Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Sugar Blaster posted:

I'm not denying that his smoking played a role in being depushed and eventually released, but his initial push seemed more like a means to an end to build credible challengers for the Smackdown scramble match than any real long-term investment in his character, while concurrently being used as a vehicle to get Zeke over ala HBK/Diesel.

Besides, Kendrick seems like he's one of those guys who values his personal freedom over being in WWE as is evidenced by his previous request to be released from the company in the mid-2000's. I'm sure he makes a decent living doing independent shows and TNA, for better or worse, seems like an environment more suited to his personality. It sucks that he's not in WWE anymore because I am totally gay for Brian Kendrick, but it's definitely not a lifestyle befitting of everyone and I don't think a wrestler deserves condemnation simply because it's not their cup of tea.

This. He gets poo poo for "picking pot over his career," but listening to him talk about it, he clearly wasn't happy there for a variety of reasons. For a certain amount of money, you can put up with a job you hate, but there's a breaking point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Orgophlax posted:

On a related note, is Triple H supposed to come back at all or is he pretty much done at this point now that he has 2 kids and set for life?

He's going to come back and bury Miz, and everyone in the Hut will cry about it while I dance naked in their tears.

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Take care fella...spike your hair! :fella:

CSammich posted:

He's going to come back and bury Miz, and everyone in the Hut will cry about it while I dance naked in their tears.

It's pretty cool that I've gotten so used to your hatred for The Miz that I actually laughed at your post.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

CSammich posted:

Not gonna lie I kinda want to see Triple H just destroy the Miz and Sheamus. I like them both a lot but it just seems... natural.

Absurdystopia
Jan 23, 2011

He's got blood on his tote!
You're making a mockery
of the Source Awards!

CSammich posted:

I second this motion, and I don't even like Trips that much. But honestly, Unstoppable Trips Beatdown No. 848674 would be far more entertaining than anything Miz has ever done.

I absolutely love my heels, but only if they're charismatic and credible. So, yeah, no Miz love here.

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Absurdystopia posted:

I second this motion, and I don't even like Trips that much. But honestly, Unstoppable Trips Beatdown No. 848674 would be far more entertaining than anything Miz has ever done.

I absolutely love my heels, but only if they're charismatic and credible. So, yeah, no Miz love here.

To say The Miz isn't charismatic is loving stupid dead wrong.

Hiram fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 23, 2011

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I still dont know how people dont see the massive growth the miz has undergone.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

In regards to Triple H's "botch" with a jobber referenced last page. It's the avatar for Over-Sold

e: so the link had video, eh.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hiram posted:

To say The Miz isn't charismatic is loving subjective.

Let's not get all nasty here. Miz is fine and dandy, but he is the kind that rubs some the wrong way. Not in the "doing his job" sort of way, but in a way that some people really don't think that he looks like a plausible main eventer. I had a slow turn towards him myself, and at this rate he is going to get stale before he gets over with anyone who he hasn't convinced yet.

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Fucken_Gieux posted:

Let's not get all nasty here. Miz is fine and dandy, but he is the kind that rubs some the wrong way. Not in the "doing his job" sort of way, but in a way that some people really don't think that he looks like a plausible main eventer. I had a slow turn towards him myself, and at this rate he is going to get stale before he gets over with anyone who he hasn't convinced yet.

I guess I can understand that some people might not see him as such. But to say he's not charismatic? Come on, man...

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hiram posted:

I guess I can understand that some people might not see him as such. But to say he's not charismatic? Come on, man...

Some people go for growly shouty, others, not so much.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Hiram posted:

I guess I can understand that some people might not see him as such. But to say he's not charismatic? Really? Really? Really? Really?

Charisma is a pretty subjective quality. I think Matt Morgan is really charismatic but I could understand other people not seeing it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

AkumaHokoru posted:

I still dont know how people dont see the massive growth the miz has undergone.

He's grown from loving horrible to not bad. I guess that does qualify as a huge improvement.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I think Miz is incredibly charismatic but that doesn't change the fact he has serious issues.

First of all is his physique. Call it a new WWE world if you want but he's very average. Look at Jeff Jarrett in his prime and then look at the Miz. Hell, the comparison is very apt.

Second, the heel character he is trying to get over is something we saw in the last two years being done by a much more talented wrestler who was much more charismatic and went farther than Miz is willing to go. That's Chris Jericho.

Third, he's merely passable in the ring. The compliments people give him, even from those who love the guy, it sounds like someone trying to fetch excuses for a big hoss. Only Miz is not a big hoss.

Miz to me scores a Mike Sanders rating. He's above average. Above average does not scream WWE Champion to me, but eh. The guy works his rear end off for the company and the fed could do worse. What I'm curious is if he could one day be a money drawing babyface. And yeah, I've seen him pander on talk shows and 5th Grader. I'm saying, could he be a guy people pay money to see and cheer?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Miz's character is really different from Jericho's character. It isn't even really close. They don't dress a like, they don't act the same way, their mannerisms and vocal inflections are different and the content of their promos is drastically different.

The main similarity is "they both think they are really great." But nearly every heel thinks that.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
HHH scoring dominant wins over Miz and Sheamus probably won't piss most people off since everyone here is used to it. What should make people explode in a frothing rage will be when he just shrugs off their attempts to be heels and laughs at the notion that they're a threat.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

The Miz's character is really different from Jericho's character. It isn't even really close. They don't dress a like, they don't act the same way, their mannerisms and vocal inflections are different and the content of their promos is drastically different.

The main similarity is "they both think they are really great." But nearly every heel thinks that.

I disagree with you on several levels so I'll just go ahead and leave the Chris Jericho quote.

quote:

For me, I was so over the whole Y2J thing. I just couldn’t even stand it. I just wanted to get completely different and change it. If you look back at that time, nobody was doing that. Nobody was coming out and being serious and not smiling. Nobody was wearing a suit. And that’s why I did it. And now every heel is coached to be that way. Be silent. Be straight. Because it worked. So now it’s the prerequisite for a WWE heel.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Jericho was the first one to really go in the WWE and do "serious heel, no catchphrases, dresses really nice, no redeeming qualities outside of wrestling talent."

Miz has catchphrases, a lackey, symbols of his reign (the briefcase), media buzz...but otherwise he's generic. He runs away, he sneak attacks people, he calls himself very gifted (a'la JBL).

Also drat you Rogue, I was citing the same interview.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

I disagree with you on several levels so I'll just go ahead and leave the Chris Jericho quote.

He's wrong.

Miz doesn't wear a simple black suit. He wears really hideous clothing that makes him look like a douchebag. Look at his vests, then look at what Jericho wore. He doesn't act silent or straight. He's the Miz and he's AWESOME. He has a catch phrase and merch and seriously how can you think the two characters are alike? The Miz goes against pretty much everything Jericho talks about in his interviews regarding his character. Especially the roots as being the one honest man.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Lone Rogue posted:

First of all is his physique. Call it a new WWE world if you want but he's very average. Look at Jeff Jarrett in his prime and then look at the Miz. Hell, the comparison is very apt.

Miz has a great physique by any normal standard but a lot of WH2K is shares Vince's obsession with roid monsters, which is really sad in the 2010s.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 23, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Ah yes, because the Miz is not a carbon copy of Chris Jericho, it must be a completely different character archetype. Miz speaks in a monotone, he dresses in a suit "in his own style", he might have a catchphrase but he now delivers it as monotone as possible much like Jericho with "I'm the best at what I do", he does act very straight so I don't get where you find he's not. Hell, Jericho did have a lackie in Lance Cade when he first began the gimmick, so Alex Riley is nothing different to what Jericho has done with his character.

It was pretty obvious from the moment he came back after the Calgary Kid episode that the Miz was trying to borrow from Chris Jericho. It's still apparent now and when I watch him, I just feel like a less wrestling talented Jeff Jarrett is trying to do his own spin on what Chris Jericho did. There's a reason why when they tag teamed Jericho and Miz together, it felt like Ultimate Warrior tag teaming with the Renegade.

But no, the roots are different. Can't be the same. Oh, and the Undertaker's "American Badass" gimmick was nothing like Austin's character. And Colin Delaney was nothing like Mikey Whipwreck! He didn't even wear a shirt!

:smugbert:

jeffersonlives posted:

Miz has a great physique by any normal standard but a lot of WH2K is shares Vince's obsession with roid monsters, which is really sad in 2010.

Well of course by a normal standard. I'd love to look like the Miz in terms of physique. The guy works his rear end off in the gym. But pro wrestling is still larger than life. And Miz honestly isn't.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 23, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think the roots of the Miz's character are in The Rock and not Chris Jericho.

Here's a Miz promo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqJIuxviG20 When I watch that I think of a guy who is a toned down version of the Rock, from the way he deals with the interviewer to the way he talks about himself. That also isn't monotone at all.

Then look at the stuff he wears. The vests, the t-shirts, or THIS SUIT. None of this screams Jericho to me. It isn't the kind of thing The Rock would wear, but it is over the top and eye catching, like The Rock would do. The Miz's physique even fits his character. The Rock was an arrogant jock. So he had a great physique. The Miz is an arrogant frat boy (look at his wardrobe and his valet!) and looks the part.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 23, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Lone Rogue posted:

Well of course by a normal standard. I'd love to look like the Miz in terms of physique. The guy works his rear end off in the gym. But pro wrestling is still larger than life. And Miz honestly isn't.

If you really still think in 2011 that having an unnatural physique is a prereq for being a star, I don't even really know what to say.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

Larger than life thankfully does not have to be a literal thing.

Hell, how big was Andy Kaufman?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Captain Charisma posted:

HHH scoring dominant wins over Miz and Sheamus probably won't piss most people off since everyone here is used to it. What should make people explode in a frothing rage will be when he just shrugs off their attempts to be heels and laughs at the notion that they're a threat.

And when he goes ahead and destroys Morrison and Bryan for no reason other than "I'm cool I can do what I want."

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

battlemonk posted:

The guy was a jobber. He thought the Pedigree was going to be a double-underhook pile driver or suplex. He jumped into it, trying to flip. Triple H didn't know that, and dropped him on his head. Evidently he wasn't even injured.

http://www.wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/tripleh_garner.html

He's also a member of the OMEGA crew :laugh:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Maxwell Lord posted:

Larger than life thankfully does not have to be a literal thing.

Hell, how big was Andy Kaufman?

Yes, the great Andy Kaufman. He was one of the best WWE World Champions in recent memory.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Yes, the great Andy Kaufman. He was one of the best WWE World Champions in recent memory.

Shawn Michaels is the WWE proclaimed Greatest Ever and compared to him Miz looks like Lou Ferrigno.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jeffersonlives posted:

Shawn Michaels is the WWE proclaimed Greatest Ever and compared to him Miz looks like Lou Ferrigno.

Shawn Michaels in his prime *looked* amazingly athletic, much like what John Morrison looks like now. He was small but looked built to last. Miz might dwarf Bruce Lee but Bruce Lee still looked dangerous due to how shredded he was.

Shawn is a really, really terrible example.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

Jericho did/does not have a freakish physique. Nor Punk. Or Bryan. Or Barrett. Or Edge. I mean yes they are big guys or even really big compared to average but they are not roided out freaks. That's several guys that have gotten and/or are currently getting really sizeable pushes aside from Miz right off the top of my head. Barrett is the biggest of that lot but he's more "guy I would not gently caress with and hit the lottery as far as height" and not "holy poo poo how is he even human".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

He may as well have been a title holder for how prominent he was.

Now, unlike Kaufman, The Miz is supposed to be an actual wrestler (albeit one who uses every trick in the book to get an advantage), but every match I've seen him in, he has the skills to pull it off. That he is not literally huge is made up for by force of personality.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
What kind of compensation did WWE offer to the supermarket that was destroyed by Stone Cold and Booker T?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The A-Team Van posted:

What kind of compensation did WWE offer to the supermarket that was destroyed by Stone Cold and Booker T?

Vince waved his hand and said: "You are now the supermarket that has been destroyed by Stone Cold and Booker T." And then he rode off into the sunset, on the shoulders of his chauffeur.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

The A-Team Van posted:

A burlap sack with a dollar sign on it full of $100 bills.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The A-Team Van posted:

I think that actually ended up being covered by their insurance.

They had a really great plan.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
From what I've heard the pedigree has evolved slightly over time, but the above explanation sounds likely too, so I imagine it's a combination of the two.

Maxwell Lord posted:

But can't people just get the simple thrill of competition from MMA? Aren't the melodramatics the one thing pro wrestling has that the UFC can't do?
This is kind of how I feel, I think wrestling should play up the elements which make it unique to other forms of sports or entertainment rather than trying to replicate successful elements elsewhere, in the age of known kayfabe trying to replicate the feel of MMA just doesn't seem sensible to me. Then again, I'm not a businessman who has to fudge the numbers to keep WWE afloat.

Sugar Blaster posted:

Besides, Kendrick seems like he's one of those guys who values his personal freedom over being in WWE as is evidenced by his previous request to be released from the company in the mid-2000's.
This. I wasn't even watching WWE when Kendrick was around but from the sounds of the situation people just don't seem to get that for some people their belief in certain principals can not be negotiated by adding on some zero's to their pay cheque, obviously he didn't want to work under these conditions and refused to, this doesn't make him stupid it just shows where his values and priorities lie.

Lamuella posted:

What people like Russo often do wrong is think that playing games with the audience is more important than giving the audience a story. A vince Russo cookbook would start off with a recipe for baked alaska, then get you to throw away the beaten eggwhites and start grilling a steak halfway through because nobody would expect that.
I liked Russo's approach in theory and principals, but it was absurd the way he thought he could just throw out the play book and change the entire content of wrestling as quickly as he wanted to. Obviously if you want to try something like this slowly integrating it into the current product and seeing what the results were would have been a much more sensible and responsible way to try out working towards his objectives.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 23, 2011

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Sue Denim posted:

From what I've heard the pedigree has evolved slightly over time, but the above explanation sounds likely too, so I imagine it's a combination of the two.

This is kind of how I feel, I think wrestling should play up the elements which make it unique to other forms of sports or entertainment rather than trying to replicate successful elements elsewhere, in the age of known kayfabe trying to replicate the feel of MMA just doesn't seem sensible to me. Then again, I'm not a businessman who has to fudge the numbers to keep WWE afloat.

This. I wasn't even watching WWE when Kendrick was around but from the sounds of the situation people just don't seem to get that for some people their belief in certain principals can not be negotiated by adding on some zero's to their pay cheque, obviously he didn't want to work under these conditions and refused to, this doesn't make him stupid it just shows where his values and priorities lie.

I liked Russo's approach in theory and principals, but it was absurd the way he thought he could just throw out the play book and change the entire content of wrestling as quickly as he wanted to. Obviously if you want to try something like this slowly integrating it into the current product and seeing what the results were would have been a much more sensible and responsible way to try out working towards his objectives.

Principle. A principal is a person, or something that would be considered most important or first.

Anyway, the Pedigree evolved, yeah, but it was never intended as the botch that it was. It was always a face-buster style move, not a driver.

And Russo did get to slowly integrate things into the product. And it worked. It was called the Attitude era. But the reason he slowly integrated them and transformed the product, rather than completely wipe everything away from day one, is because Vince McMahon was able to filter him and hold him back. When he doesn't have that kind of restraint (WCW, TNA) you get poo poo like viagra on a pole matches and lockboxes.

And people possibly bad mouth Kendrick's beliefs because they also include "Bush did 9/11" and "Moon landing was faked."

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I was referring to his WCW run, I don't really consider his attitude era contributions to necessarily be as reflective of his aims as a whole because as you said he had McMahon acting as a filter, from a comparative stand point it was very, very different in terms of over all content tone because while McMahon used Russo's ideas they were used as a way to bridge his own ideas towards the direction McMahon saw the wrestling business heading. Russo's WCW runs and more specifically his second run I believe portrays a far more accurate image of the direction Russo himself thought the wrestling business should be heading in to keep up with how fast pop-culture was moving.

While I don't agree with those stand points I remember seeing criticisms directed at Kendrick directly relating to his departure from the WWE, which I certainly think is unfair.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

jeffersonlives posted:

If you really still think in 2011 that having an unnatural physique is a prereq for being a star, I don't even really know what to say.

It should be (in my world)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sue Denim posted:

The problem with this argument is that UFC succeeds because its essentially uses classic wrestling booking. WWE wouldn't be "replicating UFC's success" because UFC has been replicating wrestling's success.

And WWE doesn't really have an excuse considering it's fake.