Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Original_Z posted:

Ah, I guess that would make sense. I guess it's typical of E-ink screens if the Sony also does it? It won't cause any damage to the unit when it's being used in those temperatures, right?

I wouldn't go outside with it in say -60 degree weather but it should be fine in normal winter weather. You may have noticed but devices with LCD screens can have the same thing happen in low temps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've got a few different questions.

I have an iPad but with all the apps+internet+etc I have issues staying involved with a book. I'm thinking that a Kindle or Nook would be better for me since it will only be associated with books. Smart purchase?

How good are the Nook B&N discounts and in store features?

Which is easier on the eyes, the Nook or Kindle? Any big differences in quality or consistency of the ereaders themselves?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have an iPad but with all the apps+internet+etc I have issues staying involved with a book. I'm thinking that a Kindle or Nook would be better for me since it will only be associated with books. Smart purchase?

Which is easier on the eyes, the Nook or Kindle? Any big differences in quality or consistency of the ereaders themselves?

The best quality ereaders in my opinion are the Kindle 3 and Nook (non-color). If you are looking to JUST READ BOOKS, and don't care about having an SD Card or full access to your device, the Kindle has better hardware. The Nook's refresh rate and screen crispness have mostly caught up, but overall i can sideload books fine on my kindle, reading is fantastic and its what i would recommend.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Duckman2008 posted:

The best quality ereaders in my opinion are the Kindle 3 and Nook (non-color). If you are looking to JUST READ BOOKS, and don't care about having an SD Card or full access to your device, the Kindle has better hardware. The Nook's refresh rate and screen crispness have mostly caught up, but overall i can sideload books fine on my kindle, reading is fantastic and its what i would recommend.

I picked up a Kindle at Target today for $133. It definitely seems like the best one for me since I only really care about reading. Too bad it's charging now, I need to curl up and get used to it soon :D

Agent Pendergast
Jun 2, 2010
Is anyone using a Nook color that isn't rooted, how is it as a reader? I'm considering changing from an e-ink reader to the color, anyone care to share similar experiences? How does the Nook do with books from torrent sites?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't know anything about the Nook, but looking at its LCD bit, I think I prefer that my Kindle feels "off", if that makes sense. Like a book isn't "on". So that may be beneficial for you.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Agent Pendergast posted:

Is anyone using a Nook color that isn't rooted, how is it as a reader? I'm considering changing from an e-ink reader to the color, anyone care to share similar experiences? How does the Nook do with books from torrent sites?

I dunno about torrent sites, but I do have my schoolwork and syllabi on my nook color, including some ridiculous 500 page textbook. They're all PDFs. The NC also does well with epubs. I have a bunch of books from google books and gutenberg, and they all register without a problem.

The screen's pretty easy on my eyes, and it dims pretty low for when I'm reading in bed and my wife's sleeping.

edit: is there a misconception that once you root the NC, you can't access the bn store on it any more? Because that's totally not the case.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 24, 2011

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Agent Pendergast posted:

I use the Nook Color as a reader all the time, and it's great. It handles PDF and Epub like a champ.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Bobstar posted:

I don't know anything about the Nook, but looking at its LCD bit, I think I prefer that my Kindle feels "off", if that makes sense. Like a book isn't "on". So that may be beneficial for you.
I know exactly what you mean, but the LCD screen shuts off automatically while you're reading, so that helps a lot with that. The downside to that which I've never seen mentioned is it becomes a reflective surface which can be kind of distracting if you're holding it at certain angles. I guess the upside, though, is you can use it to watch your back!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm going through playing with metadata for books in Calibre. Does this get permanently added to the books or is it just when they're viewed in Calibre? If not is there some way to embed it?

edit : If I bulk edit metadata to capitalise Title is there some way to make it do it to Title Sort too rather than having to go through individual records and click the button when the Title Sort is red?

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 24, 2011

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
So I have a bunch of ePubs I bought for mobiPocket on my old windows 6 phone and would like to get into ebooks again. Will any of these devices let me load my old random epubs with no loving around with drm or conversions or hoops to jump through to get them synced?

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Is the formatting of Kindle books the same as it appears in a sample downloaded to the PC reader? Same question for Library EPUBs being read in Adobe DE, would it look the same on, say, a Kobo?

I've been looking at samples and comparing them to the actual text and to EPUBs from my Library, and if what I'm seeing is an accurate representation of what's out there, I'm honestly surprised at the Kindle's popularity.

I downloaded a sample of William Gibson's Spook Country from Amazon, downloaded it from my Library, and took a look at some scans of the actual pages from Google. The EPUB looks like pages torn from the book, only better. The Kindle sample looks like it was written in Word, and for some reason the first letter of each chapter is on a separate line, so "The old man" looks like
"T
he old man."

I noticed the same thing in a paid copy of A Tale of Two Cities. And since I figured their like #1 best seller for a billion years would look awesome, I downloaded a sample of The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. Pretty much the same deal. I mean, I don't expect every book to look amazing, but I figured their top sellers would stand above the rest.

Of course, the books on Kobo might be the same. I can't actually sample them.

Nook is out because :canada:.

Are my expectations simply too high? I mean, if the Toronto Library can get amazing looking books like this, why can't Amazon? Maybe this ebook business just isn't for me...

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

man thats gross posted:

I downloaded a sample of William Gibson's Spook Country from Amazon, downloaded it from my Library, and took a look at some scans of the actual pages from Google. The EPUB looks like pages torn from the book, only better. The Kindle sample looks like it was written in Word, and for some reason the first letter of each chapter is on a separate line, so "The old man" looks like
"T
he old man."

I just checked my Kindle and iphone and I don't have this issue with the Spook Country sample.

I've yet to have a formatting issue with Amazon books but some publishers are better than others at providing extra stuff like proper chapter breaks.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Here's what I'm talking about. Amazon sample on the left, EPUB from the library on the right.

And here's a scan of the actual book for comparison:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Ammm5BYnJfgC&lpg=PP1&dq=spook%20country&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
The free books mostly have lovely formatting, but all the professional ebooks I've seen on my kindle look exactly like printed books.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All the paid books from Amazon I have look great. The free ones are hit and miss. Count of Monte Cristo is a disaster on the Kindle.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Well, that was Amazon's sample of a $9 copy of Spook Country. Are even the samples going to look like public domain crap? How the hell are you supposed to know what you're buying?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

man thats gross posted:

Well, that was Amazon's sample of a $9 copy of Spook Country. Are even the samples going to look like public domain crap? How the hell are you supposed to know what you're buying?

Something is up with the Kindle software on the PC then. I'm looking at it right now on my iphone and it doesn't look like that.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

I think it's just the kindle pc app that's doing that. I've had things look a bit odd on it before but look fine on the kindle. There are some pretty badly formatted books books on amazon though. I saw one that was entirely in italics for some reason. I checked the actual book and it was not supposed to be like that :confused:

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
I'll take a peek on my iPhone too then.

Edit: Same weird line split on the iPhone app. I just noticed that the link from inkmesh is for a US-only version. That may explain why no one else has the same issue. This is the only version I can download: http://www.amazon.com/Spook-Country-ebook/dp/B003RRWQY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AZC9TZ4UC9CFC&s=digital-text&qid=1295885311&sr=1-1.

Edit 2: Yup. Changed to an American address, downloaded the sample. No weird line break, and I also noticed the Canadian version was missing the space after any italicized words, which is also not an issue on the American version.

Why does Amazon hate Canada?

man thats gross fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 24, 2011

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

maxnmona posted:

The free books mostly have lovely formatting, but all the professional ebooks I've seen on my kindle look exactly like printed books.

Stephen King's IT has horrific OCR-errors. I told Amazon about it 3 months ago, just redownloaded it, and they're still there. I made a point out of making a note for every error.

To be fair, it's the only "horrific" one I've seen.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
Sorry to resurrect case chat, but I got the reboots and returned my non-lighted official case to Best Buy. I really liked the feel of the case, but I think like one handing the superlight kindle too. What's the goon consensus on the lighted case. It seems to review positively at Amazon except for complaints (although off lesser frequency) of reboots (I suppose similar to the non-lighted case), the light failing to work after a few months, difficulty extending the light, and uneven lighting. The unofficial options don't look any better. I'm thinking about saying the hell with it and getting a Timbuk2 sleeve. Do those of you that have this sleeve (with a kindle 3) like it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

man thats gross posted:

The eReader Megathread: Everyone Hates Canada

yes, no?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

man thats gross posted:

I'll take a peek on my iPhone too then.

Edit: Same weird line split on the iPhone app. I just noticed that the link from inkmesh is for a US-only version. That may explain why no one else has the same issue. This is the only version I can download: http://www.amazon.com/Spook-Country-ebook/dp/B003RRWQY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AZC9TZ4UC9CFC&s=digital-text&qid=1295885311&sr=1-1.

Edit 2: Yup. Changed to an American address, downloaded the sample. No weird line break, and I also noticed the Canadian version was missing the space after any italicized words, which is also not an issue on the American version.

I'm going to guess that for some reason that book has a different publisher in Canada then in America, and the publisher in Canada really sucks at providing good quality ebooks.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

thedouche posted:

Sorry to resurrect case chat, but I got the reboots and returned my non-lighted official case to Best Buy. I really liked the feel of the case, but I think like one handing the superlight kindle too. What's the goon consensus on the lighted case. It seems to review positively at Amazon except for complaints (although off lesser frequency) of reboots (I suppose similar to the non-lighted case), the light failing to work after a few months, difficulty extending the light, and uneven lighting. The unofficial options don't look any better. I'm thinking about saying the hell with it and getting a Timbuk2 sleeve. Do those of you that have this sleeve (with a kindle 3) like it?

It's great and the light works really well. It probably doubles the weight but it's still light enough to hold easily in one hand.

edit: plus the elastic strap is great if you read on crowded trains and are worried about it being bumped out of your hand.

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 24, 2011

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

fishmech posted:

I'm going to guess that for some reason that book has a different publisher in Canada then in America, and the publisher in Canada really sucks at providing good quality ebooks.

American:
Publisher: Berkley (August 7, 2007)
Sold by: Penguin Publishing

Canadian:
Publisher: Berkley (March 3, 2009)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services

Iunno. This is getting exhausted.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

man thats gross posted:

I noticed the same thing in a paid copy of A Tale of Two Cities. And since I figured their like #1 best seller for a billion years would look awesome, I downloaded a sample of The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. Pretty much the same deal. I mean, I don't expect every book to look amazing, but I figured their top sellers would stand above the rest.

Of course, the books on Kobo might be the same. I can't actually sample them.

Nook is out because :canada:.

Are my expectations simply too high? I mean, if the Toronto Library can get amazing looking books like this, why can't Amazon? Maybe this ebook business just isn't for me...

I have the paid copy of girl who kicked a hornets nest, and there are no formatting issues whatsoever on my kindle.

In fact the only formatting issues I've had period are with a free copy of Count of Monte Cristo...every other book I've gotten has been perfect.

So either they hate Canada (very likely, who doesn't?) or the PC app is screwy.

indecision
May 17, 2009

man thats gross posted:

The formatting and any spelling/OCR errors are up to the publisher. Amazon just sells what the publisher uploads.

So in the case of free books, you're relying on work done by volunteers, and in most cases you're getting a file that was originally an ePub and then converted to MOBI/AZW. The conversion isn't always perfect, especially since ePub supports things like multiple fonts and drop-caps that are unsupported in MOBI/AZW.

For paid books, it depends entirely on the publisher. Some take the time to make it look nice, some just convert the original MS Word/OpenOffice/whatever file and upload it however it looks.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure amazon does returns on ebooks anyway.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

stubblyhead posted:

I'm pretty sure amazon does returns on ebooks anyway.

They do, up to 7 days after buying it too.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Solvency posted:

They do, up to 7 days after buying it too.

I'm pretty sure in the UK at least, it's a legal requirement for essentially all online purchases to have a "cooling off period" of 7 days minimum. It's not just an Amazon policy, although they'd probably like you to think it is.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
So I dropped and broke my rooted Nook color today. It won't turn on and there's a small crack in the screen. I *do* have Amazon's extended warranty for it, though.

If I send it back and they see its rooted, are they just going to tell me "Tough luck" or will they fix it since its obviously damage caused by a drop and not a software issue?

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

The case issues are annoying because I just picked up a K3 to replace my broken K2 and I loved the official case and I'm just so used to tucking my hand under the strap for a better hold. :( Don't really want a lighted one due to the price/bulk.

Are there any non-Amazon cases that are hinged and aren't the designer ones? I don't really like the straps thing that M-Edge uses and I can't really afford to drop $100 on a case. I can live without the strap, but I really liked the hinge system since I don't plan on taking it out of the case.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Kilometers Davis posted:

I picked up a Kindle at Target today for $133. It definitely seems like the best one for me since I only really care about reading. Too bad it's charging now, I need to curl up and get used to it soon :D

You can use it while charging. If it's plugged into your computer, just eject the Kindle from My Computer or whatever. It'll keep charging while you read! :science:

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Nate Falls posted:

You can use it while charging. If it's plugged into your computer, just eject the Kindle from My Computer or whatever. It'll keep charging while you read! :science:

I'm fairly sure the Kindle's charging screen says this in big letters in the middle of the screen.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nate Falls posted:

I tried that but it still wouldn't let me past that screen. No big deal, it's fully charged now and that should last me a good 500 years.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Murodese posted:

Is there anything that'll use RSS/Mangle to automatically sync manga that I specify onto my Kindle3? I could write a script, but definitely :effort: if there's already something someone has done.

I wrote a script that does this completely silently based on either a cronjob or scheduled task but a) it's a bitch to install and run (it is literally an abomination of mangle and my own code because mangle has no cli interface) and b) I don't actually have my kindle yet so I haven't completed to copy-to-kindle part yet :geno:

That said, it works pretty well - once it's done it should be able to automatically grab chosen manga from mangatraders via inputted rss feeds and grab+convert+upload them straight to your kindle.

e; actually I can modify it slightly so that it's easily portable but I have no idea how the GPL works and whether I can repackage mangle code :v:

Murodese fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 25, 2011

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

My Custom Manga Script

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Kilometers Davis posted:

I tried that but it still wouldn't let me past that screen. No big deal, it's fully charged now and that should last me a good 500 years.

Windows 7? You need to eject it from the computer screen, not the taskbar hardware icon.

Or charge it from the Amazon power adapter.

Or switch to Mac. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've noticed it only works if I go to My Computer and eject it via the drives list, as fordan says. Calibre's eject doesn't work.