It might be too old at this point, but Severance: The Blade of Darkness, was a good 3rd person fantasy action game with a really good combat system. It will probably feel very clunky when you first start, but if you give it a little time you'll find it works very well and is a lot of fun.

And if you haven't played it, try Mount & Blade Warband. It's a very low fantasy (no magic or anything) sandbox RPG, and it has a really fun combat system.

No Real Pattern
Mar 17, 2006

Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!

Nastyman posted:

Are there any good RPGs that use something similar to the Job system from Final Fantasy 3/5? I really liked the versatility that provided.

I'm pretty sure some of the dragon quest series have a job system. Four is a good one, and I think 6 and 7 also have this? If you are willing to play a tactical RPG, you'll have a ton of choices for job-system-games, but you should play Tactics Ogre, that's one of my favorite games of all time, and it has a great job system.

Now I have my own question- I just finished playing Endless Ocean with my wife, and we both really liked it. She's not usually much of a gamer and it was nice to have a game to play together. Is there ANYTHING (on the wii) like this game (aside from the sequel)?
Important aspects of it for her were 1) exploration of varied environments 2) animals :3! 3) Nothing too dramatic or stressful or dangerous. So help me out if you know anything like this. Preferably a good game too, not something terrible like PETZ: AFRICAN SAFARIZ 2: ZEBRAZ

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Erwin posted:

Monopoly Tycoon. Check if it runs on newer OSs but it was a classic of its day and was great fun. I can't remember how much of it was about building bigger and bigger, but it was all about being a savvy mogul - with a bit of a gameplay twist and 'gamey' element built in.

quote:

The answer to that as already mentioned is Capitalism II, and there are basically no alternatives.

I've also been looking high and low for a spreadsheety game (maybe not completely spreadsheety, there needs to be a gameplay hook to it), and I've gone through numerous lists of tycoons and sims and come up with nothing much.

I bought Patrician III off GoG and it's quite good fun, Dope Wars in the 14c, and seems to be a decent trading game but completely lacks the spreadsheet screens to tell you what's going on. Throw in psuedo-random events which dick you over and it can be quite frustrating.

Games seem to either lack a gameplay element so they're too easy or too dull, or they're absolutely shallow business wise and you've seen all they've got to offer in five minutes. Or they're just hideously designed.

If there's a spreadsheety, database style movie studio management game I'd love to know. Hollywood Mogul claimed to be just that, but it's basically madlibs with movie stars and directors and offers no gameplay.

When I'm competent enough to code this game in a few months I will basically make it myself if I haven't found it (think The Movies, as a database driven game, and without the stupid unrealistic crap/or Football Manager.. but you're managing a movie studio).

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 20, 2011

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Torka posted:

I've no idea how couldn't I remember them when I first read this post, but Mount & Blade or Mount & Blade: Warband are exactly this.

If you can look past the crude indie graphics, they have an amazing combat system which can take you, in first or third person, in the middle of large scale battles (100 vs 100 or more), castle sieges etc.

M&B: Warband is basically an updated version of M&B that adds a bunch of crap and multiplayer, but some things may feel better in M&B, which also has a lot of solid mods and user scenarios.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Most of the games I have for the 360 are single player. I'm looking for some recommendations for same console co-op games. XBLA titles are welcome. No real specifics other than I'm looking for something that's easy to jump into for an hour or two, and isn't information overload when it comes to game mechanics.

I'm already thinking of getting either Castle Crashers or Scott Pilgrim. So, unless it's pretty fantastic, I'm covered on beat-em ups. If there's any good same console co-op shooters, open to those. Already have Left 4 Dead I and II.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lord Master posted:

I guess my request kind of fills the thread's criteria.

Was looking at Age of Wonders on GOG and I'm very tempted by the premise. Which of the three AoW games (AoW, AoW II, or Shadow Magic) would you guys recommend I start with? Does it even matter? I don't know whether they're an actual storyline trilogy or something like Civilization where each game is same at the core but different in execution.

Actually each game is the same at the core and more or less the same in execution as well. Well, they get better graphics and more races, but otherwise the game rules are more or less exactly the same. Keeping this in mind, Shadow Magic is the best game of the three, and if you only play one you should play that. Unless you're really into single player campaigns, which I'm not terribly fond of the AoW ones, then you could play them all I guess, but from a skirmish point of view, which is the meat of the game for me, Shadow Magic is by far the best and the only one you need to play.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My friends and I are looking for an action-packed FPS game, along the lines of Battlefield 2. We all have PCs. We're a diverse group, which basically means that the only thing that holds 100% of everyone's attention is big FPS military shootouts. Anything outside that range, and people tend to drop out and lose interest.

- must be cheap or free
- must run on older systems
- must have co-op against bots. Most of these guys are casuals.
- must be fairly easy to jump into
- must have a minimum of technical issues

As a group, we have enjoyed and have pretty much played out:
- Battlefield 2
- Counter Strike
- SWAT
- Operation Flashpoint (the original)
- IL-2

We didn't all enjoy, or a few of us basically refuse to play:
- Left 4 Dead (boring)
- Team Fortress 2 (no bots)
- Citizen Kabuto (managing a base is too hard and complicated)

We can't get these to work with everyone's PCs:
- Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising
- Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

The above two are kind of a heartbreak, because they've held the most potential for fun. Pretty much all of use want to run around on an island, steal tanks and helicopters, and cause A-Team level damage. Everything like that is either too new and expensive, has no co-op versus bots worth a drat, or doesn't work on Hamachi. I'm out of ideas, is there anything out there that will work for us?

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I'd say go with Rainbow 6.. the original one.

It's one of my favorite games ever, and they have it on GOG.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd say that Rainbow Six didn't age well. It's ugly as hell and the AI is kinda cheaty and lovely, and there's some controls quirks. If you were to play a traditional Rainbow Six game, I'd recommend Lockdown. It's much more bearable by today's standards.

Depending on the size of your group, you could play Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2. Those are pretty solid and fun squad based shooters. No, there's not anywhere near as much tactical depth as the original R6 games, and they Michael Bay it up a bit, but it's still a fun side series. Both the campaign and terrorist hunt modes are good fun.

Hijinkz
Apr 11, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I need something to tide me over before Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 come out. I've skimmed most of this thread and nothing really stood out so I'm not gonna get my hopes up, but I'm looking for a PC (or emulatable) action-RPG (free MMO is okay too) with the following (in order of priority from highest to lowest):

-scifi/fantasy setting thats not so generic (no Oblivion, Dragon Age, etc)
-sprawling cities to explore (I liked this aspect of WOW but not so much the gameplay; also, guessing that knocks the Mass Effect games out?)
-charming/interesting art design (preferably something more colorful, like FFIX)
-loot/customization

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

doctorfrog posted:

My friends and I are looking for an action-packed FPS game, along the lines of Battlefield 2. We all have PCs. We're a diverse group, which basically means that the only thing that holds 100% of everyone's attention is big FPS military shootouts. Anything outside that range, and people tend to drop out and lose interest.

- must be cheap or free
- must run on older systems
- must have co-op against bots. Most of these guys are casuals.
- must be fairly easy to jump into
- must have a minimum of technical issues

Battlefield Vietnam is an absolute BLAST! on LAN. It fits your description of a big military shootout, got bots, easy to jump into and along with a kickass soundtrack it offers great amounts of fun. Also it can be bought for cheap seeing as how this game is kinda old. ( came out in 2002 or 2003 if memory serves)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'd say that Rainbow Six didn't age well. It's ugly as hell and the AI is kinda cheaty and lovely, and there's some controls quirks. If you were to play a traditional Rainbow Six game, I'd recommend Lockdown. It's much more bearable by today's standards.

Depending on the size of your group, you could play Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2. Those are pretty solid and fun squad based shooters. No, there's not anywhere near as much tactical depth as the original R6 games, and they Michael Bay it up a bit, but it's still a fun side series. Both the campaign and terrorist hunt modes are good fun.

If you're playing old Rainbow Six, Raven Shield is the best game to play. Should run perfectly on older computers, and is much more the traditional Rainbow Six game than Lockdown. I've never played it co-op myself but I expect it would be pretty awesome.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Hijinkz posted:

I need something to tide me over before Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 come out.

I'd recommend Sacred II, even though it's leaning towards generic, but overall the charm factor should win out - the environment, quest flavour, design, and so on (it's quite witty). It's primarily a loot whore game, with it being randomised and dynamic and addictive in the best sense. You can customise your weapons and armour with runes and upgrades. The environment design is (I think) fairly gorgeous graphically, it feels like a proper lived-in world and is the best modern Diablo style RPG in that respect. It is absolutely huge (there are several sprawling cities much in the style of WoW - the whole map sprawls).

Apart from these factors the main reason to play it is that building a character is pretty satisying, because you can tailor them to suit your playstyle, and the combat is exciting, action orientated and differs from other games. It's challenging and sometimes you'll be on the verge of dying but you're never so close to it that you up and run away from the combat - you can always win just another fight, to buy yourself a short breather, before another massive mob turns up and you rip into them. If you like feeling powerful and having a game throw enemies at you then this is it.

The game has an interesting mechanic (called Survival Bonus) where the amount of battle time you've survived accumulates and increases things like character stats and the chance to find valuables. This is often a motivation for fighting on when you should probably drink a potion or hang back. Combined with the loot whoring it's quite compelling. Basically you'll want to never die during your playthrough, and part of the fun is being near death but knowing you'll make it out of the fight.

Important message to anyone who might consider playing Sacred II: when building a character and increasing skills (Combat Arts), it is important to note that you can permanently cripple yourself by raising them so high that the cooldown time is absolutely huge, and basically unplayable. They need to be increased in relation to character level, or sometimes not at all. It's recommended to read some pages that list nice builds and then work off them.

Sacred 2 wiki and the Dark Matters forum are good information sources.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I have a different kind of question but in the vein of this thread: I have a bunch of games in my backlog and I'd like something to keep me entertained for awhile. Which of these should I tackle first?

Persona 3: FES
Persona 4
Baldur's Gate 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Planescape Torment
Zone of The Enders 2 The 2nd Runner
STALKER: Shadow of Chernoboyl

One thing to note about the two infinity engine games is that I've never played anything like them before and I tried BG2 for a few minutes, liked the execution but kind of got lost in all the AD&D stuff and had no idea what skills to pick out. STALKER was really cool and I liked the atmosphere but I kinda got lost early on, tried following a guide and a lot of missions weren't showing up for me.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I've only played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. out of all of those but it's awesome and I think you should play that.

For those who have played Fallout: New Vegas, is it a game that would cater to someone who loved the survival-esque feeling of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

csidle posted:

I've only played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. out of all of those but it's awesome and I think you should play that.

For those who have played Fallout: New Vegas, is it a game that would cater to someone who loved the survival-esque feeling of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

You'd probably like Hardcore mode. In hardcore your healing items restore health over time instead of instantly, you need food, water and sleep to survive, and ammunition has weight which limits how much and what types you can carry. Some people (babbys :smug:) don't like it but I thought the extra resources to manage made NV feel more hostile and challenging. I only played the first Stalker but I can definitely see the parallels. Plus, the food mechanic is much less obtrusive than the one in Stalker, since the bar doesn't move as fast and it's much less important than water.