Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Huh. Broken, gushing water/sewer pipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Converted Broadside is nearly done, only some minor filling and sanding left to do.
This was quite a bit of work, but the other to i plan on doing should be a good deal quicker since i now know exactly what cuts to make.

It's next to a normal one for comparison and the drill bit props it up since it's a bit heavy in the front due to the railgun arms.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Bistromatic posted:

Converted Broadside is nearly done, only some minor filling and sanding left to do.
This was quite a bit of work, but the other to i plan on doing should be a good deal quicker since i now know exactly what cuts to make.

It's next to a normal one for comparison and the drill bit props it up since it's a bit heavy in the front due to the railgun arms.

:drat: That suit conversion is loving dope, dude. I tried to do the same thing, but totally ended up half assing it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sole.Sushi posted:

Huh. Broken, gushing water/sewer pipe?

Chemical tank...uhh, thingie. But yeah, same idea.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I just ordered some old metal GK terminators because I want to have some of the old ones when the new codex hits in April. Could someone who knows painting grey knights tell me how you did yours? These models are so loving cool I really don't want to screw them up.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Grey Knight terminators are for chumps :v:

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Sade posted:

I just ordered some old metal GK terminators because I want to have some of the old ones when the new codex hits in April. Could someone who knows painting grey knights tell me how you did yours? These models are so loving cool I really don't want to screw them up.

GK/Inquisition really is getting a new book? Dammit, GW doesn't need more of my money. . .

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

Chemical tank...uhh, thingie. But yeah, same idea.

Step 1) Fishing line, cut into short strands, arranged to form a skeleton for the gushing.
Step 2) Apply water effects a bit at a time to the strands until thick.
Step 3) Drip water effects down in the direction you wish the water to go to give a more natural gushing. Do this several times.
Step 4) Attach to hole in item. Look sexy.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

lighttigersoul posted:

GK/Inquisition really is getting a new book? Dammit, GW doesn't need more of my money. . .

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=14300088a

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I think I've decided to paint my Grey Knights the color grey, and to have weathering in the form of chip marks using metallic paints. Just hope nobody remembers that Grey Knights are supposed to leave their armor unpainted in the first place. :v:

All-metal would look cool, though:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I have the good fortune of having a loving mother and understanding GIRLFRIEND who have decided to get me an airbrush for my birthday next month. Is the Harbor Freight model that HKR recommends still a great loving deal, or has a slightly better airbrush set been marked down into that range?

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Bistromatic posted:

Not a huge Tau fan but that looks a million times better. Do you have a parts breakdown list or tutorial?

EDIT: Rude to post without pics of my own. Here's my most recent stuff.

Personal Catachan:

Commission Skaven Plague Furnace (NOW OPEN FOR NEW COMMISSION WORK IF IT'S FUN)

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 22, 2011

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I built up an Imperial scout car today, and I'll be using the Forgeworld rules for Salamander scout or command tanks for it. Let me know if it looks good or I'm the next Blue Pyramid:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
It needs more suspension stuff between the wheels, and I might add some stowage or something to the back to break up all the flat space, but I think it looks real good otherwise

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

BuffaloChicken posted:

Not a huge Tau fan but that looks a million times better. Do you have a parts breakdown list or tutorial?

Parts for one suit are:
1 Space Marine Jumppack
2 Stealth Suit torsos
2 Stealth Suit shoulder pads (the variant with the little icon)
2 Pulse Carbines (any will do, you just need the underslung grenade launcher)

The pieces i'd have expected to be most expensive, the stealth suit torsos, actually only cost 1$ per piece at https://www.apocabitznow.com and for some reason i hat the Jumppacks lying around, no idea where they came from.

If i remember i can take pictures on where to make cuts and how it fits together when i do the other two, otherwise i'll be happy to answer questions. If i feel like it tomorrow i might also do a write-up prior to that but no promises.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Looks like the Imperial shortbus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
More like the Imperial Smart Car. It needs to be a bit longer, really. It's too...abrupt.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Too tall for its length, definitely. That turret just sorta puts it over the top.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

SRM posted:

:raise:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

adamantium|wang posted:

:raise:

Was actually going more for the Humber:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This took me way too loving long.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
That termie looks sharp. Nice work man.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you swap the heavy bolter and the comms array, it would look a lot more like the unrelated photo. (And move the headlights to the other fenders I guess, and put some windows in, and rotate the turret to face the new front.)

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Now that I think about it, I bet it wouldn't look 'too tall' (even though I kinda like it) without the driver and with one of the old style chimera turrets

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

uncle jimbo posted:

Now that I think about it, I bet it wouldn't look 'too tall' (even though I kinda like it) without the driver and with one of the old style chimera turrets

I wanted a heavy stubber on it, since I love the dang things so much. An old chim turret would've made it look a little sleeker, but I always think of scout cars as being kinda tall so it looks alright to me. I was inspired by a really nice scout car I saw in an old WD battle report, back when they had people use their own armies instead of the 'Eavy Metal ones. It was similar to this but a bit longer since it used part of a chimera hull too. You don't realize how small a Leman Russ hull is until you take off the treads on the sides.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bachtere posted:

I like to base with Iyanden or Tausept Ochre mixed with a foundation brown. Then mix in more of your chosen foundation yellowish color, and for the later highlights, add in Sunburst or whatever yellow you have in hand.

The key is to always have some of that foundation color in your mix, so you'll always have better coverage. Though it does lend to a duller yellow (though I paint everything over black primer). Some examples of that type of yellow:

Goddamnit stop making me want to paint little metal men!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Dreadrot posted:

Goddamnit stop making me want to paint little metal men!

Do it already.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm painting up Blood Angels pretty much in codex colours, using the painting guide that GW put up for the Space Hulk terminators here.

However I've now got around to painting my Honour Guard and I hate painting gold, so I was thinking about going with silver armour and a red helmet using the above scheme.

I don't have any spare minis lying around to do this to, and definitely don't want to do it to my fancy-pants Honour Guard and regret it, so... does anyone have any opinion on how this would look?

EDIT: FWIW my girlfriend said she thought they'd look like christmas decorations :saddowns:

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 23, 2011

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

ineptmule posted:

christmas decorations :saddowns:

:v:

why not try something with a yellow instead of gold? use tau-sept ochre as a base or something and highlight up to a real extreme highlight?

Or, go with silver and give it several licks of sepia ink afterwards for a faux gold that looks the dogs danglies.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

enri posted:

Or, go with silver and give it several licks of sepia ink afterwards for a faux gold that looks the dogs danglies.
This is a good option. Washes are pretty loving nice. The only downside is that you lose some of the natural sheen from using metalic paints so you might want to hit it with clear coat or something. I sometimes touch up the wash with some more silver for highlights and other little tweaks.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Question! I have come across an extra Skaven Doomwheel, and one of the little bits is a line of rats that go on the inside of the wheel.

This bit is curved to conform to the shape of the wheel. I think it'd be pretty sweet to straighten it and use it as a bunch of rats on a base somewhere. Is it possible to straighten it without breaking it? I thought maybe heating it some way but was curious if someone had some advice before I mess up my extra cool bit here.

(its plastic)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Angryboot posted:

This took me way too loving long.

That is loving nice.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Oh yeah so I painted a thing

Turned out better than I expected. I left the reins off because they look loving goofy, and I left the throne off because his spikey helmet gets in the way. I'm really happy with how the shield came out though! Now I have a backlog of Cryx to work on.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
That stone is incredible. How'd you do it?

Also, purple rocks.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fix posted:

Too tall for its length, definitely. That turret just sorta puts it over the top.

Not necessarily. It reminds me a lot of the MRAPs we use. They're almost comically tall compared to their length.

I think it looks pretty cool, and definitely looks like a lot like a Humber as well. Make me actually want to build one. I used to have an Armored Company, and I never got around to making all the cool little side vehicles like Trojans and Centaurs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

That stone is incredible. How'd you do it?

Also, purple rocks.

Solid coat of khemri, washed in devlan then black. Dry brush of khemri, then khemri and bleached bone, and final drybrush of bleached bone. I may have hit a few of the hard edges with white to stand out more. I watered down some catachan green and washed some of the recesses because I don't have any mossy green stuff to glue onto it.

As for the blue gem pillar thing, I can't remember.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Carver was for a friend for Christmas. Turns out, I also got Calaban for Christmas. He is....mostly armless right now.

Click here for the full 720x538 image.

Click here for the full 720x538 image.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hell Diver posted:

Not necessarily. It reminds me a lot of the MRAPs we use. They're almost comically tall compared to their length.

I think it looks pretty cool, and definitely looks like a lot like a Humber as well. Make me actually want to build one. I used to have an Armored Company, and I never got around to making all the cool little side vehicles like Trojans and Centaurs.

Thanks dude, glad someone else thinks it's cool too! I would love an armored company eventually, but nobody's trading for Chimeras these days.

I also painted a thing:

I've since fixed his effed up eye. Missed it until I saw the photos.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

ineptmule posted:

EDIT: FWIW my girlfriend said she thought they'd look like christmas decorations :saddowns:

Your girlfriend is probably right. How about the original scheme, red with gold helmets? They have enough bling on them that they'd still stand out I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sade posted:

Just noticed no one gave you actual advice, sorry. Do you want standard metallic looks, or the far more pro choice of non-metallic? IF the former, basecoat your choice of boltgun or chainmail, wash badab, lightly drybrush with the basecoat color. Add edge highlights with mithril. Pick out details in red/black/blue, boom done.

• Locked thread