Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sizemon
Jun 16, 2003

Where would we be without vasoline?
Hi all. Last night, I was doing snow removal in fairly cold weather, and my phone started acting up on me. I had just flashed Cyanogen 6.1 the other day and it's been running great, except today. The screen was acting strange and not responding, as were my buttons. I attributed this to the cold and tried to reboot. It went into Safe Mode, so after another reboot my Legend would just stay on the white HTC screen, frozen. I tried removing the battery and the SD card and restarting, but now it only restarts into the fastboot screen where the volume buttons do not scroll through the options, nor does the power button select any items.

I discovered that using the fastboot.exe in the androidsdk/tools folder would communicate with my phone (while adb does not), but I don't know enough about how it works to understand what to try to reboot to or flash onto the phone to get it working again. I figured my safest bet would be to ask the community before I ruined my phone past the point of being able to fix it. Any advice would be appreciated, since as of right now my phone is useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Has anyone started to play with that new Tmo theme that was introduced into CM7?

Cyanogen Twitter posted:

The new theme system from @TMobile will be in tonights CM7 nightly build :)
19 hours ago

edit: speaking of themes.. the kitchen at http://circle.glx.nl/ has become quite comprehensive. It has options for status bar icons (batt, signal etc), the status bar, the boot animation. It apparently works with CM6&7, but I've not yet tried it.

deong fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 22, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

deong posted:

Has anyone started to play with that new Tmo theme that was introduced into CM7?

They're not really extensive as far as themes go, they're mostly just the glow color, checkbox check color and poo poo like that. "Accents" I guess.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Naes posted:

Basically I want a browser that looks almost identical to the HTC desire browser colour wise.

Isn't this the Sense browser? Would that even work at all on a non-Sense device like the N1?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
My phone on CM7 had been doing just fine but I restarted it and for some reason it has gone back? I think? to an earlier version where I constantly get the "The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." message.

I was juuuuuust on my way out the door too and now my day is hosed.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

deong posted:

edit: speaking of themes.. the kitchen at http://circle.glx.nl/ has become quite comprehensive. It has options for status bar icons (batt, signal etc), the status bar, the boot animation. It apparently works with CM6&7, but I've not yet tried it.

I used it to make a pick the green glow.

Yep.

Might be more useful when there's more themes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Casao posted:

Might be more useful when there's more themes.

This. I'm really hoping the theme community takes hold of this. Sure we'll see some god awful stuff but I'm sure there will be some clean ones. It's also really cool to not only see a carrier (TMobile) contributing to github and open source but also seeing the aftermarket community actually use it.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump

Casao posted:

WTF is a SNS.

If you mean Nexus S, the only downside is that it erases everything on the phone when you fastboot oem unlock.

And if you have a custom recovery to do a nandroid, you're rooted. All you have to do is install the SU binary/apk and you have root privs. How did you do this?

Yeah, SNS is samsung nexus S (it's what the coollazy kids are calling it)

At no point did I flash the recovery, just fastboot booted it from my pc's hard drive, did the nandroid backup (which as it just needs to read, requires no extra permissions, therefore no unlocked bootloader)

And I'm aware that it wipes all of the phone, which is why I did the pre-emptive nandroid.

I know what I'm doing, I'm just not doing it yet.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.
A while back I rooted my friends lg ally for her so she could use wifi tethering. Today there was apparently a system update and it broke the root I had done, and I hadn't made a nandroid just because it seemed un needed. Well now I can't seem to get it to re root with z4root. Even after a factory reset, which I think just deleted all user data, I can't get it to root, but the superuser icon is still in the app drawer. I'm guessing the only solution is to use adb to fix it but I'm not too sure. Anyone have any insight on this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Primworm posted:

A while back I rooted my friends lg ally for her so she could use wifi tethering. Today there was apparently a system update and it broke the root I had done, and I hadn't made a nandroid just because it seemed un needed. Well now I can't seem to get it to re root with z4root. Even after a factory reset, which I think just deleted all user data, I can't get it to root, but the superuser icon is still in the app drawer. I'm guessing the only solution is to use adb to fix it but I'm not too sure. Anyone have any insight on this?
I don't know how to fix your problem but now you know to always make a nandroid.

That said, I'm sure there will be a root exploit for the Ally update that just rolled out. Keep checking xda and hope it comes soon.

Edit:

deong posted:

I think I read today in the thread for that kitchen that while the battery circle works for CM7, a lot of other things do not so make sure you're nandroiding between flashes.

That might be old info though. Truthfully I was waiting for that kitchen to work for the battery circle before moving to CM7, right now the only thing holding me back are worries about the Dialer "wonkiness" that plague the threads on it (although I think I have the same issues in CM6.1.1).

Is everyone still happy with CM7 on their N1s? Some positivity might move me off the fence.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 22, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Is everyone still happy with CM7 on their N1s? Some positivity might move me off the fence.

I'm happy with it but I'm one of the people that's having Dialer issues. I can dial out just fine but I'd say that half the calls I receive the phone just locks up when I try to answer it. People in the nightly thread seem really split on the issue.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
If I root my desire are there any roms that will let me use a portion of my SD card as internal memory?

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
Just rooted a friend's Samsung Captivate with the one click-rooting method shown in the OP. Superuser is installed and root is grated to applications like Ad Free and Titanium Backup, however ROM Manager will not flash Clockworkmod Recovery. It downloads, but stops there and doesn't flash. I've searched around and I'm not sure exactly why it won't flash the recovery image. What should I do?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Just rooted and dicked around with some things for the first time (found out my DX works phenominal at 1.3 overclock woot).

I made a nandroid backup using Koush's bootstrapper, followed up with a titanium backup and then copied the entire contents of my SD card to my laptop.

I just downloaded Liberty 1.0, after hearing great things, and I'm just making sure I haven't forgotten anything. I think I'm ready to load up my first rom, but I don't wanna turn my upper-mid range phone into an upper-mid range paper weight--am I forgetting anything?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I changed ROM and radios just about the same day (on an EVO using Fresh). Since then I have noticed an intermittent problem connecting to an open WiFi network and that leaving WiFi on and not connected will drain the battery much more quickly than it used to. Can anyone say whether these issues definitely a radio or a ROM problem or would I have to tinker to figure out which?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

tehfox0r posted:

Just rooted a friend's Samsung Captivate with the one click-rooting method shown in the OP. Superuser is installed and root is grated to applications like Ad Free and Titanium Backup, however ROM Manager will not flash Clockworkmod Recovery. It downloads, but stops there and doesn't flash. I've searched around and I'm not sure exactly why it won't flash the recovery image. What should I do?

I'm pretty sure you have to reboot into recovery (the default one) and click reinstall packages, which flashes the new clockwork recovery. I actually did the same to my girlfriend's Captivate earlier today. I haven't talked her into letting me install any custom ROMs yet, though.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm wanting to purchase a tablet to complement my Droid X. Looking at the Nook, Viewsonic G-Tablet, eLocity A7

Nook: Basically the same specs as the DX/D2, has a large rooting following, cheapest out of the group, however 2+ week wait

G-Tablet: Large rooting following, can run CM6.1 and apparently CM7.0, largest screen, Tegra 2, most expensive at $380 locally.

eLocity A7: Already rooted, doesn't look like many 3rd party roms out, is Tegra powered, smallest community out of the 3, $300.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Posted here instead of the Android Device thread since rooting/3rd party roms is going to influence my decision.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 24, 2011

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

I'm wanting to purchase a tablet to complement my Droid X. Looking at the Nook, Viewsonic G-Tablet, eLocity A7

Nook: Basically the same specs as the DX/D2, has a large rooting following, cheapest out of the group, however 2+ week wait

I picked up a Nook Color about a week ago or so, the Barnes and Noble I went to had plenty in stock. So far I really like it, the most I have done is just to root it. Which was pretty painless, have yet to try any of the ROMs out for it. I figure I'm going to wait until there are a few more people out there working on it.

Edit: Also, for the price it can not be beat, I haven't seen any sluggishness with the B&N reader, though, at least on my screen, night reading to them is gray and not black. The only thing I am waiting on is for my cover to arrive, has taken them awhile to ship it to me.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

They had the theming options for the dinc on the #7 build, and it worked except for the volume screens.

From what I heard, CM7 isn't complete yet with UOT so I'm gonna wait.

skattered
Oct 5, 2005

Too many lies!
Too many lies!
Has anyone had any luck putting SenseUI on the TMo G2? The Desire Z is essentially the same phone with the SenseUI rom, so I assume it's possible. I've been unable to find concise instructions anywhere online.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

CloFan posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to reboot into recovery (the default one) and click reinstall packages, which flashes the new clockwork recovery.
ClockworkMod on the Galaxy S line uses a "fake flash", it's never actually flashed onto the phone, but rather temporarily takes over by doing as you said.

If you're using Captivate with the latest official (Eclair) ROM, you should have recovery 2e I think and everything should work fine. If you're running one of the Froyo leaks with recovery 3e, you won't be able to start ClockworkMod. The solution is to install a custom kernel which either contains recovery 2e, or a recovery 3e with test-keys (assuming Captivate's ClockworkMod is signed with them).

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Just wanted to say that I am currently running the Andromeda ROM on my Galaxy S Captivate and it is glorious. For anyone with that phone, I can't recommend that particular ROM enough. It's faster, the battery lasts longer, the GPS is more accurate, there is no bloatware, and it's PRETTY! Go check it out.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

skattered posted:

Has anyone had any luck putting SenseUI on the TMo G2? The Desire Z is essentially the same phone with the SenseUI rom, so I assume it's possible. I've been unable to find concise instructions anywhere online.

If I'm not mistaken (I have a desire z) Virtuous rom does this for the G2. You can install it through rom manager for extra easiness.

e: a quick trip to xda confirms that I'm not mistaken. It's designed for the G2.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 24, 2011

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I've installed it a couple of times on my G2, and it work just like it should.

That said, Sense is is pretty, but it's also lovely and if you just want something different, try the MIUI ROM.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
Anyone have a simple answer for this question with the least amount of hassle/headache?

chomper posted:

Sorry if this has been posted/answered before, I tried searching to no avail.

I have a rooted OG Droid 1 (2.2 Froyo - FRG22D). Stock ROM and stock everything except i'm using SetCPU and have some Metamorph theme files installed (new battery, wi-fi, etc. icons for the notification/status bar).
Do I need to unroot my phone to install this new OTA update that has been pushed to my phone? If so, how is this done?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Is there really any compelling reason to replace the ROM on my DX if I'm fine with the current speed? I rooted it and removed a dozen or so apps but I can't figure out why I'd want another ROM yet though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

benisntfunny posted:

Is there really any compelling reason to replace the ROM on my DX if I'm fine with the current speed? I rooted it and removed a dozen or so apps but I can't figure out why I'd want another ROM yet though.

You can get rid of all the Blur stuff, grouping in the add widget screen, better battery life (via undervolting and other optimizations), like a jillion themes, faster power on times, more settings and some other crap.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You can get rid of all the Blur stuff, grouping in the add widget screen, better battery life (via undervolting and other optimizations), like a jillion themes, faster power on times, more settings and some other crap.

Some of that stuff sounds pretty compelling (the battery part). Any particular ROM that is the most complete? I looked around on the web and there are a bunch but I didn't know if there was one that was considered the end all be all of DX roms.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

benisntfunny posted:

I just installed Liberty 1.0 last night, and it's faster, benchmarks better, has way more options, nicer pop up window transitions and even got rid of a force close issue I had when using a crappy phone charger.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

benisntfunny posted:

Some of that stuff sounds pretty compelling (the battery part). Any particular ROM that is the most complete? I looked around on the web and there are a bunch but I didn't know if there was one that was considered the end all be all of DX roms.

I'm using RubiX 1.9.5 which is using a GummyJar base. Any of the GummyJar-based ROMs seem pretty nice. Here's a good place to start: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-roms/

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If I were to root my HTC Desire for the purpose of getting more internal memory space would anything dramatically change with the day to day usage of it?

Like does HTC Sense etc. still work normally? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

Red_Fred posted:

If I were to root my HTC Desire for the purpose of getting more internal memory space would anything dramatically change with the day to day usage of it?

Like does HTC Sense etc. still work normally? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I think you need a new Rom so I'm guessing sense wouldn't work any more, i dont know anything else about it im afraid, if you find out anything or find a rom that lets you use SD for internal can you let me know please, don't have pm but my mail is inside.the.outside gmail .com

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've been using CM7 build 14 on my N1 for a day now. I wish I could say I liked it more than I do. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it (although I've received no phone calls) but I just don't see a lot of differences. I'm 99% sure I'm going to nandroid back to my CM6.1.1 install and see if miss anything I had in CM7.

It seemed like it was all aesthetics, as I like the screen off animation and dislike all the black everywhere. Once things move along further in CM7 development I might try to learn theming or whatnot but for right now it just doesn't have anything for me that CM6 didn't. :(

mea gulpa
May 25, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

I've been using Liberty 1.0, a newly released ROM done in part by the guy who worked on GummJar, and it's been pretty awesome so far. You can find it on that same link Doctor rear end in a top hat posted.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ScarletBrother posted:

Just wanted to say that I am currently running the Andromeda ROM on my Galaxy S Captivate and it is glorious. For anyone with that phone, I can't recommend that particular ROM enough. It's faster, the battery lasts longer, the GPS is more accurate, there is no bloatware, and it's PRETTY! Go check it out.

I just replaced Darky 8.1 with this because the Darky lime green/black theme was depressing the hell out of me (in all other aspects a great rom) and I have to agree, it is quite pretty, especially after I replaced that Giorgio Armani boot screen. Darky seemed a bit snappier and I haven't had a chance to put the GPS through a good test yet.

Then again the Darky 9.0.2 just came out with a way to customize the ROM with an app before you install it, so I'll be giving that a try as soon as I finish downloading it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I installed CM7 nightly yesterday and have no sound out the headphone jack, but always through the internal speaker.

Fix?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Craptacular! posted:

I installed CM7 nightly yesterday and have no sound out the headphone jack, but always through the internal speaker.

Fix?
I think the fix with the nightlys is to just revert back to the one that last worked for you. You're bound to hit problems.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Has anybody figured out a way to get the Gingerbread screen on/off animations in froyo? Is that even possible?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is it possible to hide application icons in the application list? I don't need or want to see things like 'Places' or 'Videos' or 'Latitude', etc. I also don't want to uninstall maps. There are half a dozen things in there that I would love to clean up, but for whatever reason can't really uninstall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Is it possible to hide application icons in the application list? I don't need or want to see things like 'Places' or 'Videos' or 'Latitude', etc. I also don't want to uninstall maps. There are half a dozen things in there that I would love to clean up, but for whatever reason can't really uninstall.

Yeah, if you use pretty much any other launcher than the stock one that came with your phone. Launcher Pro (and Plus), ADW Launcher (and EX) definitely let you do that pretty easily. I think Go Launcher and Zeam do it too but I never really checked them out that well.