Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

iPod touch 4g, non-jailbroken, latest version(4.2.1), have tried rebooting. What does resprung mean? :boon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BagelMaster
Mar 20, 2008
I was just at my friends house who had a Belkin receiver that I could connect to via Bluetooth and stream all the audio from my iPod Touch to the stereo. Is there a way for me to do this with my Macbook? I want to stream the audio of my iPod to my Macbook, which is connected to my stereo at home, so I can play music from the Naxos Music Library on my stereo, without having to use Mobile Mouse or VNC to control my computer. I'm also jailbroken, so any solutions involving jailbreaking are fine too!

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I'm sure this has been answered in this thread but here is my question:

What program do you guys recommend for getting itouch music into itunes? I know there is legit and virus infested versions of these programs and I'm wondering what you guys recommend? I really don't want to get all this music back in manually if I already have it on my itouch.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Slumpy posted:

I'm sure this has been answered in this thread but here is my question:

What program do you guys recommend for getting itouch music into itunes? I know there is legit and virus infested versions of these programs and I'm wondering what you guys recommend? I really don't want to get all this music back in manually if I already have it on my itouch.
When I had a hard disk crash last fall, I used SharePod to retrieve the music from my Touch. Worked well, freeware, no virus problems, etc.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Mojangles posted:

iPod touch 4g, non-jailbroken, latest version(4.2.1), have tried rebooting. What does resprung mean? :boon:
Respring means restart springboard, which you can only do if jailbroken I think. And your answers are such that I can't help you, sorry. My experience with the white icon thing is jailbroken, and my fix (a icon cache clearing utility) is also only for jailbroken devices.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

When I had a hard disk crash last fall, I used SharePod to retrieve the music from my Touch. Worked well, freeware, no virus problems, etc.

This worked fantastic. Thanks so much

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ahoy guys.

So ive been through a psp and a DS, would a ipod touch provide the same sort of distraction and enjoyment like the prior platforms? I became a podcast addict, can you listen to your podcasts whilst playing games?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Mr. Mojangles posted:

Never quite seen white icons before! Anyway, uninstall & reinstall the apps may work.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

bluegoon posted:

Ahoy guys.

So ive been through a psp and a DS, would a ipod touch provide the same sort of distraction and enjoyment like the prior platforms? I became a podcast addict, can you listen to your podcasts whilst playing games?

Depends on the game, some allow your own music over, some dont. Most of the good(paid) ones do.

As far as distraction, possibly even more distraction, as most of the games are like flash games online and can be picked up and put down whenever you have a spare couple minutes, where the handheld systems usually have more in depth games you need some more time to get into.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Mr. Mojangles posted:

Well, poo poo. Icons for apps started turning up blank (I have absolutely no idea why), so I reinstalled a few and I lost a lot of progress. :(
Anyone know of the best way to fix this poo poo without losing stuff?

e:fb

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
Ok, so what's the latest and greatest way to jailbreak an iPod Touch 4th gen? I just bought one yesterday.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

the aftermath posted:

Ok, so what's the latest and greatest way to jailbreak an iPod Touch 4th gen? I just bought one yesterday.
Jailbreakmatrix.com but I'd wait a bit since the current jb is tethered, unless you don't care about that. Also there's a jailbreak thread. It's on the first page of this subforum.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart

randyest posted:

Jailbreakmatrix.com but I'd wait a bit since the current jb is tethered, unless you don't care about that. Also there's a jailbreak thread. It's on the first page of this subforum.
drat I completely missed that thread. Thanks.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Do you guys have any recommendations for a dock? I was looking around for one that's cheaper than Apple's universal dock (I do like the fact that it comes with a remote, but $60 seems a bit too much for the whole setup and it's something I can live without), but there didn't seem to be too many options.

And how about wall chargers? DealExtreme has one for less than $3, but their stuff is kinda hit and miss, so I'm willing to spend a bit more to remove the chance that my apartment will burn down.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Karthe posted:

And how about wall chargers? DealExtreme has one for less than $3, but their stuff is kinda hit and miss, so I'm willing to spend a bit more to remove the chance that my apartment will burn down.

I use this guy: http://www.jr.com/belkin/pe/BKN_F8Z981TTP

$20 and it's pretty much a functional clone of the Apple iPhone/iPad charger which sells for :10bux: more. It's small and won't block the other outlet if it's plugged into a wall. The cable is a little thick but it's not a deal breaker. Charges my brand new iPod Touch 4th Gen just fine.

BTW dunno why everyone rails about the camera resolution, I'm coming from an iPhone 2G where I had to jailbreak to get a decent camera app. Video cam is great as far as I can see.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 24, 2011

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Binary Badger posted:

BTW dunno why everyone rails about the camera resolution, I'm coming from an iPhone 2G where I had to jailbreak to get a decent camera app. Video cam is great as far as I can see.

The Touch's camera is rated at about 0.7 megapixels. It can do 720p video, but for stills that resolution is inferior to what "dumb" phones had just a few years ago.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Nihiliste posted:

The Touch's camera is rated at about 0.7 megapixels. It can do 720p video, but for stills that resolution is inferior to what "dumb" phones had just a few years ago.
Now watch, the iPod Touch 5G will look like the iPhone 4 and include a dedicated still-camera sensor...the sad thing is, I'll probably buy it because of that (unless I go the iPhone 5 route) :suicide:

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Karthe posted:

Now watch, the iPod Touch 5G will look like the iPhone 4 and include a dedicated still-camera sensor...the sad thing is, I'll probably buy it because of that (unless I go the iPhone 5 route) :suicide:

I only want two things from a new Touch, in the short term: more memory and a GPS receiver. Scratch the memory in fact, I would kill to have a handheld that could do GPS without being chained to map updates or a phone subscription.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

I use this guy: http://www.jr.com/belkin/pe/BKN_F8Z981TTP

$20 and it's pretty much a functional clone of the Apple iPhone/iPad charger which sells for :10bux: more. It's small and won't block the other outlet if it's plugged into a wall. The cable is a little thick but it's not a deal breaker. Charges my brand new iPod Touch 4th Gen just fine.

Why charge 1 when you can do 4 things for less? http://www.amazon.com/4-USB-Port-Ac-Charger/dp/B0036VO7OK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1295917709&sr=8-1-catcorr

Got one from walmart for 19.99, one of the usb ports is a bit loose so it charges unreliably, but I still have 3 completely functional usb ports for the same price (less on amazon).

Ok, I don't know what the hell else you might need to charge this way, but you can if you want. I swear I got it to charge xbox play n charge controllers before but it doesnt anymore, so idk.

Edit 2: It does charge them using the nyko play n charge. Just not the official one I guess.

Ninja Toast! fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 25, 2011

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Can apps sap battery life by running in the background? It seems that, for the last week or so, my battery will run down really quickly, completely draining overnight from about 40% charge. I know for a fact I have WiFi turned off when I'm not using it, and I always return to the home screen before shutting it off (don't know if that's even a factor), so I don't know what's changed. Where I used to get four days or so of regular use from my Touch (including WiFi usage), I'm now lucky to get 48 hours. This has happened twice in the last few days.

I'm starting to suspect it might be one of the new apps I downloaded, but I wanted to make sure that that could be the culprit, or if the quickly-draining battery is indicative of a hardware failure...

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Karthe posted:

Can apps sap battery life by running in the background? It seems that, for the last week or so, my battery will run down really quickly, completely draining overnight from about 40% charge. I know for a fact I have WiFi turned off when I'm not using it, and I always return to the home screen before shutting it off (don't know if that's even a factor), so I don't know what's changed. Where I used to get four days or so of regular use from my Touch (including WiFi usage), I'm now lucky to get 48 hours. This has happened twice in the last few days.

I'm starting to suspect it might be one of the new apps I downloaded, but I wanted to make sure that that could be the culprit, or if the quickly-draining battery is indicative of a hardware failure...

I'm not sure but I always close down any non-essential apps before going to bed v:shobon:v

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Karthe posted:

I dont know for sure that they can but it does seem that way.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ninja Toast! posted:

I dont know for sure that they can but it does seem that way.
Only if they're doing something like playing music or GPS. The iPhone API has a limited number of things that can go on in the background. One of our resident devs posted a list, I think it was play music, GPS (and maybe one other thing?)

If you see a game or something that doesn't use gps or play music in your task bar thing (that you see by double-clicking home) it's either freeze dried or just there as a "recent apps" list and is not using extra CPU.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm jailbroken on 4.1 and I noticed that when I open Appshopper, I see through SBsettings that I get a process called "AdSheet" running in the background (which is most likely Apple's iAds). If I don't manually close that process when I put my ipod into standby, it seems to drain the battery pretty fast.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Is it just me or is iOS 4.2.1 buggy as poo poo?
My album art looks fine in itunes but on the touch it's all mixed up. Wifi constantly forget passwords and often refuses to connect even though I know the settings are correct.

It's a new touch, bought just last week and all of the problems I'm having with it seem to be software related but I just want too check that there isn't any known hardware issues with the device that I should be aware off. It's a 32GB of whatever the current generation is.

This is my second touch the previous one ran iOS 3 which I never had any issues with.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

randyest posted:

Only if they're doing something like playing music or GPS. The iPhone API has a limited number of things that can go on in the background. One of our resident devs posted a list, I think it was play music, GPS (and maybe one other thing?)

If you see a game or something that doesn't use gps or play music in your task bar thing (that you see by double-clicking home) it's either freeze dried or just there as a "recent apps" list and is not using extra CPU.

Ok, I just got the Amazing Slow Downer app (slows down songs on your ipod without changing pitch, good for learning to play them on guitar/bass/drums/whathaveyou) and it seems to use battery even when just in the background. Now I guess it falls into the music category, but if its not actively playing music (stop/paused) I can hear would it still drain the battery?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
So guys, what do you think of my homescreen? :c00lbert:

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Karthe posted:

So guys, what do you think of my homescreen? :c00lbert:

Now what's iStudiez Pro? Incredibly stupid app name, I'm sure you'll agree.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ninja Toast! posted:

Ok, I just got the Amazing Slow Downer app (slows down songs on your ipod without changing pitch, good for learning to play them on guitar/bass/drums/whathaveyou) and it seems to use battery even when just in the background. Now I guess it falls into the music category, but if its not actively playing music (stop/paused) I can hear would it still drain the battery?
It shouldn't but that doesn't mean it doesn't. If you're having battery life issues try removing it and see if it helps.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Nihiliste posted:

Now what's iStudiez Pro? Incredibly stupid app name, I'm sure you'll agree.
Yeah, the name is kinda corny, but it's a decent app for keeping track of my quarterly schedules and assignments. The app used to be called iStudent Pro back in June 2009, but they changed the name because, "we consider iStudiez Pro unique in every respect and therefore we don’t want it to be associated with any other application that happened to bear similar name".

In any case, the reason I posted my home screen was to show off the battery percentage indicator (in the upper right). There's a way to enable it on an iPod Touch without jailbreaking - you just have to modify a file (basically insert two lines into an XML file) within a backup, then restore that backup to the iPod to get it. This video is the one I followed, and the technique works for iOS 3.x through to 4.2.1

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
I know it hasn't got a built in one, but can you pair an iPod Touch with a bluetooth gps receiver to use gps apps?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oben posted:

I know it hasn't got a built in one, but can you pair an iPod Touch with a bluetooth gps receiver to use gps apps?
Not that I know of. The Bluetooth stack for the iPod devices is pretty limited.

Carl with a K
Dec 25, 2006
Ok so I'm the proud owner of a 120 gig iPod classic. I recently was streaming through my 360 and when I removed it, it says I have 0 songs. All the data is still on there under "other" when I go to the about section. I did some searching and the number one response to this problem seems to be backing up the music and doing a factory reset, however the fact that my Xbox and Winamp can still read my library of music is giving me hope that somehow I don't have to lose all my playlists and 5 star ratings. Can anyone help me out?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
No.

But they will in this thread.

Carl with a K
Dec 25, 2006
goddamnit I filtered by apple and did a search and still didn't find that poo poo haha. thanks

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
They have the non-Touch thread in A/V Arena, that's why.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Welp, my Touch 4G did it again. Went from about 50% battery to absolutely drained in about two days while in standby mode the entire time - I didn't use it at all during the last 48 hours. WiFi was off, too, because I'm pretty conscious about that. I don't know what the hell, but I'm getting frustrated.

I did some searching around about this problem, and a couple people said it might be Location Services. Is there any merit to that? I have a hard time believing that Location Services would all of a sudden start being a drain, as I've had it enabled for Find my iPhone since I got my Touch at launch time and I didn't notice any appreciable decrease in battery life.

Maybe I'll just call the Apple people and get a replacement.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, five minutes after plugging it in at 0%, it said it was 40% charged...that sounds pretty suspicious. Could my problem be that the battery level is being misreported by ~40%? If so, that might explain why it goes from 50% to completely dead overnight...

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 30, 2011

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

It could be, yeah. Might as well restore it...they'll have you do that anyway if you call in.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
My sister recently let me mess around with her new Touch and I fell in love with it. Unfortunately all I can afford is a 1st gen. on eBay. So my question is,how archaic is a 1st gen. compared to the 4th? Will I be missing out on much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Quite archaic. At a bare minimum I'd go with 2nd gen and to really be able to take advantage of every feature I'd recommend the 3GS. It might be something to save up for or get for a birthday or something.

• Locked thread