Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Hah, had to share this. I was doing some practice combat against two tanks with a Vulcan, first round I hit one, critical damage, it sinks and is destroyed, the other one spends a few rounds zipping around me and shooting before I immobolize it across a river. I decide to get behind it to finish it off safely, so I step into the water.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize my leg armor had been destroy, cue my leg being flooded with water and destroyed, me falling prone into the water while the actuators and gyros explode. I managed to hobble out and finish off the tank, but it was a a really narrow win from what could have been a great one.

Shameful, water is EVIL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtlantisMantis
Feb 8, 2008

aut vincere aut mori
I love the Battletech universe, but my secret shame is that I've never actually played the tabletop (my friends were too deep in 40K). If it's not too late, I would love to throw myself into the rookie meatgrinder!

Also, since the year is 3032, does that mean we get all the fun variations of the Hatchetman? Nothing says :black101: like bringing an axe to a laser fight.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I too would like to volunteer myself to be blown apart during my first attempt at the tabletop game. I would have posted yesterday if I'd realized how fast this thread would move. You can reach me at ilkhanfel at gmail dot com .

Knowing PTN's knack for stories this will be a thread to follow even if I can't directly participate.

cafel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 23, 2011

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

cafel posted:

I too would like to volunteer my self to be blown apart during my first attempt at the tabletop game. I would have posted yesterday if I'd realized how fast this thread would move. You can reach me at ilkhanfel at gmail dot com .

Knowing PTN's knack for stories this will be a thread to follow even if I can't directly participate.

Which is exactly why I'm staying involved, if only as an observer until I find my old BTech books.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Try to avoid splitting your fire. A nearly dead mech (baring any lucky critical hits) is just as dangerous as an undamaged one.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Tarquinn posted:

Try to avoid splitting your fire. A nearly dead mech (baring any lucky critical hits) is just as dangerous as an undamaged one.

Which is why I want us to focus fire on the same target as much as possible, and since they are hover craft there is only one real way they can go to get us, the mechs well be mainly our heavy hitters keeping their attention while the scouts circle around them and try for flank shots or back shots. A jenner in the back of anything less than a heavy is not going to be pretty to say the least.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

And so it begins...

On an unrelated note, my email is static_dragoon at the hotmail dot com. I await the chance to blow up gloriously through my own stupidity.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Renaissance Spam posted:

Which is exactly why I'm staying involved, if only as an observer until I find my old BTech books.

I never owned any of the books :( But I did read a few scenario ones a friend had, and they always looked extremely awesome. How long would it take to get up to speed?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
All I know about Battletech is from playing MechWarrior 3 (which totals to something like 'the Supernova is awesome!'), but I'm loving this right now :3: Doesn't hurt that PoptartsNinja is great.

By the way, and it might just be me, but I kinda prefer the looks of the more functional or abstract-looking 'mechs (like the aformented Supernova) to the ones that seem more human (like the Griffin). Anyone else agree?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Depending on what the fourth mech is, you actually have a good chance of knocking out the whole enemy force. J Edgars can be easy to disable or destroy, Jenners cancel each other out and Spider is seriously outgunned. The lone Dragon is roughly equivalent to your Griffin. If the fourth mech is a light, you should have a good chance of winning this. Just don't let the hovercrafts speed away. You have nothing that can keep pace with them.

e: never mind, I have a good guess on the fourth mech and while you can still win, you probably shouldn't even attempt to.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 23, 2011

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Hob_Gadling posted:

Depending on what the fourth mech is, you actually have a good chance of knocking out the whole enemy force. J Edgars can be easy to disable or destroy, Jenners cancel each other out and Spider is seriously outgunned. The lone Dragon is roughly equivalent to your Griffin. If the fourth mech is a light, you should have a good chance of winning this. Just don't let the hovercrafts speed away. You have nothing that can keep pace with them.

e: never mind, I have a good guess on the fourth mech and while you can still win, you probably shouldn't even attempt to.

Yeah if the fourth mech is what I expect it to be I would say get in there kill the Hovercraft and cut your way out. Even if it is not this is not a bad basic plan, I would ignore the mechs more or less and focus on taking the hovercraft down.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Oh, you big worrywarts. I'm sure that fourth mech is nothing they can't handle! Probably barely even anything. The spotter just mistook some trees for a mech. What's there to worry about? :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

Oh, you big worrywarts. I'm sure that fourth mech is nothing they can't handle! Probably barely even anything. The spotter just mistook some trees for a mech. What's there to worry about? :v:

Gonna laugh when it turns out to be a Panther and cores somebody's leg with its first shot.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
You don't get to be in a merc company cause you're a coward! There are reasonable risks and then there is being in the Kurita militia. Thankfully, my mech is painted with a red and black triangle not a snake:c00l:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 23, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Gonna laugh when it turns out to be a Panther and cores somebody's head with its first shot.

Fixed that for you.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
I'd like to say, Poptarts, you are an incredible ambassador. Thanks to you, not only have I spent upwards of $200 on Star Trek Online, but I've also de-lurked here and bought the ability to recieve PMs.

So, yeah. You're writing some awesome stuff, and I'd like to volunteer to die with honor in battle, errr, ignominiously flee from battle like the coward I am (no, that's not right,) to achieve glorious victory in battle for the Kell Hounds!

That is to say, I'd like to volunteer to be a Mechwarrior/Mech Commander. I have PMs.

(P.S.: I hate Level 1 play, so that should say something about just how good your writing and scenario set-up is. Now I need to go practice not melting my Battlemech...)

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
Sign me up

My email is nrb24 at pitt.edu

Also I've never played mechwarrior ,but I have played mechassault. That's close enough...right?...I'm gonna die.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The strategy chat is fascinating and all, but the biggest takeaway about this scenario for me is that your objectives are J. Edgar hover tanks. That's such a simple joke and yet to see it buried among a pile of statistics and combat rules makes it like a thousand times funnier.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Yeah Panthers are really evil. I was dicking around in megamek earlier and the one I brought out (with a 4/5 pilot even) managed to one shot two mechs in as many turns. First combat turn blows a Commando's head, second turn was crit to the CT on a Blackjack and hit the gyro twice. That mech did nothing for the rest of the fight.

Kill leader ending up being a Mongoose who went toe to toe with two bugs and won. Then he ran to other side of the battle and popped a Jenner from behind with his small laser.

Edit: I also just watched the first ep of the cartoon. I never saw that when I was a kid and good christ is it terrible.

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 23, 2011

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Canopus250 posted:

Edit: I also just watched the first ep of the cartoon. I never saw that when I was a kid and good christ is it terrible.
The best part about the cartoon is that it's canonized as a poorly reviewed propaganda cartoon series.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Xmas Future posted:

The best part about the cartoon is that it's canonized as a poorly reviewed propaganda cartoon series.

Haha, seriously? :byodood:

The only not-poo poo thing about the cartoon was the 'enhanced imaging' CGI. That was pretty cool when I was younger. Everythnig else about it can eat a bag of dicks.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

I actually liked the cartoon.

After the drat awful first episodes, which made me want to pour bleach into my eyes, it got sort of enjoyable.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

evilmiera posted:

After the drat awful first episodes, which made me want to pour bleach into my eyes, it got sort of enjoyable.

Did they ever move past the 'there are 4 types of mechs in the entire Sphere' thing they did with Centurions, Wolfhounds, Maulers and Axemen?

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I think my post got missed because I didn't bold it properly, but I'd like to be a mech pilot. And I've got PMs.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I hate Level 1 play

But that's the best part! All the major weapon types are in balance, physical attacks other than kicking are still useful and even light mechs have some sort of life expectancy.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Hob_Gadling posted:

But that's the best part! All the major weapon types are in balance, physical attacks other than kicking are still useful and even light mechs have some sort of life expectancy.

And heat is something you actualy have to be aware of.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WarLocke posted:

Did they ever move past the 'there are 4 types of mechs in the entire Sphere' thing they did with Centurions, Wolfhounds, Maulers and Axemen?

I'm pretty sure that show is the reason I love Axmen and Maulers so much. I had both of the toys. :downs:

(Granted, I also have the Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman and..Er..Archer?..From the short-lived Robotech Exosquad line)

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I haven't played 3025 battletech in about 20 years, but I'll gladly offer myself up as a 'mech pilot and show the young ones how to fail your piloting rolls in a spectacular fashion as i invariably cave in my cockpit on a tree. I've got PM's so no need for email stuff.

That said, I'm really excited to see what this timeline has in store for us, not to mention how our first pilots do in their encounter.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Hob_Gadling posted:

Yea, the level 2 erppc(clan) and gauss rifle really change things as they can both decapitate any mech from 22 hexes away.

VVV

I'm not sure what you're getting at. ERPPCs and guass rifles are the same tech level as double heat sinks. Also gauss rifles don't make any heat.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 23, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Even with those, the fact that they basically build mechs around using just those weapons to use them more than once or twice was nice... until double heat sinks and the age of the clanner trash :(

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

Yea, the level 2 erppc(clan) and gauss rifle really change things as they can both decapitate any mech from 22 hexes away.

I don't know. I still like Level 2 rules, a lot. They're... different, and it's a different style of game, but it's one I like just as much as level 1. :shobon:

Besides, streak SRMs are just fun. :swoon:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Hob_Gadling posted:

Sorry, I cannot agree.

To hell with balance, I want to unleash some hot electric death with enough weapons packed into one 75-tonner to fry a 3025 Atlas in one volley.

Besides vauge memories of watching the cartoon as a kid (and having found it again later, I have to say it's not all that bad,) my first exposure to Battletech was the BTech/Mechwarrior novels and Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance, then Black Knight, then Mercenaries. And Megamek, of course.

I can play 3025. I just ran a megamek scenario in which I kicked names and took bubblegum:

My units:
Lynx LNX-8Q (Survived)
Screaming Hawk SCR-1A-BT (Survived, albiet gyro destroyed on the last turn of fighting)
Trebuchet TBT-5N (Survived)
Pixie PIX-3-TF (Survived)
(Pixie's a custom 35-tonner with three medium lasers in torso and head slots, 7/11/7 and lots of armor that came loaded with Megamek.)

My enemies:
Mongoose MON-67 (Cored, pilot TKO)
Griffin GRF-1S (Cored)
Crockett CRK-5003-0 (Head stomped in by the Pixie after a merciless backstabbing campaign)
Hunchback HBK-4J (Cored)

I just prefer the 3060s. :)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

My units:
Lynx LNX-8Q (Survived)
Screaming Hawk SCR-1A-BT (Survived, albiet gyro destroyed on the last turn of fighting)
Trebuchet TBT-5N (Survived)
Pixie PIX-3-TF (Survived)
(Pixie's a custom 35-tonner with three medium lasers in torso and head slots, 7/11/7 and lots of armor that came loaded with Megamek.)

My enemies:
Mongoose MON-67 (Cored, pilot TKO)
Griffin GRF-1S (Cored)
Crockett CRK-5003-0 (Head stomped in by the Pixie after a merciless backstabbing campaign)
Hunchback HBK-4J (Cored)

I'm counting 3 actual mechs and 5 abortions?

Seriously I don't even know what the gently caress a Screaming Hawk or Pixie is.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I just prefer the 3060s. :)

Hey, 3060 can be fun. I think it is more fun in a "omg i'm going to die if that lance of stone rhinos get a beat on us" but really I like the early mechs soley for the fact it is difficult and a bit more realistic as tall big robots shooting each other at 180 yards max range can be.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I'm counting 3 actual mechs and 5 abortions?

Seriously I don't even know what the gently caress a Screaming Hawk or Pixie is.

My bad. I had it pick randomly for me and the computer player. Like I said, they're non-canon designs that came pre-loaded with MegaMek.

Pixie: 35 tons, 7/11/7 movement, 10 sinks, 112 points of armor, three medium lasers: LT, RT and HD. 936 BV.

Hardly an 'abortion', since it proved to be an incredibly useful harasser, basically locking down that Crockett.

Screaming Hawk: 55 tons, 5/8/5 movement, 13 heat sinks, 168 points of armor. Two medium lasers, LA and RA, a PPC in the RA and an LRM 5 in the RT with 24 shots of ammo.

It... Wasn't really all that great. It did fairly well at PPC/LRM sniping, but then the gryo got hit which made the jets more or less 5 tons of dead weight (like hell I'm trying to jump or run with a busted gyro,) and it crawled away to take potshots from between hills. Still, not bad, either.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Axe-man posted:

Hey, 3060 can be fun. I think it is more fun in a "omg i'm going to die if that lance of stone rhinos get a beat on us" but really I like the early mechs soley for the fact it is difficult and a bit more realistic as tall big robots shooting each other at 180 yards max range can be.

"High-tech weapons fired over iron sights," as the quip went.

I just like newer, flashier and cooler. :)

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I'd like to say, Poptarts, you are an incredible ambassador. Thanks to you, not only have I spent upwards of $200 on Star Trek Online, but I've also de-lurked here and bought the ability to recieve PMs.

I think it would be fascinating to find out how much money Poptarts has caused people to give to someone other than himself.

Good god, imagine if he used this power for evil.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ActionZero posted:

Good god, imagine if he used this power for evil.

Quick, does anyone know if PTN has a goatee?!?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

WarLocke posted:

Hey now, they had Bushwackers too.

Strangely, I never saw the cartoon as a kid, so I had gotten a couple of the toys just because I had been reading Battletech books and played the Mechwarrior games of the time.

If they are up against a Panther as the mystery mech, I feel a little sorry for them. Though at least it's not a Wight or a Talon. Or a Puma smuggled in from the Future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Quick, does anyone know if PTN has a goatee?!?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread