Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Didn't the person who invented lethal injection design it so there was a at least a minimum level of suffering? I swear someone mentioned that earlier in this thread.

Edited for clarity

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

BattleMaster posted:

Didn't the person who invented lethal injection design it so there was a minimum level of suffering? I swear someone mentioned that earlier in this thread.

That may have been the idea, but as far as I know there's good evidence that it actually causes a lot of pain, either routinely or in cases where it doesn't work properly.

Also, Pentobarbital (used in pet euthanasia) is used for physician assisted suicide, so the idea of it being an "animal drug" and thus unsuited to human use is silly.

There was actually a TV documentary in the UK starring of all people Michael Portillo (a conservative politician) about the different methods of human execution, and found faults with ALL currently approved methods. I think the show concluded that the most humane method was Nitrogen hypoxia, where you breath pure nitrogen and die from lack of oxygen. Because the feeling of suffocation is caused by an excess of CO2 and not lack of oxygen, the subject does not become short of breath or panicked, but instead a feeling akin to drunkenness is followed swiftly by unconsciousness.

Again, I'm dead set 100% against the death penalty, but at the very least they could use a scientifically proven painless method.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I worded it poorly. I meant that the inventor designed it specifically so that prisoners suffered. Other methods he explored were deemed too humane.

Theos
Oct 18, 2002

by angerbot

HBKevin posted:

However, I'm a Christian

I knew this before I got to the post when you actually said it.

Christian morality hinges on free will existing. Prison is of course going to be strongly supported by this belief, that through "self-determination" criminals became such.

What do you say to someone who does not believe in free will and finds it to be an incredibly weakly supported justification for torture/imprisonment/etc?

There is no evidence that such a thing as "free-will" even exists, especially in the way in which you employ the term, self-determination.

I think you and every other person who believes in free will and thus imprisonment simply has not met that impetus which causes man to stray from "morality". You egotistically believe you have resisted the force through your courage, strength, faith or whatever other nonsense your ego feeds on. I would say this egotism is the main reason free will is believed in at all, followed secondarily by the instinctual (animal) appeal of the belief that you can/should punish people for wronging you.

In reality, you are privileged by good circumstance.

The part that I struggle with is how much I want to hate your type for subjecting anyone to retaliatory psychological torture, when by my own logic I must forgive you for that too. I don't have the luxury of choosing which souls to forgive and which to punish into repentance. I have to forgive without restraint or limitation, because there is a reason for everything, even things that are hard to understand, such as what makes one man a saint and another a criminal.

I guess my, admittedly wrongful, hatred stems from wanting to blame those who have more power, for the retaliations, as well as the crimes. I see the crimes as going unprevented, when they could have been prevented, but because of status quo maintenance and this 'personal responsibility/morality mindset' were not. Throughout the centuries, what need have we had to find the underlying causes for a persons straying from morality, when we can just invent the notion of "self-determination", and justify the erasure (usually in some horrific manner) of that person from existence.

It may actually be the case that the bulk of the responsibility is on the powerful and privileged, but I should not hate them for failing to see their role and what needs to be done, I have taken a few easy-ways-out in my life too. They certainly have their ability to appeal.

When you give up this idea that another person can be blameworthy, you are naturally going to foster more peace.

How many murders were caused because a killer believed the person he killed, through self-determination, harmed them in some way?

How many punishments have been exacted because the judge/jury/society believed that person, through self-determination, harmed them?

How can you kill a person when you know it was misfortune and/or misunderstanding that led them to harm you?

How can you punish people to the degree our prisons punish, when you know that, though they may truly have been mistaken or misled in some way, they didn't personally "choose" to do you harm?

Free will is a dangerous and harmful idea. The world would be better off without it. If it does prove to be unshakable from Christianity and their sense of morality, I'm afraid that religion must go with it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fatkraken posted:

The drugs designed for animals probably cause less pain than the current cocktail*

(*I'm absolutely 100% against the death penalty, but given that the US has it, they could at the very least use the most humane method possible, such as a lethal overdose of general anaesthetic or inert gas suffocation. There are dozens of methods of killing someone that are essentially KNOWN to be painless because they render the subject fully unconscious very rapidly before any lethal action occurs. Many of them can be administered non lethally without pain to cause unconsciousness. I still have no idea why the lethal injection "sedates and paralyses" rather than renders fully unconscious)
This method means that the body can't move for any reason from pain to natural reactions. It looks painless and humane.
Which is far more important to certain death penalty proponents than actually being painless.
By making this as clinical as possible, we make it seem just liek a medical procedure and we dehumanize the whole process.
If instead of lethal injection, we beheaded people we might be reminded that we're killing a human being.

Holy Shit
Aug 21, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Theos posted:

I knew this before I got to the post when you actually said it.

Christian morality hinges on free will existing. Prison is of course going to be strongly supported by this belief, that through "self-determination" criminals became such.

What do you say to someone who does not believe in free will and finds it to be an incredibly weakly supported justification for torture/imprisonment/etc?

There is no evidence that such a thing as "free-will" even exists, especially in the way in which you employ the term, self-determination.

I think you and every other person who believes in free will and thus imprisonment simply has not met that impetus which causes man to stray from "morality". You egotistically believe you have resisted the force through your courage, strength, faith or whatever other nonsense your ego feeds on. I would say this egotism is the main reason free will is believed in at all, followed secondarily by the instinctual (animal) appeal of the belief that you can/should punish people for wronging you.

In reality, you are privileged by good circumstance.

The part that I struggle with is how much I want to hate your type for subjecting anyone to retaliatory psychological torture, when by my own logic I must forgive you for that too. I don't have the luxury of choosing which souls to forgive and which to punish into repentance. I have to forgive without restraint or limitation, because there is a reason for everything, even things that are hard to understand, such as what makes one man a saint and another a criminal.

I guess my, admittedly wrongful, hatred stems from wanting to blame those who have more power, for the retaliations, as well as the crimes. I see the crimes as going unprevented, when they could have been prevented, but because of status quo maintenance and this 'personal responsibility/morality mindset' were not. Throughout the centuries, what need have we had to find the underlying causes for a persons straying from morality, when we can just invent the notion of "self-determination", and justify the erasure (usually in some horrific manner) of that person from existence.

It may actually be the case that the bulk of the responsibility is on the powerful and privileged, but I should not hate them for failing to see their role and what needs to be done, I have taken a few easy-ways-out in my life too. They certainly have their ability to appeal.

When you give up this idea that another person can be blameworthy, you are naturally going to foster more peace.

How many murders were caused because a killer believed the person he killed, through self-determination, harmed them in some way?

How many punishments have been exacted because the judge/jury/society believed that person, through self-determination, harmed them?

How can you kill a person when you know it was misfortune and/or misunderstanding that led them to harm you?

How can you punish people to the degree our prisons punish, when you know that, though they may truly have been mistaken or misled in some way, they didn't personally "choose" to do you harm?

Free will is a dangerous and harmful idea. The world would be better off without it. If it does prove to be unshakable from Christianity and their sense of morality, I'm afraid that religion must go with it.

Here's a couple videos with neuroscientist David Eagleman talking on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EREriwV71mA

This one over mostly the same stuff, but this is shorter and in an interview setting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSQY7zHk5y8

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Or you can believe in free will and still think our criminal justice system and prison system is way too harsh and intolerably cruel anyway. Just because we don't have self-determination doesn't mean we don't have any choice whatsoever.

Determinists state their case a little too strongly for my tastes.

Holy Shit
Aug 21, 2007

by Fistgrrl

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Or you can believe in free will and still think our criminal justice system and prison system is way too harsh and intolerably cruel anyway. Just because we don't have self-determination doesn't mean we don't have any choice whatsoever.

Yeah, whether or not free will actually exists is pretty irrelevant because we do know for certain that biology and environmental factors play at least a significant role in decision making. That alone is enough reason to favor a rehabilitative system.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Holy poo poo posted:

Yeah, whether or not free will actually exists is pretty irrelevant because we do know for certain that biology and environmental factors play at least a significant role in decision making. That alone is enough reason to favor a rehabilitative system.
I'm in favor of rehabilitation, but has a rehabilitative prison system actually worked anywhere in the world? (Honest question)
I think a rehabilitative justice system works, but I'd see that as one that sues prison as a last resort, with a series of less consequences like probation, jail terms, in and out patient programs and more before prison actually kicks in.
Prison used to be where you'd go after a long period of attempts at setting you straight. Now we'll send you to prison for being a low level crack dealer.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

nm posted:

I'm in favor of rehabilitation, but has a rehabilitative prison system actually worked anywhere in the world? (Honest question)

Most of the Western World has a lower recidivism rate than us. I think Norway, for example, had something like half of ours and most European countries had something similar. I don't have the numbers but they're somewhere in this thread. The primary difference between us and most of those countries is that our justice system presumes punishment to be justice, and thus more to be more just.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

nm posted:

I think a rehabilitative justice system works, but I'd see that as one that sues prison as a last resort, with a series of less consequences like probation, jail terms, in and out patient programs and more before prison actually kicks in.
Prison used to be where you'd go after a long period of attempts at setting you straight. Now we'll send you to prison for being a low level crack dealer.

Nearly all of Nothern Europe, huge swathes of western Europe.

Theos
Oct 18, 2002

by angerbot

What about evolutionists?

It's just scientific method, the theory with more evidence wins out until it is overturned by a better theory.

A nondeterministic universe in which we experience free will is going to require a lot of evidence that I have never seen. It is just such an extraordinary claim, especially when you pair those two ideas, nondeterminism and free will. One is rooted in quantum physics and the other in highly advanced neuroscience.

That gets to why I state my case so strongly, especially in the context of a thread on criminal justice and prison. If we have a theory that could throw doubt into every conviction ever uttered, we HAVE to pay attention to that. Otherwise, our entire sense of morality and who we are as a "just" people is just empty.

Until there is enough evidence to support free-will as a scientific theory, it can not be the basis for our morality or judicial system. The links may prove to be there, between quantum physics' nondeterministic results and neuroscience, but they are not established enough to form the basis of our entire system of morality.

If the issue wasn't so crucial to who we are and who I believe we want to be, a society that is at the very least, fair, I wouldn't state the case so strongly.

Frankly though, I don't care if you think I'm coming on too strong, or if anyone buys into that underhanded attempt to discredit me by saying I came on too strong.

Your belief was challenged and the best you can do is say I state my case too strongly?

I'm sorry, but if I was facing any one of the fates of the prisoners in this thread, I would be praying that someone stated this case with strength.

Free will is not established as a scientific theory and peoples lives are in the balance. If that's too strong for you...who gives a poo poo about your "feelings".

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TGLT posted:

Most of the Western World has a lower recidivism rate than us. I think Norway, for example, had something like half of ours and most European countries had something similar. I don't have the numbers but they're somewhere in this thread. The primary difference between us and most of those countries is that our justice system presumes punishment to be justice, and thus more to be more just.
I know they have a lower recidivism rate but is that actually due to something in the prison system or other factors like actually having a social safety net when they get out?

Anyone know how or if parole works in these systems? Because recidivism numbers can be jacked up by returns to prison while on parole for stupid violations like a first DUI or failing a drug test for THC.

I guess this matters to me because if we can't really have a rehabilitative prison system, we should stop sending so many people to prison and work on pre-prison diversion programs like probation, use of social workers, short jail sentences, drug counselling, and even programs like Delancy Street.

I'd also be curious about what pre-prison process they have in places like Norway. I suspect you could reduce recidivism rates simply by delaying prison so that released prisoners are older (generally above about 35 even "career criminals" cease to be very criminal).

nm fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 24, 2011

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Theos posted:

Frankly though, I don't care if you think I'm coming on too strong, or if anyone buys into that underhanded attempt to discredit me by saying I came on too strong.

Your belief was challenged and the best you can do is say I state my case too strongly?

I'm sorry, but if I was facing any one of the fates of the prisoners in this thread, I would be praying that someone stated this case with strength.

Free will is not established as a scientific theory and peoples lives are in the balance. If that's too strong for you...who gives a poo poo about your "feelings".

I'm not trying to argue with you. It's not a game where I'm trying to win and beat you. I just said I wasn't convinced. There's no reason to be offended. I didn't show up to the thread with a strong opinion on free will and a ton of research to back up my beliefs primarily because it's the prison thread. I thought I'd just say "hey, you can also believe in free will and still think things are really lovely in prison and those people should be treated with compassion and whether free will exists or not has nothing to do with whether people should be treated compassionately." I would agree biological and environmental factors as well as neuroscience mean that we don't have complete autonomy and self-determination but I just haven't been sold that there means there is no choice, anywhere, about anything. That's what I meant when I said "determinists state their case a little too strongly."

But seriously, look at your post. It's half you talking about how sorry you feel for Christians and half assertions on how dangerous the idea of free will is. There's no argument, there's no information on neuroscience or evolution or quantum mechanics. You didn't challenge my beliefs whatsoever, you disagreed with them and then threw a fit when that somehow didn't convince me you were right. Give me some information and I'll read it dude, I'm not an unreasonable guy.

Theos
Oct 18, 2002

by angerbot

Holy poo poo posted:

But that is exactly what I'm saying, and is exactly why free will is relevant. There is more evidence that biology and environmental factors play a significant role. The other option is incomprehensible as a valid scientific theory, it's a loosely defined position that inevitably leads one down a triple rabbit-hole of quantum-physics, neuroscience and the idea of a "self".

I get that we might someday know through extensive research in those three areas that we do have free will. All I'm saying, indeed demanding strongly, is that you do the research THEN form the judicial/moral system, instead of the reverse, which is our current situation. What are we going to do if the research takes 20 years and goes nowhere? Hindsight is going to be a real bitch then.

Science's very formulation is to prevent things like this. You don't accept a result, then try your damndest to dig deeper and deeper into three of the most complex fields of study in order to justify it.

Theos
Oct 18, 2002

by angerbot

But seriously, look at your post. It's half you talking about how sorry you feel for Christians and half assertions on how dangerous the idea of free will is. There's no argument, there's no information on neuroscience or evolution or quantum mechanics. You didn't challenge my beliefs whatsoever, you disagreed with them and then threw a fit when that somehow didn't convince me you were right. Give me some information and I'll read it dude, I'm not an unreasonable guy.

I know, and you at least have the decency to recognize a problem in our judicial/prison system.

That you think your beliefs weren't challenged is because how you perceive the scientific paradigms that are competing.

It also has to do with the way in which science functions.

it goes, evidence then theory

it does not go, theory then dig forever at some of the greatest mysteries science has ever encountered looking for proof, while maintaining that the theory is correct.

It's a weird issue with this particular problem, the default position can vary from person to person because of how innate the feeling that we do make choices seems.

I would say the default position should be the one that requires less extraordinary proof, ie. rigorous investigations into QM, philosophy of mind/self, and neuroscience.

It's like when atheists say the burden of proof is on the theist. The theist has to prove some really extraordinary claims, the atheist does not have to provide scholarly articles showing why miracles don't happen.

Behaviors being influenced (possibly entirely, possibly only enough to remove ultimate moral responsibility from the individual) by the things that happened before them, is not an extraordinary claim, at all.

The problem with you asking me for information, is that we have to come to some kind of consensus about the present state of our knowledge in behavioral studies, neuroscientific studies, philosophy of mind, etc. Then we have to agree on how far we can take those studies in our formulation of a theory. What is the limit of our current evidence in the formulation of the theory, in other words?

Believing in free will is jumping a few steps further than the current scientific limits to our understanding of the problem. That next portion of the bridge we are building is up to the person making the more extraordinary claim to substantiate. I see a lot of attempts to substantiate it, but very little admission that it's just not there yet.

I know it may seem like a huge derail that I've brought up the issue of free will, but in my mind it is central to the issue of prison and prison reform and what must change and why we should change it. I am honestly trying to contribute to a discussion on what it is going to take to convince the general population that there is even something wrong with what is going on and why that is so difficult.

Theos fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 24, 2011

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BattleMaster posted:

I worded it poorly. I meant that the inventor designed it specifically so that prisoners suffered. Other methods he explored were deemed too humane.

Nope, totally wrong.

Lethal injection was thought up by Bill Wiseman, a young Oklahoma legislator who voted what his constituents wanted rather than his conscience; in favor of reinstating the death penalty after Furman. He then went about trying to make the death penalty as humane as possible. He came to regret both his vote and his 'invention.'

His story is both interesting and compelling:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A42135-2003Dec6&notFound=true

the article posted:

William Wiseman Jr. sits on a worn cottage sofa as rain pelts his reflection on the sliding glass door behind him. "I can't think of any rationale for destroying life," he says the day after Thanksgiving at his family cabin in the Blue Ridge foothills near Harrisonburg, "but I thought if we're going to kill someone on purpose, we should do it gently."

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Theos posted:

It's a weird issue with this particular problem, the default position can vary from person to person because of how innate the feeling that we do make choices seems.

Yeah this really seems like a "burden" issue to me, I get how the scientific method works. Which claim is more "extraordinary" seems pretty drat subjective as well.

Theos posted:

Behaviors being influenced (possibly entirely, possibly only enough to remove ultimate moral responsibility from the individual) by the things that happened before them, is not an extraordinary claim, at all.

See, "entirely" is a pretty extraordinary claim in my eyes. That's what I meant when I say "determinists state it too strongly." I don't think we're there yet. But I have little knowledge on the scientific literature so I might be totally wrong.

Theos
Oct 18, 2002

by angerbot

Yeah this really seems like a "burden" issue to me, I get how the scientific method works. Which claim is more "extraordinary" seems pretty drat subjective as well.

See, "entirely" is a pretty extraordinary claim in my eyes. That's what I meant when I say "determinists state it too strongly." I don't think we're there yet. But I have little knowledge on the scientific literature so I might be totally wrong.

Yeah, perhaps the difference in "extraordinariness" is not as great as I imagine it to be, but I think my position is safer because nondeterminism itself is a very new idea and a very weird one at that. I also perceive what must be a massive difficulty in substantiating a link between neuroscience and the Copenhagen interpretation of QM, where most people get the idea of nondeterminism, just from our technological limitations on examining either one. Also, even once such a link is substantiated, if it can be, it would have to say what role the "self" plays in the process. That is, if we want to base our morality off of it.

I guess that is an important lesson for me, I could have argued for the importance of closer examination of the issue on a scientific level, more effectively, without insisting that determinism was the hard-boiled truth.

I have more "faith" in how important it is that the real practical issue be examined, than in my belief that determinism is the truth. This makes it seem like I'm vehemently insisting on correctness when in reality what I am trying to do is vehemently insist on the admission that more thought is required because errors may have been made. There is also a time constraint involved, because the fates of human beings are being decided, so rigorous scientific investigations which may settle the issue, could come too late for some.

Theos fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 24, 2011

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
GA: Seven prison guards suspended after allegations of retaliatory beatings following strike

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Bottom line: our prisons are predicated on torture. The public response has been apathetic because of a Christian wet-dream of Eternal Damnation and the misguided ideal that torment is good for the soul. The simple fact is, we can save money and reduce recidivism if we didn't systematically indoctrinate prisoners into a life of physical and emotional abuse.

As seen in Harlow's experiments on rhesus monkeys and other trials like Zimbardo's Stanford prison experiment, there is proof that the current system of incarceration, coupled with brutal conditions, are having a negative effect on society as a whole. Systematic torture leaves any ex-con with severe social, physical, and emotional problems, leading to a higher recidivism rate (often for dramatically elevated crimes; druggies go in, gang-bangers come out).

Meanwhile there are serious end-of-life implications of Life sentences. There are numerous reports in this very thread about withholding treatment, especially heinous when guard misconduct result in the need for emergency medical intervention...and it isn't given. Inmates have lain, bleeding, on concrete floors overnight, for gently caress's sake.

And finally, there's the whole "make the criminal pay" for everything from his involuntary exile to any legal fees associated with their defense...you know, the fees that are Constitutionally waived if they cannot afford them. Convicts have to pay for everything from "public" drug treatment to legal aid fees, even their parole officers. There is a growing under-class of people who cannot earn enough to cover these fees, instead being sucked back into prison where they are a number and a pay check for private companies.

Anyone, including our gracious Christian guest, HBKevin, arguing that harsh conditions are necessary for public protection are deluding themselves and accepting the wholesale dehumanizing of a significant portion of American society. These people will be cared for their entire lives, mostly as a result of their own lives before incarceration, but 100% harmed by their time in prison, as well. Whatever problems they had before, will be nothing after years, or even decades, living in our prisons. No person will return from incarceration able to respond appropriately to societal demands.

What it really comes down to, again, is this Christian ideal of "hard time". "Hard time" is neither a deterrent nor a rehabilitation tool. Sanctioned torture includes: isolation chambers, 0 human contact, sleep depredation, and all the wider tactics used against criminals (like mandatory minimums, youths as adults, "social crime" laws, and burdensome fees). We've seen evidence for each one of these in this thread, and more on top of that.

It isn't working. It might help your Christian brethren sleep at night, jizzing into their sheets about how the sinners are getting their justice, but it makes our neighborhoods more dangerous, costs more in taxes, and will likely cause the Christian God to judge US for how we "treat the least amongst you".

Kingsbury
Mar 28, 2010

by angerbot
Is it possible to walk up to a jail and be ask to be put in solitary confinement without actually having to commit a crime?

anonumos posted:

Yes.

Seriously, can I just walk up and be like "put me in solitary confinement". It's probably safer than a homeless shelter.

Kingsbury fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 24, 2011

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Kingsbury posted:

Is it possible to walk up to a jail and be ask to be put in solitary confinement without actually having to commit a crime?

Yes.

quote:

TX Man Cleared After 30 Years Behind Bars

UPDATE: January 4, 2011 – A Texas judge this morning declared Cornelius Dupree an innocent man, clearing him more than 30 years after he was wrongfully convicted. Read more about today’s hearing on the Innocence Blog and get the details on Dupree’s case below.

Kingsbury posted:

Seriously, can I just walk up and be like "put me in solitary confinement". It's probably safer than a homeless shelter.
It's no joke. But if you're really weary of this life you can voluntarily commit yourself to any number of mental institutions which use prison-like strategies. Knock yourself out.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 24, 2011

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kingsbury posted:

Ignoring the stupidity of your request, you do realize that many jails now charge inmates for room and board, as well as various processing fees? And no, a jail is absolutely not going to let random people walk in and check themselves into a cell.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
There's a way to do it; but it involves doing a whole bunch of other things you probably don't want to do, risking serious injury, costing a whole lot of money at the end, and probably catching a charge or two in the process.

Why not just get one of those Glenn Beck buckets of freeze-dried food / a couple cases of Ramen noodles and lock yourself in the bathroom for a month? It'll be a lot easier and safer, plus way cheaper.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

HidingFromGoro posted:

There's a way to do it; but it involves doing a whole bunch of other things you probably don't want to do, risking serious injury, costing a whole lot of money at the end, and probably catching a charge or two in the process.

Why not just get one of those Glenn Beck buckets of freeze-dried food / a couple cases of Ramen noodles and lock yourself in the bathroom for a month? It'll be a lot easier and safer, plus way cheaper.

He won't get the full-on four-blank-walls-and-no-control-over-your-time experience, though!

EDIT: but seriously Kingsbury you should do what HFG suggests

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

HidingFromGoro posted:

I am intrigued by this post. Can you explain for the more daring/stupid of us?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

21stCentury posted:

I thought the implication was intended to be that the best way to end up in jail is to commit a crime.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Kingsbury posted:

You sort of answered your own question as to why it isn't allowed, with your second sentence there.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

21stCentury posted:

Go to police station and confess to a crime you didn't commit, this will take some convincing since people do this all the time and cops are used to it. Once they put you in county, simply choose not to pay your bail, then beat someone half to death and they'll probably put you in solitary (they don't take requests). This is the most dangerous part, because the CO's might not get to you in time before his friends do, and you won't know who all is friends with each other. If it turns into a racial thing you might get killed, so watch out for that. You run the risk of a street charge for the assault too. Eventually they'll figure out you don't belong there and should let you out, unless you get the assault charge. Once you're out you're going to have to pay a lot of fees for the time you were in there, plus whatever they feel like putting on there for the false report or whatever, and whatever fines or bail you owe if you wind up catching that assault case.

Pre-experiment checklist:
1) Do I have anything important to do for the next few weeks?
2) Do I have 5x white shirts, 5x boxers, and 5x pairs of socks?
3) Do I have $5,040? (20 for your books, 20 for your phone card, 5K for the fees/fines)
4) Can I win a fight against an adult man who's probably been in a few?
a) against a whole bunch of guys in a jail riot?
b) against a team of roided up SORT cops?
5) Can I live with myself if I seriously injure someone I've never met for essentially no reason?
6) Is my boss/wife/parents going to be cool with all this?
7) Given that everyone in the jail is from my community, and all their friends/kin will find out about this, and never forget, do I still want to do this?
8) Do I like bad food?
a) lights, noise when I want to sleep?
b) pain?

Holy Shit
Aug 21, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Theos posted:

But that is exactly what I'm saying, and is exactly why free will is relevant. There is more evidence that biology and environmental factors play a significant role. The other option is incomprehensible as a valid scientific theory, it's a loosely defined position that inevitably leads one down a triple rabbit-hole of quantum-physics, neuroscience and the idea of a "self".

I get that we might someday know through extensive research in those three areas that we do have free will. All I'm saying, indeed demanding strongly, is that you do the research THEN form the judicial/moral system, instead of the reverse, which is our current situation. What are we going to do if the research takes 20 years and goes nowhere? Hindsight is going to be a real bitch then.

Science's very formulation is to prevent things like this. You don't accept a result, then try your damndest to dig deeper and deeper into three of the most complex fields of study in order to justify it.

I understand what you're saying, and I largely agree; I don't think free will exists. My point is that even without conclusively answering the free will question, current knowledge on consciousness and decision making (lacking though it may be) is overwhelmingly on the rehabilitative justice side. I guess I seem like I'm taking a moderate stance here, but I'm really not. We should absolutely pursue further understanding in this area, but for the purposes of a legal system we already know enough that it's absurd a retribution vs. rehabilitation debate is even occurring (and even more absurd that retribution is widely supported in America).

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

This is sort of on topic but off topic.

This was smuggled to some activist friends of mine (Refugee Rights action network) from a detainee at an Australian Detention Center for Refugees.

quote:

In the name of God, we are very happy to see you all outside the camp [protesting] for human rights. We prey no human see again and live again inside the camp. Because detention is very painful. Sir Leonora camp now have pregnant women, 30 under age children 4-8 years old inside. Lot of problem and tention.

Some people ask the DIAC i can’t stay no more in detention please bring my answer. DIAC answer her go back your own country. All people have problem at own country, we cross the Indian ocien for peace not for return back.

If some people complain about mantel health medical said close you eys and thinking good times. Its kidding!

The DIAC rejected people after 10 months, why? The answer is now safe in Afghanistan complete peace. If in Afghanistan peace why NATO work there? Anyway they don’t like asylum seekers. All people [in detention] need you all. Please inform all Australian about our sutuvation, we know all Australian people don’t hate us like DIAC and Serco.

Australia have people who love us who understand my problem.If we still live in detention 5 month more we will crazy soon.

All people have family in own country. All people have lot of problem in own country. If peace in my country (Afghanistan) I promise you I will go back soon.

If DIAC Reject me i must be wait for visa 1 years more. PLEASE HELP US. PLEASE HELP US. PLEASE HELP US. PLEASE HELP US.

We don’t want to make crazy lik some people inside the camp.

-From (name deleted) a person detained at Leonora Detention Centre

I wish I could tell you that this only happens in Australia and we are working on it.

Unfortunately this is happening across europe and the united states, and pretty much everywhere else too.

These places gently caress people badly. Most of these people are utterly innocent of any crime, have been traumatized by wartime experiences and are now terrified of being deported back to their opressors. For the past 10-15 years lobbying has happened by governments across governments to implement more harsh refugee interception and fold back the protections of the UN Refugee conventions. This imperils millions of people across the globe.

In australian detention centers we have had suicdes, children sewing their lips together in protest , solitary confinement used as a response to PTSD, riots, bashings by private prison guards, and so on and so on.

And more than likely its happening in your country too.

This is prison for victims.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

duck monster posted:

This was smuggled to some activist friends of mine (Refugee Rights action network) from a detainee at an Australian Detention Center for Refugees.

I wish I could tell you that this only happens in Australia and we are working on it.

Unfortunately this is happening across europe and the united states, and pretty much everywhere else too.

These places gently caress people badly. Most of these people are utterly innocent of any crime, have been traumatized by wartime experiences and are now terrified of being deported back to their opressors. For the past 10-15 years lobbying has happened by governments across governments to implement more harsh refugee interception and fold back the protections of the UN Refugee conventions. This imperils millions of people across the globe.

In australian detention centers we have had suicdes, children sewing their lips together in protest , solitary confinement used as a response to PTSD, riots, bashings by private prison guards, and so on and so on.

Yeah, anyone interested in this in the US should read up on ICE castles. They're disgusting and make many of our prisons look great. Remember than many of the people in them have never committed a crime beyond wanting to live in the US.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

duck monster posted:

Yeah, in Canada we have a big group of Tamils in one of these dumps and they've been there for months. Just because they may be Tamil Tigers. We have no evidence either way but you know those women and children might be terrorists.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

nm posted:

Yeah, anyone interested in this in the US should read up on ICE castles. They're disgusting and make many of our prisons look great. Remember than many of the people in them have never committed a crime beyond wanting to live in the US.

Got you covered, boss

quote:

For immigrants, it can be even worse, with denial of attorney or family visits- even going so far as to shuffle them around to different facilities without telling anyone where the inmates are actually located, within Homeland Security's immigrant-only network of secret prisons (the so-called ICE Castles).

This includes Haiti earthquake refugees who were mistakenly brought to the US by military relief planes- and then subsequently sent directly into jail for lack of visas.

No, really. Some of them have already been shuffled into other facilities; and you guessed it, substandard or nonexistent medical care & legal representation as well as indefinite detention.

quote:

The government’s actions have been especially bewildering for the survivors’ relatives, like Virgile Ulysse, 69, an American citizen who keeps an Obama poster on his kitchen wall in Norwalk, Conn. Mr. Ulysse said he could not explain to his nephews, Jackson, 20, and Reagan, 25, why they were brought to the United States on a military plane only to be jailed at the Broward center when they arrived in Orlando on Jan. 19.

“Every time I called immigration, they told me they will release them in two or three weeks, and now it’s almost three months,” said Mr. Ulysse

Mike Kenson Delva, 21, asked a Marine for a job and was assigned to help board a young boy whose leg had been amputated, along with the boy’s wheelchair-bound mother. Suddenly, the plane took off.

"And the Obama administration has stepped up detention and deportation of so-called criminal aliens, including many legal immigrants with low-level drug convictions."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

[/quote]

There have been incidents where even when they have hired attorneys they refuse to tell their attorneys how to contact them.
ICE castles are a big reason why that American citizen (with developmental disabilities) got deported to Mexico last year.
Yes, they deported a developmentally disabled American citizen (who was born here). Worse: He's not the first.
There are actual LPR (legal permanent residents) and US citizens in these facilities who have committed no crime but being suspected by ICE of being illegal immigrants. And now they have to prove they are here legally, even if they are US citizens, often without legal assistance. Absolutely disgusting.
I think it is important to re-emphasize US Citizens because these aren't foreign nationals, not illegals, but people born in this nation with same rights as you. Some of them are far less brown than you might think.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

If a US citizen runs into to this situation and is wrongfully detained and then deported, can he later sue the federal government, or does sovereign immunity come into play?

(Yes, I understand that post people in this situation probably lack the resources to bring a suit against the government.)

Ganguro King fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 26, 2011

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Ganguro King posted:

If a US citizen runs into to this situation and is wrongfully detained and then deported, can he later sue to federal government, or does sovereign immunity come into play?

(Yes, I understand that post people in this situation probably lack the resources to bring a suit against the government.)
If Juan Baires' family's suit against ICE was thrown out, anyone else's probably would be too. (Consider this whole article bolded.)

Courthouse News Service posted:

Judge Nixes Suit Against ICE Over Lack of HIV Care
By JOSEPH CELENTINO

(CN) - A federal judge in San Francisco dismissed two men's claims that they did not receive HIV treatment while in the custody of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, leading to one man's death.
Juan Carlos Baires was arrested in 2008 for being in the United States illegal and was and taken to the Santa Rita County Jail, where he identified himself as HIV positive and was given a daily dose of three HIV medications.
When he was transferred to the Lerdo Detention Facility, he claimed officials failed to list any medications on his medical transfer form.
He informed a doctor about the problem, but said he never received medication. Baires soon developed a pain in his foot and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. An agent allegedly promised Baires' lawyer that he would get proper medications, but never followed through.
Baires eventually got an appointment at an immunology clinic, but was never taken there. Instead, he went to the Kern Medical Center for severe chest pain, where doctors cut the fibrous covering of his muscles to relieve tension. He died the same day of cardiac arrest.
Baires had not received medication for 23 days, according to court documents.
Teofilo Miranda, also HIV positive, claimed he was given a similar runaround after being taken into custody. He informed agents of his condition, but did not receive anti-retroviral therapy, despite repeated requests, because he was not on the medication upon incarceration.
Five days before his scheduled HIV appointment, Miranda was also transferred to Lerdo, where Dr. Khosrow Mostofi declined to prescribe medication. Miranda said Mostofi instead gave him a fungal cream used to treat athlete's foot, instructing him to use it on his face.
Miranda's medical records never arrived at Lerdo. When Miranda was released, he went to a hospital in San Francisco and was immediately given anti-retroviral medication.
The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) medical policy requires a health screening of all inmates within the first 24 hours at an ICE facility. Detainees with chronic health care needs are referred to a primary care provider, but must first "jump through a series of bureaucratic hoops designed to save ICE money before they get treatment," according to the complaint.
Some detainees are subject to month-long waits, the lawsuit states.
Baires' mother and Miranda sued ICE, the Department of Homeland Security and various individual agency directors. The pair argued that the directors had "conscientiously implemented policies to 'ration' essential medical care," resulting in mistreatment.
U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer, the brother of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, dismissed the claims without prejudice, saying the injuries were caused by the actions of individuals, not national policies.
ICE procedure dictates that patients "with diseases such as HIV/AIDS must be treated in accordance with nationally recognized standards and guidelines."
The treatment Baires and Miranda endured was in direct violation of this policy, and was thus not the responsibility of the directors.
"The individual defendants-policymakers in Washington, D.C.-never interacted with Plaintiffs," Breyer wrote. "And while they are alleged to have enacted unconstitutional policies, the only policies articulated in the [complaint] are not alleged to have harmed Plaintiffs."
The judge also rejected claims that the directors knew about Baires and Miranda's medical conditions and were constitutionally bound to ensure they received proper care.
Breyer explained that the departments are too big for directors to know each individual's needs, despite media coverage of the poor treatment of immigrant detainees, which Baires and Miranda argued should have alerted the directors to their plight.
Baires and Miranda's Americans with Disabilities and Rehabilitation Act claims were also dismissed, and Breyer rejected their claims against four ICE officers who were allegedly informed of the problems but failed to fix them.
"Plaintiffs were being seen by a physician, and the fact that the physician is alleged to have been dangerously careless and incompetent does not necessarily vest an individual ICE officer with the discretion to change doctors, change medications, or otherwise alter Plaintiffs' treatment," Breyer wrote.
You can't sue ICE itself if you aren't treated according to policy. I'd assume detaining a legal American citizen is against policy. You'd have to sue the individuals that arrested you/did the detaining, apparently.

Oh, and Juan Baires? The HIV-positive 26 year-old that died from heart attack after doctors cut the fibrous tissue (epimysium?) from his chest muscles to relieve his incredible pain from not getting HIV meds for a month?

...according to ICE records.

JMBosch fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 26, 2011

literally america
Jan 26, 2011

by elpintogrande
[/quote]

Please tell me these people aren't forced to work in there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

JMBosch posted:

If Juan Baires' family's suit against ICE was thrown out, anyone else's probably would be too. (Consider this whole article bolded.)
You can't sue ICE itself if you aren't treated according to policy. I'd assume detaining a legal American citizen is against policy. You'd have to sue the individuals that arrested you/did the detaining, apparently.

Oh, and Juan Baires? The HIV-positive 26 year-old that died from heart attack after doctors cut the fibrous tissue (epimysium?) from his chest muscles to relieve his incredible pain from not getting HIV meds for a month?

...according to ICE records.

Wait. Maybe I'm making bad assumptions, but surely the body corporate involved here, in this case ICE, is civilly responsible for actions taken in its name by its agents?

Surely this is jurisdictionally incoherent?

• Locked thread