Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Elijya posted:

I have no interest in Devil, and I've always heard the cube sequels sucked. But can anyone name anything similar?

Cube 2: Hypercube is actually pretty fun if you go into it with the right attitude. I enjoyed it, especially the look of it. The cinematography and direction is by this guy Andrzej Sekuła who has done some good cinematography work. He worked on Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Oleanna, and American Psycho, among others.

Cube Zero is intolerable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

codyclarke posted:

Cube 2: Hypercube is actually pretty fun if you go into it with the right attitude. I enjoyed it, especially the look of it. The cinematography and direction is by this guy Andrzej Sekuła who has done some good cinematography work. He worked on Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Oleanna, and American Psycho, among others.

Cube Zero is intolerable though.

I am the exact opposite. Cube Zero had a few redeeming parts (the parts inside the Cube tried to remain faithful to the first) but Cube 2: Hypercube was horrible and an excuse for someone to use the visual style of the set from the first movie and add bizarre effects (the one that sticks out the most involved antigravity sex that goes on so long in a time vacuum that the characters turn into skeletons) without bothering to make anything else work.

Characters literally run away from whirling shapes and walls of CGI. It was horrible.

As for movies for you to watch, Elijya, I've been on sort of the same binge with sci-fi, group elimination, "puzzle prison" (I want that term to catch on) films.

I'd definitely watch Fermat's Room and Timecrimes. I'd shy away from The Killing Room and Hunger. The Method was interesting enough (and most similar to the plot of Exam) but it's hit or miss at times towards the end.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Any watchable or good movies that resemble Easy Rider? Mainly loving the dabbling with hippie counter-culture, great soundtrack and the fact it's a road movie.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

These Loving Eyes posted:

Any watchable or good movies that resemble Easy Rider? Mainly loving the dabbling with hippie counter-culture, great soundtrack and the fact it's a road movie.
More light-hearted than Easy Rider, I think you might like Alice's Restaurant

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyYfXc0K_7U

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Elijya posted:

I just watched Exam and enjoyed it thoroughly. I was thinking of some elements it had in common with a few other movies I've enjoyed, such as The Man From Earth, Moon, Sunshine, and Cube: All have small casts in small locations over a small period of time, have some sci-fi element to them and almost exclusively deal with a single premise through the film, exploring many sides to it rather than having subplots. To a certain degree a few other films may fall under this, such as Dawn of the Dead, Event Horizon, 300 (minus the scenes not from the book) although they're a bit bigger and have a few more locations. In most cases there's a mystery or a conclusion you clearly feel they're headed towards, and the cast may be picked off one by one (elements which admittedly reduce the value of rewatching it)

I have no interest in Devil, and I've always heard the cube sequels sucked. But can anyone name anything similar?
Silent Running. And Eden Log again.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

More light-hearted than Easy Rider, I think you might like Alice's Restaurant

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyYfXc0K_7U

Looks like just the right thing, thanks. I just wish there were more movies exploring the youth movements in the late 60s, early 70s setting.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Looks like just the right thing, thanks. I just wish there were more movies exploring the youth movements in the late 60s, early 70s setting.

You might want to check out the Billy Jack movies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqXvqaBw_iA

Stuff like Bonnie & Clyde and Five Easy Pieces both sort of qualify - road trip movies that had a lot of youth culture appeal. Because of the emergence of 'new hollywood' - legitimized partly by Easy Rider - a lot of stuff from artsy fartsy fare to low budget exploitation fell under the countercultural umbrella.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, Vanishing Point, and Two Lane Blacktop are all cult classics that are up that alley.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This should be an easy one. I recently watched The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (the original) and thought it was the poo poo.

What are other 70s gritty crime/thriller movies? Urban setting preferred, but not necessary. I've already seen The French Connection, which is another good example of what I'm after.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It's not a cop movie like your 2 examples but Marathon Man is a must see.

Serpico isn't really a thriller but fits the other criteria well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

This should be an easy one. I recently watched The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (the original) and thought it was the poo poo.

What are other 70s gritty crime/thriller movies? Urban setting preferred, but not necessary. I've already seen The French Connection, which is another good example of what I'm after.

Maybe The Conversation, Three Days of the Condor, Taxi Driver, or the original Assault on Precinct 13?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Blast Fantasto posted:

In addition to the others mentioned, maybe the first few Dirty Harry movies; blaxploitation flicks like Shaft, Superfly and The Mack; Peckinpah's The Getaway or Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia (BMTHAG is set in Mexico, non-urban, but still rules); and other assorted movies like Mean Streets, The Seven-Ups, and Friends of Eddie Croyle.

Most of those stray from the police procedural template, but they're all great and fall under the (kind of broad) crime/thriller genre.

Also, if you haven't seen it, Zodiac does a terrific job of recreating and commenting on elements of those movies.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

The original Vanishing Point. Go rent it now!

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA4ymmXa8rs

I see someone did recommend it but I will follow that up with the trailer and an endorsement to definitely check it out. It's essentially a chase movie but there's a lot of counter culture element to it.

Butthole Prince fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 24, 2011

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

morestuff posted:

In addition to the others mentioned, maybe the first few Dirty Harry movies; blaxploitation flicks like Shaft, Superfly and The Mack; Peckinpah's The Getaway or Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia (BMTHAG is set in Mexico, non-urban, but still rules); and other assorted movies like Mean Streets, The Seven-Ups, and Friends of Eddie Croyle.

Most of those stray from the police procedural template, but they're all great and fall under the (kind of broad) crime/thriller genre.

Also, if you haven't seen it, Zodiac does a terrific job of recreating and commenting on elements of those movies.

Dirty Harry, Shaft and Superfly I've already seen. The Mack and Friends of Eddie Coyle I've always wanted to see, but never have, so I just shot those to the top of my netflix.

Thanks!

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions! I watched Alice's Restaurant (enjoyed it more as a curiosity rather than a film) and Vanishing Points which was great for what it was.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
I just watched "The Decline of Western Civilization 2: The Metal Years" and thought it was a great documentary. I am aware of the other 2 films in the series; but I am looking for other documentaries that showcase different music scenes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

KevinHeaven posted:

I just watched "The Decline of Western Civilization 2: The Metal Years" and thought it was a great documentary. I am aware of the other 2 films in the series; but I am looking for other documentaries that showcase different music scenes.

The first Decline is definitely worthwhile. Scratch is an excellent look at the turntablism scene.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

KevinHeaven posted:

Heavy Metal Baghdad is really interesting. Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Global Metal are pretty good too.

animal drums
Jul 8, 2010
hey, anyone know some good horror i can watch? i love getting baked and watching a good horror movie but i need more titles that aren't overly retarded. i just watched the house of the devil and rare exports, and they were excellent so i'd like some more in that vein.

for reference, i also enjoy really visually striking horror like cronos or the more horror-like segments of pan's labrynth.

anyone have any recs?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

animal drums posted:

hey, anyone know some good horror i can watch? i love getting baked and watching a good horror movie but i need more titles that aren't overly retarded. i just watched the house of the devil and rare exports, and they were excellent so i'd like some more in that vein.

for reference, i also enjoy really visually striking horror like cronos or the more horror-like segments of pan's labrynth.

anyone have any recs?

Horror Primer

Suspenseful horror

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I really liked Ip Man and was wondering if anybody else could recommend some movies in the same vein?

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
STOP LEECHING IMAGES, DICKFACE

Ziir posted:

I really liked Ip Man and was wondering if anybody else could recommend some movies in the same vein?

Ip Man 2? :xd:

Otherwise Fist of Legend - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110200/

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Are there any movies that deal with the same subjects as The Truman Show? Something along the lines of the absurdity of modern-day reality-tv culture, or something along those lines. Furthermore, any movies that deal with the subject of surveillance, like Das Liebe der Anderen would be appreciated.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

csidle posted:

Are there any movies that deal with the same subjects as The Truman Show? Something along the lines of the absurdity of modern-day reality-tv culture, or something along those lines. Furthermore, any movies that deal with the subject of surveillance, like Das Liebe der Anderen would be appreciated.

Albert Brooks' Real Life is very good and ahead of its time.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

csidle posted:

You know how sometimes two movies with extremely similar premises are released very near to each other, and it's sort of obvious one was made to try and coast on any interest that's stirred in the topic by the other? (i.e. Deep Impact and Armageddon, Dante's Peak and Volcano, etc.) Well, The Truman Show had one of those too. It was called EdTV and it starred Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson and Ellen Degeneres. It is not a good movie by any means, but it is pretty much exactly what you asked for.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

csidle posted:

For 'thrillers', you could try My Little Eye which is Big Brother (the TV show)-like in its concept or Series 7: The Contenders for a more overt, and darker, satire of the extents the reality TV goes to in pursuit of 'entertainment'.

Thematically, The Running Man might suit you too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

Albert Brooks' Real Life is very good and ahead of its time.

It is good, but ahead of its time? Only in the sense that "An American Family" (which was already 5 years old when Brooks parodied it) was ahead of its time.

As for movies about surveillance, The Conversation and Blow Out leap to mind, and to a lesser degree, Caché.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

DiscoJ posted:

For 'thrillers', you could try My Little Eye which is Big Brother (the TV show)-like in its concept or Series 7: The Contenders for a more overt, and darker, satire of the extents the reality TV goes to in pursuit of 'entertainment'.

Thematically, The Running Man might suit you too.

I've always found Series 7:The Contenders to be one of my favorite takes on extreme reality tv.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

FitFortDanga posted:

It is good, but ahead of its time? Only in the sense that "An American Family" (which was already 5 years old when Brooks parodied it) was ahead of its time.

As a comedy, sure it is. Albert Brooks' style of humor is very popular nowadays. You can see it in Ricky Gervais, Larry David, even Seth Rogen somewhat. The whole 'egotistical protagonist' thing.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

codyclarke posted:

As a comedy, sure it is. Albert Brooks' style of humor is very popular nowadays. You can see it in Ricky Gervais, Larry David, even Seth Rogen somewhat. The whole 'egotistical protagonist' thing.

I like Albert Brooks. I think he is an influential comedian.

I have no idea what the term 'egotistical protagonist' means in relation to Albert Brooks as someone ahead of his time.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

Oh well, that's something else. I thought you meant ahead of its time in terms of the subject matter (i.e., reality TV).

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. Trying to get hold of a few of those over the week.

A friend of mine asked me if I knew any movies where a celebrity or significant person is being followed/stalked by a fan. I can only think of "The Fan" with Robert de Niro off the top of my head. Any ideas?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

csidle posted:

A friend of mine asked me if I knew any movies where a celebrity or significant person is being followed/stalked by a fan. I can only think of "The Fan" with Robert de Niro off the top of my head. Any ideas?

Also with DeNiro, and a must-see: The King of Comedy

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

csidle posted:

Play Misty for Me, Big Fan, another movie called The Fan from '81 with James Garner and Lauren Bacall, Chapter 27 (although these last two aren't great by any means).

I suppose Misery fits this theme as well, albeit loosely.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

csidle posted:

As far as surveillance in general goes, you might want to check out "The Anderson Tapes." Sean Connery is a criminal who plans to burglarize everyone who lives in an upscale apartment building... but everyone who's in on the plan happens to be under surveillance by one law enforcement agency or another.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

csidle posted:

The Conversation is the best film about surveillance I've seen, followed by Caché, which also conveniently provides a look at the opposite side of the equation.

korgy
Sep 16, 2006

I like the futuristic society sci-fi kind of movies such as Minority Report, I,Robot, and The Island. Anything else that might fit that category? (I have seen Blade Runner)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

korgy posted:

I like the futuristic society sci-fi kind of movies such as Minority Report, I,Robot, and The Island. Anything else that might fit that category? (I have seen Blade Runner)

Metropolis and Dark City fit the bill and are great movies. (If you watch Dark City, get the director's cut, the theatrical release spoils the entire film in the first five minutes.) Bicentennial Man not so much, but if you liked I, Robot it might still be worth a look.

EDIT: Logan's Run is fun too, in a gloriously cheesy sort of way. Imagine if Minority Report had come out in the 70's and involved 100% more suicide cults and evil computers.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 14, 2011

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

korgy posted:

Equilibrium is pretty silly but has good actors in it (Christian Bale, Sean "Boromir" Bean, Emily Watson) which makes it work. Cool gun battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
You guys spend a page and half talking about drug movies and no one mentions Spun or Party Monster? For shame.

csidle posted:

I'm reading about how the indians lived before America was discovered way back in the 15th and 16th century. Are there any good movies about this? Preferably about how it was before the Spanish discovered the land, but movies around that entire period will do.

I already mentioned The Mission but that has more to do with the European conquest and the clash of old vs new.

Elijya posted:

I just watched Exam and enjoyed it thoroughly. I was thinking of some elements it had in common with a few other movies I've enjoyed, such as The Man From Earth, Moon, Sunshine, and Cube: All have small casts in small locations over a small period of time, have some sci-fi element to them and almost exclusively deal with a single premise through the film, exploring many sides to it rather than having subplots. To a certain degree a few other films may fall under this, such as Dawn of the Dead, Event Horizon, 300 (minus the scenes not from the book) although they're a bit bigger and have a few more locations. In most cases there's a mystery or a conclusion you clearly feel they're headed towards, and the cast may be picked off one by one (elements which admittedly reduce the value of rewatching it)

Oh man, go watch Kontroll you will totally dig it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJQnWCPMrII
Its a really hard film to describe, lately I've taken to telling people its like Taxi Driver mixed with a bit of Scott Pilgrim. But people look at me all crazy-like when I say that.

• Locked thread