Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insomniac doze
Nov 17, 2009

i am cheerful by nature
This summer I will be going to Crete, Greece, and I was wondering what would be the easiest way to get to Spain(train, bus, ferry, etc) with the exception of air travel(I hate plane, also poor). I'm not sure if it would be easier to take a ferry from Crete to mainland Greece or to just take it to Italy. Also I would like to know about the visa situation(I'm American.) when traveling through different countries in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

insomniac doze posted:

This summer I will be going to Crete, Greece, and I was wondering what would be the easiest way to get to Spain(train, bus, ferry, etc) with the exception of air travel(I hate plane, also poor). I'm not sure if it would be easier to take a ferry from Crete to mainland Greece or to just take it to Italy. Also I would like to know about the visa situation(I'm American.) when traveling through different countries in Europe.
I'm not sure you realize how long a trip from Crete to Spain (where exactly?) would take by train, bus, ferry. I would strongly advise against that unless you fancy spending 48-96 hours on the road (e.g. the ferry from Patra, mainland Greece, to Ancona, Italy, takes about 20 hrs; a bus from let's say Athens to let's say Venice will be something like 30 hrs). Taking the plane I can find connections from Heraklion to e.g. Barcelona for just under 200 EUR (travel time just over 5 hrs). This will most certainly be cheaper than any possible train/ferry/bus combination.

For visa information I am sure that your foreign ministry will have all the necessary information on their website. As far as I know as a US citizan you can travel within the EU without a visa for up to 90 days.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

schoenfelder posted:

You don't need a visa for any country in Europe except some of the ex-Warsaw Pact states that hate America and long for the Soviet Union (e.g. Russia, Belarus and uh... I think that's it).

Also, as Schoenfelder said, any option besides a plane will be awful, insanely slow, and literally four to five times more expensive unless you speak every language from Crete to Barcelona and can fast-talk your way onboard merchant ships (in which case it will be beyond insanely slow, potentially awful, and probably a similar price to flying).

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

schoenfelder posted:

Itīs completely off topic, but is your name taken from the "author" of a big red book?

insomniac doze
Nov 17, 2009

i am cheerful by nature

Saladman posted:

You don't need a visa for any country in Europe except some of the ex-Warsaw Pact states that hate America and long for the Soviet Union (e.g. Russia, Belarus and uh... I think that's it).

Also, as Schoenfelder said, any option besides a plane will be awful, insanely slow, and literally four to five times more expensive unless you speak every language from Crete to Barcelona and can fast-talk your way onboard merchant ships (in which case it will be beyond insanely slow, potentially awful, and probably a similar price to flying).

Thank you for the information. I knew that taking ferries, trains etc. would be more inconvenient but I didn't realize to what degree, so I think afterall I'll just have to take a flight there. Can you tell me any information about the security at customs? I've only flown to Asia so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

insomniac doze posted:

Thank you for the information. I knew that taking ferries, trains etc. would be more inconvenient but I didn't realize to what degree, so I think afterall I'll just have to take a flight there. Can you tell me any information about the security at customs? I've only flown to Asia so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Flying within the Schengen zone (essentially: the EU, minus the UK & Ireland, plus Iceland, Norway and Switzerland) is exactly like flying domestic in the USA used to be. So, unless Crete is special for some reason, all they'll do is make sure your ticket name matches your passport-or-Greek-residence-card name and run your bag through the x-ray machine. You won't have to do customs or anything (but you also won't be able to duty-free shop...)

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

hankor posted:

Itīs completely off topic, but is your name taken from the "author" of a big red book?
Yes.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
^^^^ Hello law buddy :hfive:

insomniac doze posted:

What insomniac said.

If you want to buy some souvenirs on crete itīs a good idea to make sure youīre buying a replica and not a real antique, there are some hefty fines associated with smuggling even the tiniest broken pieces. Funnily enough some vendors actually give you a certificates of inauthenticity for that reason.

One thing to consider when first entering europe is that if you bring any newish (<6 month) fancy high tech gear (laptop, camera and especially Ipad or smart phone) with you itīd be a good idea to have some receipts with you and make sure you know how to use them, customs loves to bother you with that stuff since itīs much cheaper in the US.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

hankor posted:

One thing to consider when first entering europe is that if you bring any newish (<6 month) fancy high tech gear (laptop, camera and especially Ipad or smart phone) with you itīd be a good idea to have some receipts with you and make sure you know how to use them, customs loves to bother you with that stuff since itīs much cheaper in the US.

What the hell does this mean? Why should I bring receipts with me to europe?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

I've never heard of this happening ever. I wouldn't bring receipts unless you're bringing like 6 Macbook Airs and a suitcase full of iPads.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, honestly, customs entering Europe is some guys looking bored that you walk past in the Nothing to Declare lane.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
^^^ I donīt argue with that but there are some that are actually doing their jobs.

Magic Underwear posted:

To prove to customs that you bought whatever you bring in, in the states and take it back with you. Itīs not a necessity but a friend that came over from the US for the holidays (which was probably why they actually bothered) had a pretty annoying time when leaving europe. Unless you bring too many you should be ok though, he had 2 smart phones (one buisness one for fun) with him and lost one.

hankor fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 17, 2011

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

hankor posted:

^^^ I donīt argue with that but there are some that are actually doing their jobs.

To prove to customs that you bought whatever you bring in, in the states and take it back with you. Itīs not a necessity but a friend that came over from the US for the holidays (which was probably why they actually bothered) had a pretty annoying time when leaving europe. Unless you bring too many you should be ok though, he had 2 smart phones (one buisness one for fun) with him and lost one.

I'm sorry, you aren't explaining this enough. Pretend you are the customs official, and complete this sentence:

Customs official: I'm sorry, I'm confiscating this smart phone, because _____________________________.

I honestly don't understand what you're getting at.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

hankor posted:

Are you saying that customs suspected him of buying products in Europe and attempting to smuggle them... out? What the gently caress are you jabbering on about?

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
^^^^ They suspected that he brought two phones to leave one in europe, so itīs the other way around.

It seems like I need to explain this clearer. Again Iīm not saying itīs likely that anyone will encounter problems but itīs not unheard of. So enjoy your wall of text.

When you enter europe (and pretty much every other country or multinational equivalent) via plane or ship and have goods with you that cumulatively are worth more than 430€ (including taxes) and that are supposed to stay in europe youīll have to pay import tax for that.

For the most part this is pretty irrelevant, if you are however a computer or photo nerd, that likes to travel with several cameras or Notebooks itīs possible that customs will want to have a word with you about why you feel the need to enter the country with 3 brand new high end cameras.

Most of the time theyīll let you go when you offer them a good explanation for that, but they have the option to take a collateral from you to make sure those things donīt stay here. Even if they let you go, you can still be asked to show that you still have the stuff with you when you go back home. While this mostly only applies to people traveling with absurd amount of shiny things once in a full moon theyīll pull out random people and have a look.

The receipts are handy for two purposes, first off theyīre a good thing to have when the US Customs decides to ask you about your shiny things when you get back, secondly it speeds up the process, you donīt really want a bureaucrat in his fifties to try to google what a your specific camera model is worth and if itīs sold in the US at all or where else you couldīve gotten it. Even if you bring computers worth a small village with you if you have a receipt that shows that those things are not new itīs easier to avoid the suspicion that those things are supposed to stay in europe.

Customs official when entering the US posted:

Customs official: I'm sorry, I'm confiscating this smart phone, I believe youīve bought this in europe and therefore have to pay import taxes.

Customs official when entering Europe posted:

Customs official: Iīm sorry you can not enter Europe before youīve paid the collateral for the that nice 4000€ camera you have there, donīt tell me it looks like new because you are a photo buff and take care of your things, that thing is two weeks old and you want to finance a nice romantic dinner with it, your real camera is the lovely one your girlfriend is holding. Oh by the way, welcome I hope you have a great start to your vacation with part of your funds gone.

Customs official when leaving Europe posted:

Customs official: Iīm sorry you can not leave Europe before youīve paid at least a considerable amount of tax you owe for importing this smart phone. What did you say? Well if you lost it then you shouldīve filed a police report even though that doesnīt make sense. Youīll also have to pay for the camera as this is clearly not the one youīve brought with you, the scribbly handwritting of my colleague clearly has an O in the serial number whereas your camera has a 0. I wish we would use computers then Iīd think it was a typo if I had a receipt that goes with the camera,

Iīm sorry for bringing that topic up, but I think itīs a good idea to be aware of the general customs regulations Iīll be encountering during travel however unlikely it is that Iīll have any problems.

vvv I shouldnīt have put the anecdote in the same paragraph with the stuff about receipts. He brought two smart phones and they randomly pulled him from the line at the airport when he arrived, they took his name and the details of the phones. While drunk he lost one and when he was leaving they were rather interested where the second phone had gone.

I have an even better anecdote, my brother came home from the US and brought 3 Iphones with him (one for me, one for himself and one to sell), when he tried to declare them there was not a single customs official to be found.

hankor fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 18, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Well since you're giving us an anecdote from your friend I'll give you one from me in return.

I flew into Europe with a brand new MacBook Pro ($1200), brand new iPhone 4 ($600), Apple Time Capsule ($300), External Hard Drive ($150), and a DSLR ($1000) with three lenses ($600 total), one still brand new in the box, or, 2900€ worth of goods at internet prices, all in my carry on.

The guy didn't even ask me what my purpose of stay in Europe was or where I was going.

Edit:

quote:

a friend that came over from the US for the holidays had a pretty annoying time when leaving europe.

quote:

^^^^ They suspected that he brought two phones to leave one in europe, so itīs the other way around.

So he had one confiscated when he entered or left Europe? Did he have a hard time entering or leaving?

Edit 2:

Not trying to poo poo up the thread or anything cause I understand what you're saying but 1) we're comparing anecdotes and 2) who the hell even keeps a receipt these days? Most of my big purchases are done online, and the ones that aren't are either second hand (SA Mart) or at places like Best Buy they keep a record of all purchases in their computer tied to my name so there's no point.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 18, 2011

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ziir posted:

Not trying to poo poo up the thread or anything cause I understand what you're saying but 1) we're comparing anecdotes and 2) who the hell even keeps a receipt these days? Most of my big purchases are done online, and the ones that aren't are either second hand (SA Mart) or at places like Best Buy they keep a record of all purchases in their computer tied to my name so there's no point.

Off topic, but you really should keep your receipts until the bill comes in the mail, assuming you bought it with a credit card. I never keep receipts for anything I buy in cash, though, which is most of my big ticket purchases are (cars, computers, cameras...).

poo poo can happen, but if you bring your receipts with you to Europe for all your electronic equipment, then you should probably go to a psychologist to get yourself checked out and get a prescription for something to make you not insane.

On a related note, if you go to Israel, be careful for your Macbook, because the Israeli Customs people might shoot it. http://www.cultofmac.com/welcome-to-israel-we-shot-your-macbook/23431

Makes the TSA's passenger rape or European Customs baggage theft not look so bad.

E: http://lilysussman.wordpress.com/2009/11/30/im-sorry-but-we-blew-up-your-laptop-welcome-to-israel/ (original article, which shows that the Israeli Customs people who did that were actually insane. in case someone tries to defend them on a "yeah but it could've been a terrorist laptop" basis, which it absolutely could not have been, and the customs people were just total assholes.)

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 18, 2011

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It is a pretty big problem in some countries though. Some co-workers from Argentina were training here in the US and they really did stock up on the electronics to avoid the 21% tax there and the much higher list prices. But they aren't idiots so they took them out of the boxes, installed their own backdrops, etc.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Best have your documents when you come to Switzerland!

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

An antique 270 year old violin is quite different from a camera.

Saladman posted:

On a related note, if you go to Israel, be careful for your Macbook, because the Israeli Customs people might shoot it. http://www.cultofmac.com/welcome-to-israel-we-shot-your-macbook/23431

Holy poo poo :psyduck:

Allia
Oct 6, 2010
I travel regularly between Germany and the states, and the one time I got stopped (this was leaving Germany) was when I went through security and they wanted to ask me some questions about my flute, and I always travel with two computers.

I often get questioned slightly when going through passport control in Germany, but that's more because I have a permanent resident visa for Germany, which was stamped in another city than I live in. A quick explanation that I no longer live in the city of issue and am studying is enough, unless they want to make small talk with me. They're usually pretty surprised that I speak fluent German, for some reason.

Shooting a laptop is just... Pretty amazing that the hard drive survived, though.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ziir posted:

An antique 270 year old violin is quite different from a camera.

Yeah for one thing you can call the loving Austrian National Bank and ask them what's the story instead of just impounding it like some dodgy t-shirts from Thailand.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
Am I the only one that cares about how awesome it is that an instrument that was build 270 years ago is still in use today?

Just imagine the reaction if somebody had shot that thing.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Or if had been irreparably damaged by just being chucked in some warehouse by an overzealous tit from customs?!?!

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

So, this is an incredible long shot, but I figured this thread might be my best shot and identifying this one very specific building.

Backstory: grandfather killed some nazzis in WWII and decided it'd be cool to take some pictures infront of this building. Nobody in my family knows exactly where it is, but our best guess is that it's somewhere in Belgium or possibly Central Europe (where his company played around). And it seems to be a government building.

http://i.imgur.com/kM7Tq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3zYJv.jpg

:downs: Goons, please tell me if I have any hope of finding out where or what this building is.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
The statue in front of the building appears to be a WWI memorial, but there's no telling whether or not that memorial (or the building itself) is still in place. If I had to hazard a guess I would say it's in Belgium or France, because it fits their style of WWI monuments.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Brokyn posted:

So, this is an incredible long shot, but I figured this thread might be my best shot and identifying this one very specific building.

Backstory: grandfather killed some nazzis in WWII and decided it'd be cool to take some pictures infront of this building. Nobody in my family knows exactly where it is, but our best guess is that it's somewhere in Belgium or possibly Central Europe (where his company played around). And it seems to be a government building.

http://i.imgur.com/kM7Tq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3zYJv.jpg

:downs: Goons, please tell me if I have any hope of finding out where or what this building is.

Seems like Brussels Palace of Justice:

Click here for the full 1572x929 image.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

other than the general silhouette, they're completely different:

Click here for the full 1018x712 image.

OptionalBreakfast
Jan 12, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Though most of the posts here have been about one week, four week, few month expeditions to Europe, I want to ask about moving to Europe for approximately 2 years. My prior European travel experience will be one week total in Berlin after May '11.

Situation:

Like many Americans, my wife and I have always fantasized about learning another language. Our interest has become more pronounced since I've been studying philosophy at the undergraduate level and have heard many good things about the German language from professors. Besides that, we both love the sound of it and have many German ancestors.

I am currently in my 3rd year at a small liberal arts college in West Virginia. I am taking a philosophy major and she is at the same university fulfilling her Masters in Education. Both of us will graduate in May 2012. We would like to move soon after graduation. We have little real money, as we are in our early 20s and haven't had a start in the real world. My wife, however, will have worked in a public school for one year if she can get a job after this semester. Our aim after our time in Europe is to get me into graduate school for philosophy in the states. Although we have many other reasons for wanting to learn German, admission into graduate school would be made much sweeter if I was fluent in another tongue.

We've both expressed interest in Switzerland. It's central to Europe, it's beautiful, and there's a large German-speaking population. That said, we're also open to other locations, but we've had no real Europe experience. Innovative suggestions are good. For instance, if you think it would be best to learn about a country through watching a particular sitcom that often talks about that country's society, let me know. I'm spitballing, but I'm sure there are ways to get an idea of where we would like to live besides looking at scenic photos of mountains.

My wife would like to do professional work while in Europe. Although I feel it would be difficult to get a job doing anything but working in a grocery store, I would also like to use the degree I'll have by summer 2012. She will be contacting schools in Europe to talk to them, but we can't seem to find much other introductory knowledge about the subject of finding work in Europe as a qualified, English-speaking teacher.

So, my question is broad since we are taking our first steps toward making the move in 2012. Where should we begin?

I don't expect the community here to be my travel guide, and they're our lives, so we will be researching on our own. Part of my reason for posting is the lack of cosmopolitan West Virginian citizens that we know. Our journey will be much easier if we can talk to people who have moved from America to Europe, especially those that have taken the leap with little knowledge, and others who have lived and worked in Europe.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Turns out it's not European at all!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_State_Capitol

(I cheated and used google goggles)

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

greazeball posted:

other than the general silhouette, they're completely different:

Click here for the full 1018x712 image.

Ah yeah, seems like I didn't look well enough at that picture. My bad!

Rojkir posted:

So there's that.

OptionalBreakfast posted:

Though most of the posts here have been about one week, four week, few month expeditions to Europe, I want to ask about moving to Europe for approximately 2 years. My prior European travel experience will be one week total in Berlin after May '11.
<snip>

I'm no expert, but I heard that moving for several years to Europe from the US to live and work means a lot of paperwork as for visas, etc. But it also depends on the country, some are very restrictive compared to others. I think it is easier if you move through a study exchange though but don't take my word on it.

As for work I guess you could teach english in schools and universities... Though I think you have to be at least a little bit fluent in the local language.

But a word of advice, Switzerland isn't the easiest place to start with; it is very expensive, immigration laws are very restrictive (for example, "national preference" for jobs: when there are two candidates for a job, a swiss one and a foreign one, an employer is obliged by law to give a job to the swiss, even if he is less qualified), and they speak a very weird dialect even most germans can't understand. Plus, they aren't in the EU.
I think you're better off in Germany or Austria (beware of weird local dialects though!) if you look to move in a german-speaking country.

Other than that, you have to keep in mind Europe is very diverse. You may love it in one country, but absolutely hate it in another, and this applies to everything: food, transportation, getting to know people... Even inside of countries you can have those differences, a few kilometers or a river may change everything.
That being said, there are a few things to remember; it is more expensive here, and you pay more taxes, but you get better public service. Distances are more important here, it's not usual to commute over 100 km to get to work. People are proud of their countries, but not in a Yeehaw-way, so don't confuse or blame them (though this is more common sense).

Also, it seems to me a lot of foreigners think we live either in cuckoo-clock houses and drink beer, or talk about philosophy while sipping wine the whole day in a café. Unfortunately, we have to live like everyone else, so while there is some truth to that cliché (more the drinking part however, plus some very beautiful cities and countrysides) a lot of us do normal office jobs before commuting back to a soulless suburb and spend the evening watching TV. So don't come with exaggerated expectations, while there is some amazing stuff to see and do, we do live quite like the average american person.

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 23, 2011

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

We've both expressed interest in Switzerland. It's central to Europe, it's beautiful, and there's a large German-speaking population. That said, we're also open to other locations, but we've had no real Europe experience. Innovative suggestions are good. For instance, if you think it would be best to learn about a country through watching a particular sitcom that often talks about that country's society, let me know. I'm spitballing, but I'm sure there are ways to get an idea of where we would like to live besides looking at scenic photos of mountains.

Can't help you much except to warn you that the German language spoken in Switzerland is very different to standard German. I've heard from several people who aren't native speakers but speak German well that they couldn't understand a Swiss person speaking German.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'll start with the reality-check questions first: do you have European passports or heritage? What's your work visa plan? How are you going to be allowed to live and work in Europe as Americans?

If you want to learn German, Switzerland is not the place for it. High German is the written language and the language of education, but the spoken dialect is a long way from German (as in, Germans don't really understand it). Austria maybe?

Rojkir posted:

hahaha... that's great!

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Rojkir posted:

Haha, feelgood thread of the year.

Though most of the posts here have been about one week, four week, few month expeditions to Europe, I want to ask about moving to Europe for approximately 2 years.
While I am hardly an expert on immigration laws, my short and sweet opinion is that you are hosed unless you left out some relevant information (you being EU citizens, Irish grandparents, your many years experience of working as a nurse).

A standard Schengen tourist visa is for three months in a six month period. Additionally you are not allowed to work with such a visa. While you would hardly be the first one to overstay a tourist visa for a significant amount of time and work under the table, it is really not something to recommend.

Work visas are going to vary from country to country. Your wife may have a very slim chance of qualifying there is frankly no way that you will with your lack of a professional degree or skills.

Anyhow, if I haven't depressed you too much and you still want to push forward my tip for your wife is to consider working at an international school. It is the option that makes sense given that she doesn't know the local language, which generally means that teaching at a regular public school is right out.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Doctor Malaver posted:

Can't help you much except to warn you that the German language spoken in Switzerland is very different to standard German. I've heard from several people who aren't native speakers but speak German well that they couldn't understand a Swiss person speaking German.

All of my German friends over here have told me the exact same story about how they once met a Swiss or Austrian guy/girl at a hostel in another country (most often times it's Australia, or New Zealand...) and had to resort to communicating in English because he didn't understand them.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

Rojkir posted:

:ughh: That lying bastard told my dad it was somewhere in Europe.

Thanks for figuring that out though. I wanted to use Google Goggles so bad, but of course I have a winmo phone. Sad trombone.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Brokyn posted:

:ughh: That lying bastard told my dad it was somewhere in Europe.

Thanks for figuring that out though. I wanted to use Google Goggles so bad, but of course I have a winmo phone. Sad trombone.

This is hilarious.

OptionalBreakfast
Jan 12, 2011

by Ozmaugh
After reading your posts and a few websites, I've got some useful information. Thanks for the help; it's so early in the game that we hadn't considered the difficulty of being permitted to work in Germany, so any information is very much appreciated.

Switzerland isn't what we want if the spoken dialect is so different from the Germans'. We'll stick to the EU. Most likely Germany.

I haven't done much research on the possibility of working in the EU, but I wasn't expecting good news for myself.

As for my wife, does anyone have specific information about the feasibility of teaching at an international school as a graduate with a Masters in Education from the U.S.?

And for me, are average, low-income jobs an option? We're apt to hire those who barely speak English as custodians in America. It's a bad job, but I'd be there to learn the language and wouldn't mind such work. I've worked throughout most of my undergrad life as a gas station attendant. Custodial technology isn't my first job choice, but I'd take it.

How could I find some of these local newspapers? I think that even getting a few hardcopies of local papers with classifieds that I could translate would be helpful. They'd give me a feel for the types of jobs commonly offered in German cities, for instance. Plus, the exercise of translating the papers would be helpful/fun.

We're over 18 months away from the attempted voyage, so I'll probably have a lot of questions. Feel free to provide 'extra' information or insights that might help.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Will either of you have an absolutely bulletproof work visa? Because if not, you're just not even going to be considered. Europe's economy is in the toilet so the job market is very competitive in all sectors. There are thousands of people migrating from economically depressed areas of the EU to every city to fight tooth and nail for custodial jobs that pay 5x a good salary in Bulgaria, Romania or Poland. Ireland's economy has really hit the shitter and Britain isn't in great shape either so there will be plenty of candidates for native-English teaching positions.

Basically there is a lot of competition for every job over here and if there is the tiniest administrative impediment to hiring you, 99% of employers just won't bother. I moved from the US to Europe (first Ireland, then Switzerland) and it would have been totally impossible if I wasn't married to a Swiss-Italian.

Maybe someone else will pop up with a different way of doing things but getting some sort of paperwork strategy should really be your first priority. Or just focus on saving up as much money as possible and move to Germany for a few months to study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ziir posted:

All of my German friends over here have told me the exact same story about how they once met a Swiss or Austrian guy/girl at a hostel in another country (most often times it's Australia, or New Zealand...) and had to resort to communicating in English because he didn't understand them.

99% of Swiss Germans also speak High German, so if they couldn't understand Swiss directly speaking to them, that's because the Swiss were intentionally being dicks. Which wouldn't be the first time in history that's happened.

OptionalBreakfast: Your most realistic course of action is probably to apply to school in Europe. Since you're married, if you or your wife gets in, both of you will get a visa. The same applies for a job, but without engineering or medical-field degrees, you're going to have a hard time unless you have some sort of personal connection. International School might work with her MsEd; she'd probably have a pretty solid shot at TASIS or somewhere similar. In general they will prefer Brits or Irish to your wife, though. Her MsEd will put her on par with a 22 year old drunkard Brit with a BA in classical studies. [E: All Brits are drunkards.]

E: If your wife gets a real job first, it means you'll get a working (spouse) visa, at which point you can get a janitorial job or similar. However, if you don't speak German or at least Turkish, they won't hire you. Most of the people working manual labor jobs in the US speak Spanish; think about how much harder it would be to get those jobs if you speak neither Spanish nor English (I assume, I have no anecdotes to offer).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 24, 2011