Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Dammit, Jim, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! No, wait...
Uh, THIS ONE

(poo poo - the internet is not being kind to me and my images today - apologies)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

galliumscan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

co199 posted:

That's cause it's not a Spitfire! Looks like a Sea Fury if I ever saw one.
The Sea Fury is missing the inverted gullwing, it's probably a Vought F4U Corsair.

E: gently caress, I spent all of this time trying to remember the Corsair when I could have just clicked on the link for the posters...

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 23, 2011

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I want that Corsair pop art like you have no idea.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Here's a cool picture of a B-1:

Click here for the full 1936x1040 image.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Post WW2 prop fighters are hawt as hell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Just going to leave this nuclear ramjet engine here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ola posted:

I can't believe how much time I spent playing Aces of the Pacific. Grinding out mission after mission, all of them exactly the same, in the hope that I'd soon move to a new phase or get a medal or whatever.

Does anyone remember a Harrier sim which had a pretty good campaign? I remember it being cutting edge graphics wise in its day, but only played the demo that came with a UK magazine. It could be that it had a poo poo campaign, but I seem to recall that was one of its selling points - Falklands I think.

Harrier Jump Jet by (guess...guess) yes, Microprose.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/harrier-jump-jet

I played all of the above as well. I really liked Red Baron and the sequel the best, I think.

Falcon aside, my favourite campaign system was in Eurofighter 2000. Featuring suitably depressing scenery :) ... I mean, the majestic rugged mountains of Scandiwegia of course. And it looked great (for 1995).

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Does anyone remember the old Microsoft Flight Simulator where you could adjust the shape and surface area of the wings on the planes? I wish they'd bring that back.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

OptimusMatrix posted:

Does anyone remember the old Microsoft Flight Simulator where you could adjust the shape and surface area of the wings on the planes? I wish they'd bring that back.

FS4. I still have it.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

CommieGIR posted:

Just going to leave this nuclear ramjet engine here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

Calling something like that "provocative" is an understatement and a half. It seems more like a Bond villain doomsday device than an actual weapon. That being said, it's amazingly cool and I sometimes wonder how advanced our civilization would be in a bizarro physics world where fission didn't result in all that pesky radioactivity.

My favorite part is the Coors ceramics. Silver bullet indeed.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Also, there was FST - Flight Simulator Toolkit I believe - that let you mess around with building your own planes. I do recall having trouble making anything that actually flew. Of course, I was in middle school. And usually stuck a dozen massive engines on what amounted to a twig. It was fun watching it spaz out!

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

AlmightyPants posted:

Also, there was FST - Flight Simulator Toolkit I believe - that let you mess around with building your own planes. I do recall having trouble making anything that actually flew. Of course, I was in middle school. And usually stuck a dozen massive engines on what amounted to a twig. It was fun watching it spaz out!

I think this is what the entire X-Plane franchise is for.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Saga posted:

Harrier Jump Jet by (guess...guess) yes, Microprose.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/harrier-jump-jet

I couldn't get the screens to match my memory, but it has to be that one I suppose - although I'm still thinking there was one out in 93 - 94 with better graphics. I tried EF2000 years after its release because it had Norwegian scenery, but don't remember trying the campaign...will have to read up on it now!

I played Falcon 4.0 in revamped edition with some other mods (it's a joke every time someone explains what Falcon 4.0 they're playing) just a few weeks ago. My attention span for gaming is incredibly short these days, but running that campaign tweaked to your liking and with no crashes is simmer's heaven.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Nerobro posted:

FS4. I still have it.

:allears: Only in that flight sim was I able to recreate the flying shape of the bat plane.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Speaking of Aeronautical Insanity, the latest Carter Copter has made it's first vertical takeoff.

Considerably scaled down from the last tech demonstrator they landed wheels up and wrecked.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

dayman posted:

Calling something like that "provocative" is an understatement and a half. It seems more like a Bond villain doomsday device than an actual weapon. That being said, it's amazingly cool and I sometimes wonder how advanced our civilization would be in a bizarro physics world where fission didn't result in all that pesky radioactivity.

My favorite part is the Coors ceramics. Silver bullet indeed.

The way I understand it, nobody was sure that the bugs could be worked out of ICBMs, so the government hedged its bets by green-lighting Project Pluto. The engine itself is a masterpiece of engineering, though the final vehicle would have been virtually untestable, unfieldable, and unusable in all but the most dire circumstances. Also, it's doubtful it ever would have worked as designed, given the problems the D-21 drone had.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

All this talk of Flight Sims made me think of this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8688029843119861402

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nothus posted:

The way I understand it, nobody was sure that the bugs could be worked out of ICBMs, so the government hedged its bets by green-lighting Project Pluto. The engine itself is a masterpiece of engineering, though the final vehicle would have been virtually untestable, unfieldable, and unusable in all but the most dire circumstances. Also, it's doubtful it ever would have worked as designed, given the problems the D-21 drone had.

None the less it operated for 5 minutes and put out an immense amount of thrust.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

slidebite posted:

All this talk of Flight Sims made me think of this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8688029843119861402

Haha. They both praise the virtues of the sim, yet some things just remain different.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

dietcokefiend posted:

:allears: Only in that flight sim was I able to recreate the flying shape of the bat plane.

Imperial shuttle! :science:

e: it didn't work very well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ola posted:

Haha. They both praise the virtues of the sim, yet some things just remain different.

That entire episode really deserves to be watched in its entirety. It's an amazing flashback to a time with a show that's very professional and polished and people gushing about the utter realism and amazing graphics of the sims.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

slidebite posted:

That entire episode really deserves to be watched in its entirety. It's an amazing flashback to a time with a show that's very professional and polished and people gushing about the utter realism and amazing graphics of the sims.

Nothing is more professional than a man with extendable antennae on his head.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lord Commissar posted:

Nothing is more professional than a man with extendable antennae on his head.
Uh, except that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

slidebite posted:

Yeah, watched it all now. It was a pretty good show. One wonders what they would have made of simming like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsPjn1L0elw

Of course, they would never know. They're all long since passed away.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
I steward at Goodwood Festival of Speed just for fun, and as part of the job we have to go and maintain closure on various paths to keep a safe ditching zone. The low passes take place over this area, with the Red Arrows & Vulcan doing repeated passes over the weekend insanely close above. I get paid money to stand track side for the car event and near enough directly underneath the airshows. It's better than paying £50 for a ticket.

I've never managed to get a video of it (we'd get told off), but it's exactly like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djd1pPQZ_LE

Shivers up my spine just thinking about it.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

blambert posted:

I've never managed to get a video of it (we'd get told off), but it's exactly like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djd1pPQZ_LE

Holy mother... :stare:

Need to watch more videos like this.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Saw that vulcan link and the next link YT gave me was this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIJOE_DC-n8&NR=1&feature=fvwp.
How does that not stall? Looks like the pilot eased off on the angle near the blue sky background between the cloudy background and it may have come close to stalling?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 26, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Saw that vulcan link and the next link YT gave me was this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIJOE_DC-n8&NR=1&feature=fvwp.
How does that not stall? Looks like the pilot eased off on the angle near the blue sky background between the cloudy background and it may have come close to stalling?

Fuckloads of thrust, basically. You can fly at steep climb angles but with moderate angle of attack if you have enough speed. The fight between speed and gravity is prolonged by thrust. In the case of a Vulcan, gravity will win quite soon so the pilot pitches down to a climb angle the engines can support as the speed drops.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Fo3 posted:

I think partly due to the properties of the delta wing and partly due to low fuel loads and no bombs aboard. I don't think they do such hard take-offs any more because they're reaching the fatigue life of the airframe. :(

I've read this book recently and it's a great insight into the Black Buck raids and how close it was to being a real mess. And how they had to scrounge parts from junkyards and bodge solutions together to get enough operational airframes. (One such idea was that because the Victors had no defences, they'd fill the airbrake panels up with foil strips so when they popped the brakes, it dumped a load out as a make-shift single use chaff dispenser)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vulcan-607-Rowland-White/dp/0593053915

It inspired me to create this infographic poster on it:

It stills needs some work as I need to show how some of the first tankers came back, refuelled and went up again to collect the returning crews. Also the first actual mission didn't go according to plan due to various malfunctions so I want to show how it really panned out.

Manny fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 26, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow thanks for that! I was just trying to visualize the cascading amounts of tankers just the other day.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Manny posted:

I've read this book recently and it's a great insight into the Black Buck raids and how close it was to being a real mess. And how they had to scrounge parts from junkyards and bodge solutions together to get enough operational airframes. (One such idea was that because the Victors had no defences, they'd fill the airbrake panels up with foil strips so when they popped the brakes, it dumped a load out as a make-shift single use chaff dispenser)

IIRC They did much the same with the Harriers at the start of the Falklands war :)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Red Bull have some very nice toys.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I wonder how much a surplus Cobra runs. That'd be a way to one-up the Johnsons.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

co199 posted:

I wonder how much a surplus Cobra runs. That'd be a way to one-up the Johnsons.
The Monster guy had to run out and buy an Apache :colbert:

Apparently, Cobras could be had relatively cheap when the Army phased them out in the late 90s, as DRMO was selling them for scrap/salvage to the highest bidder. From what I understand, takes about $1M and about 2000 man-hours to restore a good condition "scrap" Cobra to flying condition.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 29, 2011

co199
Oct 28, 2009

grover posted:

The Monster guy had to run out and buy an Apache :colbert:

Apparently, Cobras could be had relatively cheap when the Army phased them out in the late 90s, as DRMO was selling them for scrap/salvage to the highest bidder. From what I understand, takes about $1M and about 2000 man-hours to restore a good condition "scrap" Cobra to flying condition.

That's not really a huge obstacle, I suppose. If you're in a position to buy vintage or surplus aircraft, that's probably a pretty small number comparatively. I bet the Corsair, Lightning and Mitchell in that link are worth far more.

If I were independently wealthy, I'd find a way to purchase a couple mothballed fighters. Wouldn't restore them to flying condition, but museum piece quality for sure. Oh, you have a Ferrari? Yeah, check out my Phantom.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

2ndclasscitizen posted:

A restored DC-6 that they take out on weekends :swoon:

e: and a B-25J, and P-38

That is SO COOL

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Manny posted:

I think partly due to the properties of the delta wing and partly due to low fuel loads and no bombs aboard. I don't think they do such hard take-offs any more because they're reaching the fatigue life of the airframe. :(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vulcan-607-Rowland-White/dp/0593053915

It inspired me to create this infographic poster on it:

It stills needs some work as I need to show how some of the first tankers came back, refuelled and went up again to collect the returning crews. Also the first actual mission didn't go according to plan due to various malfunctions so I want to show how it really panned out.

That is just awesome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr-Spain posted:

That is just awesome.

Its like a Rube Goldberg Machine of Aircraft

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hypnolobster posted:

A restored DC-6 that they take out on weekends :swoon:

e: and a B-25J, and P-38

That is SO COOL

That guy is literally living the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You know all those cool low flying jet pics you see on airliners.net? Here's a video shot from a popular hill where such photos are taken, located in the "Mach Loop" in Wales. The actual geographic name is spelled something like Llewicellenthellecaecythellyew probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-7zHlOi4T4

Wanna go there some day with a long lens and play jet spotter.

edit: and probably get into some Freudian conundrum looking at the lenses of the regulars and the day job of the pilots.