Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gyshall posted:

Speaking of No Country for Old Men, did anyone ever make a silenced shotgun that doesn't suck?

WME has a silencer for the hunting shotgun, and it is very fun to use.

Has anybody checked out the Happy Tactical Squad mod yet? Stupid name aside, it sounds like an interesting companion-based mod. The author describes it better than I can, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Has anybody checked out the Happy Tactical Squad mod yet? Stupid name aside, it sounds like an interesting companion-based mod. The author describes it better than I can, though.

It's good, my only criticism is that you basically get everything for free right off the bat, meaning you can leave goodsprings with a mob of people and start getting tons of caps for their kills. It seems like a common thread in all of the best NV mods that the mod author literally showers you with caps, plus having that many followers right off the bat makes things really easy unless you're using some crazy version of IWS.

It is a better version of Companion Share and Recruit though, in my opinion, so if you liked that mod for FO3 you'll love this one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Two problems with that - I've switched to WMX, and it doesn't look like the one Chigurh uses. No worries though.

A new question - has anyone come across a mod that lets you make a custom jukebox/radio? I want to make a radio that I can place in my Underground Hideout and have it play my own custom MP3s for the entire cell, kind of like Sheppard's cabin in ME2.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Gyshall posted:

A new question - has anyone come across a mod that lets you make a custom jukebox/radio? I want to make a radio that I can place in my Underground Hideout and have it play my own custom MP3s for the entire cell, kind of like Sheppard's cabin in ME2.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34999

You can design your own radio station with MP3s using that link. Once you have your radio station configured, just open UH in FNVEdit, locate the activator for the radio (it is the first activator in the list, shouldn't be hard to locate), and set the RNAM radio station variable to use the station you've created in RACE. You'll probably need to add the RACE station mod to UH as a master before it will let you do this, but that's not difficult and there's literature on how to do it in FNVEdit's manual.

How does WMX compare to WME by the way? I'm seriously torn on whether it's worth making the switch, but it's a little more tempting now that there's an inventory sorter patch out for it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

SheepNameKiller posted:

Fallout 3 had the best quest mods of all 3, in my opinion. Oblivion did have some really quality poo poo come out but most of it came quite some time after the game launched.

Any recommendations on Fallout 3 quest mods? Quite a few. I tried CUBE, and it seems really interesting, but I prefer something a bit more Fallout-y.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

SheepNameKiller posted:

How does WMX compare to WME by the way? I'm seriously torn on whether it's worth making the switch, but it's a little more tempting now that there's an inventory sorter patch out for it.

I actually prefer WMX over WME. It feels like I'm seeing more weapon mods now, and they also feel more useful. Plus, it's got more of a pedigree behind it, what with it being made by the guy who did WMK for Fallout 3.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Chinaman7000 posted:

Any recommendations on Fallout 3 quest mods? Quite a few. I tried CUBE, and it seems really interesting, but I prefer something a bit more Fallout-y.

I'm a huge fan of anything by pucemoose, but I will warn you that they're adventure game-y and not action oriented. If you don't like solving puzzles using clues then you'll probably uninstall them out of frustration, but they do all (mostly) have online walkthroughs. The only one I really dislike by him is his first effort, a note easily missed, which has substandard level design. Evening with Mister Manchester and In the Shadow of the Swamp are my favorites by the author.

A Quest for Heaven is also a pretty quality effort, and the third chapter was just released not too long ago. I haven't played all three but the first two were polished.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

SheepNameKiller posted:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34999

You can design your own radio station with MP3s using that link. Once you have your radio station configured, just open UH in FNVEdit, locate the activator for the radio (it is the first activator in the list, shouldn't be hard to locate), and set the RNAM radio station variable to use the station you've created in RACE. You'll probably need to add the RACE station mod to UH as a master before it will let you do this, but that's not difficult and there's literature on how to do it in FNVEdit's manual.

Cool, that looks about right.

edit: Why didn't I use Underground Hideout before now!? I am a bad person.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 24, 2011

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I've been playing that Bounties mod, and as a result I had enough caps to buy me this:

:raise:

:supaburn:

:supaburn::gibs:

:aaaaa:

Mk211 is fun. :)

Bonus feral ghoul launching:

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

Smuggins posted:

Is New Bounties I really generating a lot of hate or am I hearing the frustration of only a few? I've been very light on my mod list and I do not remember having any problems with the mod.

Now I'm setting up with about 15 or so mods that should keep me happy until Dead Money is graciously allowed to be released by the Xbox agreement.

I guess I will see if something breaks.

I had it installed from the start but never actually pursued the questline. 53 hours later and three bounties in I had fast travel crashes, save crashes and lockups and had to put in a lot of work to get my game stable again.
I was actually enjoying the mod but it completely broke my game and going by the comments section on newvegasnexus there's quite a few people having the same issues at various points. I actually contacted the author and he suggests going to a previous save BEFORE I had the mod installed, so that's not helpful and not actually trying to find out why some people are having these issues.
So basically I would like to play it but not at the risk of a complete reinstall plus mod installs. If it works for you enjoy, didn't work for me and I'll steer clear until I've finished the game or something.

procitizen
May 9, 2010

HYUK HYUK HYUK

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but mouse2 is the recruit/options menu and that can get really loving annoying when you're trying to shoot something without firing from the hip.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

This game wouldn't be the same without mods.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
So I hopped on a few bandwagons:
NV Bounties 1 (played it before so I expect no real issues)
Electro City and the shades/bright sky add-on (F'n Great! I love hotkeyed shades. YEAAAAAAAAH)
Tailor Maid Black Basic (Kinda dissapointed it's all basically shoulders, bleh)
WME (So far so good)
A Place in Goodsprings (Simple place to store until the good places show up)
Community bug fix
FOMM
Darnified UI (F'n GREAT)
Better Binocs
Wasteland Radio and Existence 2.0 (loved these since they came out)
Better Lucky 38 Suite (not the one in the OP, this one is far more modest)
Purge cell buffers (been using this awhile and happy with it)

But it looks like it is time to dive into the land of FNVedit because with the addition of:
World of Pain (low loot)
Stutter remover
Color me Evil
and
Underground Hideout (must control myself on the cheaty stuff, but fishies!)

I have increased stuttering and in the underground hideout, specifically in the "secret door" area I get Black screen crashes which I normally do not get. (I have been very lucky on crashes-performance since day one)

Until the crashes it has been awesome! That first cigarette factory in WOP took me by surprise, oh the lovely pain.

On the assumption that my work with FNVedit fails I shall return to whine and ask for help but I'm betting it will take care of this one issue.

Since Taylor maid kinda let me down I guess I need to get the larger armor pack in the OP and see how that works, I didn't want more DT, just more toys to wear.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Smuggins posted:

Darnified UI (F'n GREAT)

Is darnui more complete now? Last time I checked it out for NV it was still largely unfinished and a lot of stuff looked wonky.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Smuggins posted:

I have increased stuttering and in the underground hideout, specifically in the "secret door" area I get Black screen crashes which I normally do not get. (I have been very lucky on crashes-performance since day one)

I'm not using the stutter remover currently because to my understanding it's still very much in a beta phase. I would try disabling it and seeing if that doesn't fix your problem entirely.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Heti posted:

Is darnui more complete now? Last time I checked it out for NV it was still largely unfinished and a lot of stuff looked wonky.

When I downloaded it a week or two ago it was still just a shadow of the FO3 version. I could really use a time hud option, and the ingame menu was great.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ahahaha IWS has gone such a long way, it turned the Fiend territory into an absolute warzone where no less than 6 NCR soldiers face off against 15+ fiends at any focal point in the area

needless to say my missile launcher got a workout :smugdog:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

potaties posted:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

This game wouldn't be the same without mods.

hahahah what the hell? Link now.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

hahahah what the hell? Link now.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39799

Have at ye, seeker of comedy.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

ahahaha IWS has gone such a long way, it turned the Fiend territory into an absolute warzone where no less than 6 NCR soldiers face off against 15+ fiends at any focal point in the area

needless to say my missile launcher got a workout :smugdog:

Which level of extra spawns are you using?

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

SheepNameKiller posted:

I'm not using the stutter remover currently because to my understanding it's still very much in a beta phase. I would try disabling it and seeing if that doesn't fix your problem entirely.

Ah, I found that I downloaded it but did not install it. I better not then, it sounds like it will make things worse.
I'm guessing FNVedit will sort it out then.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Smuggins posted:

Ah, I found that I downloaded it but did not install it. I better not then, it sounds like it will make things worse.

Yeah, probably. I think the stutter remover needs at least another month or so before it's something that should be recommended, I've been following the development and the guy has been really actively squashing bug after bug but a few still seem to remain.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Smuggins posted:

I've had some stuttering/hanging issues with it in my load order as well. When inside or around the hideout, I get "pauses" every so often when moving the mouse around.

With it disabled, my game runs just fine. Which sucks, because the hideout is pretty sweet.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The guy did release a performance patch about a month ago, can't say if it fixes the stuttering or not but the theory is that it should.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Capn Beeb posted:

I've been playing that Bounties mod, and as a result I had enough caps to buy me this:

what UI mod is that?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SheepNameKiller posted:

I'm a huge fan of anything by pucemoose, but I will warn you that they're adventure game-y and not action oriented. If you don't like solving puzzles using clues then you'll probably uninstall them out of frustration, but they do all (mostly) have online walkthroughs. The only one I really dislike by him is his first effort, a note easily missed, which has substandard level design. Evening with Mister Manchester and In the Shadow of the Swamp are my favorites by the author.

A Quest for Heaven is also a pretty quality effort, and the third chapter was just released not too long ago. I haven't played all three but the first two were polished.

Heyyyyy guy that's played puce moose mods.

I'm working on Evening With mr Manchester right now, and I'm stuck. I've got the note about the fuses for the elevator, I know that I have to get to the flagpole but I have no idea how. Any help?

e: Didn't help that I solved the generator puzzle and never turned it on.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 24, 2011

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just a heads up for the OP: The Killer Tomatoes mod link is broken and also searching for it in the Nexus doesn't show any results, so I guess it's gone...

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Dickeye posted:

Heyyyyy guy that's played puce moose mods.

I'm working on Evening With mr Manchester right now, and I'm stuck. I've got the note about the fuses for the elevator, I know that I have to get to the flagpole but I have no idea how. Any help?

You might need to jog my memory a bit, I take it you Need to get to the top of the house to grab the fuse there but there's something that's holding you back, like an incomplete staircase or something. Can you describe what it looks like? And have you solved the generator puzzle in the basement yet?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Smuggins posted:

I've been using the Stutter Remover for the better part of two months and haven't had any issues with it. By default the utility is set up to limit your FPS to 30 frames, which (in my opinion) is too low. By setting the utility to limit frames at a higher arbitrary limit (mine is set to 45 in NV and Oblivion) I've entirely eliminated the framerate "hot spots" that the Gamebryo engine seems to have problems with. When I say "hot spots", I'm talking about the sharp drop in framerate that comes with looking in certain directions in certain cells (example: a corner of the Red Racer factory in FO3, where there was no noticeable reason for the FPS drop.)

Prior to using the Stutter Remover, I was getting 65-70 FPS most of the time, except when looking at the elevator in the Lucky 38 Penthouse, certain directions in Vault 21, and a few other places where it would plummet to 18-20 FPS for no discernible reason. I've also observed a general "smoothing" and consistency in my FPS now. I think of it as a sort of great equalizer: It attempts to lock my computer into a certain framerate so that my GPU and CPU keep better pace with one another, rather than the GPU being bottlenecked by the CPU because NV still isn't reasonably efficient with multi-core processors.

Granted, the utility is still a beta like other people have been saying. I just wouldn't immediately say it's a troublesome program--rather, it can be troublesome if configured improperly or misused.

Palpek posted:

Just a heads up for the OP: The Killer Tomatoes mod link is broken and also searching for it in the Nexus doesn't show any results, so I guess it's gone...

Thanks for the heads up. Edited.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

wylker posted:

what UI mod is that?

You mean the Readius?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone with Underground Hideout who knows scripting able to crack open the ESP and check out the script on the Radio/jukebox items? I've added a new radiostation using Radio Active Channel Extender, but it doesn't show up on the Radio/jukebox option - it looks like the choice is coded into the script on the activator for the radio and jukebox. Any ideas how I could add the radio station as an option?

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Syrant posted:

You mean the Readius?

I guess, the blue pipboy...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SheepNameKiller posted:

You might need to jog my memory a bit, I take it you Need to get to the top of the house to grab the fuse there but there's something that's holding you back, like an incomplete staircase or something. Can you describe what it looks like? And have you solved the generator puzzle in the basement yet?

I ended up getting it. You have to do the generator puzzle, then go upstairs, where there's a broken staircase. You have to climb up some little rock and hop across (or at least, I did it that way, I could be "cheating") to get up to the top.

Now I'm just diddling around in the Sound Shack.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Anyone with Underground Hideout who knows scripting able to crack open the ESP and check out the script on the Radio/jukebox items? I've added a new radiostation using Radio Active Channel Extender, but it doesn't show up on the Radio/jukebox option - it looks like the choice is coded into the script on the activator for the radio and jukebox. Any ideas how I could add the radio station as an option?

It's theoretically possible to make a craftable radio mod, I imagine there's scripting involved though since you'll have to have a droppable dummy item which is then converted to a static item upon use. Scripting still confuses the poo poo out of me unfortunately.

A better bet might be removing the script from the item entirely in the GECK so that it just functions as a normal radio.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 24, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SheepNameKiller posted:

Which level of extra spawns are you using?
High spawns ie the only way to play

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

wylker posted:

what UI mod is that?

Official Pipboy Readius

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

SheepNameKiller posted:

Scripting still confuses the poo poo out of me unfortunately.

You and I both. I have a bunch of ideas for sweet mods that could be done but I can't seem to wrap my head around scripting for this engine. Oh well. I guess I should start small before trying to make anything too sweet.

Maybe this is what I'm looking for? http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Radio_Stations

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 24, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Gyshall posted:

You and I both. I have a bunch of ideas for sweet mods that could be done but I can't seem to wrap my head around scripting for this engine. Oh well. I guess I should start small before trying to make anything too sweet.

Maybe this is what I'm looking for? http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Radio_Stations

From what you're saying, the problem is due to the fact that the UH radio has a script attached that lets you choose between stations. Normal radios in NV don't behave like this, just have an on/off state, so converting the UH radio to a normal radio and changing the radio station in FNVEdit should be enough to make it work.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Since Reload seems to be stuck in Limbo, does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

SheepNameKiller posted:

From what you're saying, the problem is due to the fact that the UH radio has a script attached that lets you choose between stations. Normal radios in NV don't behave like this, just have an on/off state, so converting the UH radio to a normal radio and changing the radio station in FNVEdit should be enough to make it work.

Ah, I see. I guess I can probably just find a radio in the vanilla game and copy/paste the script from it onto the UH one. In theory, I guess.