Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Taear posted:

*than, not then.
Congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

LE0N posted:

buh buh Alan Partridge and the guy from Gavin and stacey!!!!
Correction: Alan Partridge and Keith Barret.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Wasn't the whole thing voted for by the public? If so, there's your answer right there. The public are idiots! The public cheer and jeer at people doing live karaoke, the public stood outside clapping for idiots that lived in a house.

The public :argh:

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
^^^^
And yeah, this. The kind of people who vote for these kind of shows have no discernible personal taste, and merely regurgitate whatever the general consensus is around them. This is why N-Dubz are liked by 90% of the population and why Little Britain is a comedy classic.

In truth The Trip and Grandma's House were pretty mediocre shows, and I don't really understand how they were particularly 'sophisticated'. The Trip was just 3 hours of impressions and Grandma's house 3 hours of Simen Amstell failing to act. I should add that I enjoyed both the programs to an extent, but neither are deserving of any award.

That said I really enjoyed Whites so what do I know. :suicide:

And best comedy quiz should have gone to Celebrity Juice because it's absolutely hilarious (if you're into nob, vagina and boob gags).

Royality fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 23, 2011

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Hoops posted:

And I'm sorry, crucify me if you will, but the impressions became *horrifically* overdone by the end, and they ended up being this massive yoke around its neck where half the episode was simply annoying.

I agree, the cringe factor really became unbearable for me by the end because of this.

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006

King Crab posted:

Wasn't the whole thing voted for by the public? If so, there's your answer right there. The public are idiots! The public cheer and jeer at people doing live karaoke, the public stood outside clapping for idiots that lived in a house.

The public :argh:

No, only the last award was chosen by the public.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I just read this, is it true? Or is it still a maybe/possibility which probably won't happen?
http://io9.com/5740612/red-dwarf-to-return-for-a-new-series

I only got through the first third of the recent back to earth special, it was pretty horrid.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12260577

BBC 2011, ready to apologise for everything

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

A5H posted:

Naw. That manly thing shoe does with the thumb up/weird face is too much of a turn off.
Also that Irish lad on the date was proper hilarious.
I love this stupid show.

Late but I cannot wait for next weeks to see how the date where the girl accidentally left her light on with that runty dancer went.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

phujck posted:

The double slit experiment is not something you can "get over". The Copenhagen interpretation is pretty loving agnostic about what's going on, which is problematic when you can get the result not just using electrons, but freaking bucky balls. Those are big molecules- if they experience quantum effects too, it makes it all the more loving mysterious why we don't. Decoherence theory is not as convincing as it should be!

tl,dr;

Double slit experiment is very important, and it's the go to example for a much bigger interpretational issue.

I understand that, I just think viewers should be familiar enough with it by now as it's on pretty much on every documentary about quantum theory. I'd like it if it was either briefly mentioned and explained or a full hour given to explaining it. A series exploring quantum mechanics in the style of 'wonders of the solar system' would be good to explain things a little more in depth.

Similar to how comedy shows sometimes take risks, I'd like to see a science documentary take risks. Michael Mosley and Brian Cox are good, but I'd like to see them go a bit further. I went to a lecture by Brian Cox last year and though it was a little tough to keep up with sometimes it went a lot deeper and covered more ground than any recent episode of Horizon.

I watched Tool Academy the other night. It was entertaining enough but the whole thing was jarringly American. I'll watch it again even though the angry one left.

BiggusDickus
Apr 18, 2008

stevey666 posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12260577

BBC 2011, ready to apologise for everything

This is loving outrageous, since the Japanese have only during the last decade very half-heartedly apologized for some of the war crimes they committed during WW2, and are yet to apologize for their sex slave camps. gently caress the Japanese.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Royality posted:

In truth The Trip and Grandma's House were pretty mediocre shows, and I don't really understand how they were particularly 'sophisticated'. The Trip was just 3 hours of impressions and Grandma's house 3 hours of Simen Amstell failing to act. I should add that I enjoyed both the programs to an extent, but neither are deserving of any award.

Both were still immeasurably better than loving Miranda, even if you think they were mediocre, which I don't personally. You generalised them way too much as well, both shows had some excellent writing and it's kind of a shame that Amstell wasn't very good at acting but I do think he got better as it went on.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

BiggusDickus posted:

This is loving outrageous, since the Japanese have only during the last decade very half-heartedly apologized for some of the war crimes they committed during WW2, and are yet to apologize for their sex slave camps. gently caress the Japanese.

Yes but the BBC operates under the idea that if they cause any kind of offence to anybody (no matter how small) it will increase their chances of losing the license fee.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Metrication posted:

Yes but the BBC operates under the idea that if they cause any kind of offence to anybody (no matter how small) it will increase their chances of losing the license fee.

Well the news this morning was going on about a new scottish digital channel takig funds from the licence fee.

We don't need local stations because gently caress all ever happens here that's worth making any shows about.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

drunkill posted:

I just read this, is it true? Or is it still a maybe/possibility which probably won't happen?
http://io9.com/5740612/red-dwarf-to-return-for-a-new-series

I only got through the first third of the recent back to earth special, it was pretty horrid.

'Lister you smeghead, put down that improvised beer can heroin pipe and listen to me!'

I doubt we'll ever get a good Red Dwarf series again.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

Both were still immeasurably better than loving Miranda, even if you think they were mediocre, which I don't personally. You generalised them way too much as well, both shows had some excellent writing and it's kind of a shame that Amstell wasn't very good at acting but I do think he got better as it went on.

I love Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon as much as the next man, but The Trip just wasn't very good. It was underwhelming and forgettable. Grandma's house was better, but it still wasn't consitently good enough to get too excited about. I'm not saying Miranda is better - I think they're all pretty bad - but I don't think The Trip or Grandma's House deserve any awards either.

I like my comedies to make me laugh a lot, not once an episode.

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.

SeanBeansShako posted:

'Lister you smeghead, put down that improvised beer can heroin pipe and listen to me!'

I doubt we'll ever get a good Red Dwarf series again.

I will still give it a chance. If they focus on the idea of everything getting old (including them) and keep episodes simple and in a small enviroment it could just work. Green screen and over use cgi use is a big no no.

The better episodes were always just their group in a small area taking the piss out of each other. It's one of the main reasons series 8 was such a failure and why Casandra was the one half decent epsiode in that series.

Cat losing his looks and hair, Kryton falling apart, Lister being (even more of) a mess. You can even say they reprogrammed Rimmer so he ages/gains weight with them as a joke.

Its not like there isn't enough material to work with, its just capturing that soul that series 3-6 had.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I do agree with your ideas though, and it would be nice if they did one more series to wrap up that storyline.

Kind of depressing thinking of them still floating alone out there pushing fifty, Lister still far from Fiji.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Trip was marvelous, as was Grandma's House. If you disagree then I'm afraid you're going in the oven come the revolution.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I thought The Trip was brilliant. I just wasn't quite sure what it was trying to do. I did love the impressions but after a while it just seemed like the entire point of the show was to get Bryon and Coogan to impersonate celebrities in restaurants. I mean they were really good at them, but I much preferred the scenes where Brydon recites Wordsworth and Coogan is talking about the rock formations, because it felt like it was a glimpse into Northern England but with a drama laid over the top of it.

That all sounded really pretentious and negative, but I still loved it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Trip was great, but it was more of a drama that happened to include humourous bits, rather than a sitcom.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Kin posted:

Well the news this morning was going on about a new scottish digital channel takig funds from the licence fee.

We don't need local stations because gently caress all ever happens here that's worth making any shows about.

Politician seem obsessed with the idea of carving up and redistributing the license fee to greatly inferior causes. So far the BBC has managed to resist though, not sure how long they can keep that up in the next 10 years with the onslaught of the web and all that.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Uncertain Frog posted:

I will still give it a chance. If they focus on the idea of everything getting old (including them) and keep episodes simple and in a small enviroment it could just work. Green screen and over use cgi use is a big no no.

The better episodes were always just their group in a small area taking the piss out of each other. It's one of the main reasons series 8 was such a failure and why Casandra was the one half decent epsiode in that series.

Cat losing his looks and hair, Kryton falling apart, Lister being (even more of) a mess. You can even say they reprogrammed Rimmer so he ages/gains weight with them as a joke.

Its not like there isn't enough material to work with, its just capturing that soul that series 3-6 had.

3 to 5

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Metrication posted:

Politician seem obsessed with the idea of carving up and redistributing the license fee to greatly inferior causes. So far the BBC has managed to resist though, not sure how long they can keep that up in the next 10 years with the onslaught of the web and all that.

It is because it suits their agenda for the destruction of the BBC. The quality goes down, the new local stations are unwatched, and the liscence fee is too high for what people receive. The liscence fee system has obviously failed, they will say, bring in Murdoch and the free market.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Uncertain Frog posted:

Cat losing his looks and hair, Kryton falling apart, Lister being a brain in a jar. You can even say they reprogrammed Rimmer so he ages/gains weight with them as a joke.

Fixed.

I really hope they go back to the hand made clunky robot skutters. The cheap CGI skutters in the new episodes just looked wrong and so obviously fake.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Paperhouse posted:

Don't they fulfil completely different needs? I'm no big fan of her sitcom, but I can appreciate it's quite good for what it is. Although Grandma's House should have won.

Miranda Hart as a person, however, is loving amazing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Kind of depressing thinking of them still floating alone out there pushing fifty, Lister still far from Fiji.

Lister doesn't want to go to Fiji any longer. Series 1/2 never happened - instead the books did, where they got back to Earth and the rest of the inhabitants of the solar system had gotten tired of it and turned it into a refuse planet.
That's why in series 3 onwards they never once mention that they want to go back to Earth.

And it will never be good again. Without Rob Grant, Doug Naylor just doesn't have the spark. They need each other to be able to write.

That said series 8 is definitely better than 7 - Naylor did 7 all on his own and if you watch them both back on the DVDs you can definitely tell. Series 8 at least has moments of greatness. Not so much on the TV when the episodes are split up into parts, but when you watch them all as a lump they're definitely decent.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

slotbadger posted:

Miranda Hart as a person, however, is loving amazing.

Explain?

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Guy just has a thing for giants.

What are everyones thoughts on Not Going Out? I want to hate it for some reason, but I quite like it.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

stevey666 posted:

What are everyones thoughts on Not Going Out? I want to hate it for some reason, but I quite like it.
I'm exactly the same, I want to hate it but I will watch it and quite enjoy it.

It's not brilliant, but it's great to be able to sit down and have a bit of a giggle at.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's a hell of a lot funnier than Miranda

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

The latest series of NGO has been great so far (no miranda hart is a bonus). Why do you want to hate a sitcom? Goons are so weird.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Taear posted:

And it will never be good again. Without Rob Grant, Doug Naylor just doesn't have the spark. They need each other to be able to write.

Doug needs Rob exponentially more than Rob needs Doug. Just read Backwards and Last Human back-to-back to see why this is the case.

quote:

That said series 8 is definitely better than 7 - Naylor did 7 all on his own and if you watch them both back on the DVDs you can definitely tell. Series 8 at least has moments of greatness. Not so much on the TV when the episodes are split up into parts, but when you watch them all as a lump they're definitely decent.

You sure about this? Doug used other writers extensively in S7 (4 writers on 5 out of 8 episodes) and far less in S8 (2 out of 8 episodes and only Paul Alexander)...

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It is because it suits their agenda for the destruction of the BBC. The quality goes down, the new local stations are unwatched, and the liscence fee is too high for what people receive. The liscence fee system has obviously failed, they will say, bring in Murdoch and the free market.

I wonder how the collapse of the newspapers in the next couple of years will affect politician's decision making process. Will be interesting to see wether they will have the balls to do the right thing instead of backing down all the time.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cerv posted:

3 to 5

No one likes 1 and 2?

I thought those had by FAR the most "soul", they were the ones that were most about the characters and least about some massive external conflict, or feedline-punchline type jokes. Not that I dislike 3-6, but it's like it's two shows; 1 and 2 is a character based sitcom in space, 3-6 is a more jokey sci-fi sitcom with some crazy plot elements, and 7+ doesn't exist because it was never made.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Cassandra and Tikka to Ride are pretty much the only decent things to come out of the last two series.

One thing that I noticed when I re-watched the DVDs was that series 8 holds up better than 7, but when you watch 1-6 back to back, you suddenly realise that 8 has joke after joke that's been recycled from 1-6.

I don't mind the formulaic approach to 6 that's often criticised on the internet - the weekly joke about an old fashioned fabric and a space corp directive - because the ideas more than make up for it (Legion and Gunmen are both fantastic)...but 8 feels lazier than ever when you hold it up for comparison.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
8 had the dinosaur two parter that was loving horrible.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Trin Tragula posted:

You sure about this? Doug used other writers extensively in S7 (4 writers on 5 out of 8 episodes) and far less in S8 (2 out of 8 episodes and only Paul Alexander)...

That doesn't match up to what they say in the commentary and documentaries - series 7 he didn't want anyone helping and in 8 he extensively used Paul Alexander.

And Pete is quite good, probably the best of series 8.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Fatkraken posted:

No one likes 1 and 2?

I thought those had by FAR the most "soul", they were the ones that were most about the characters and least about some massive external conflict, or feedline-punchline type jokes.

1 and 2 were the series without a monster of the week; instead there's the brilliant philosophical episodes like Confidence and Paranoia, Me2, and Thanks for the Memory. And the non-guitary intro. I want Stabbim the Skutter back :(

[edit] and the new series needs a song and dance routine like Series 2's closer. No question.

Anything Auntie puts on national television with a combined scenery & props budget of £10 plus change ends up being brilliant; not figured out the logic behind that yet.

spincube fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Confidence and Paranoia is one of my personal top ten favourites I got to add in here.