Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Apologies for doubleposting but holy poo poo

wanna paint dat mini

edit top of page supremacy yesssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
:lol:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Easily the best mini I've ever seen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does 40k have an actual scale associated with it? I've heard it's ostensibly 28mm, but that's laughably wrong.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

moths posted:

Does 40k have an actual scale associated with it? I've heard it's ostensibly 28mm, but that's laughably wrong.

28mm is the closest I think but I'm certain the general term is.. er.. 'heroic' scale.. i.e. everything is waaay over exagerated. models are taller. guns are bigger. muscles are huge and rippling.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

enri posted:

28mm is the closest I think but I'm certain the general term is.. er.. 'heroic' scale.. i.e. everything is waaay over exagerated. models are taller. guns are bigger. muscles are huge and rippling.

I think the official term is "28mm Jersey"

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

enri posted:

muscles are huge and rippling.

Kroot are all horse fed...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

god drat i hate you so much

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

moths posted:

No, it doesn't. I mean it's labeled as 28mm because that was/is the general eye-height of your average dude, but the real issue is that nothing is actually scaled properly at all. Heads, hands, and weapons are all too large, vehicles are all too small, there is generally no real coherence between armies (and sometimes even within them, depending on the age of specific sculpts).

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I just got done with my first attempt at some flamers :gay: I'm pretty happy with them.

e: Also, some multi-colored horrors.

Click here for the full 1440x864 image.

Throne of Bhalz fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 25, 2011

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Fix, look what you've done.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sole.Sushi posted:

Fix, look what you've done.

I regret nothing, clearly.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
I certainly didn't help.

I too, regret nothing.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

This is what I've done for my Tau army so far, It's not bad for my skill level. Trying to think what I should paint my Tau Armor, what will go well with the sea of red from my Kroot?

Probably the same red? I was thinking a Dark purple but that always seems so "randum"... What do you guys think.

Also, sorry for the lovely photos, I am terrible with cameras.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Invert the Kroot scheme, so bone colored armor with dark red detailing.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This, or do dark red accents+ a camo scheme that's similar in colour to the basing you're doing, which looks pretty great. I personally think Tau look best in a camo scheme, not the standard colour-the-panel scheme a lot of people tend to do. And your dudes look pretty gritty thus far, so camo would go nicely with that.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Speaking of Kroot, does anyone have some Kroot Hounds lying around they don't want/need?

edit:Thanks for the idea. Actually the more I look at the Kroot Hounds the less I like them, so using the Chaos Warhounds is perfect.

Well then, does anyone have some Kroot Chaos WarHounds lying around they don't want/need?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 26, 2011

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Indolent Bastard posted:

Speaking of Kroot, does anyone have some Kroot Hounds lying around they don't want/need?
If you want to save $, you might consider converting them from Chaos Warhounds from the fantasy line. This guy did it by just sculpting greenstuff beaks onto them but I think you might also be able to swing it by just using Kroot Carnivore heads.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Hmm, this will probably work, thanks- Also I'm pretty bad at painting overall so camo is basically out of the question.

My bases aren't exactly finished, they need to have the coat on the bottom smoothed out, which I can't seem to perfect every time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

hobocrunch posted:

Hmm, this will probably work, thanks- Also I'm pretty bad at painting overall so camo is basically out of the question.

My bases aren't exactly finished, they need to have the coat on the bottom smoothed out, which I can't seem to perfect every time.

Also check out the guy Chenghiz pointed me to his Gritty, Urban Tau look great.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224034

Simpo
May 1, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

Apologies for doubleposting but holy poo poo

wanna paint dat mini

edit top of page supremacy yesssss

Thats pretty cool, they also have this one in case your dwarf army is missing a lord:

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Why are Exorcists so awful to put together? These have to be the most infuriating things.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Dale-Taco posted:

Why are Exorcists so awful to put together? These have to be the most infuriating things.

The molds got bent or something. Every assembly guide I read bitched about the back mount being bent. I had to wang on mine with a rubber mallet for about half an hour before it was even close, and even then I had to cut plastic off the back of the immolator plate.

Oh, and serious amounts of two-part metal epoxy goddamn I used a lot of glue.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Got my fennblades finished today, bringing my Trollbloods up to 25 points. Whoever decided that Trolls should have tartan is a complete and utter bastard, i'm a mediocre painter at best and complicated freehand patterns on uneven surfaces do not make me smile

Anybody have tips for getting good shots of whole units, i find that when i'm far enough out that i'm getting all the models in shot that i've lost most of the detail on the minatures.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fix posted:

The molds got bent or something. Every assembly guide I read bitched about the back mount being bent. I had to wang on mine with a rubber mallet for about half an hour before it was even close, and even then I had to cut plastic off the back of the immolator plate.

Oh, and serious amounts of two-part metal epoxy goddamn I used a lot of glue.

If and when sisters get redone I assume a new Exorcist is top of the list for models.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Calico Noose posted:

Anybody have tips for getting good shots of whole units, i find that when i'm far enough out that i'm getting all the models in shot that i've lost most of the detail on the minatures.

Aside from "more light", no. I have the same problems, and I've come to the conclusion that the problem is just that I am using a basic point-and-shoot camera instead of a nicer DSLR where I can actually control the settings and that has a higher quality CCD.

From your photo though, I think more light would help.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The thing you have to understand with taking photos of models is that it is all voodoo and witchcraft. You will never ever reliably get a good and accurate picture.

*runs away crying*

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
I find that when i let my girlfriend take the pictures i get crisp and well lit results.

The only problem then is that the cruel vindictive camera brings out faults in my paintjob that i hadn't noticed with the naked eye. I need to rub vasaline on the lense, or invent the Trollish myspace angle :(

I swear his paint job isn't anywhere near that grainy in real life.

This one came out fairly non-embarressingly

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The thing you have to understand with taking photos of models is that it is all voodoo and witchcraft. You will never ever reliably get a good and accurate picture.

*runs away crying*

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I should really get some pictures of my bright pink Hello Kitty themed Khador battle box that I painted when I was going to become one of those demo guys. I have since pretty much given up on PP but I still proudly display those.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Fyrbrand posted:

Just noticed no one gave you actual advice, sorry. Do you want standard metallic looks, or the far more pro choice of non-metallic? IF the former, basecoat your choice of boltgun or chainmail, wash badab, lightly drybrush with the basecoat color. Add edge highlights with mithril. Pick out details in red/black/blue, boom done.

Thanks for this. Not sure if I want to go metallic or nonmetallic yet. I got a blister of two regular grey knights that I think I'll use to test color schemes on.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Getting somewhere with these tankbustas. Still work to be done, need to figure out how and where to do the markings for example.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Dwarf Napoleon?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

Dwarf Napoleon?

Isn't that an oxymoron

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

No, it's redundant.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
No, it's just a very, very short Napoleon.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Buffalo squeeze posted:

No, it's just a very, very short Napoleon.

Now wait a minute

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

pw pw pw posted:

No, it's redundant.

Right. Just woke up.

Anyways: I need a guide on verdigris. I have some prepainted D&D models I wanna make into statues or some poo poo (that may or may not come alive and cleave the PC's in two)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Watered down Hawk Turquoise in the recesses. Maybe stippled/sponged on flat areas ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Watered down Hawk Turquoise in the recesses. Maybe stippled/sponged on flat areas ?

Brass or gold for the base coat? I'm not sure which would show up better

• Locked thread