Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh good, Valkyria Chronicles 3's Japanese page confirms that at least over there, there will be a simultaneous release with the downloadable version. Still no word on SRWZ2 though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Z2 is gonna be a very interesting case. Bamco absolutely hates putting their poo poo on digital and if it launches simultaneously that would be a huge move forward.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Is anyone else planning on grabbing Lord of Arcana next week? I enjoyed the demo and the option to port stuff you obtained in the demo into the full version is nice and all, but I'm not sure how much depth the game is gonna have outside of what was shown in the demo.

There's also some kind of rewards system for playing in groups, which makes it sound like you miss out on unique stuff if you're playing it solo all the time.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

iastudent posted:

Is anyone else planning on grabbing Lord of Arcana next week? I enjoyed the demo and the option to port stuff you obtained in the demo into the full version is nice and all, but I'm not sure how much depth the game is gonna have outside of what was shown in the demo.

There's also some kind of rewards system for playing in groups, which makes it sound like you miss out on unique stuff if you're playing it solo all the time.

Haven't even heard of it yet, what's the game like?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

SixOhSix posted:

Haven't even heard of it yet, what's the game like

It's basically a PSO/Monster Hunter-style action RPG with different types of weapons in place of classes. And you do God of War-type QTEs and fatalities to harvest items from enemies and to kill bosses. :stare:

They put a demo for it on PSN a couple weeks ago which is supposed to let you transfer your stats and gear when you play the full version.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Apparently the intense abuse of <15 hours played and never travelling with my PSP has made it so my WLAN button has to be on the exact right millimeter to work. Quality craftsmanship.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 21, 2011

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

iastudent posted:

I tried out the demo for it, and was pretty unimpressed. You spend an inordinate amount of time fighting weak things, and most boss battles seem to involve spamming a standard attack at one area until you get an insta-win QTE.

I'm horribly biased to Monster Hunter, but aside from that, I'd recommend any other game of it's type over LoA. Peacewalker, Phantasy Star Portable 2, or the upcoming God Eater Burst would all probably be better purchases.

I'll probably get it anyways, but I'll hate myself while I play it!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Just picked up Ace Combat: Joint Assault and it's really fun so far. The voice acting is on par with the rest of the series, so it's hilariously bad, and it supports infrastructure Multiplayer, so I can play with other people!* The controls work really well although my thumb is a little sore from switching between the stick and D-pad for control of the rudders.

*Assuming I can ever get it to connect to campus internet

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

Just picked up Ace Combat: Joint Assault and it's really fun so far. The voice acting is on par with the rest of the series, so it's hilariously bad, and it supports infrastructure Multiplayer, so I can play with other people!* The controls work really well although my thumb is a little sore from switching between the stick and D-pad for control of the rudders.

*Assuming I can ever get it to connect to campus internet

If you want to play sometime, let me know. PSN: smh17.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Welcome to the long, long road until touchdown folks.

One of Japan's major newspapers is confirming that Sony will indeed reveal PSP2 and the PSPhone at Thursday's PlayStation Conference. As the link mentions, previous PlayStation Conferences were used to reveal the PSP and PS3 in the past, so there is a precedent for major announcements at these conferences.

Once again, claims made that the PSP2 will have greater network ability and graphics comparable to the PS3. Multiple developers confirming dev kits have been received, and the release is expected to be somewhere around December 2011 in Japan (and I would guess early Spring 2012 for the West if PSP1 was any indication)

Oh and PSPhone is Sony basically saying "WE WANT APP STORE MONEY!"

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I assume the PSPhone is just this Xperia handset we've seen around?

Anyway, I'm loving pumped for PSP2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yet another Japanese newspaper has revealed information about PSP2, this time it is Nikkei.

There isn't much revealed this time around, but the quality of what they're dropping is pretty heavy. According to Nikkei, the PSP2 will feature 3G wireless support on top of the original ad-hoc support. This 3G support is mentioned as a faster way of downloading movies and games onto the PSP2 itself, but not used for phone calls?! It will also feature an OLED touch screen, as well as a brand new processor. No word if there's a subscription fee to the 3G support.

PSPhone is just a smart phone running on Android.

From the sounds of it, PSP2 is going to try and be some sort of hybrid iPhone/PSP.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Yet another Japanese newspaper has revealed information about PSP2, this time it is Nikkei.

There isn't much revealed this time around, but the quality of what they're dropping is pretty heavy. According to Nikkei, the PSP2 will feature 3G wireless support on top of the original ad-hoc support. This 3G support is mentioned as a faster way of downloading movies and games onto the PSP2 itself, but not used for phone calls?! It will also feature an OLED touch screen, as well as a brand new processor. No word if there's a subscription fee to the 3G support.

PSPhone is just a smart phone running on Android.

From the sounds of it, PSP2 is going to try and be some sort of hybrid iPhone/PSP.

If it's got 3G, there's a chance Telstra will sell it, meaning there's a chance I'll get it free :D

edit: The big question is pretty much still how will we put the games in the machine?

Mug fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 23, 2011

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I wonder how the 3G will be paid for; hopefully by the initial cost of buy-in to the ecosystem like the Kindle. Unlikely, though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Mug posted:

edit: The big question is pretty much still how will we put the games in the machine?

I'm betting that PSP2 is going the full on digital exclusive route like PSP Go or the PSP2 prototype models seemed to indicate. The use of 3G is mentioned for faster downloads of games and movies, so maybe they're intending to expand the accessibility of access to the PSN to essentially anywhere you can be in a civilized area and get games/moves onto it much faster and easier than an established Wi-Fi connection.

What I'm wondering is just how backwards compatibility is going to be handled if this is the case. Would Sony pull a dick move like "only PSN-bought digital PSP games transfer" or would they finally follow through with the failed PSP Go UMD-to-Digital redeem program. I always imagined that failed because Sony didn't want to put that much effort into standardizing that procedure on what amounts to an experimental model and not a successor.

Come on Thursday!

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Policenaut posted:

I'm betting that PSP2 is going the full on digital exclusive route like PSP Go or the PSP2 prototype models seemed to indicate.
That would annoy me a lot. Having to pay twice for all my games would seriously make me think before buying the console.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My only worry is that SRWZ2 will be UMD only, at least at launch, and that is looking increasingly likely. If they are planning to release the PSP2 soon, and it has no UMD reader only, wouldn't one expect that they have some kind of plan to make the PSP's whole library available to it eventually?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

My only worry is that SRWZ2 will be UMD only, at least at launch, and that is looking increasingly likely. If they are planning to release the PSP2 soon, and it has no UMD reader only, wouldn't one expect that they have some kind of plan to make the PSP's whole library available to it eventually?

It'll be a very tricky issue if PSP2 went digital distribution exclusive, because there's all sorts of different legal problems that could get games caught up from getting a re-release. Plus you'd have certain games that companies refuse to digitize like Birth by Sleep which I really don't think people are going to want to drop.

If it doesn't have any UMD reader, Sony better have some sort of plan for supporting the previous format. The original PSP Go idea of doing some sort of UMD to digital redeem program was great but Sony never followed through on it, if they could actually do it on PSP2 it would make a world of difference. Of course that sort of idea has a million different ways to go wrong and it'd take a hell of a lot of planning to make it work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Policenaut posted:

What I'm wondering is just how backwards compatibility is going to be handled if this is the case. Would Sony pull a dick move like "only PSN-bought digital PSP games transfer" or would they finally follow through with the failed PSP Go UMD-to-Digital redeem program. I always imagined that failed because Sony didn't want to put that much effort into standardizing that procedure on what amounts to an experimental model and not a successor.

Come on Thursday!

There's no way there's going to be a UMD to digital converter. Sony, SCEA in particular, has a tendency of promising things they can't back up. It's like they think the things they say in interviews don't carry any obligations. Like the supposed free battery exchange for the Sixaxis once it was revealed the battery was not user replaceable. Never actually happened.

A converter would be too much of a hassle for Sony (and would probably facilitate piracy further, though it's not like it can get much worse). I'm just hoping we'll be getting any sort of digital backwards compatibility. I've recently been buying most of my games from PSN with that hope in mind.

Also, how much is this kitchen sink going to cost?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
They are not going to go DD-only after PSPgo. Not a chance in hell.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

FoneBone posted:

They are not going to go DD-only after PSPgo. Not a chance in hell.

No, but there's no way they're giving this thing a UMD drive either.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Rinkles posted:

No, but there's no way they're giving this thing a UMD drive either.

Agreed. I'm not convinced it'll have BC at all.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I'd hope there would be BC with PSN titles, but I'm not holding out hope for any sort of UMD compatibility.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

I'd hope there would be BC with PSN titles, but I'm not holding out hope for any sort of UMD compatibility.

As much as I'd love to give Sony the benefit of the doubt on pie-in-the-sky ideas, this is as far as I'm dreaming for in terms of PSP2. I'm expecting BC on the digital PSP games and the royal "gently caress you buy it again" if I want a game from a UMD.

Prove me wrong Sony.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

If even half of the rumors are true the PSP2 is going to be preposterously expensive, which worked out really well for the first PSP and oh um the PS3! :eng99:

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

^^ I think it's proven multiple times as well that Sony really doesn't care as long as it keeps its fan base.

I would think Sony would like to prove you wrong, but I'm taking a guess that the problem they run into that is massively in licensing issues Hell. Most developers were probably actually okay with the concept as proven by most developers having no problem releasing all their PSP games on PSN as well. It's those few developers that say "gently caress you" to PSN releases and any lapsed licenses on UMD released games before the PSPGo that cause a LOT of problems.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

All it'll take is a new Wipeout game and PSP2 is as good as sold :(

I think it's the only franchise Sony has me by the balls with though.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

They don't have to do a terrible amount for me as long as they deliver a solid system. My interest in the 3DS is next to nothing. Even with no goggles I'm not sold on 3D yet, and I don't live anywhere big enough to make its little wi-fi functions remotely interesting.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

SixOhSix posted:

Even with no goggles I'm not sold on 3D yet, and I don't live anywhere big enough to make its little wi-fi functions remotely interesting.

Is anyone really interested in 3D and stuff of the like? Theres so much market hype, but I never known anyone that has really been convinced to buy a product for the 3D function. The WiFi functions were decent for me on the normal PSP. [Browser sucked though]. I don't know...3D and those other huge technologies like Move/Kinect haven't swayed anyone i've known, but the adverts treat them like a second coming of the messiah.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Avocadoes posted:

the adverts treat them like a second coming of the messiah.
Marketing is new to you?

I think the 3D is cool and all, but I'm just burned out on Nintendo hah. I'm still annoyed at how the DSi was a complete waste of money to upgrade from the Lite, and then the XL version shows up less than a year later. I'd have used the GBA functionality of the Lite more than what was published on DSiware.

At least the PSP has been pretty consistent through it's lifespan. Nice upgrades (smaller, lighter hardware) or choices (go even smaller and lose the UMD), but a PSP-1000 is generally just as capable as a 3000. (Yes I know it doesn't have RAM for UMD caching, but at least you can still play anything, and still do the whole PSN thing instead if you prefer.)

I'd certainly own a 3D TV if the cost of entry wasn't so drat high, and I hadn't just bought an HDTV LCD a couple years ago.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

As much as I'd love to give Sony the benefit of the doubt on pie-in-the-sky ideas, this is as far as I'm dreaming for in terms of PSP2. I'm expecting BC on the digital PSP games and the royal "gently caress you buy it again" if I want a game from a UMD.

Prove me wrong Sony.
My issue with it is different though, I don't have any UMDs now and don't ever want to buy any UMDs. If I have to buy a UMD in order to play SRWZ2, knowing that that media standard is about to die out, I'm going to be slightly annoyed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

My issue with it is different though, I don't have any UMDs now and don't ever want to buy any UMDs. If I have to buy a UMD in order to play SRWZ2, knowing that that media standard is about to die out, I'm going to be slightly annoyed.

I guess the only thing I can suggest in the face of that decision is to simply not buy Z2 until further information comes out. I'm willing to wager that SCEJ would at least divulge details on backwards compatibility at a conference about the technical capabilities of a new device.

PSP is a big deal, at least in Japan, I could see some digital holdouts deciding to take the plunge if the successor to it turned out to be digital only. I'd like to hope that Bamco releasing those 3 SRW PS1 games on the Japanese PSN a day before this big announcement might be a step in the right direction.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If Sony wants the PSP2 to approach anything remotely approximating mainstream success, it won't be DD only.

Then again, I'd have said that if Sony wanted to approach mainstream success they wouldn't keep stuffing the PSP2 with useless features that will only serve to jack the price up, but hey 3G!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Boy am I looking forward to being able to pay Rogers $30/month just so my PSP2 can use 3g!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm not "up" to the rules of 3G wireless networking but these fees for it, don't they typically apply to phones? That could be why the Nikkei newspaper article mentions that the PSP2's supposed 3G wireless functionality doesn't support phone calls.

Then again, I'm still using this crappy little flip phone thing so I have little to no idea of how 3G actually works. The idea though of no longer being tethered to a Wi-Fi connection to buy games or play infrastructure sounds appealing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
What sort of cases are you guys using for the PSP Go? The two official ones are a little underwhelming. Are there any cellphones similar in size that might have a workable case?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

BGrifter posted:

What sort of cases are you guys using for the PSP Go? The two official ones are a little underwhelming. Are there any cellphones similar in size that might have a workable case?

I use the smallest one of these: http://www.sfbags.com/products/iphone-cases/images/travelcase-set-black-lg.jpg. It's a tight fit for the go's height, but it still works well. I can cram the usb cable in there too. I'd much prefer some kind of slipcase, but this one at least has enough padding I can carelessly throw it in my manpurse without worry.

OFW 6.37 is up. No feature list, just fixing security.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth posted:

I use the smallest iPod travel case from http://www.sfbags.com. It's a tight fit for the go's height, but it still works well. I can cram the usb cable in there too. I'd much prefer some kind of slipcase, but this one at least has enough padding I can carelessly throw it in my manpurse without worry.

OFW 6.37 is up. No feature list, just fixing security.

Damnit, doublepost. Sorry. Link fixed above.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

BGrifter posted:

What's wrong with it? I like the one that lets you still use the PSP inside it. It does a perfectly good job of protecting my Go when I just toss it in my bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The (expected) PSP2 reveal event will be at 3PM this Thursday in Tokyo. That's 1AM EST, or 10PM PST on Wednesday.

• Locked thread