Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Do your research. Beware of 2-year schools. If it feels like you're just a dollar sign to them, you probably are. They'll only care about that fat tuition check and you won't get much out of it. Sounds like you've already had some experience with that so listen to your instincts.

magnificent7 has some good advice: you want to take classes in design fundamentals. Software frequently gets upgraded & industry standards change. You can learn software on your own. If the school has computer labs but no drawing rooms, beware.

Boogaloo Shrimp fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Do your research. Beware of 2-year schools.

Also, if you are planning to transfer or go for masters down the road, many schools that with a 2 year program, it's unlikely that credits you earn in our schools will be transferable to other schools.

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
LOS ANGELES JOB(S)

Hey guys, a company I work for has been having minimal luck with mandy.com and craigslist so I thought I'd try here. If there is a better place to post this on here, let me know. Here is my official blurb:

I'm working with a production company based in Los Angeles, CA that has a major studio deal. Currently we're looking for editors, animators, graphic designers, compositors, etc.. In house software includes Final Cut Pro and Adobe CS5 suite. Would love to look at your reel if interested. If we like your work we will contact you for an interview.

Edit: PM me your reels

Dr Rotcod fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 2, 2010

Nagget
Jan 17, 2003
I just recently found out that I will be out of work on December 22nd and I am making GBS threads my pants about what to do next.

I was approached 2 years ago by a friend who had an idea for a company where kids could raise funds for their school by taking online quizzes. I created some basic marketing materials while I was applying for sales jobs (I am a Marketing Major, Digital Art Minor) A few weeks later he offered me a paid position as the lead creative at the company (I was the first paid employee). I developed the brand, the art style, and the website (with the help from a PHP developer who I interviewed, hired and managed) from scratch. Basically anything that anyone saw or read about the company was my creation. The website in question is *URL REMOVED*

2 years later the company continues to struggle due to severe mismanagement of assets and wasteful spending and I am the first person they are cutting since I created everything they could possibly need from me and would rather pay someone pennies to throw my creations onto a page with some advertising text than pay me my already meager salary.

I am 24 and I have never formally applied for a graphic design position but I would LOVE to stay in this industry since selling insurance just does not appeal to me.

I know employers want to see a portfolio but all I really have from 2 years is a body of work that shows no real depth, just a bunch of cartoons drawn in Illustrator -- am I hosed?.

I want to work for a big firm and surround myself with people who are better and more talented than myself so that I can actually advance my skillset.

I am really completely at a loss for how to
A.) Go about finding work (I live 15 minutes outside of Manhattan so it shouldn't be hard right?)
B.) How I should present my portfolio?

Sorry that this was all over the place but I'm in a bit of a rut and any advice you guys could give me would be hugely helpful.

Nagget fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 1, 2010

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Nagget posted:

Make up a portfolio of fake work supplimented by your real work. This is how most entry level creatives get jobs. It will get you an internship, freelance/contract work or perhaps a jr. position at an OK agency, work your way up from there.

Also, aim your sights on small agencies, the big ones aren't going to want you yet.

Nagget
Jan 17, 2003

Woof! Woof! posted:

Make up a portfolio of fake work supplimented by your real work. This is how most entry level creatives get jobs. It will get you an internship, freelance/contract work or perhaps a jr. position at an OK agency, work your way up from there.

Also, aim your sights on small agencies, the big ones aren't going to want you yet.

At 24, with an exorbitant amount of debt from my college loans an internship that will most likely be unpaid is out of the question for me. I feel extremely discouraged after having wasted 2 years at this company.

How many pieces should I include in my portfolio?

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Nagget posted:

At 24, with an exorbitant amount of debt from my college loans an internship that will most likely be unpaid is out of the question for me. I feel extremely discouraged after having wasted 2 years at this company.

Typically, 10-12 pieces should be good. Start out with a strong piece, then the next few are the average/weaker ones, then end with another strong piece.

The one greatest thing you can do is to be able to detail exactly how you created something, or what parts that you were in charge. Go over each piece that you want to include and write down everything you can recall about the project, since you never know what skills that are being stressed until they start commenting on your book.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Nagget posted:

Getting a salary job at an agency for someone who has 0 agency experience and very limited creative experience is going to be rough.

My advice, if you're not willing to consider the ample amount of paid internships that are out there, is to pursue freelance projects.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone know how many pages a design portfolio should consist of?
I have a degree in automotive design and will be looking for any product design related jobs. 10 pages sound about right?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

A5H posted:

Does anyone know how many pages a design portfolio should consist of?
I have a degree in automotive design and will be looking for any product design related jobs. 10 pages sound about right?

8-12 is pretty average. 10 is the standard.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

The Mobile Sponge posted:

Thanks Beat, I was hoping I'd hear from you

I come from a much more illustrative background so I think I'll start there and see were it goes, but the reason I can see myself working in several kinds of art industries if because I am very motivated, I go to school full time, work between 20 and 30 hours a week, and still make art every day

I've always been told working your rear end off will pay off in some way, but it's really great hearing the real world side from actual artists. Also I'd love to study up on artists and how they work for a living, were would be a good place to start? Besides just reading through artists blog, is there a better way to find that kind of info?

The career options for an artist are pretty limited. You can get your MFA and, if you're lucky, well-networked, and good, teach at a college. You can get a post-undergrad teaching certificate and teach highschool also. You can also find positions within the gallery or art institution world, though this requires more arts administrative skills that you probably won't get in undergrad. Any of these jobs will have pretty awful pay, however, and possibly drain all your creative energy as well.

You can make money from your work, but in that case you'll either be the very very rare artist who has hooked up with a good curator, dealer, critic, and a good space early on; or you'll be making your money by painting bullshit pet portraits and commissions. If you go for the latter choice, you won't exist to 99% of curators and will not have an "art career" as most artists understand it.

Most artists have a second career to pay for their first. Unfortunately most of these careers are ruinous poo poo, especially the creative careers like design; if you're spending all your creative energy at work, your studio practice will fall off within weeks and never come back. Instead, I would recommend that anyone who wants to be an artist start working on a profitable trade specialization like plumbing, construction, carpentry, etc immediately after college. Really! Something minimally-creative with flexible hours will let you afford a studio and materials without being broke as poo poo. If after a few years it turns out no one likes your art, at least you're installing HVAC for $80k/year instead of managing a Starbucks and living with three room-mates.

No matter what you do, you'll need to balance the time you spend in your studio with time you spend looking at other art, connecting with other artists, and knowing whatever art community you're in. Have patience, build a slow strong network, invite people over for studio visits, go to openings, go to the bar afterwards, basically always show up and see what happens. An art career is built on the support of curators, collectors, gallery owners, and critics/writers, all of whom are people.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 14, 2010

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
Anyone got any examples of CVs (not resumes) that they think are good?

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Looking for advice on which agencies are worth checking out in Seattle. Considering a shift from MPLS to the coast - specifically Seattle.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Beat. posted:

For what its worth, here's mine: http://lts.cr/FnH

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Beat. posted:

For what job? CVs vary a lot depending on the industry and the job role.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

marshmallard posted:

For what job? CVs vary a lot depending on the industry and the job role.

This might be an Atlantic mix-up thing: I know in Europe the term CV covers all kinds of careers, but in America, it mostly refers specifically to artists's rap sheet of awards, exhibitions, education, etc. This is us using your words to be fancy. :kiddo:

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Mein Eyes! posted:

This might be an Atlantic mix-up thing: I know in Europe the term CV covers all kinds of careers, but in America, it mostly refers specifically to artists's rap sheet of awards, exhibitions, education, etc. This is us using your words to be fancy. :kiddo:

Ohhh OK. Never mind then. I thought the poster was just saying they wanted specifically UK CVs to look at and not American ones.

PS: Your painting is still hanging proudly in my mother-in-law's living room :)

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I'm looking for a contractor web developer for a large upcoming project. You must be a master of HTML/CSS/JS, be comfortable working with the Facebook, Google, Twitter, and potentially Four Square API, and love creating custom content management systems. Experience working on bigger clients is a bonus.

I'd need you for 40 hours a week, not too sure of the duration yet (I'm guessing a month).

If you're interested, shoot me an email at bryan at mrare.ca

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
I've had some bad luck in the past as far as jobs are concerned. My first job was at a very small ad agency, 8 people worked there, and I was 1 of 2 designers. Well the economy really went to poo poo and there wasn't a lot of work coming in and they had to let me go. It sucked, but I understood and I moved on.

My second job was in house production/design for a major craft store. I didn't want to do production, but I thought it would be a good thing for me so I could really get some good practice at learning the programs and give me more experience. I was there for 10 months before I was let go, my team leader had been telling our office manager a lot of things that were completely untrue about me and my work habbits and the office manager decided to never talk to me about anything that was happening until the day I was let go. That was a nice good morning.

Now here I am with some major decisions to make. I live in Oklahoma which isn't exactly a hotbed of graphic design. Because of that, most of the agencies and design studios here are extremely small, anywhere from 8-20 people and since they are small, they don't hire too often. That isn't good news for me.

One of my friends works for Wieden+Kennedy in Portland, OR and is trying to find out some info about hirings they are about to start. I've also been looking at other places in Dallas, Colorado, and even here in Oklahoma. I've also strongly been considering applying at the VCU Brandcenter for grad school in Art Direction.

I'm looking for advice on what veterans of the industry would think the smart decision would be in the world today. I appreciate anything anybody has to offer and sorry for posting so many :words:.

Long story short: I got hosed over at my last job, there are few to no opportunities where I live. I'm looking elsewhere, but also thinking about going to grad school.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I'm no veteran, but I'm a graphic design student in Oklahoma, and (obviously) a lot of emphasis is beaten into us about internships/jobs. Even internships are a bit hard to come by, although if you were looking to be unpaid it'd be easy to find one. I think your best chance to look outside the state if you want to advance your career, especially considering Oklahoma really is not the best place for any art or design career. I'd say look pretty much anywhere else you can; the opportunities are much better out-of-state. Since I'm just an undergrad myself, I can't say anything about grad school, though. Good luck!

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

redjenova posted:

I'm no veteran, but I'm a graphic design student in Oklahoma, and (obviously) a lot of emphasis is beaten into us about internships/jobs. Even internships are a bit hard to come by, although if you were looking to be unpaid it'd be easy to find one. I think your best chance to look outside the state if you want to advance your career, especially considering Oklahoma really is not the best place for any art or design career. I'd say look pretty much anywhere else you can; the opportunities are much better out-of-state. Since I'm just an undergrad myself, I can't say anything about grad school, though. Good luck!

There are a few really stand out places here, but they are so small they hardly ever hire. I've been looking primarily out of state, and I think that really is the best bet to find a good job.

Where are you going to school?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm just wondering why would you even stay in Oklahoma. I'm going crazy in Kentucky, but at least there are things like lakes and forests to play in.

Prylex3
Apr 22, 2003

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I've also been looking at other places in Dallas, Colorado, and even here in Oklahoma.

What about Austin or Houston? Those are not terribly far away. When I hear about various cities having great creative and art environments, those seem to be the two names that come up in Texas.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm just wondering why would you even stay in Oklahoma. I'm going crazy in Kentucky, but at least there are things like lakes and forests to play in.

I just like Oklahoma, I was born here and there are a few decent small places, but as I'm growing to see there's not much here.

Prylex3 posted:

What about Austin or Houston? Those are not terribly far away. When I hear about various cities having great creative and art environments, those seem to be the two names that come up in Texas.

I've thought about Austin, a girl from my school moved there and hasn't found anything so I've been a little hesitant to try there.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm new to Los Angeles and trying to establish myself as a freelance graphic designer, you guys have any advice for finding work out here?

viragosa
Sep 10, 2006

my brain thinks bomb-like
Should I take an unpaid internship at an agency?

Some back info: I've done several internships, one high-profile for the city in which I live, and I have also had several freelance clients in addition to part-time design jobs. I really wasn't thinking about doing any more unpaid internships, but I hear a lot of talk about agencies and how they're great experience. I am in my senior year at BU and I'm active with AIGA, president of the BU chapter, and relatively well-networked, with several awards.

It would be difficult for me to take this internship and support myself with only freelance clients, as my BU day job is a very steady income. I'd have to drop that in order to take this up, but people know about the agency around here...but they aren't listed on Glassdoor.com.

Is an agency something I should vie for? Is it comparable to a design firm or studio?

EDIT: Removed a lot of unnecessary things despite it being quoted below me. :shobon:

My awards so far:
New Voices, Unique Visions: AIGA Boston Presents The Best of the Student Design Community Work selected in “Publication,” 2011
AIGA Member Gallery: Four pieces “Featured” in Fall 2010
Nat’l Student Television Award for Excellence Honorable Mention, 2007 & 2008
Scholastic Art Portfolio Award / Gold Key 2007
EmpowerPeace “PSA for Peace” 2007 Winner

Would taking this internship be a fantastic experience, and would it complement my résumé?

viragosa fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 19, 2011

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

viragosa posted:

Should I take an unpaid internship at an agency?

Some back info: I've done several internships, one high-profile for the city in which I live, and I have also had several freelance clients in addition to part-time design jobs. I really wasn't thinking about doing any more unpaid internships, but I hear a lot of talk about agencies and how they're great experience. I am in my senior year at BU and I'm active with AIGA, president of the BU chapter, and relatively well-networked, with several awards.

It would be difficult for me to take this internship and support myself with only freelance clients, as my BU day job is a very steady income. I'd have to drop that in order to take this up, but people know about the agency around here...but they aren't listed on Glassdoor.com.

Is an agency something I should vie for? Is it comparable to a design firm or studio?

Further info:

My experience, either as an unpaid intern, paid intern, or as a part-time or full-time (summer) employee:
Boston University Design Center
The Improper Bostonian
Senior Citizen Publishing
StyleFixx Girls’ Night Out
Custom Copper & Slate
Amnesty Int’l Free to Rock Benefit

Freelance (print media only):
EvolutionaryIT
Harvard University Credit Union

My education:
Boston University, bunch of Dean's list stuff
President of AIGA Boston University Student Group, Member of MacBU, AdClub, NSAC, Sinai Scholars Society

My awards so far:
New Voices, Unique Visions: AIGA Boston Presents The Best of the Student Design Community Work selected in “Publication,” 2011
AIGA Member Gallery: Four pieces “Featured” in Fall 2010
Nat’l Student Television Award for Excellence Honorable Mention, 2007 & 2008
Scholastic Art Portfolio Award / Gold Key 2007
EmpowerPeace “PSA for Peace” 2007 Winner

Would taking this internship be a fantastic experience, and would it complement my résumé?

How's your book? (other than awards, who gives a poo poo about your resume)

viragosa
Sep 10, 2006

my brain thinks bomb-like

Woof! Woof! posted:

How's your book? (other than awards, who gives a poo poo about your resume)

I really don't want to get torn up, as I'm not immediately looking for a critique (instead, an answer), but my book is at https://www.erikadecker.com and my Behance with more recent work is https://www.be.net/erikadecker. I do a lot of editorial work, but I'd like to broaden the spectrum of what I can do.

I've heard conflicting views about the worthiness of a résumé, specifically from professors and a few of my previous employers. I'll have to keep asking around.

EDIT: and to clarify, I'm being offered the internship, not deciding whether or not to apply for one.

double edit: But it's unpaid, and four days a week for three months. But I'll actually be working under someone.

viragosa fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 19, 2011

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

viragosa posted:

I really don't want to get torn up, as I'm not immediately looking for a critique (instead, an answer), but my book is at https://www.erikadecker.com and my Behance with more recent work is https://www.be.net/erikadecker. I do a lot of editorial work, but I'd like to broaden the spectrum of what I can do.

I've heard conflicting views about the worthiness of a résumé, specifically from professors and a few of my previous employers. I'll have to keep asking around.

EDIT: and to clarify, I'm being offered the internship, not deciding whether or not to apply for one.

double edit: But it's unpaid, and four days a week for three months. But I'll actually be working under someone.

Do you want to work there? If you want to work there, this internship would be a really good way to get your foot in the door for a job when it's finished.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

viragosa posted:

Will this internship provide you with work good enough to be worth doing for free?

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Someone applied today with their resume hidden in a pizza they delivered us.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Woof! Woof! posted:

Someone applied today with their resume hidden in a pizza they delivered us.

That's pretty awesome, and the amount of text on that resume is equally as great.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

That's pretty awesome, and the amount of text on that resume is equally as great.

I hate to be a hater but there was a swedish duo that made an entire website where you could make and order a pizza and have it delivered to the agency for free so long as you let them have lunch with you.

Unfortunately you don't get points for taking a great idea half as far.

Prylex3
Apr 22, 2003

Woof! Woof! posted:

Unfortunately you don't get points for taking a great idea half as far.

I remember that site. Alternatively, there is the home-baked route. Such as these Pantone Cookies, if you are a print designer.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

There are a few really stand out places here, but they are so small they hardly ever hire. I've been looking primarily out of state, and I think that really is the best bet to find a good job.

Where are you going to school?

Whoops, missed this. I'm at OU and really loving it. Definitely looking to get out of the state come graduation though!

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

redjenova posted:

Whoops, missed this. I'm at OU and really loving it. Definitely looking to get out of the state come graduation though!

Oh awesome, I went to OU as well. It's a fun time, enjoy it!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
gently caress OU I will never step foot in Athens again. However, if you manage to stay out of trouble, I suppose enjoy the poo poo out of it. While it lasts anyway.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

RizieN posted:

gently caress OU I will never step foot in Athens again. However, if you manage to stay out of trouble, I suppose enjoy the poo poo out of it. While it lasts anyway.

I think we're talking about two different OU's. Ours is the University of Oklahoma.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Oh, well OU in Athens is Ohio University, not Ohio State though. I've no doubt yours is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I love our OU :3: I was aiming to go to an out of state art school but definitely couldn't afford it. I'm just really happy the program here turned out to be so awesome (to me anyway). I couldn't be happier where I am right now! But unfortunately not so much planning on sticking around in-state.