Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Right now sniping isn't an option with your build, both of you light mechs need to run screens meaning that you dash about and take shots when you can without exposing yourself completely. your range is possibly your biggest obsticale, you are a knife fighter, try to get behind them or draw them toward us, then flank them and shoot them in the back :cool:

The problem with that is that the enemy is split, getting behind the tanks means exposing our flanks to them. Me and him should take the ambush spot I'm moving to and you two can start the fighting, then he and I can follow up with that once the fightings started.

The basic idea is that we don't start firing until the a turn comes up in which we can all open fire, to take advantage of our element of surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Axe-man posted:

Right now sniping isn't an option with your build, both of you light mechs need to run screens meaning that you dash about and take shots when you can without exposing yourself completely. your range is possibly your biggest obsticale, you are a knife fighter, try to get behind them or draw them toward us, then flank them and shoot them in the back :cool:

Yeah, basically this. Think of it as like playing a rogue in any RPG: your job is to kite around the enemies and use your speed to either get behind and backstab them, or set them up for your heavy-hitters to take out. Any time you are not moving fast you are maximizing your weaknesses and minimizing your strengths.

That said, what Pladdicus said holds true: if you run into an enemy group without support, you've got a death wish. Coordinate with the other light mechs and move in unison. Jenners are death machines when they have backup, they move hella fast and have surprising punch for their size.

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 23, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm not sure enough of the game to understand the relative balance of firepower between our lance and theirs, if any of the more experienced players wants to throw in their thoughts on the short/long/medium firepower disparity.

Your Jenner is armed with medium lasers and short-range missiles; they both have the same range (max of 9 hexes) which is about the same as everything on the other side except the Dragon (its autocannon and long-range missiles go out to 15 and 21 hexes respectively).

The OpFor Jenner is the same as your ride, the Spider is actually faster than you but has half the weaponry. Then you have the unknown light and the Dragon, which is heavier than all of your mechs and about as fast as the Griffin (but not jump-capable) - the Dragon's weakness is that it's biggest guns are long-range and have minimum ranges - it has medium lasers as well but getting up close and personal will marginalize its other armament.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
i almost want to give a sand chart to show our plan, but not sure if that would be spoilers (hell i don't know for sure how everyone is moving yet myself) if templar comes on soon, we could get the first turn done in a night... which would be awesome :v:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Axe-man posted:

I meant the the guys with longer guns (the griffon and the axe thing snipe) because I sense we have longer range from behind the hill, then the short range knife fighters smash them as they came over the hill or around the forest at close range. Essentially the snipers bait the trap, then the short range mechs try and gang the other guys 1 by 1 as they come into range

Might not even be a plan though.

A sand chart would be awesome.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 23, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Axe-man posted:

i almost want to give a sand chart to show our plan, but not sure if that would be spoilers (hell i don't know for sure how everyone is moving yet myself) if templar comes on soon, we could get the first turn done in a night... which would be awesome :v:

Aren't you all on the same side? Shouldn't you all know each others moves?

PoptartsNinja, sorry if I missed it but the ruleset is TW right? They changed the "heights" of units and I'm guessing that'll be important next few turn.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I meant the the guys with longer guns (the griffon and the axe thing snipe) because I sense we have longer range from behind the hill, then we smash them as they came over the hill or around the forest at close range.

Might not even be a plan though.

A sand chart would be awesome.

You (jenner and vulcan) have range parity with the tanks. Flanking vehicles is also typically more dangerous than mechs because turrets can swivel 360.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 23, 2011

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man, I so wanna get into this. GIant Robots are awesome. And remember, Chicks. Dig. Giant. Robots.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

A Grand Dragon?

Oh, man. That sucks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
A not so grand Dragon.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

Aren't you all on the same side? Shouldn't you all know each others moves?

We don't have the moves we pm to poptarts but we can try to organize here :)

Click here for the full 1139x1317 image.

Red is the projected path to the kill zone, C can go either way, as long as it draws the force toward the kill zone, represented by orange.

Purple is the movement we want from the opforce

the cyan is the most likely flank they will try to pull and that is why the long rangers can hang back in the area near where i put them. I like that central area, cause of the forests and hills will allow us to play cat and mouse if need be and best of all divide the forces with the terrian.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
C here, taking the upper path. Hold fire until A) We've been spotted or B)We get into position (meaning everyone can fire, or atleast 3/4ths of us.)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Okay I like that plan and it fits my proposed orders.

Just to be clear, movement speads like 7/11/5 are walking/running/jump?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Indeed.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Okay I like that plan and it fits my proposed orders.

Just to be clear, movement speads like 7/11/5 are walking/running/jump?

Movement: 7 walk/11 run/5 jump to clarify for anyone else as well

your right exactly.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Axe-man posted:

We don't have the moves we pm to poptarts but we can try to organize here :)

Click here for the full 1139x1317 image.

Red is the projected path to the kill zone, C can go either way, as long as it draws the force toward the kill zone, represented by orange.

Purple is the movement we want from the opforce

the cyan is the most likely flank they will try to pull and that is why the long rangers can hang back in the area near where i put them. I like that central area, cause of the forests and hills will allow us to play cat and mouse if need be and best of all divide the forces with the terrian.

Just remember to account for LOS from tree hexes when positioning to fire.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Longinus00 posted:

Come on, painstakingly maneuvering to get into the PERFECT firing position only to be told by some smug rear end that you don't actually have LOS to his unit is the spirit of Battletech in a nutshell, we can recreate it here.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

This is where mektek shines, especially when connecting to yourself, I'll prolly move more to the right then the griffin at least that is my idea, cause i'm shorter range, that would allow me to cover more of the zone and use my jump jets to move forward more.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Oh hey, are you guys going to do that thing where you hide in the trees and then shut down so they don't spot you until you're ready to power up and kill them?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Gothsheep posted:

Oh hey, are you guys going to do that thing where you hide in the trees and then shut down so they don't spot you until you're ready to power up and kill them?

not enough time, and i believe it takes a turn to startup, but it might be from a cold start. That type of ambush requires more trees and a better direction for them to attack from.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Okay, I'm going to walk to 310 this turn and see how the situation develops.

Edit: Orders submitted

Edit 2: Thanks for the help all.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 23, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Looking at the map, is anyone else expecting that we're hitting some kind of assault lances flank? I don't know, seems like there are far more off map or something :tinfoil:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Looking at the map, is anyone else expecting that we're hitting some kind of assault lances flank? I don't know, seems like there are far more off map or something :tinfoil:

Assault lances usually would be behind this group as this group out runs it easily

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have enough surprises in store for you in this fight that you don't really need to worry too much about blundering into an Atlas. If I pull too many punches, things'll be boring.

I'm surprised nobody's done a tactical analysis of the J. Edgar yet.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've probably forgotten a lot of the vehicle rules, but J. Edgars are hover tanks (thus they can't enter wooded terrain but are just fine over water) that move at 12/18 and are equipped with one medium laser and 2 SRM-2s in a turret (which has no 'turn' limitations; it can point any direction wanted each turn).

They're mildly dangerous to our forces (mostly because that ridiculous speed makes flanking attacks likely) and will be a bitch and a half to actually hit if they decide to go zooming all out.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/J_Edgar

(I'm assuming these aren't 'Kurita variant' J. Edgars since C3 systems don't exist yet)

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 23, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have enough surprises in store for you in this fight that you don't really need to worry too much about blundering into an Atlas. If I pull too many punches, things'll be boring.

What, statistically? Weapon-wise? I'm not sure what's cool to post about and what's to be left alone.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think it's the name. J. Edgar "Hover" is a tragic, tragic pun.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

David Corbett posted:

I think it's the name. J. Edgar "Hover" is a tragic, tragic pun.

Bahaha! That's an amazing catch.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The key thing to remember with tanks (and VTOLs) is that every successful hit one one rolls against what is basically a critical hit table, with different effects like 'your track got hosed up' or 'crew killed' and such. So they're very fragile and can theoretically can be taken out with a single shot, but J. Edgars are fast as hell so landing that shot is going to be an issue.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, I *was* going to only do tactical analyses of allied units throughout the LP, but if I'm provoked... :D

J. Edgar Light Hover Tank

Mass: 25 tons
Movement: 184 km/h max speed (11/17)
Armor: 6.5 tons
Weaponry:
2x SRM-2: Damage 2-4 (each), Max Range 9 hexes, 2 heat (each)
1x Medium Laser: You know the %#$*(& stats for these by now. 5 damage, 3 heat, 9 hexes max range.

Thoughts: Surprisingly well armored for its size, though that's made up for by vehicles' propensity to break down if you look at them funny since you get plenty of crits. Absurdly fast. ABSURDLY fast. Will outrun you if they decide to leave- you will get one good shot on them and then woosh. Weapons are only a moderate threat though, unless you stand still with your back to them because you just can't give up that shot you've got on a mech.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

What, statistically? Weapon-wise? I'm not sure what's cool to post about and what's to be left alone.

After seeing what PTN is providing to his players in his posts, my misgivings about that have fled. The tactical analyses of each unit players get into will continue in the grand (silly) tradition I've started. Other vehicles/threats analyzed at request.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The OpFor Spider should only have 2x Medium Laser if it's stock. Problem is, those are mounted in its chest so you're not likely to knock them out short of blowing the whole mech away. It's lightly armored but faster than every one of our own mechs (8/12/8) - I'd prioritize taking the Jenner out first, but try to keep it from getting behind you.

The Jenner is a bit slower at 7/11/5 but is much more heavily armed - 4x Medium Laser and an SRM-4. This thing can seriously mess up any of our mechs if given the chance. Highly recommend the Griffin and Blackjack take it down ASAP. The Vulcan and our own Jenner could probably take it at close quarters but they'd get shot up doing it.

The Dragon is fairly dangerous at long range (AC5 + LRM-10) but both of those weapons have minimum ranges, and if you can get under those then it only has a pair of Medium Lasers (one mounted to the rear if memory serves) for defense. Don't get too close though because it's relatively fast for a heavy (5/8) and if the pilot decides to close and melee it's going to be painful.

As mentioned the hover tank are fast as a greased pig so you guys need to get as close as possible before engaging and really pour the fire onto them because they're going to be slipping and sliding all over to try to toss your locks.

And then there's the unknown light. No way to tell what it is yet. :ohdear:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Ohoh, it's just a light. I'm suuuure it's absolutely noooothing to worry about. It's probably jus- OH GOD! A FIREMOTH(or other suitably dangerous light)!

Edit:Anyone know how to face yourself in Megamek? Like hotseat style?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Pladdicus posted:

Just you fuckers wait, one day you guys will be squaring off in a company level pitched battle over a fixed objective and then on Turn 6 it's all INNER SPHERE DOGS! I AM STAR CAPTAIN SERGEI KERENSKY AND THIS IS MY BATCHALL!" and PTN will :smug: while you guys piss yourselves. Remember, this is the mind that created Korvat and the Tribble Collective. EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Been doing some weapon tests, a full shot from the vulcan results almost 100% of the time in some kind of critical hit that halves their mobility, provided it connects with one of the flanks of the tank. Alternatively, it has a fair chance of immoblizing it, and if it's underweater, killing it outright.

If two of us can hit the lead tank in the same firing round, I'd say go for it, as long as its the lead one.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

Edit:Anyone know how to face yourself in Megamek? Like hotseat style?

Open one instance of Megamek as the host, then open a second instance and connect to localhost.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bad Moon posted:

Just you fuckers wait, one day you guys will be squaring off in a company level pitched battle over a fixed objective and then on Turn 6 it's all INNER SPHERE DOGS! I AM STAR CAPTAIN SERGEI KERENSKY AND THIS IS MY BATCHALL!" and PTN will :smug: while you guys piss yourselves. Remember, this is the mind that created Korvat and the Tribble Collective. EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

The chance to die unexpectedly and in an absurd, seemingly unfair reason is the real reason I volunteered. Gotta keep things interesting :black101:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
PTN, will we ever have infantry or other non-mech combat assets at our disposal?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I've been doing further tests, we need to hit both before they start moving. Those tanks moving at flank speed means the attacker with a medium laser has to hit on a 10 or an 11, thats provided they themselves aren't flanking. But, if we hit them early we can hurt their speed, which greatly increases the speed in which we can kill them.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

PTN, I think it got missed because I had to edit it in but I Don't Have PM's so my email address is something something something something

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Mr. Despair posted:

The chance to die unexpectedly and in an absurd, seemingly unfair reason is the real reason I volunteered. Gotta keep things interesting :black101:

Well, Kell Hounds did go off to fight the clans and suffer heavy losses...

I do hope we get to see some other units, Kell Hounds are overdone.

• Locked thread