Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

My Chinese is pretty spotty, but I think it's canned abalone.
You're right, it's canned abalone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Doesn't look like a full CD ever got released
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/8974da95-e631-45aa-8fd7-aa0c2795f997.html

There was a compilation CD released however that does have four of the songs on it
http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/newsite.php?rub=detail&id=146
sorry if I was unclear but I'm looking the songs from the movie on cd, I know i could just download them but I don't really want to give my dad a burnt cd

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Here's the list of songs found in the movie. There seems to be no official soundtrack for the movie, so you'll have to compile the songs and burn them.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Why the hell can't I download the Helvetica font without paying for it? Pretty sure it comes standard on Macs and its a very basic font. Seems like it should be a free download.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It comes standard on Macs because Apple paid the license fee on your behalf. That doesn't make it free for everyone in the world.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

nocturama posted:

sorry if I was unclear but I'm looking the songs from the movie on cd, I know i could just download them but I don't really want to give my dad a burnt cd

Yeah, do you mean the licensed soundtrack or the score? I assumed the latter, though I'm not sure either was ever compiled onto a disc. I didn't find anything in my search.

If you're unfamiliar, the difference between the two is that the licensed sountrack is what WillieWestwood posted, songs that other artists made independent of the movie that the movie used, whereas the score is the music composed specifically for the movie, in this case by Harry Gregson-Williams.

If you're looking for the licensed soundtrack, the posted list seems to be the best you can do. Nothing official but at least you can buy the songs off eMusic or whatever and burn a CD of your own. For the score it doesn't look like you'll have much chance, the only thing I found was that snippet in that list I posted earlier.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I have a building code question, state is California. A building inspector and a city code enforcement officer both stated an addition in the house I was renting violated building codes because among other things it enclosed the electrical meter and blocked off ventilation to the bathroom. However they can't put this in writing because of a pending legal case. I figure if it violates building codes I should be able to find that myself in the federal or California building codes but I'm not having any luck. I think it's more because I don't know the right terms to look for.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I found the codes here http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/ but can't find anything related to those specific issues.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If I could somehow time travel, let's say, 30,000 years into the past and wanted to leave a message for someone in our time to find, how would I do it without whatever it's on decaying? Assuming it's too large to just carve into stone or something.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

change my name posted:

If I could somehow time travel, let's say, 30,000 years into the past and wanted to leave a message for someone in our time to find, how would I do it without whatever it's on decaying? Assuming it's too large to just carve into stone or something.

Are you writing the message in the current time and taking it with you to leave? That would be best. If so: Preserve it in something transluscent so they know the vessel contains something. A glass block, or PTFE with degradation retardant?

If you're hastily writing it in the past, try tree sap and hope for the best. Or, convince primitives that the message you have is cursed and if they don't rejuvinate it once a year for eternity, their afterlives will be punished equally as long.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

change my name posted:

Carve it into a tusk of an elephant or woolly mammoth, bring tusk to some place cold and drop it in the snow.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

change my name posted:

Give a vastly understated oral account of it to the natives. Hopefully they'll expand it into an epic that has grown to include whatever elements you didn't give them yet. They're going to expand on it anyways, so it's basically a guess which way they'll run with it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I meant more of "bring back something modern day that holds information" to gently caress with people who would find it in the present

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

change my name posted:

I meant more of "bring back something modern day that holds information" to gently caress with people who would find it in the present

I guess a hard drive in a vacuum sealed box inside a bigger box that says in a ton of languages, "don't open til 2011" ?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe tablets made of an extremely durable modern synthetic material engraved with your message? Scientists would know that it couldn't possibly have been made until modern times. For extra credibility, you could encase it in clay in the past so it would dispel suspicion that it was placed there later.

If you had time to prepare before you went back in time, you could research recent archeological excavations and find one that uncovered something from your target time period. Travel back to that location and time, bury your stuff there, and hopefully it will be uncovered as planned.

Then again, maybe your presence in the past would drastically change history, so who knows.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

kimbo305 posted:

I guess a hard drive in a vacuum sealed box inside a bigger box that says in a ton of languages, "don't open til 2011" ?

You clearly have no idea what the status of archaeology before the twentieth century was like.

Napoleon used the Sphinx for target practice for god's sake.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

change my name posted:

Write it in the Australian outback on stone. Europeans and their "destroy/steal anything not nailed down" approach to archaeology did not start looking at that area until they had recognized that is not the best way to preserve things. Anything found earlier would not have been preserved. (read about the first shipment of the Elgin marbles sinking, for instance.)

Australia has the oldest drawings yet found. It has been continuously sparsely occupied without major geological change for the longest time on Earth, so it is protected by political, geological, and environmental factors.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 24, 2011

revolther
May 27, 2008
I was just offered a ton of old playboys. Had they been from the 60's or 70's I would have swooped on them, but the oldest go back to 1994-ish from 2005 or so I believe. Is there anything that might be worthwhile going through the collection to grab that might stand out, besides naked ladies of course. I'm thinking along the lines of like articles by Hunter S. Thompson or interviews/photo-spreads that were controversial at the time, I dunno O.J. stuff maybe?

I imagine there's a fair bit of Madonna vag being the 90's, anything you goons can think of?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

revolther posted:

I was just offered a ton of old playboys. Had they been from the 60's or 70's I would have swooped on them, but the oldest go back to 1994-ish from 2005 or so I believe. Is there anything that might be worthwhile going through the collection to grab that might stand out, besides naked ladies of course. I'm thinking along the lines of like articles by Hunter S. Thompson or interviews/photo-spreads that were controversial at the time, I dunno O.J. stuff maybe?

I imagine there's a fair bit of Madonna vag being the 90's, anything you goons can think of?

If you have the space, keep them?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

FOr people like me who use the Gmail Manager Firefox extension to check multiple Gmail accounts, an update has been posted that fixes it for some people (though apparently not all people). It fixed it for me. (Yay!)

http://www.longfocus.com/firefox/gmanager/

kapalama fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 25, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Not sure if this would be better suited for AI, but I didn't see any specific info there.

A couple years back, my father-in-law passed away. He left a shop full of cart parts, tools, VW stuff, offroad dune buggy stuff, along with a trailer and a pair of offroad vehicles. We have an uncle who knows his stuff and has helped up sell the trailer and buggys and some auto parts, but there is still boxes and boxes of this stuff. We are planning on moving in a few months so this stuff needs to go.

What's the best way to sell this stuff? We don't know much about what value stuff has (complete headers for some VWs?) and what's junk (broken flyweels?). I would like to either sell this all to someone who can give us a fair price on real worth, or let someone sell this all on eBay or Craiglist or swapmeets and take a cut. How could we go about this and not get ripped off?

Or, should we just sell it all to a scrap yard?

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.
This is a weird question, but Google won't turn up anything and everyone I asked said they haven't experienced something similar, so here goes.

I was talking over the phone with a friend and the call dropped; he called back and when I answered I got something of a voice, like heavy, sustained breathing/hissing and then indistinguishable words. It dropped again, friend calls back, and when I answer apparently he heard it too and the "dropping" was him freaking out and hanging up. He describes the noise as something like Parseltongue (?) from Harry Potter; I have no clue. Is it possible that we could have somehow been intercepted by something that was garbled by static just so that it sounded like a voice hissing at us or... I don't know.

So I guess my question is if it's possible for calls to get "mixed up" like I hear they do with phonelines? Or if this should be considered a strange occurrence.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BorderPatrol posted:

Not sure if this would be better suited for AI, but I didn't see any specific info there.

What's the best way to sell this stuff? We don't know much about what value stuff has (complete headers for some VWs?) and what's junk (broken flyweels?). I would like to either sell this all to someone who can give us a fair price on real worth, or let someone sell this all on eBay or Craiglist or swapmeets and take a cut. How could we go about this and not get ripped off?

Try either the AI question thread or the VW thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2341562
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298776

If you post a summary of the VW parts, the latter thread might help you price it. It would still be a lot of effort selling it yourself on eBay. There used to be an air-cooled VW thread (which I'm guessing your stuff is, based on the 'dune buggy' bit), but that didn't live long.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

gandhichan posted:

This is a weird question, but Google won't turn up anything and everyone I asked said they haven't experienced something similar, so here goes.

I was talking over the phone with a friend and the call dropped; he called back and when I answered I got something of a voice, like heavy, sustained breathing/hissing and then indistinguishable words. It dropped again, friend calls back, and when I answer apparently he heard it too and the "dropping" was him freaking out and hanging up. He describes the noise as something like Parseltongue (?) from Harry Potter; I have no clue. Is it possible that we could have somehow been intercepted by something that was garbled by static just so that it sounded like a voice hissing at us or... I don't know.

So I guess my question is if it's possible for calls to get "mixed up" like I hear they do with phonelines? Or if this should be considered a strange occurrence.

That weird Parseltongue, demon speak effect used to happen to me when I had Sprint. I'd get the odd occasional voicemail that sounded like the caller was leaving a message from hell.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
This is a really complex question, but how the hell do I start an internet start-up? I want to make money eventually (and everything is virtual, no tangible product), but I don't know how to build a website. Basically, I want to find someone who can invest money for programmers to make the website (not technically complex, I think) and to go from there. Also to help manage the site and stuff like that since I'm not a business-savvy person.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Dudebro posted:

This is a really complex question, but how the hell do I start an internet start-up? I want to make money eventually (and everything is virtual, no tangible product), but I don't know how to build a website. Basically, I want to find someone who can invest money for programmers to make the website (not technically complex, I think) and to go from there. Also to help manage the site and stuff like that since I'm not a business-savvy person.

Maybe find a partner with some experience? What is your business model? If it depends on having a complex website you really need somebody who can take charge of that. Otherwise maybe use Wordpress or something if it's just an online brochure/business card and your business is mainly done offline.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Dudebro posted:

Not trying to be a dick or anything but (especially in internet startup land) you have to either be a business ninja and/or the talent (meaning that outside of the business stuff you can do everything).

As far as building a website. That really shouldn't take an investment unless you're looking at serving thousands of DB heavy pages a minute. There's a bunch of freelancer sites that you can hire someone to make pretty complex LAMP/CSS sites in hours or days and stay in the 100's.

That's not to say your idea is destined for failure just that beyond asking uncle tom for a few grand you need to have a rock solid idea, business plan, and probably a patent or two before any serious investor will take your call.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Alternately, code something insanely stupid and easy based on existing apis, post on App Store/Marketplace with a cute means nothing short name like Moqo, Jubsy, Armok.

There's going to be an assload of profiteering off of stupid rear end Apps just like with shareware in the 90's. Just hope you are the Winzip of this upcoming age of idiocy.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

revolther posted:

Just hope you are the Winzip of this upcoming age of idiocy.

Just...without all the drinking yourself to death.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Just...without all the drinking yourself to death.

What's the story on this?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

fishmech posted:

http://www.esva.net/~thom/deadkatz.html

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Katz

Phil Katz is the guy who (co-)developed the PKZIP compression scheme and died as a direct result of rampant alcoholism. I don't think he was involved with development of WinZip, though.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

A question about 9-ball in general and Earl Strickland in particular.

During the 2007 Mosconi Cup, Earl got real pissed off at his opponent, Daryl Peach.

"Strickland, who had been talking constantly throughout the match, called Peach 'a cheat' after he believed the Englishman had sharked him, although referee Michaela Tabb later confirmed that it had actually been someone behind Peach and not the player himself."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXFLJHXBXNs

Strickland won that game. After making the winning shot, Strickland immediately started bitching about something he believes Peach did. Here is what I can gather from the video:

6:58 - Strickland to Peach - inaudible
7:01 - Peach to Strickland - inaudible
7:04 - Referee to Strickland - You need to settle down, allright?
7:06 - Strickland to Referee - He ??????? when I shot the ball!

The ref says it wasn't Peach, but one of the spectators who did ??????.

I've watched the last three shots of Strickland's run and didn't hear anything unusual from the crowd while he was shooting, so it must have been something he saw that got him riled up. The question is, what was it?

edit: It might help if I included a link to the video.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 25, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

2 nights ago, my gf turned off the heat to her apartment while she was out. The heat comes from radiators which are powered by a heater in the basement. She turned the heat back on yesterday morning. As of today, the temperature still hasn't risen from where it bottomed out (58 F). The heater in the basement seems operational and hot, but the radiators are still cold. Is there anything basic to check before calling in a HVAC person? As far as she can tell, the control unit is set up exactly as it always was when heat was working.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
For those of you familiar with VistaPrint/online printing:

Is it possible to design a trifold in VistaPrint and use the PDF proof they provide use as a design for another company (cheaper printing price)? Unfortunately the proof seems to be password-protected and has a big "PROOF" on it. I'd be willing to pay a goon to do it if possible.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

kimbo305 posted:

2 nights ago, my gf turned off the heat to her apartment while she was out. The heat comes from radiators which are powered by a heater in the basement. She turned the heat back on yesterday morning. As of today, the temperature still hasn't risen from where it bottomed out (58 F). The heater in the basement seems operational and hot, but the radiators are still cold. Is there anything basic to check before calling in a HVAC person? As far as she can tell, the control unit is set up exactly as it always was when heat was working.

Did she close the flow valve on the radiators and not re-open them? Is she getting hot water (if that isn't from a separate boiler)?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

gwar3k1 posted:

Did she close the flow valve on the radiators and not re-open them? Is she getting hot water (if that isn't from a separate boiler)?

Can flow valves be automatically tripped by such extreme temperature changes? She definitely didn't touch anything besides the controller unit. Her hot water has been ok.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Whats the best way to run Windows on my Mac? I have to run some version of windows in order to run the program SAS.

Or would it just be cheaper to pick up a used laptop?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Parallels costs, but probably has more support.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

BlueBayou posted:

Whats the best way to run Windows on my Mac? I have to run some version of windows in order to run the program SAS.

Or would it just be cheaper to pick up a used laptop?

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

"Boot Camp is software included with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard that lets you run compatible versions of Microsoft Windows on an Intel-based Mac."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Now you may be asking "what's the difference"?

The ones I posted are "virtualized" meaning you can run the OS in a window while in your native OS. With bootcamp you are rebooting into windows.

The former is good for light use the latter is good for gaming and more intense applications.