Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I guess vyrus is like bimota for people who like uglier things?

You are on drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oh, thanks, don't mind if I do...

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Hotness.

The large testicle severing crotch recess is a nice touch.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

For real. I bet that thing handles like poo poo.

On the supermoto stuff, eh I give myself a rough 2 month time period before going to jail once I get my dualsport. Thinking I want an XR650R but with an optional supermoto setup as well. I'm not really a hooligan but I really have the mentality that the law doesn't apply as much to me while riding the CBR around vs. driving around in my truck. They just passed a law here in Tulsa where motorcycles can now run red lights if they can't trip the switch and sit there for more than 30 seconds. I was going "What, you guys just don't run that poo poo anyway?". Anyhow, that's how I feel for the most part on my sport bike while riding around. On a supermoto/dual sport it's going to get way way worse and I"m going to jail.

Also, most of that "You can't ride it for 3 months without doing some stupid poo poo on it" applies for almost all motorcycles I think. Newer sport bike riders I talk to have said things along the lines of "Yeah, I'll be speed limit cautious, won't wheelie, won't do stupid things" and I normally correct them and say "Yes you will". I was the same way. It doesn't last. If you are on the streets on any sort of performance machine you're going to do dumb poo poo, guaranteed. Especially in a group as you have the whole Monkey see Monkey do scenario which leads to ludicrous speeds at times, people getting egged on into doing wheelies, and just general shenanigans.

So yeah, no matter how much you think about how safe of a rider and law abiding rider you're going to be. No, you're not.

For supermoto's, the first bike that I got to ride in the "WHOA THAT'S MOTHERFUCKING FAST" catagorie was an Ape SXV 550. I broke like 10 laws in the 1.5 miles I rode it through a neighborhood. It completely ruined any wow factor for any other bike I have ridden since. Other supermotos? Lame. 1000's? Eh they're ok. Busa? Meh. Honest this thing was the biggest beast I have ever ridden. It was first gen of them which is basically their race bike where engines explode but has lights on it. It weighs 275 pounds and throws 78HP to the rear wheel. Soft spots in the throttle? None. You hit the hammer and you are gone. It was crazy.

Ah well, content.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

i am the video word made flesh

the designer used to work for bimota and designed the Tesi 2D, which vyrus still sells as a re-brand.

i liked the snorkel design on the Tesi

blue vein steel fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 22, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That bike. That bike. :swoon:

bimota is my ultimate brand. When the hell are they going to make a touring version for me to drool over???

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Well this settles it. What bike would jesus ride? A CX500 :v:.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I've managed a wheelie on my ER5 but an endo is something that requires a deal more skill... but this guy seems to have that sorted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE4AC4LtM0Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=115s

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

needknees posted:

Well this settles it. What bike would jesus ride? A CX500 :v:.

I should totally Jesus-fy my CX huh...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've seen an old guy riding around on a WR250x and was hoping to see him wheelie, but he never did. :(

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

Spiffness posted:

:ughh:

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Slim Pickens posted:

I've seen an old guy riding around on a WR250x and was hoping to see him wheelie, but he never did. :(

Probably because you have to use the clutch to get one to wheelie even in first.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

blue vein steel posted:

the designer used to work for bimota and designed the Tesi 2D, which vyrus still sells as a re-brand.

i liked the snorkel design on the Tesi

Is there some kind of advantage to this kind of steering?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Clank posted:

it looks cool?

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

Clank posted:

as stated above, mainly it looks cool, but the idea behind it is that suspension motion is transferred into the body of the bike rather than up the forks and into the rider's arms, or something to that effect.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clank posted:

It separates braking and steering forces in the suspension. So can absolutely hammer the brakes into a turn but then still be able to turn in as hard as you want as the suspension geometry doesn't change. It works well for the road but not as good for racing because the riders don't get as much feedback from the front end and they can't load up the front end which, when you're using forks, causes the suspension geometry to sharpen up so you can turn in quicker.

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It separates braking and steering forces in the suspension. So can absolutely hammer the brakes into a turn but then still be able to turn in as hard as you want as the suspension geometry doesn't change. It works well for the road but not as good for racing because the riders don't get as much feedback from the front end and they can't load up the front end which, when you're using forks, causes the suspension geometry to sharpen up so you can turn in quicker.

non-fork suspensions always look like they'd be significantly heavier, including the Britten's.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

blue vein steel posted:

non-fork suspensions always look like they'd be significantly heavier, including the Britten's.

Telescoping forks are thick steel tubes. Funky front ends are typically hollow aluminum or composite structures.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I thought Britten just used fork tubes made of CF?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Z3n posted:

^^^ The first rule of the supermoto thread is that you don't talk about the supermoto thread ^^^

Yeah whatever sellout. You're excommunicated forever.

Once you go sumo you never go back. YOU NEVER GO BACK. Thats the first rule of sumo life.

-edited out the repost

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 23, 2011

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It's -5 outside right now (Farenheit, of course) so I've been thinking about ice racing a lot.

Seriously, if someone gives you the opportunity to try it, take it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boat posted:

Protip: Never ever loving GIS birdo. :gonk:

YES!! More goofy front ends that dont steer as well as existing stuff on low-end bikes!!

SIGN ME UP

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

YES!! More goofy front ends that dont steer as well as existing stuff on low-end bikes!!

SIGN ME UP

You know I'm starting to notice between you and a few others that if something doesn't fit in your narrow confines of what you think a motorcycle should be you guys bitch about it. It gets tiring after a while.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I thought Britten just used fork tubes made of CF?

Nope, the Britten had a Hossack-type front end (BMW uses a similar system on their K bikes) with the main spars made of CF.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Gnaghi posted:

My Husky is still the only bike I ever tried to wheelie on purpose. Though I still fight to not lean forward when the front comes up, which automatically brings it down, since that thing doesn't weigh much more than I do. I don't deserve that bike. :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO89Mgrr7rA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmKWcpqJhTA

Saw my building in the first vid. Those guys are assholes though, I haven't met them in person but they ride around like a bunch of cunts and brag about it online.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's just normal sumo shenanigans!

See it's ok because they're not sport bikes and not going 800 mph :eng101:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phat_Albert posted:

SIGN ME UP

The GSX-Radd wants a word with you.

The test ride article in Performance Bikes says it gives even better feedback than a fork.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Are the front discs shoved onto the same side of the wheel on the GSX-Radd? Certainly they wouldn't lose a whole disc for their suspension, but it's a change I hadn't noticed before.

Christoff posted:

It's just normal sumo shenanigans!

See it's ok because they're not sport bikes and not going 800 mph :eng101:

Instead of doing 140 on the freeway where cars are doing 70 they're doing 30 on narrow paths and stairs where people are doing 3 or 4. Still cool though.

eggyolk fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 24, 2011

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, both rotors and calipers are on the same side.

Here's an article I found after 3 seconds of googling, the second picture shows the two rotors next to each other.

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/gsx-radd-hub-center-steered-motorcycle-suspension

quote:

Parker has gone to a lot of trouble to make his suspension feel like a fork. Nonetheless, the experience is totally different. On cold tires, the gnarly surface of that hairpin is intimidating. It was here that I noticed the prototype's most striking trait-I could feel the texture of the asphalt.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 24, 2011

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

2011 Content

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
She seems to be wearing the Scorpion Nip Tuck jacket

Australian biker gang funeral procession, circa 1975.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOCIVvxR-50&feature=related

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

Is that a cylon out in front?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Guys if I die and you throw a funeral please don't drive my coffin around on a go-kart.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

eggyolk posted:

Instead of doing 140 on the freeway where cars are doing 70 they're doing 30 on narrow paths and stairs where people are doing 3 or 4. Still cool though.

The whole doing burnouts around cars trying to fill up is a pretty gently caress-off attitude. Get your gas somewhere else you fuckin' sheep!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Guys if I die and you throw a funeral please don't drive my coffin around on a go-kart.

It looks more like a old school side car racer honestly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9dd_1295772850

Turn your volume down, but goddamn.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9dd_1295772850

Turn your volume down, but goddamn.

The oncoming bike actually laid'er down and probably came out all the better for it. Hope they lynched the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I always try to overtake into a blind corner :v: