Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
LATEST UPDATE IS HERE

Pladdicus posted:

Movement: 6/9/6

I assume that means 6 at slow movement, 9 at flank (which gives penalties to hit) and 6 jump?

Also, my heat sinks means I can shoot my four lasers without generating any heat? How much heat is generated by walking?

1 heat for walking, 2 for running, 1 per hex (minimum 3 heat) for jumping.

Pladdicus posted:

Edit:You weren't kidding about rookie pilots!

5 piloting 4 gunnery is actually the inner sphere standard.

Also, that Grand Dragon is only supposed to be a normal DRG-1N Dragon, since I beefed up the Kurita light 'Mechs a bit (they were originally going to be Kurita-variant wasps and locusts, but then you guys wanted to bring a Griffin :3: ). It's been fixed.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Lets get through this clean and quick! I'm sure they all are packing something to make our trip home in a parachute. Just like training, i'm sure.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
The way I see it, I have two choices, I can take it slow, settle into some cover and wait for allies to catch up, then on Round 2 I can pop out, go all out on the tanks.

OR

I can charge ahead early and go all out on Round 1, leaving myself somewhat exposed. Of course, moving 9 hexes (though it'll be less due to terrain) should leave me a somewhat more difficult target for the 'mechs further back.

Tactical insight from the experienced?

To see if I have this right, if I move to 808 it'll cost

4=1(movement)+2(heavy woods)+1(elevation)?

Oh, is what I thought was heavy woods simply the hill?

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 23, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Pladdicus posted:

The way I see it, I have two choices, I can take it slow, settle into some cover and wait for allies to catch up, then on Round 2 I can pop out, go all out on the tanks.

OR

I can charge ahead early and go all out on Round 1, leaving myself somewhat exposed. Of course, moving 9 hexes (though it'll be less due to terrain) should leave me a somewhat more difficult target for the 'mechs further back.

Tactical insight from the experienced?

Those hovercraft are pretty well situated, defensively. You don't have many options to get a hit in on them first round. The terrain will eat your movement alive unless you jump, and your weapons ranges are kind of short. You could jump to, say, hex 1112 and fire everything at K5; you'd have to do nothing but flee next turn because you'd get nailed with some heat and there wouldn't be a GREAT chance of killing it outright first turn.

Disclaimer: I am not especially great at this game. :shobon:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Those hovercraft are pretty well situated, defensively. You don't have many options to get a hit in on them first round. The terrain will eat your movement alive unless you jump, and your weapons ranges are kind of short. You could jump to, say, hex 1112 and fire everything at K5; you'd have to do nothing but flee next turn because you'd get nailed with some heat and there wouldn't be a GREAT chance of killing it outright first turn.

Disclaimer: I am not especially great at this game. :shobon:

Yeah I've just started doing the math. That terrain is terribly hard to manouver around. I guess it's option 1 either way.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's tricky, but the good news is, the snakes only have one jumper vs. your four.

Edit: also, hovertanks can't move through woods, so they can only get off the river via 1622 or 2012, or by moving closer to you.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Just realized what I thought was dense woods was just the designation for the elevation (right?) Meaning 0808 is just elevation 2. Or did I have it right originally?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Quick question. Those red dots on the enemy hexes: They show which way the enemy mechs are facing, right?

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Considering that you guys are a bit a) spread out and b) not close enough to zerg rush the hovercraft without dying in a hail of gunfire, I would advocate taking it slow and luring them in. The Griffin and Blackjack can pin down their advanced units with the big guns to let the Jenner and Vulcan get in close to the hovercraft and take them out.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Light the fires and kick the tires, if you can get a shot on our primary as long as you can get there without falling down, go for it, jumping your max will give the max penalty to his shots! But don't rush out into the open now, leave yourself some room to retreat and draw them toward us.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yes, they do. I forgot to add them for the players, but everyone will have them next post.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You might be able to use terrain to your advantage here, too.

If the enemy is traveling NE, then you can ambush those hovercrafts in the canyon around hex 2012. That'll pin them in so they can't flee to the side, and provide you cover from the mechs, forcing them to go around to get clear shots at you. If you're lucky, they'll spread out as their lighter stuff gets around to you first, letting you pick them off one at a time.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Just remember, you guys are mercs. You can't spend your pay if you're dead. Knock out the hover tanks then bug out. If you can pick off the enemy mechs go ahead, but don't get distracted by them. Secondary Objectives are just that, secondary. PTN wanted to be saucy and brought out a drat heavy mech piloted probably by a Vet level pilot, so be wary.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Not opening fire until we've gotten into an ambush position, they haven't spotted me, so I'm going to take it easy and move up to 1314, take advantage of the tree cover until the assault begins proper.

Are they currently on the move? If so, at what rate are they moving?

I want to know if I should instead move to the opposite side of the inlet(river?)

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Yeah. There's something to be said for the Jenner doing a big jump and gambling that he can at least cripple one of the primary objectives round one; most of the Kurita mechs aren't going to be in good position to shoot him immediately, so he'll have another round to jump back over the hill and back off. On the other hand, the Jenner's armor is light enough that even one hit could ruin his day, and the prospects of taking out the hovercraft aren't excellent. It all comes down to Pladdicus' judgment. :3

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Bad Moon posted:

Just remember, you guys are mercs. You can't spend your pay if you're dead. Knock out the hover tanks then bug out. If you can pick off the enemy mechs go ahead, but don't get distracted by them. Secondary Objectives are just that, secondary. PTN wanted to be saucy and brought out a drat heavy mech piloted probably by a Vet level pilot, so be wary.

Remember Secondary objectives are more money in the bank, boys we can take them, just remember your training and focus fire when they come, they won't like us on their rock, and will want to try to get us off as fast as possible.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah. There's something to be said for the Jenner doing a big jump and gambling that he can at least cripple one of the primary objectives round one; most of the Kurita mechs aren't going to be in good position to shoot him immediately, so he'll have another round to jump back over the hill and back off. On the other hand, the Jenner's armor is light enough that even one hit could ruin his day, and the prospects of taking out the hovercraft aren't excellent. It all comes down to Pladdicus' judgment. :3

Specifically stated I haven't been spotted yet, so there's nothing to lose by taking it slow and getting into some kind of ambush position, I can start the fireworks if I get spotted, but until then, I might as well make my first real combat round count, instead of leaping in there like some kamikaze.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Also, but is anybody else feeling Hikaru Yoshita is the BattleTech Universe version of Korvat? :3:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

Also, but is anybody else feeling Hikaru Yoshita is the BattleTech Universe version of Korvat? :3:

He's almost DEFINITELY... oh, you get the idea.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Considering they can only move through the water, I'm going to take position somewhere around 1712 until the fight begins proper, that way, if need be, I can head off any escape attempt.

If there are no objections, I'll plot movement!

Edit: Orders sent. if all is correct I'll be facing Southeast in 1207 (If this doesn't need spoiler tags or shouldn't be posted at all, lemme know.)

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 23, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
For my own amusement I converted the current situation to a megamek scenario. If poptarts doesn't mind I can throw it up somewhere.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

For my own amusement I converted the current situation to a megamek save. If poptarts doesn't mind I can throw it up somewhere.

Oh man, this would be excellent to wargame out. :o

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

For my own amusement I converted the current situation to a megamek scenario. If poptarts doesn't mind I can throw it up somewhere.

thats exactly how i'm planning my moves, and it helps a ton.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

Even if he jumps as close to K5 as possible, that's still a fairly long-range shot with his weaponry and he's gonna have a ton of penalties to his roll (from jumping). Plus you have the OpFor movement phase before he can fire, so K5 can just boogy out of range. It might not, being Kurita, but IMO either staying put or trying to creep up stealthily (lol mechs sneaking) while the rest of the lance rolls up is the better choice.

Edit: J. Edgars are fast loving tanks, too (hesitant to post the numbers but trust me on this) you guys really should try to get the drop on them if at all possible.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 23, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Even if he jumps as close to K5 as possible, that's still a fairly long-range shot with his weaponry and he's gonna have a ton of penalties to his roll (from jumping). Plus you have the OpFor movement phase before he can fire, so K5 can just boogy out of range. It might not, being Kurita, but IMO either staying put or trying to creep up stealthily (lol mechs sneaking) while the rest of the lance rolls up is the better choice.

Not to mention the fact that the two tanks could probably take me out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

Plus you have the OpFor movement phase before he can fire

They count as having moved already, so this is inaccurate.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Not to mention the fact that the two tanks could probably take me out.

Jumping as far as you might be, probably not. That's a pretty big penalty to their rolls. And J. Edgars are relatively lightly armed (I figure this is something most pilots would know at least generally, if it's not cool I'll edit it out PTN).

PoptartsNinja posted:

They count as having moved already, so this is inaccurate.

That's kind of another argument against the 'jump+shoot' plan then, because we have no idea how fast they've been moving and that type of tank can rack up some impressive speed penalties.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WarLocke posted:

Jumping as far as you might be, probably not. That's a pretty big penalty to their rolls. And J. Edgars are relatively lightly armed (I figure this is something most pilots would know at least generally, if it's not cool I'll edit it out PTN).

That's kind of another argument against the 'jump+shoot' plan then, because we have no idea how fast they've been moving and that type of tank can rack up some impressive speed penalties.

The movements were posted on the last page.

quote:

K6 J. Edgar light hover tank
Cruised: 5

It'll still be pretty hard to hit on this turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

Actually, you do. It says so at the bottom of the post, unless I hosed something up.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Actually, you do. It says so at the bottom of the post, unless I hosed something up.

No, just me being a dumbass. :doh:

Carry on.

Longinus00 posted:

The movements were posted on the last page.

It'll still be pretty hard to hit on this turn.

Yeah, that's not as bad as it could be but I still advise a slow, cautious approach.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
What are the rules on backing up?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Same as normal movement (1 point per hex, 1 point to turn + terrain modifers) except you can't go up/down elevations, IIRC. Also you can't run backwards.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Pladdicus posted:

You can back up as much as far as yor walking speed, and is treated as a walk for the movement accuracy penalty. I'm not sure what kind of rules are in play, but there are optional rules that require a piloting skill roll when backing up over an elevation change.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Xmas Future posted:

You can back up as much as far as yor walking speed, and is treated as a walk for the movement accuracy penalty. I'm not sure what kind of rules are in play, but there are optional rules that require a piloting skill roll when backing up over an elevation change.

Excellent! I've been doing some duels on Megamek to get a hold of the rules.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Edit: I am the Jenner Pilot - D (whoops)

So I am as green as grass about mechwarrior, so I need some tactical advice on what the heck I should do. My instinct says to move south, using the hill as a screen until the situation develops. With my big jump distance I should be able to reposition quickly.

So I think I should Walk to 0409

Thoughts?

Also, do we have a concept of operations from out lieutenant :D

IMHO, operationally, we should aim to kill the entire hostile force - it's a counter recon, we need kill as many of their recon elements as we can.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 23, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Edit: I am the Jenner Pilot - C

So I am as green as grass about mechwarrior, so I need some tactical advice on what the heck I should do. My instinct says to move south, using the hill as a screen until the situation develops. With my big jump distance I should be able to reposition quickly.

Thoughts?

IMHO, operationally, we should aim to kill the entire hostile force - it's a counter recon, we need kill as many of their recon elements as we can.

Not sure if I misread the - C but I believe the Jenner is D, of course, if you knew that and the C meant something else, my apologies.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Edit: I am the Jenner Pilot - C

Thoughts?

You need to talk with Pladdicus in the vulcan to coordinate your actions. ^^^ that guy

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Pladdicus posted:

Not sure if I misread the - C but I believe the Jenner is D, of course, if you knew that and the C meant something else, my apologies.

Yeah, it is D, my bad.

So any thoughts? I think hiding behind the hill, and/or sniping from the hill then jumping anyone who comes over the hill with closed range weapons (an ad-hoc reverse slop defense) seems like a good move.

I'm not sure enough of the game to understand the relative balance of firepower between our lance and theirs, if any of the more experienced players wants to throw in their thoughts on the short/long/medium firepower disparity.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, it is D, my bad.

So any thoughts? I think hiding behind the hill, and/or sniping from the hill then jumping anyone who comes over the hill with closed range weapons (an ad-hoc reverse slop defense) seems like a good move.

I'm not sure enough of the game to understand the relative balance of firepower between our lance and theirs, if any of the more experienced players wants to throw in their thoughts on the short/long/medium firepower disparity.

Right now sniping isn't an option with your build, both of you light mechs need to run screens meaning that you dash about and take shots when you can without exposing yourself completely. your range is possibly your biggest obsticale, you are a knife fighter, try to get behind them or draw them toward us, then flank them and shoot them in the back :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
My basic idea of the plan was that we would split outselves, half on 1513->1913 area, and the rest on the other side of the bank. Provided we weren't seen by about round 2, we engage, splitting our fire between the two tanks, then, if it is tactically viable, engage the rest of the enemy lance.

Unless we get spotted, then it's a mad dash to blow up those tanks fire at will kind of situation.

• Locked thread