Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Velius posted:

I just started Nameless too. I'm at the point which I assume splits the plot, where I'm supposed to save/kill Dragon. Given how ludicrous the notion was, not to mention that the dude could just be lying, I killed him. Would I be correct in assuming I'm now on the 'evil' path through the game? Since it's my first go-through, should I be worried about spoiling the main plot stuff quickly, and therefore being less interesting than doing it straight? Or is it enough of a separate game that going in either order is worthwhile?

They're completely separate. So it's fine to do them in whatever order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Speedball posted:

The predictions about going overboard about terrorism paranoia may have been eerily accurate, but at least it looks like the real-world FEMA isn't nearly as sinister as the one run by Simons. So there's that.

This is the most shocking at terrible prediction of them all:

:tinfoil:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I don't know much about Alex Jones other then his crazy Obama yell so what do you mean by the real deal?

Glenn Beck is a morning zoo DJ and terrible writer who realized he could make more money by pandering to anti-government conspiracy theorists. He might believe some or even most of the stuff he says and does, but for the most part everything he does is calculated to make him money first (like praising gold while partnering with that scam that sells gold at inflated prices, or preaching the end of times while partnering with companies that sell survivalist goods) and push his agenda second.

Alex Jones has been pants-on-head crazy since the 90s and puts getting "the truth" out before all else: even though he has a sizable built-in fanbase all of his movies have been given away for free and he doesn't really do much to capitalize on his fans. Even his advertising is mostly grass roots, like people writing Prison Planet graffiti everywhere.

Not to start a derail about politics or anything, but Jones is definitely the more :tinfoil: of the two. Although, ironically, a lot of conspiracy theorists think he's actually a plant meant to discredit them because he's one of the few big conspiracy theorist types who doesn't blame the Jews for everything.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Glenn Beck vs Alex Jones

If your interested in that stuff, this thread covers some of it. It starts out kinda lame, but gets more informative as you go on. Pretty funny too. Infowars.com - what the gently caress is this?

LogisticEarth posted:

This is the most shocking at terrible prediction of them all:

:tinfoil:

If in 2052 were still using mostly gasoline, then I think $4 a gallon would be drat good. I personally don't believe in peak oil, but manipulation of the market would probably further raise those prices (plus inflation of course).

I'm currently on (what I think is) my 5th run through. I'm playing with Biomod/Shifter, DX ENB, New Vision, a modified EXE, and D3D 10 Renderer. (Some of those links may not work, it appears MODDB is down). It works pretty well. I'd say it's mostly an improvement on the game. I'm not sure I personally like the points for kills or evasion system (or flushing toilets), but it is mostly functional.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure I got DX ENB to work. Doesn't matter. New vision looks good enough.

It got me thinking, how long till we get a total remake of this game? They did it with Metal Gear Solid to some effect. Certainly there's demand for it. Maybe after the new game is successful and behind them. A man can dream.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 23, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StickySweater posted:

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure I got DX ENB to work. Doesn't matter. New vision looks good enough.

If ENB was working, you would definitely know it. Massive graphics improvement if you've got the system to run it.

I mean, look at this:

Click here for the full 1280x800 image.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 23, 2011

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

StickySweater posted:

I personally don't believe in peak oil, but manipulation of the market would probably further raise those prices (plus inflation of course).

Sorry for the derail but this jumped out at me. What exactly is it you don't believe in? That there is a finite amount of oil in the world and less that we can actually get to? That we won't reach peak oil anytime soon?

Peak oil doesn't require any belief. It is the point that the maximum rate of oil extraction is reached. There is no arguing that it WILL happen, unless we die out as a species before it is reached. The question is only, when?

Also isn't that sign a screen from the destroyed highway gas station level? If so, that station hasn't been in use since the california quake and does not represent prices in current day deus ex land.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I think JC would make a great AM talk radio host.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Glenn Beck is a morning zoo DJ and terrible writer who realized he could make more money by pandering to anti-government conspiracy theorists. He might believe some or even most of the stuff he says and does, but for the most part everything he does is calculated to make him money first (like praising gold while partnering with that scam that sells gold at inflated prices, or preaching the end of times while partnering with companies that sell survivalist goods) and push his agenda second.

Alex Jones has been pants-on-head crazy since the 90s and puts getting "the truth" out before all else: even though he has a sizable built-in fanbase all of his movies have been given away for free and he doesn't really do much to capitalize on his fans. Even his advertising is mostly grass roots, like people writing Prison Planet graffiti everywhere.

Not to start a derail about politics or anything, but Jones is definitely the more :tinfoil: of the two. Although, ironically, a lot of conspiracy theorists think he's actually a plant meant to discredit them because he's one of the few big conspiracy theorist types who doesn't blame the Jews for everything.
Personally I think Glenn Beck would be more interesting because he is such a pandering whore.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Nathilus posted:

Sorry for the derail but this jumped out at me. What exactly is it you don't believe in? That there is a finite amount of oil in the world and less that we can actually get to? That we won't reach peak oil anytime soon?
You're right to jump on me for this because I didn't explain it very well. Yes, what you say is true, and yes what I meant is that we are not close to exhausting our supply of oil. That said, there is a huge financial incentive to make oil appear to be a much more limited resource than it actually is.

Also, scientist theorize that oil is not a fossil fuel, but rather Abiotic and is continuously restored in the earth's mantle. (Wiki Article). If that theory is correct, then yes, peak-oil is a myth because its (at least somewhat) replenishable. I'm not saying I believe in that, just that I don't subscribe to either belief whole heartedly.

Nathilus posted:

Also isn't that sign a screen from the destroyed highway gas station level? If so, that station hasn't been in use since the california quake and does not represent prices in current day deus ex land.

That's a good point. According to the Deus Ex Wiki, the quake takes place in 2030... those prices are still somewhat unbelievable considering were going to have gas prices at $4 or $5 by 2012. When the game came out prices were at about $1.80. They probably thought they were being conservative.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If ENB was working, you would definitely know it. Massive graphics improvement if you've got the system to run it.
I mean, look at this:

Wow, that is pretty sweet. I'm gonna have to try and get it to work again. It's a near top of the line system so yeah it should run well. :smug:

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 23, 2011

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

StickySweater posted:

Also, scientist theorize that oil is not a fossil fuel, but rather Abiotic and is continuously restored in the earth's mantle. (Wiki Article). If that theory is correct, then yes, peak-oil is a myth because its (at least somewhat) replenishable. I'm not saying I believe in that, just that I don't subscribe to either belief whole heartedly.

This is about as well-supported and widely-accepted as homeopathy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Right, but he's not saying that he believes in homeopathy, just that he doesn't subscribe to it or actual medicine wholeheartedly. :v:

SS, if you cannot distinguish between the merits of two contradictory possibilities, rating them each at 50% probability makes sense. But that's not the case here, so it's a bad idea to reduce your estimated probability of the heavily supported claim just because someone else has made a contrary one.

It's like if we had a pie, and you said "I think it's fair that we split the pie, with half going to each of us," and I said "Well, I think it's fair that I get the get the whole thing. Since we each have equal claim to being right, let's compromise by only giving me 3/4 of it."

You might rightly say "I think you have selfish reasons for your usage of fairness!" or maybe even just "That's crazy! That's not what fairness is in reality at all!"

That's what we're thinking is the problem with the abiotic hypothesis.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

StickySweater posted:

You're right to jump on me for this because I didn't explain it very well. Yes, what you say is true, and yes what I meant is that we are not close to exhausting our supply of oil. That said, there is a huge financial incentive to make oil appear to be a much more limited resource than it actually is.

Actually there's a huge financial incentive, in the short term, to suggest that we have much more oil than we do because then you can pump out much more of it while still following "max % remaining" agreements.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
We should probably take the abiotic oil thing to this thread before we get yelled at by a mod or something.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

I mean, look at this:

Holy poo poo, this is amazing.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I mean, look at this:

Wow, can you turn off blur? If so, I'll have to try that in my next playthrough.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

I mean, look at this:

And here I was thinking I probably could do without a dedicated gaming desktop.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I knew experimenting too much would break it.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
It looks like you can't use ENB with the DX10 renderer or New Vision mod though..

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It should work with New Vision. New Vision completely replaces existing texture files if I'm not mistaken.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Supernorn posted:

It looks like you can't use ENB with the DX10 renderer or New Vision mod though..

Honestly the ENB bump mapping looks like poo poo most of the time. I prefer the clean look of the DX10 renderer.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

StickySweater posted:

I knew experimenting too much would break it.

This exact thing happened to me too. My ~16y.o. self was so amused by throwing Paul's own corpse at him. I think it happens when you exit through the window and quickload to exit through the front door and both flags stay in the memory or something. The game thought Paul died though. What a sh...

EDIT: I need to stop saying that

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

I mean, look at this:

So what mods would I need to install to get my game to look like tihs? Just ENB, or would I need additional texture packs or something?

Want to do another playthrough, but the last time I tried the graphics really bugged me :-/

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cray posted:

Honestly the ENB bump mapping looks like poo poo most of the time. I prefer the clean look of the DX10 renderer.

For some reason the default settings of ENB put huge amounts of bump mapping on everything. EVERYTHING. However if you tweak with the settings, I believe via the in-game shift+enter key combo, you can turn it down or even remove it and still keep all the awesome everything else.

I wish I could be more help with this stuff for you guys, but my new video card isn't arriving until sometime later this week. Right now my computer just can't handle ENB. Once I get rolling with my new card I'll probably end up spending hours tweaking this poo poo. I'll write up a small guide to help you guys out when I'm done.

fatelvis posted:

Want to do another playthrough, but the last time I tried the graphics really bugged me :-/

For now just check out this wonderful guide.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I got Deus Ex for 50p today. I've already got a few copies but can't find them and it's always handy to have a spare.

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p19rCdIsxEA
I don't think I've laughed this hard at a Deus Ex video since JC Tenton.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Bobulot posted:

I don't think I've laughed this hard at a Deus Ex video since JC Tenton.

Holy poo poo the electrocuting and camera shaking.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Thief limitations inspired creation of Deus Ex - Spector
( http://www.computerandvideogames.com/285479/news/thief-limitations-inspired-creation-of-deus-ex-spector/ )

Legendary designer Warren Spector has revealed that his critically acclaimed sci-fi action RPG Deus Ex was born from frustrations he experienced whilst helping create Eidos' Thief: The Dark Project. Spector worked briefly on Thief whilst at Looking Glass Studios, but left in 1997 to join John Romero at Ion Storm in Austin, Texas, where he and his team set to work on Deus Ex.

The exec told Xbox World 360 that he was "so frustrated by Thief" and the way it forced players into combat, that it motivated him to create a game where sneaking and fighting were both viable ways to deal with a situation. "Deus Ex exists today because I said, 'I'm going to show these guys that I can make a game where you can sneak and fight and make it work'" said Spector.

Spector's defiance eventually extended to the purpose behind Deus Ex, which he says he created with the intention of shaming other devs. "One of my goals for Deus Ex was - and I used to think about it this way - 'I want to shame developers; I want to shame my peers and force them to make different kinds of games'".

Spector reflected on his crusade for variety positively, drawing attention to the sheer number of different kinds of games available today in comparison to years ago. Spector last year finished working on Disney Epic Mickey. He subsequently revealed that he already has a mountain of ideas for a possible sequel to the game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Now that is impressive. Man sets out to embarrass colleagues and make them ashamed of themselves for not being as awesome as he is at their chosen profession, succeeds spectacularly, product of such awesomeness is still loved over a decade after its release despite sub-par graphics even at release in an industry obsessed with graphics and competing in severely oversaturated market.

drat, what a guy.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
I would love to see the context of this quote, hope someone actually buys this Xbox Whatever magazine. I assume Spector means things like all the zombie levels in Thief that they added because they weren't sure if the stealth was even going to work.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Maybe not ashamed for not being awesome, just for going along with trends and everyone producing games from the same playbook.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It worked. We got to sneak through Super Star Destroyers as Kyle Katarn: Jedi Knight and Slayer of Stormtroopers. Where the failure mode for getting spotted was a short cut scene, a scream, and an instant game over

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Tecman posted:

Thief limitations inspired creation of Deus Ex - Spector
( http://www.computerandvideogames.com/285479/news/thief-limitations-inspired-creation-of-deus-ex-spector/
The exec told Xbox World 360 that he was "so frustrated by Thief" and the way it forced players into combat, that it motivated him to create a game where sneaking and fighting were both viable ways to deal with a situation. "Deus Ex exists today because I said, 'I'm going to show these guys that I can make a game where you can sneak and fight and make it work'" said Spector.
This is bizarre, how on earth does Thief force you into combat? More often the complete opposite is true.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Iggles posted:

This is bizarre, how on earth does Thief force you into combat? More often the complete opposite is true.

The operative word there is "more often", as in "sometimes not".

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Deus Ex forces you into combat for a significant portion of the game too - especially the last few levels.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

stratdax posted:

Deus Ex forces you into combat for a significant portion of the game too - especially the last few levels.

There's only one necessary kill in Deus Ex, and even that can be glitched around.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

There's only one necessary kill in Deus Ex, and even that can be glitched around.

Well okay, you can power-recirculate and cloak and eat biocells and run through everything if you want to, but that's not very fun.
Unless you're not counting sneaking up on people and stunning them. That's still combat - it's functionally identical to slicing people with the Dragon Tooth.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Thief is kind of in an impossible situation though. If you can sneak past everything the game seems rather pointless to me, it's just "Walk Through Shadows to the Goal - The Game".

Edit: VVV Yeah, that's true. I was going to make a point about those robots from Thief 2 specifically because you had to peg their firebox with a water arrow. That was a nice change of pace.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 28, 2011

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

HoldYourFire posted:

Thief is kind of in an impossible situation though. If you can sneak past everything the game seems rather pointless to me, it's just "Walk Through Shadows to the Goal - The Game".

Things can be difficult to get past without combat, you know. Patrolling guards with torches being the classic Thief example.

Difficult, but not impossible.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

stratdax posted:

Well okay, you can power-recirculate and cloak and eat biocells and run through everything if you want to, but that's not very fun.
Unless you're not counting sneaking up on people and stunning them. That's still combat - it's functionally identical to slicing people with the Dragon Tooth.

It sounds like you just don't like stealth except as a means of making combat easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

It sounds like you just don't like stealth except as a means of making combat easier.

That isn't what I said at all. Stealth is fine. I used it to avoid combat in a lot of places. But I'm saying that the game basically forced you into combat in some other places. I don't see how you could simply stealth your way through the entire end-game, for instance.