Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

So, does anyone know what the gently caress is up with all this Clone Wars, Dathomirian Zabrak Nightbrothers stuff? I remembered reading a while ago that Clone Wars was going to have a Dathomir episode(s) and recently that Darth Maul's brother would be showing up. From what little info I've found they seemed to have combined those, which just sounds like all kinds of retarded.

I thought it was pretty confusing too, but the most recent episode had a few lines of explanatory dialogue (I'm floored that they even bothered) saying that their home planet is Iridonia, but for some reason there's a bunch of them on this lame witch planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot

Suenteus Po posted:

Wait, what? Did this get added in one of the Special Editions or something?

I recall an interview with Zahn where he said he picked a red-headed background extra out of the Jabba's palace scene in Return of the Jedi, and developed the character from there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

They've retconned her into being a dancer in the RotJ radio drama. She already had a comic though, it wasn't bad.

It wasn't really a retcon, the ROTJ radio drama wasn't made until the mid-1990s and Brian Daley deliberately put in Mara Jade, since she was established as being one of the dancers there...I think even in Heir to the Empire?

Anyway the ROTJ radio drama is actually pretty good, I got it a few years ago when Barnes and Noble had some big sale of it. John Lithgow is Yoda, Ed Asner is Jabba, Ed Begley Jr. is Fett and Yeardley Smith is Jabba's torture droid. And of course I think Anthony Daniels is the only actor from the movie to reprise the role. Is there anything he won't voice Threepio for?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm a Zahn fanboy and I liked Allegiance. I found it an enjoyable stand-alone book not weighed down by "SHITS GETTIN' REAL UP IN THIS SON" bull-poo poo or unnecessary multi-book arcs (although I guess that's not entirely true with this new novel). The only thing that kind of weighed it down was the shoe-horned in trio, but I didn't mind it because Zahn and Stover are the only two guys who can write them well and I just liked to pretend that the publisher held a gun to his head and told him to make it happen.

And his Stormtroopers are a million times better than that Mando-bullshit by you know who.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Z. Beeblebrox IV posted:

I recall an interview with Zahn where he said he picked a red-headed background extra out of the Jabba's palace scene in Return of the Jedi, and developed the character from there.

Into the Hand of the Emperor? That's a hell of a writing technique.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of the Clone Wars cartoon, I don't watch it but I did hear recently that Liam Neeson is going to be playing Qui-Gon in an upcoming episode (appearing as a vision/ghost to Obi Wan.)

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Doc Hawkins posted:

Into the Hand of the Emperor? That's a hell of a writing technique.

Was it Tales from Jabba's palace or Heir to the Empire?

I remember a story where she posed as an entertainer or something in Jabba's palace with orders from the Emperor to kill Luke so that Vader could be kept in line. She intended on sabotaging Luke's escape plan, but Jabba didn't want her on the sail barge for some reason. She was then trying to intercept him on Endor but didn't arrive until it was too late.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

LLJKSiLk posted:

Was it Tales from Jabba's palace or Heir to the Empire?

I remember a story where she posed as an entertainer or something in Jabba's palace with orders from the Emperor to kill Luke so that Vader could be kept in line. She intended on sabotaging Luke's escape plan, but Jabba didn't want her on the sail barge for some reason. She was then trying to intercept him on Endor but didn't arrive until it was too late.

Yeah, she explains this to Luke in Heir of the Empire I'm pretty sure, while she's got him in custody in the storage units or whatnot (or maybe when they're out in the forest).

In other news, finally made it through all 105 pages of this thread to catch up, woo hoo! I'm playing through TFU at the moment, and I just want to cry. Killing Jawas is hilariously fun, I just ignore all the story bits. (echoing the sentiments here x10000)

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

movax posted:

In other news, finally made it through all 105 pages of this thread to catch up, woo hoo! I'm playing through TFU at the moment, and I just want to cry. Killing Jawas is hilariously fun, I just ignore all the story bits. (echoing the sentiments here x10000)

Do not buy FU2, rent it, because it's really short. I rarely complain about games being short, but FU2 is really loving short. But get the Endor DLC and the Tatooine and the Hoth DLC because you get to be deliciously evil in a non-canon way.

Those games have dumb stories, and they're pretty average, but I've been waiting forever to play as a Jedi like that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Someone asked this earlier, but I didn't see a response: do any of the EU authors do anything with midichlorians? Or do even the dumbest of them know to steer clear of even casually mentioning them?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mahoshonen posted:

Someone asked this earlier, but I didn't see a response: do any of the EU authors do anything with midichlorians? Or do even the dumbest of them know to steer clear of even casually mentioning them?

In the books with Kyp Duron, Luke has some stupid force scanner machine. He waves it around Kyp and it gives him some bright red aura warning. This was before the prequels though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

In the books with Kyp Duron, Luke has some stupid force scanner machine. He waves it around Kyp and it gives him some bright red aura warning. This was before the prequels though.

I like to think of it as a force-scanning ping pong paddle. Luckily for Wedge, he didn't have any aura whatsoever when Luke paddled, er, scanned him. Making Wedge a Jedi would have ruined his character.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

movax posted:

I like to think of it as a force-scanning ping pong paddle. Luckily for Wedge, he didn't have any aura whatsoever when Luke paddled, er, scanned him. Making Wedge a Jedi would have ruined his character.

The machine didn't have an indication for "totally badass."

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't think Luke used it, iirc. I think someone (Lando?) found it in some building in Coruscant that was being demolished which turned out to be some office or storage area for the Emperor's Jedi Purge, back when it was thought to be a systematic hunt rather than a clone montage.

I think in that same book, Luke figured out how to press a spot on people's brains that caused a Force Push(tm) reflex. Luke, Leia, and Kyp had a big reflex but poor Han had none. Ie, measured Force potential not badass potential.

e:f,b

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

I think in that same book, Luke figured out how to press a spot on people's brains that caused a Force Push(tm) reflex. Luke, Leia, and Kyp had a big reflex but poor Han had none. Ie, measured Force potential not badass potential.

Force push(tm) also demo'd in I, Jedi on Corran, but that was basically around the same time as Jedi Academy trilogy. I love how Stackpole wrote in his character into someone else's trilogy without breaking a sweat :allears:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
How old are Luke, Han and Leia in the "present day" in the EU then?

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

Derek Dominoe posted:

I don't think Luke used it, iirc. I think someone (Lando?) found it in some building in Coruscant that was being demolished which turned out to be some office or storage area for the Emperor's Jedi Purge, back when it was thought to be a systematic hunt rather than a clone montage.

e:f,b

I read very few EU books. I would check them out of the library when I read them, but is that the same book where some Imperials were stuck in a black hole cluster and they were building a Death Star without being aware of the destruction of the first one and they also were building a ship with a metal alloy that was unbreakable. The ending involved Luke getting in the ship and I vaguely recall him ramming a hole through Star Destroyers and other ships with this invincible alloy ship.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Donkey Kunt posted:

I read very few EU books. I would check them out of the library when I read them, but is that the same book where some Imperials were stuck in a black hole cluster and they were building a Death Star without being aware of the destruction of the first one and they also were building a ship with a metal alloy that was unbreakable. The ending involved Luke getting in the ship and I vaguely recall him ramming a hole through Star Destroyers and other ships with this invincible alloy ship.

The one you're thinking of is one of the Sun Crusher books, that invincible alloy ship. I don't know if the Force Push thing happened in it though. I just remember that being the silliest EU book I read until The Crystal Star.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Donkey Kunt posted:

You've basically got that right.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Z. Beeblebrox IV posted:

That's practically useless info. It could almost literally be anyone then, aside from Yoda. Mara Jade is technically a character from the movies.

Edit: NM, answer on the previous page. Kind of dumb.

Wait, how is Mara Jade a character in the movies?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 24, 2011

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

qntm posted:

How old are Luke, Han and Leia in the "present day" in the EU then?

As of the latest book, they are something like 63. I don't know how much older han is over luke and leia, but the fate of the jedi series is set in 43-44 ABY.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Z. Beeblebrox IV posted:

There's a woman who is dressed very similar to the woman on the Arica SWCCG card that's in the frame for a few seconds in the widescreen version of RotJ. I didn't see anything about it but I could swear I remember seeing her when I was a pre-teen and cared about such things.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

movax posted:

Force push(tm) also demo'd in I, Jedi on Corran, but that was basically around the same time as Jedi Academy trilogy. I love how Stackpole wrote in his character into someone else's trilogy without breaking a sweat :allears:

To be fair, I, Jedi is like a million times better than the Jedi Academy trilogy.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dragging this up from a few pages back, but this was all I could see when I saw that picture.

:effort:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I'm sure the odds are very high this has already been asked, but did the EU even bother to give an explanation as to the Jedi having no clue about Darth Sidious after Episode I when they capture Nute Gunray? Don't all the stories make a big deal about the Trade Federation guys being huge cowards and you'd think they would at least interrogate him thoroughly since he was hanging around with Maul even if he did end up not getting convicted of anything... but it seems like as far as a lot of stories are concerned they couldn't even figure out Darth Maul's name (though sometimes they say it, like in the latest Clone Wars episode).

There's a woman who is dressed very similar to the woman on the Arica SWCCG card that's in the frame for a few seconds in the widescreen version of RotJ. I didn't see anything about it but I could swear I remember seeing her when I was a pre-teen and cared about such things.

Are you sure? I never saw anything like that. There's the CCG card but obviously that was with the new model the card game people hired to get that shot. The only other women in Jabba's Palace I remember prior to special Edition were Leia, Oola, the six-breasted lady, and some lanky looking brunette in kind of a purple jumpsuit.
(And Sy Snootles I guess... :goonsay:)

I guess it's possible but I would just be surprised that it hasn't been all over the internet with a lot of wookieepedia kiddies theorizing on how her appearance is notably different from the images we were given later but both are completely canon and in fact the old image is better because it's G-canon and herp a derp :psyboom:...

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 25, 2011

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm pretty sure some :spergin: wanted the lady that was used for the card game to have a cameo in the Special Editions, but Jorge didn't do it.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm pretty sure some :spergin: wanted the lady that was used for the card game to have a cameo in the Special Editions, but Jorge didn't do it.

It would've have to have been for the DVD versions, since the Special Editions predate the model that played Mara Jade. And by that point, Decipher had ceased to exist, so I don't know if she even had any connections to Lucasfilm.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I remember that card game. Me and my friends could never figure it out. Then one day, we went to the mall, and were absolutely amazed when we saw somebody playing it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

I remember that card game. Me and my friends could never figure it out. Then one day, we went to the mall, and were absolutely amazed when we saw somebody playing it.

It's needlessly complex and a lot of the sets have their own rules which make it more complex and difficult. It was really a hallmark of a time when people didn't have that many choices or "know any better" when it came to card games. The only highlight of it was the Reflections II set with all the models dressed like EU characters.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

It's needlessly complex and a lot of the sets have their own rules which make it more complex and difficult. It was really a hallmark of a time when people didn't have that many choices or "know any better" when it came to card games. The only highlight of it was the Reflections II set with all the models dressed like EU characters.

Mike Stackpole modeled for Corran Horn. :ironicat:

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE
Found a Korean blog where the guy is building a 1/8000 scale model of the Executor. At 171 cm long he thinks it'll be the largest one besides the studio model.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

NeonTurtle posted:

Found a Korean blog where the guy is building a 1/8000 scale model of the Executor. At 171 cm long he thinks it'll be the largest one besides the studio model.

That's beautiful. The Executor has always been my favorite ship in the series, simply because it reeks of overkill.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Mike Stackpole modeled for Corran Horn. :ironicat:

Timothy Zahn modeled for Talon Karrde. At least Zahn looked like the character he was portraying on the card.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Female EU character? Get a hawt professional model. Male EU character? Get a beer-bellied EU author, I mean, whatever.

Though unlike Corran/Stackpole you never get the sense that Zahn really thinks of Karrde as this avatar to the Star Wars galaxy that he just uses to shoot pew-pew lasers and bang otters.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
After picking up the Tales from the Empire book and reading through the Rogue Squadron series for the first time in years, I'm seriously sick of Corran loving Horn. I Jedi was ok but holy poo poo why does every Stackpole story have to be about the guy and how awesome he is at everything.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
That was one of the areas where I thought Aaron Allston really outshone Michael Stackpole in the X-Wing series. Wraith Squadron focused pretty heavily on Kell but Allston recognized afterward that Kell's story had been wrapped up pretty well and shifted the focus around. He didn't really hit everyone with the spotlight, but he got enough of the characters that it didn't really feel like any one of them was his self-insert.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What. My 7 year old brother figured it out well enough for us to play. All we have now are magic and WoW TCGs...nothing that lets you snipe through Jabba's palace at someone near the Sarlaac next door while you steal their TIE fighter playing sabacc. I'm sad that the license was given to WOTC (guess why: they're owned by hasbro) to make their stupid game which failed within a year. We might still have SWCCG if it weren't for that. :(

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Fox of Stone posted:

What. My 7 year old brother figured it out well enough for us to play. All we have now are magic and WoW TCGs...nothing that lets you snipe through Jabba's palace at someone near the Sarlaac next door while you steal their TIE fighter playing sabacc. I'm sad that the license was given to WOTC (guess why: they're owned by hasbro) to make their stupid game which failed within a year. We might still have SWCCG if it weren't for that. :(

In fairness, Decipher was horrible at balancing games and at managing their company. There was no way they could've lasted to this point anyway. The incredibly meager results of the "Player's Committee" that's governed SWCCG since Decipher lost the license shows how well the game holds up without pretty new cards being printed every few months.

(I was Star Trek CCG State Champion one year, and I still have decks for both Wars and Trek sleeved up in a box in my closet. :smith: )

edit: And yeah, I taught my sister to play the game at age 9 well enough for her to win a couple of games in a tournament. For both SWCCG and STCCG.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The hilarious part about the TCG is that it's a source for artwork for characters/ships/things that would otherwise never be pictured. 9 times out of 10, when I click to see the source of a pic on Wookieepedia, it's from the TCG.

Like apparently two random pilots (DS-14443 and DS-14444 or something) that you see for seconds standing in the bay in ROTJ get backstory and names in the TCG. It's :psyduck:

movax fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

movax posted:

Like apparently two random pilots (DS-14443 and DS-14444 or something) that you see for seconds standing in the bay in ROTJ get backstory and names in the TCG. It's :psyduck:

The card game is the only reason why I can name each of the aliens in the cantina as well as their histories. And that when Luke screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! down the cloud city shaft, there were 13 O's.

Suenteus Po posted:

In fairness, Decipher was horrible at balancing games and at managing their company. There was no way they could've lasted to this point anyway. The incredibly meager results of the "Player's Committee" that's governed SWCCG since Decipher lost the license shows how well the game holds up without pretty new cards being printed every few months.

(I was Star Trek CCG State Champion one year, and I still have decks for both Wars and Trek sleeved up in a box in my closet. :smith: )

edit: And yeah, I taught my sister to play the game at age 9 well enough for her to win a couple of games in a tournament. For both SWCCG and STCCG.
Yeah, I think you're kinda right with the first point since you can see how well they did with their proprietary card game like .hack and WARS. But, you can argue that's after they've already lost several designers after cutting down after stopping SWCCG/STCCG/LOTR and all. However, my history is fuzzy at this point.

I still have my old decks too. Didn't win state champs but we did well in states/regionals whenever we did them. My favorite decks were the weird ones like ISB with star destroyers or rebel scouts on endor with podracing. How the hell they work I don't know. :psyduck: Sometimes I still play them with my brother. :smith: