Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Ziir posted:

According to my calendar today is Heilige Drei Könige. gently caress, is this another random holiday where every single store is closed?

If some children in costum knock on your door and start singing today or sunday, it's not halloween already, they are collecting for the church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Only in Baden-Württemberg, Sachsen-Anhalt and Bavaria. Anywhere else should be business as usual.

I got back to Magdeburg late yesterday evening and decided to wait until this morning to get groceries because I forgot about this. :argh:

Allia
Oct 6, 2010
Hah! The one good thing about living in Baden for years was the abundance of church holidays. We get like...two (besides the obvious) in Berlin.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
For anyone who wants to know how visiting Berlin is like:
NEVER DRIVE A CAR WHEN YOU´RE DEAD
http://vimeo.com/17675607

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 8, 2011

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Yah, that's been mostly my experience as well!

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

i miss girls who open beers with their teeth

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

unixbeard posted:

i miss girls who open beers with their teeth

One of my friends (male) does this and I cringe and look away every time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The only proper way is to do it with someone else's teeth.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

My Lovely Horse posted:

The only proper way is to do it with someone else's teeth.

Since I've been in Germany I've learned to open beer bottles with everything ranging from a lighter to a broom handle to a piece of the wall that's sticking out of the building and even an A4 paper. Why people use teeth I will never understand

Allia
Oct 6, 2010
How the hell do you open up a beer bottle with a piece of paper?

Everyone I know uses their hands. Or another beer bottle if one's around.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Fold it up real tight and use it like a lighter.

Really, once you get the general idea it's not hard to open a beer bottle that's not a screw-top. Friend of mine used to watch so many US television he got used to thinking he could open up beer bottles that way it that he once hosed up his hand trying to twist open a German bottle.

My favorite way to open a bottle of beer still is using the edge of a bottle opener or a closed multitool. Nobody ever gets the irony though. :(

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zwille posted:

Fold it up real tight and use it like a lighter.

Really, once you get the general idea it's not hard to open a beer bottle that's not a screw-top. Friend of mine used to watch so many US television he got used to thinking he could open up beer bottles that way it that he once hosed up his hand trying to twist open a German bottle.

My favorite way to open a bottle of beer still is using the edge of a bottle opener or a closed multitool. Nobody ever gets the irony though. :(

because it's not ironic

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

OneArmedScissor posted:

because it's not ironic

Irony - the difference between what is expected and what actually occurs. You expect the bottle to be opened with the bottle opener. Instead, the bottle is opened with the edge of the bottle opener.

Hence, it is ironic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zwille posted:

Aren't there screw-top bottles anymore? We used to get them all the time but that was a few years ago. Incidentally that same thing happened to a friend of mine as well after he neglected to check if his bottle actually was one.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Liface posted:

Irony - the difference between what is expected and what actually occurs. You expect the bottle to be opened with the bottle opener. Instead, the bottle is opened with the edge of the bottle opener.

Hence, it is ironic.

Using a bottle opener to open a bottle isn't ironic.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

^^^ "Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)" - I think the last bit works... I'm feigning ignorance about the actual purpose of the bottle opener. See?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Aren't there screw-top bottles anymore? We used to get them all the time but that was a few years ago. Incidentally that same thing happened to a friend of mine as well after he neglected to check if his bottle actually was one.

Yeah, we occasionally do get those but they never really catch on. I think that's because of the stigma of plastic screw-top bottles which usually only get sold at low-end discount supermarkets and which aren't even drunk "ironically" by hipsters.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
It's like killing someone by hitting him with a gun instead of shooting.

ZwobotJones
Apr 30, 2009

Click click

Zwille posted:

^^^ "Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)" - I think the last bit works... I'm feigning ignorance about the actual purpose of the bottle opener. See?

Yeah, we occasionally do get those but they never really catch on. I think that's because of the stigma of plastic screw-top bottles which usually only get sold at low-end discount supermarkets and which aren't even drunk "ironically" by hipsters.

Well, it's not really ironic since the bottle opener's purpose is to open bottles, as has been stated already. How you open bottles with it is unimportant.

And I'd feel ashamed to drink plastic beer :colbert:

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I've never seen any screw top bottles here and believe me I've tried nearly every single brand of bottled beer found at the supermarkets now.

The Netto by my flat where I buy groceries just started stocking these plastic bottle Weizen beer that's really cheap (something like 2.50€ for a six pack) but I can't bring myself to trying it either.

Re: A4 paper. Fold the paper in half length wise so it's still long ("hot dog style" in the US), then again, and again, and again, again until you can't anymore. Then fold it the other way, again, and again, and again. Use it like a lighter.

Edit: What's the German equivalent of Zappos.com for cheap shoes? Amazon.de is a mess for shoes and barely has anything (looking for Converse Chuck Taylors specifically, cheapest I can find online is about 60€ which is the same as buying local but it's still way more for them than I'm used to).

Ziir fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 11, 2011

ToDave
Jul 18, 2010
An unrelated question...

I'm about go to move to Berlin for six months and am wondering about cell phones. I'm going to be in London for a week beforehand so I'm wondering, if I buy a pay as you go phone in the UK will it work the same in Germany or am I better off just waiting until I arrive in Germany to buy a phone?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ToDave posted:

An unrelated question...

I'm about go to move to Berlin for six months and am wondering about cell phones. I'm going to be in London for a week beforehand so I'm wondering, if I buy a pay as you go phone in the UK will it work the same in Germany or am I better off just waiting until I arrive in Germany to buy a phone?

The phone will work basically everywhere in Europe with every carrier but you better get another sim card in Germany since the roaming fees are outrageously high.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Ziir posted:

I've never seen any screw top bottles here and believe me I've tried nearly every single brand of bottled beer found at the supermarkets now.

The Netto by my flat where I buy groceries just started stocking these plastic bottle Weizen beer that's really cheap (something like 2.50€ for a six pack) but I can't bring myself to trying it either.

Re: A4 paper. Fold the paper in half length wise so it's still long ("hot dog style" in the US), then again, and again, and again, again until you can't anymore. Then fold it the other way, again, and again, and again. Use it like a lighter.

Edit: What's the German equivalent of Zappos.com for cheap shoes? Amazon.de is a mess for shoes and barely has anything (looking for Converse Chuck Taylors specifically, cheapest I can find online is about 60€ which is the same as buying local but it's still way more for them than I'm used to).

Cheap shoes...ugh...I only know http://www.zalando.de from the annoying TV commercials. There are a few shops like http://www.frontlineshop.com that have good offers from time to time. Check http://www.factory-outlets.org to see if there is an outlet store near you, they can be really cheap sometimes.

Regarding cheap beer: if I really need to buy cheap beer I just buy 5,0 (the black/orange/red/green 0.5 liter cans). It's decent and extremely cheap.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Popelmon posted:

Cheap shoes...ugh...I only know http://www.zalando.de from the annoying TV commercials. There are a few shops like http://www.frontlineshop.com that have good offers from time to time. Check http://www.factory-outlets.org to see if there is an outlet store near you, they can be really cheap sometimes.

Regarding cheap beer: if I really need to buy cheap beer I just buy 5,0 (the black/orange/red/green 0.5 liter cans). It's decent and extremely cheap.

drat, I guess I'll just go to Footlocker or something today because there's no point in ordering online.

I'm really starting to miss my free 2 day shipping from Amazon and big online discounts :(.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ziir.... I'm assuming you're American, and if you are, I feel your pain.
No cheap places to buy decent shoes in Germany :(

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
There a tons of place to buy rubbish shoes for cheap though.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hungry Gerbil posted:

There a tons of place to buy rubbish shoes for cheap though.

"cheap" in Germany is like 40 euros.
Moreover, us Americans (God's people) don't want to overpay for crap shoes. :smugdog:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

You mean American shoes? :rimshot:

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

OneArmedScissor posted:

"cheap" in Germany is like 40 euros.
Moreover, us Americans (God's people) don't want to overpay for crap shoes. :smugdog:

Actually there are a ton of small stores where a pair of mediocre shoes costs you about 10-20€, sure those are no name but still do the job.

Also there is Deichmann where the average should be somewhere around 25€.

Allia
Oct 6, 2010
Deichman is like Payless, including its sales (the average may be 25Euros, but some shoes will be cheaper). The quality is about the same, though they do have some better quality shoes.

There's always eBay. Stay away from the really costly brands because of the chance they might be counterfeit, but Ecco and Gabor you can get in great condition pretty cheaply (versus what you pay in stores). This only works if you're sure of your size, though.

And there are tons of stores that have cheap shoes if you just go walking around. Especially in Berlin. I live near a huge Indonesian market thing and they sell lots of shoes there for like 5-10 Euros. Friends have said that they're decent quality, but the sizes are really small, so that might be a no-go.

If you can wait until Feb, that's generally will the department stores have their sales. Things aren't going to be outrageously cheap, but there will be usually a 30% discount.

Have you tried TK Maxx, by the way?

Hell, I just buy my shoes in the states. I find it ridiculous in a way, because everyone in the states talks about how awesome European shoes and clothing are, and here I am bringing clothes/shoes with me every trip back. But unless you're willing to pay a lot of money, you really can't find quality stuff. Don't get me started on H&M.

Then again, I buy expensive (quality) stuff in the states, there are just (more) sales and discount stores, so the price is often 90% (or at least 75%) what it was orginally. I think it all goes back to the days of the Sommer-/Winterschlussverkauf and how people are still adjusting here.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is it really that strange to you guys that I cook (warm) breakfast almost every day?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Yes. Yes, it is.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Ziir posted:

Is it really that strange to you guys that I cook (warm) breakfast almost every day?

Whatever floats your boat, man. I know noone who does that. I mostly eat some kind of cereal or a slice of bread with Nutella and a yoghurt or stuff like that for breakfast. On the other hand a lot of people have nothing but coffee and cigarettes for breakfast...

Mmmmhh Nutella :fap:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Warm breakfast is not common, the warmest you'll usually get are buns fresh from the oven or the bakery, with butter and marmalade / some nutella product ( NUSPLI! ). Kids (but not limited to them) usually eat 'Müsli' or some Kellogg's product. And then we have the 'nothing but coffee and cigarettes for breakfast so I can get stomach ulcers at 35' group.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Don't forget those of us who dislike coffee and don't smoke, which results in no breakfast at all.

Your avatar makes me 37 kinds of nostalgic.
vvvvvvv

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 23, 2011

ZwobotJones
Apr 30, 2009

Click click
Coffee and cigarettes for breakfast is all anyone needs. Especially when you've got a hangover.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

:allears: Ah, das Nuttenfrühstück.

Yeah, warm breakfast is extremely unusual. Whenever anyone does that it's either "englisches Frühstück" or brunching.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
I do heat my Müsli in the microwave but I'm probably the only one at that.

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
^^^^ While you´re not the only one, you should be ashamed of yourself nonetheless.

ZwobotJones posted:

Coffee and cigarettes for breakfast is all anyone needs. Especially when you've got a hangover.

Hangover breakfast eh?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
You'll never take away my fat greasy bacon for breakfast away :(

Plus I'm quite partial to this (linked since waffleimages is down) for Katerfrühstück. Speaking of bacon, it would be totally awesome if they offered bacon at those shops. Mmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZwobotJones
Apr 30, 2009

Click click
Yeah, thanks for that rollmops picture, that didn't do any good for my stomach.

I can live with döner though.