Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If they do this, the HD MGS1 better be Twin Snakes. Despite what others say I think it's basically better in every way. Well, it was weird using a Gamecube controller, I guess that's a con.

I, uh, prefer the cutscenes from MGS, but I dig the voice acting from MGS Twin Snakes. Actually, wait no, Twin Snakes has the tranq gun. Twin Snakes wins.

By the way, if you do download and play MGS1 on the PSN I might recommend playing on easy. It makes the whole thing less frustrating, the few bullshit sections get negated, and there is no reward for playing on higher difficulty other than a score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Anyone have any words of wisdom for someone playing Crysis and Crysis Warhead for the first time? Are there any major differences between the two games?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fontoyn posted:

I just picked up Shadow Hearts: From the New World and Final Fantasy IX

Anything for this? Persona 3 is more of a future plan for me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fontoyn posted:

Final Fantasy IX

I haven't played this in forever, but I seem to remember the game being pretty straightforward. I do recall that you should use the steal skill on basically every single boss you fight (even the very first battle of the game), as you tend to get equipment that you can't yet buy from stores. You'd probably figure this out pretty quick but make sure you get all the skills you can from weapons before switching them out (this will make sense when you play the game)

I'm sure someone else can give you better tips but hey

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If she just bought one a month ago, then it's not. They removed the BC years ago.

Well poo poo. I was looking forward to being able to play some old PS games without having to dig out my PS2.

Anyway, to stop derailing, I started playing Borderlands a little bit. Can my characters eventually use other weapons? I chose the sniper guy, but am I stuck with sniper rifles and pistols for the whole game? Also, is there a particular class I should avoid?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

OilSlick posted:

Well poo poo. I was looking forward to being able to play some old PS games without having to dig out my PS2.

Anyway, to stop derailing, I started playing Borderlands a little bit. Can my characters eventually use other weapons? I chose the sniper guy, but am I stuck with sniper rifles and pistols for the whole game? Also, is there a particular class I should avoid?

Anyone can use anything, but each character is better suited to using certain weapons by merit of having weapon-specific skills. Mordecai, for instance, can improve his ability with revolvers and sniper rifles.

He and Roland are probably the easiest two classes to get the hang of, and Mordecai is probably one of the better ones for solo players. Lilith's abilities take some getting used to. I never used Brick so I can't speak for him.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Brick is awesome if you pump the right skills (the punching poo poo ones) but he very quickly gets behind when it comes to weapon skills, since when you use his special you can't get weapon EXP like with the other classes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

OilSlick posted:

Oh, well in this case the PS3 can still run Playstation 1 games, just not Playstation 2 games.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

OilSlick posted:

Really the only advantage to using those weapons is the (semi-avoidable) class skills and the initial boost in proficiency. My level 21 soldier hasn't used a combat rifle since the starting area and I'm doing just fine. (Yes, I found a Double Anarchy) So don't be too afraid to diversify, you won't really be penalized.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Generally you should just be using the best weapons available to you at any given time, regardless of what class you are. If you're Mordecai and you found an incredibly awesome SMG, use the hell out of it. Are you Brick and have you found a revolver that can pop heads in a single shot? Well time to put down your shotgun and rocket launcher, I guess, it's time to pop heads.

The class skills enhance certain types of weapons, so most likely they'll be the best ones to use, but it's not always going to be the case. And it's usually smart to carry a diverse set regardless because even if you're a sniper, you never know when you'll need to lay down some automatic fire.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 23, 2011

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PS3 WAS 100% backwards compatible from the get go, it wasn't fanboy hype, but eventually Sony removed legacy PS2 stuff from the hardware to save on costs, and switched over to software BC. The emulator had issues that sony didn't feel like fixing, so they just completely axed BC altogether, the 80GB MGS4 bundle that was out a few years ago was the last system with it.

If she just bought one a month ago, then it's not. They removed the BC years ago.

It is actually more complicated than that -- the original consoles had most of the PS2 hardware inside them (but not the original PlayStation chip), then there were some consoles that only had the PS2 GPU, and then their software emulation team realized that the PS3 can't emulate the PS2 GPU in software, so they dumped emulation entirely when they eliminated the PS2 GPU chip.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Riddick is a fun game and all, but what is up with some of these bullshit melee fights? I feel like I am doing something wrong since the computer will constantly block and immediately counter my hits. Then when I try to do the same thing, they block and counter that. That being said, I cheesed my way through Dark Athena, and am now working on beating Butcher Bay. Butcher Bay is better by a mile

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Riddick is a fun game and all, but what is up with some of these bullshit melee fights? I feel like I am doing something wrong since the computer will constantly block and immediately counter my hits. Then when I try to do the same thing, they block and counter that. That being said, I cheesed my way through Dark Athena, and am now working on beating Butcher Bay. Butcher Bay is better by a mile

Get a shiv. gently caress melee'ing them fairly. Screwdriver their necks and make em pay.

When you end up in double max, you'll be put into a section of the game which is actually free-roaming somewhat. Don't progress it unless your certain you've done everything you want as there is no coming back.

Butcher Bay is miles and leagues better than Dark Athena and is also the original title. Dark Athena is pretty much deleted content getting made into a bonus feature.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Footwork! You have to move around a lot. Step in, throw a punch or a combo, duck out, circle, pick away at them. Don't turtle up because they'll pull the block-counter-counter bullshit. They didn't do that in the original, they'd just eat whatever you threw at them. Imagine my surprise when I got killed by loving Rust on my first time through the remake.

Remember that the left stick controls what kind of punch you throw. Moving it left and right while pressing R will throw left-right jab combos. Pushing forward is an uppercut. Etc.

Also, get a shiv. Shivs are the best. And you can counter punches with a stab to the throat.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

Brick is awesome if you pump the right skills (the punching poo poo ones) but he very quickly gets behind when it comes to weapon skills, since when you use his special you can't get weapon EXP like with the other classes.

If you're gonna play Brick, stick with his berserk tree for about the first half of the main game, and when you get about 15-18 levels and a decent rocket launcher switch over to his explosives tree right away. Punching hits diminishing returns really, really fast (especially when you go through a new game+), but rockets are loving outrageous and you hit a point where every time you kill something you start pumping six rockets a click into something, it rules.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallout

Get your repair level up if you need money. As you progress, pick up stuff, repair it, then sell it for a ton of cash. The value of an item rises exponentially with it's condition. Don't waste time making money any other way.

sneak attack criticals multiply your damage to insane amounts, consider sneaking through everything

Get int to 10

New Vegas:

Anti-material Rifle + Steady = immortality

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 23, 2011

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alris posted:

Anyone have any words of wisdom for someone playing Crysis and Crysis Warhead for the first time? Are there any major differences between the two games?

No.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Oh, well in this case the PS3 can still run Playstation 1 games, just not Playstation 2 games.

I would check the official compatibility list before assuming a PS1 game will run on a PS3. I can't find it now, but I found an unofficial list that said Silent Hill would run on a PS3 with an "audio glitch" after firing the pistol. It turned out that glitch was a loud, piercing tone that would persist until you unequipped the pistol entirely. It was exactly the kind of awful tone that you'd normally only hear coming from a fire alarm.

So before you play a game for the first time, check for full backwards compatibility.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Alris posted:

Avoid vehicles. You're far more vulnerable in one than not in one, so unless your forced to get in one, don't bother. They improved them a bit for Warhead, but it's still not worth it or even really that necessary.

I found the game much more fun on Delta difficulty level where the enemies speak Korean rather than English. It also encourages a more stealthy approach to the game which I think is Crysis' strong point. Going loud is incredibly fun, but it doesn't work that often, at least for me. Again, Warhead supports the head on approach a bit more and has some weapons that help with that.

Explore and have fun - it's a solid enough shooter but the best experience is soaking up the atmosphere and fighting like a tough super-soldier in a tricked out suit.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

opaopa13 posted:

I would check the official compatibility list before assuming a PS1 game will run on a PS3. I can't find it now, but I found an unofficial list that said Silent Hill would run on a PS3 with an "audio glitch" after firing the pistol. It turned out that glitch was a loud, piercing tone that would persist until you unequipped the pistol entirely. It was exactly the kind of awful tone that you'd normally only hear coming from a fire alarm.

So before you play a game for the first time, check for full backwards compatibility.

That's not a bug, it's a feature! The alarm gun scares away monsters!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alris posted:

If you fiddle around with the control setting you can unlock an alternative method of enabling suit powers that is really handy. The way it works is that, in addition to the normal method of activation, double-tapping commands automatically activates them for a split second (double-tapping jump makes you do a super strength jump, etc) which makes them way more useful on the fly.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

I'm pretty new to the concept of DLC. Can I download Dead Money for New Vegas even though I'm still relatively early in main game, or do I have to beat it before I can start accessing its new content?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

You can download the DLC anytime (as long as you're on the Xbox) and you can technically play it any time, but you may want to wait until you're 15+ to make it a little easier on yourself.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OilSlick posted:

I'm pretty new to the concept of DLC. Can I download Dead Money for New Vegas even though I'm still relatively early in main game, or do I have to beat it before I can start accessing its new content?

To be a bit more specific, in a lot of games the DLC adds to the main game at any time. In New Vegas (and 3 out of the 4 DLCs for Fallout 3) what it adds is a radio signal that guides you to a location to start the DLC missions. Once you go there you are taken to the brand new DLC area and you cant return to the mojave until you have finished the DLC quest, and in this case once you have returned to the mojave (with your DLC loot if any) you cannot revisit the sierra madre (where dead money takes place).

It doesnt add anything to the rest of the mojave desert, the stuff you find in containers and on enemies in the main game will remain the same with or without the DLC, you wont suddenly find viper gang members wearing DLC armour or anything. So you can download it at any time, but there is no reason to download it until you want to play it, or hit level 30 as it raises the level cap to 35. (Some people have being going through it at fairly mid level, 9-ish, but the game itself warns you not to go in below level 15 I think. I went in levelled in the low-mid 20s I believe, it was still reasonably challenging.)

As an aside, you cannot continue to free roam when you beat NV, completing the final quest (for any faction) ends the game. It warns you when thats about to happen though, so you can make a save to reload and mess about with/free roam/play future DLC with.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Luminaflare posted:

Beyond that there's a rumor going around of it getting a HD trilogy re-release like a lot of other series have been getting.

Aw man. I'm a total MGS whore and this means I'm gonna own two copies of MGS1 (unless it's Twin Snakes), 4(!) copies of MGS2, 3 copies of MGS3, and 1 copy of MGS4.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Anything for Little King's Story? I don't even remember why I rented it, but here it is!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fontoyn posted:

I just picked up Shadow Hearts: From the New World

Haven't played these games in years, but here's what I remember:
-Photograph every single enemy type in the game, IIRC you want to get at least two photographs of each for a sidequest
-Try to use any large, out of place items in the environment for free weapons for one character
-Here's the big one: when you save at the save point before the final boss (it's a different shape than every other save point), leave the final dungeon and explore everywhere for an assload of sidequests/ultimate skills and weapons/secret bosses/character backstories (this applies to every Shadow Hearts game). Sidequests in Shadow Hearts games are generally unique battles and full, unique dungeons so they're well worth doing as opposed to games like Final Fantasy 10 where they're bullshit
-Check back in old city areas every dungeon or two for new sidequests
-Especially check back with the guy who lets you fight arena battles (if you're like many goons you will poo poo a brick when you meet him), not only are the rewards worth it, you can photograph enemies from battles where you don't have the photographer character
-You can change the judgement ring to make it easier, but it penalizes you if you do so, so I would recommend leaving those options at default unless you're really good at it (you can make it extra hard for a huge risk/reward payoff). There's an accessory that makes it move slower, but I found that it just made it harder when I used a character that didn't have it, also you only get two accessory slots per character and you'll eventually get an accessory for each one that powers up their unique ability that you'll probably want to use
-I don't think anything is permanently missable, but I went full-OCD with this game. In some sort of bizarre twist, the Shadow Hearts games are JRPGs that are actually fun to 100%. And if I'm wrong there's a New Game+.

Basically, if you played Shadow Hearts: Covenant, everything is more or less in the exact same format. I also recommend playing all 3 games in order (4 if you include Koudelka on PS1, but I never got around to playing it, and it only ties in like one area of Shadow Hearts), but FtNW has a different protagonist and really starts a new story so you won't miss too much besides a chunk of backstory in the game universe. Shadow Hearts 1 has pretty janky graphics and the combat isn't nearly as deep as in 2 & 3, but it's fun enough, not too hard, and only like 20 hours long.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kruller posted:

Anything for Little King's Story? I don't even remember why I rented it, but here it is!

You rented it because it's a surprisingly awesome game, and you have impeccable taste, that's why. Unfortunately I don't have any specific tips or anything, it's a fairly straightforward game. My biggest tips would be to upgrade your podium as soon as possible, that makes managing your subjects a LOT easier.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I know it's a long shot, but Creatures 2?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Fontoyn posted:

Anything for this? Persona 3 is more of a future plan for me.

For FF9:
- Steal everything from bosses every time, including the very first fight.
- Cycle your party members around to level up fairly evenly. Members will join and leave or split up at times and you don't want to be stuck fighting level 50 baddies with level 20 people.
- Gear teaches your party various bonuses and abilities, it's helpful to take some time to learn something from old or weaker weapons and accessories before equipping an upgrade.
- If you want to learn how tetra master actually works, read a gamefaqs guide. Otherwise just know that the mechanics are based on random numbers, so don't get frustrated.
- Vivi is awesome.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just got GTA IV complete edition for cheap, anything I should know about it? I know that the pigeons are pretty much worthless to shoot.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kruller posted:

You make breeding stock the quickest by parading your horde around the Onii oval. I think you need to make a bridge before that happens.

Fully tax the hell out of your citizens by holding your deploy button on each house until they bounce off it.

Health increasing items get more important with higher difficulty.

Don't ever bother with the expensive class that finds items in the ground.

Always pay for wandering merchant's stuff and wait around at night to hire a suit of armor. Reset if that suit of armor ever dies permanently. I don't know if he does or gets sold by another merchant.

Archers become utter crap over long excursions and boss battles.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Mr E posted:

Just got GTA IV complete edition for cheap, anything I should know about it? I know that the pigeons are pretty much worthless to shoot.

There are websites that can help you keep track of them, but yeah, it's pretty pointless to try.

1. PUT YOUR PHONE ON SLEEP MODE. There. The game is now a thousand times better. This stops your friends from calling you up every 10 minutes to play some mediocre pool minigame. You can also accept an invite and then cancel with no penalty. This is accessed from the options in the phone menu. You may also need to turn it off every now and then to advance the plot.

2. Get Roman's friendship perk. Pretty much grants you instant fast travel by sending you a taxi almost anywhere.

3. If you skip the taxi ride while in a taxi, time does not elapse. This is helpful for the drug dealing missions where you can just taxi to wherever Jacob wants you to go and not lose any time, making Jacob's missions pretty drat easy (He has a good friendship perk too)

4. When you first start taking taxis, don't skip the ride just yet. Chat with the taxi driver. He's loving awesome.

5. At the end of the game, you must choose a mission that starts with either "R" or "D". Pick "R". It gives you an easier mission (in my opinion) and also results in what I think is the better ending. gently caress Kate

6. BEEEEG AMERICAN TEEEETTEEEES

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Mr E posted:

In addition to what has already been said.

-Cover is kinda useless in this game, running around and using hit and run tactics works the best 90% of the time, there are a few situations where cover will save your rear end, but otherwise feel free to go on a shotgun assault.

-Tell the taxi driver to hurry up all the time if you are waiting out a ride.
it leads to the best road-rage ever, even if it might kill you.

-Don't expect old GTA car handling, take some time to get used to it.

-Put the phone on sleep mode, this is important enough to be said again.

-Go drinking with Jacob at least once for some hilarious dialogue, same for Brucie.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Uhhh cover rules in GTA4 and entire missions are built around going from cover to cover.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Mr E posted:

It's been said 3 times now, but for the love of god, put your phone in sleep mode. On the other hand, the people that call you up will give you special perks if you get your relationship with them high enough, so look them up on an FAQ and just do the ones that are good.

Oh, and try to find an empty parking lot or something and try to get a handle (no pun intended) on how the car physics work before you get into the story missions and have to chase poo poo.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

elf help book posted:

Uhhh cover rules in GTA4 and entire missions are built around going from cover to cover.

Agreed.

Also driving is a lot easier on keyboard if you try to handle it like an old cop show.

OilSlick posted:

6. BEEEEG AMERICAN TEEEETTEEEES

This too. Very important advice.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Note that putting your phone in sleep mode halts story progression in some cases.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

pseudorandom name posted:

Note that putting your phone in sleep mode halts story progression in some cases.

If you find yourself without anything to do, story-wise, take your phone out of sleep mode and gently caress around for a few minutes. The first call you get will probably be a story mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yakuza 3 is apparently a cross between Final Fantasy and River City Ransom, wherein men with animal tattoos can light their shoulders on fire, teleport short distances (less than 3 feet), and headbutt each other through walls. Also sometimes they golf.

If this is the total sum of my Yakuza 3 knowledge, am I good to go?