Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Seriously just how many bounties are there in the Star Wars Galaxy where bounty hunting can be such a main stream, profitable job? I can make myself understand smuggling being so widespread, but bounty hunting is just so weird.

Well, I mean you are looking at the shadiest, most disreputable people often in the worst parts of space so it makes sense to meet a lot of them during the course of the films. Not to mention bounty-hunters show up so much because they're explicitly hired to track down our protagonists.

As for the prevalence of bounty-hunting across the galaxy, I assume the Empire has a liberal, old American West style view of illegal activities. If Stormtroopers solve it, great. If some nerf-herder does it without wasting any of Imperial man power, thats good too. Planetary respect is earned not with boots on the ground but with cruisers in orbit.

Further, it could be wagered the Empire doesn't really concern itself too much with day-to-day affairs of planets if Alderaan still has queens, they lack man-power on Tatooine, and they hire external mercenaries to supplement their own troops. In that scope vast swathes of illegal activity make sense in that planets may have uniquely illegal goods. To get to that planet you'd have to skip Imperial tax officers, after all you're moving a thing your not supposed to so your not making any money, which then drags Empire into it. Therefore there would be absolutely constant booming business of moving goods from non-prohibited worlds to prohibited ones.

Edit: :goonsay:

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I was just watching the OT today and thinking on how, with the prevalence of bounty hunters and smugglers, a freaking huge percentage of the galaxy's economy must be tied up in illegal activity. I guess you could argue in the time of the OT it's due to so many people being opposed to the Empire they turn to underground economic actors, but that doesn't explain every other era.

Seriously just how many bounties are there in the Star Wars Galaxy where bounty hunting can be such a main stream, profitable job? I can make myself understand smuggling being so widespread, but bounty hunting is just so weird.
It's meant to be a huge galaxy, and the places the film is set are fairly shady.

Mos Eisley is a wretched hive of scum and villainy on a planet ruled by gangsters for decades/centuries. It's space Mogadishu. And from a population of many billions of people, we see something like six bounty hunters. There are probably more bounty hunters than that in Sergio Leone's Dollars trilogy.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

T-1000 posted:

And from a population of many billions of people, we see something like six bounty hunters. There are probably more bounty hunters than that in Sergio Leone's Dollars trilogy.

If we go by what we've learned in the EU Book Barn thread, those six are the only professional Bounty Hunters in the entire Galaxy.

I mention this only because having read the Bounty Hunter trilogy, I want to spread its existence to others like some sort of vengeful Leper.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
You know what I forgot about because it announced two years ago, but Wookiepedia was kind enough to remind me of?

Timothy Zahn is blessing us with another Thrawn novel this July. It's the sequel to Allegiance and takes place between said story and Empire.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Locutus Of Bored posted:

You know what I forgot about because it announced two years ago, but Wookiepedia was kind enough to remind me of?

Timothy Zahn is blessing us with another Thrawn novel this July. It's the sequel to Allegiance and takes place between said story and Empire.

why is it that all the new book covers are so lovely? i mean, despite Zahn's name, who wants to read that?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
^^ :siren:!LIGHTSABERS!:siren: ^^

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kyle Katarn kills ~20 bounty hunters on the way to lunch everyday, this tends to keep the population low.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Help me Star Wars goons, you're my only hope.

I'm trying to remember the name of a star wars kid's book from the early 80's. It was one of those books that was accompanied by a cassette that you listened to while you read along, the kind that had beeps to turn the pages.

Anyway, the plot of the book is that Luke Skywalker has to take an Imperial battle droid to this "droid planet," this Borg looking ship with thrusters that is populated soley by droids and run by a half human half droid guy, so that the ruler may fix the Imperial droid and get valuable information from its circuits.

The ruler of the ship demands that he keep any droid he fixes, and the Imperial droid, and Luke's two droids are left on the ship. There is a revolt by the ruler's head droid, and the ruler is apparently killed, but it turns out to have been an imposter.

There is then a large battle between the revolting droids and the ruler's droids, with the ruler winning but being saddened by the loss of droid life.

Any ideas on the name of this?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Forgive the smart arsed reply here, but it might have something to do with the Droids cartoon?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Well as ESB showed us, the Empire subcontracts to bounty hunters, so they may act as some sort of vaguly official section of an intergalactic police force.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Forgive the smart arsed reply here, but it might have something to do with the Droids cartoon?

No, it wasn't a tie in to Droids as Artoo and Threepio belonged to Luke in the book, and that's after Droids, I believe.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Locutus Of Bored posted:

If that's the sequel to Allegiance wouldn't it be a Mara Jade novel?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As much as I like Zahn and all his other Star Wars work...I thought that Allegiance was just average at best and most of the book, while not terrible, was just really, really dull.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I personally enjoyed it, it was novel and had some kick rear end moments. I think Zahn took one glance at Traviss and thought 'gently caress her, I can do this poo poo a million times better and make it unobnoxious'.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Found it, it's Droid World

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Droid_World:_The_Further_Adventures

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

God that art is hilarious, Threepeo seems pretty anxious about the whole fireballs out of nowhere and droids and tanks behinds him about gently caress them both up.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Locutus Of Bored posted:

Man, a photorealistic chibi Mara Jade? What will they think of next? Oh wait, having just seen the latest Clone Wars and associated previews I know the answer to be bringing back Qui-Gon and Darth Maul in some form or other...

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 23, 2011

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Locutus Of Bored posted:

I never thought I'd miss the days of Star Wars covers basically being traced from movie stills. I miss the good old days of hand-painted book covers and movie posters.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They really just need to get the people who do the Japanese book covers. They're almost always amazing looking.

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot
What is with the general emphasis on single characters on the covers of epic fantasy novels? You never see wide angle vistas or scenes filled with long shots of many characters like you'd expect; it's always a poorly composited photomanipulation of a single character with some vague action or abstraction that implies action. Yet the novels themselves rarely focus on the smaller story of that single character, if ever. It's like this weird, consistent disconnect.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They really just need to get the people who do the Japanese book covers. They're almost always amazing looking.

Seriously yeah. Check out the Allegiance Japanese cover on this lovely geocities site:
http://space.geocities.jp/akihikomonnai/covers.html

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

LLJKSiLk posted:

Seriously yeah. Check out the Allegiance Japanese cover on this lovely geocities site:

Holy poo poo, I would read the gently caress out of that book based on the cover alone.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Locutus Of Bored posted:

The stormtroopers are poking their heads out at funny angles like they're toddlers at the first day of preschool hiding behind their mother. And their mother has a giant, giant head.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

NeonTurtle posted:

Holy poo poo, I would read the gently caress out of that book based on the cover alone.

Isn't there some famous saying about judging books?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

So has the EU had Anakin race any pods after Episode I?

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot

NGL posted:

Isn't there some famous saying about judging books?

There is! I believe it's: "Always judge a book by its cover"

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Z. Beeblebrox IV posted:

There is! I believe it's: "Always judge a book by its cover"

That's the one!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Oddly enough, no.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

He did some sort of garbage-chute-paragliding race thing in one of the novels set in between the prequels. I forget what the title was though.

It was pretty dumb.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kart Barfunkel posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Quest:_The_Dangerous_Games

The cover is pretty fitting. The Japanese one is the only one that looks decent yet again.

They just need to get Tsuyoshi Nagano, the guy who does all the Star Wars novel covers in Japan, when they release the book in America. If I didn't know any better, I would probably read some of the new books because his artwork is amazing for what it is.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Images_by_Tsuyoshi_Nagano

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

~Coxy posted:

The stormtroopers are poking their heads out at funny angles like they're toddlers at the first day of preschool hiding behind their mother. And their mother has a giant, giant head.

The one on the right looks like a severed head hanging there. I didn't know anything about the book so I assumed it was a horror sequel to Death Troopers or something.

e: I hate to be all GRORIOUS NIPPON but oh my loving god.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 24, 2011

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Kart Barfunkel posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Racer_Revenge

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Wookiepedia posted:

Even though Obi-Wan forbids it, Anakin cannot resist the thrill of the race—and the chance to face off against his childhood rival, the loathsome Sebulba.

Somehow they managed to surprise me. I thought I was prepared

e. from the link posted above http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Quest:_The_Dangerous_Games

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

NGL posted:

Oddly enough, no.

Even the EU writers know better. That says a lot.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I guess there's a new dark horse series starting soon? The only hints they've given are 1) Character from the movies and 2) Not yoda.

So anyone else thinking Wicket?

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot
That's practically useless info. It could almost literally be anyone then, aside from Yoda. Mara Jade is technically a character from the movies.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think I flipped through Anakin's Jedi Journal (http://www.amazon.com/Anakin-Skywalker-Journal-Random-House/dp/0375815945) in a dollar store a few years ago and I seem to remember a bit in it where it talks about sneaking out of the temple to take part in underground races. They were something other than pod racers, though.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Z. Beeblebrox IV posted:

That's practically useless info. It could almost literally be anyone then, aside from Yoda. Mara Jade is technically a character from the movies.

Wait, what? Did this get added in one of the Special Editions or something?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Suenteus Po posted:

Wait, what? Did this get added in one of the Special Editions or something?

They've retconned her into being a dancer in the RotJ radio drama. She already had a comic though, it wasn't bad.

So, does anyone know what the gently caress is up with all this Clone Wars, Dathomirian Zabrak Nightbrothers stuff? I remembered reading a while ago that Clone Wars was going to have a Dathomir episode(s) and recently that Darth Maul's brother would be showing up. From what little info I've found they seemed to have combined those, which just sounds like all kinds of retarded.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

LLJKSiLk posted:

Palpatines totally checking out Mara Jade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

From what little info I've found they seemed to have combined those, which just sounds like all kinds of retarded.

It wasn't. Using the Night Sisters worked out pretty cool and it they used Maul's brother as the B plot for the arc in a way that didn't suck.