Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
For what it's worth, in the motorcycle world Ohlins is what you get when you want the best. If that carries over to 4 wheels, I couldn't say. But they do look good :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
yes, an ALK is probably my favorite suspension part to put on a Subaru.

The RCE shocks are a re-valved and re-sprung KW, which for the additional ~200 is well worth it. Basically they give the shocks a little better range of adjustment and a little more compression valving, and then throw out the progressive rear spring and replace it with a stiffer, linear rate spring. They are special order and come straight from KW, so you can specify the spring rates to go with them. For a GR on street tires I'd shoot for somewhere in the 7k/8k region f/r.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

jamal posted:

The RCE shocks are a re-valved and re-sprung KW, which for the additional ~200 is well worth it. Basically they give the shocks a little better range of adjustment and a little more compression valving, and then throw out the progressive rear spring and replace it with a stiffer, linear rate spring. They are special order and come straight from KW, so you can specify the spring rates to go with them. For a GR on street tires I'd shoot for somewhere in the 7k/8k region f/r.

I really appreciate the insight. I've read some of RCE's stuff, particularly their development for the sedan springs (obviously that don't apply to me) and have been impressed. I had a huge lapse in mental ability when you first mentioned them that prevented me from connecting the two as one company.

Do ALKs apply to the '11 setup? I'm having trouble finding any. In regards to sways, would you recommend RCEs as well?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

thealphabetsez posted:

Do ALKs apply to the '11 setup? I'm having trouble finding any. In regards to sways, would you recommend RCEs as well?

Whiteline makes good sway bars.

http://www.importimageracing.com/p/Whiteline-22mm-Adj-Front-Swaybar-08-11-STi.html
http://www.importimageracing.com/p/Whiteline-22mm-Adj-Rear-Swaybar-08-11-WRX-STI.html

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 20, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

thealphabetsez posted:

no actually they don't. The control arms are different and the '11 uses a spherical bearing. it's a huge improvement over the rubber ones that would fall apart but currently there's no offset version. Not as huge of a deal in the new cars since have better front geometry and a ton of caster out of the box.

I like whiteline sways best and their 22mm and bigger rear bars come with reinforcement brackets for the mounting tabs, which will break with a big bar. I usually recommend 24/24.

ok that description on importimage is funny as poo poo: "Ask any racer, any REAL racer, and they will tell you that..."

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 20, 2011

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

ok that description on importimage is funny as poo poo: "Ask any racer, any REAL racer, and they will tell you that..."

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Posted a few pages back about my RS.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a guys trans/rear diff setup for my 2002 RS.

He's got an 04 Forester XT trans and rear diff. I'm assuming they're 4.44 and VLSD.

Will I run into any fitment issues or mechanical issues getting this thing into my RS. Do I need any different parts? Is it bolt in and go? I don't really want to buy it, get it bolted in, and go welp it doesn't work.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Get a picture of the transmission where the front axles go. in 04 they started using the axles that stick into the diff instead of the little stubs that stick out with a roll pin. If they're not the same you'll have to switch axles.

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 21, 2011

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

Get a picture of the transmission where the front axles go. in 04 they started using the axles that stick into the diff instead of the little stubs that stick out with a roll pin. If they're not the same you'll have to switch axles.

Good to know. I planned to throw my broken stock 5 speed into the back of the jeep to compare with the xt box when I get there. The axle thing, while annoying, isn't a deal breaker. Just didn't know if the clutch setup would be compatible.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Don't forget that new axles are like $50 a piece.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

aw poo poo. your RS is a push-type clutch and I assumed it was pull-type like the WRX of the same year. You'll need a lot of stuff to make it work. Sorry.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

Funny, when I bought my RCEs, they were actually cheaper than the same model KW.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

aw poo poo. your RS is a push-type clutch and I assumed it was pull-type like the WRX of the same year. You'll need a lot of stuff to make it work. Sorry.

As I feared :|

The guy selling it swapped an STi drivetrain into his FXT. He wants to throw in all the other stuff to convert my car to pull-type, but I'm not sure it's the best route to take.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

I got a 2001 Outback yesterday. :) Other than a strange whiff of burning plastic/rubber when I floor it (?), it seems to be in good condition. What's the goon consensus on the best first upgrade?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Bumper sticker.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Watermelon City posted:

I got a 2001 Outback yesterday. :) Other than a strange whiff of burning plastic/rubber when I floor it (?), it seems to be in good condition. What's the goon consensus on the best first upgrade?
Tires.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
STI swap

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Amandyke posted:

STI swap
You'll need good tires.
I say do them both at the same time.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nm posted:

You'll need good tires.
I say do them both at the same time.

Crap tires just means better awd burnouts!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Amandyke posted:

Crap tires just means better awd burnouts!
Touche.
Get some Re92s, OP.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Picked this up for my RS.

04FXT trans, diff, axles, clutch assembly.

Guy gave me everything for 800 bucks. Just going to be a pain to swap it all in over just putting in a new gearbox.

4.44, VLSD, 80k miles. Yeah it's going to be sick.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My clutch is slipping. Looks like repairs will beat out catless up/down exhaust.

Reccomendations on replacement. Should I go with OEM or third party? While I'm there, anything else I could/should replace? Switch to a short throw?

And secondly, is this shadetree doable work? Start to finish within a weekend?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I was hoping to limp through winter with the summer tires on my 2011 WRX, but it's clear they plan to kill me long before spring. I only deal with maybe 5 snow days a year. Does anyone have recommendations on high performance all seasons? According to NASIOC these are the best tires:

1.) Potenza RE960 Pole Position
2.) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
3.) Continental Extreme Contact DWS
4.) Advan S4
5.) BF Goodrich Super Sport A/S
6.) P-Zero Nero M&S
7.) Eagle F1 All-Season

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm rocking the Goodyear Eagle GT's which has apparently had the effect of preventing any decent snow in the DC area. :mad:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

My clutch is slipping. Looks like repairs will beat out catless up/down exhaust.

Reccomendations on replacement. Should I go with OEM or third party? While I'm there, anything else I could/should replace? Switch to a short throw?
Just go with the OEM clutch; they're fine until you start adding massive power. Aftermarket clutches may result in a loss of driveability. Also, check your clutch fork; someone in this thread recently had an issue with his clutch fork in his blobeye breaking and making the clutch feel terrible as well as slip.

quote:

I'd say so. I haven't done it myself, though.

e: v Whoops, yeah, you should absolutely do this every time you swap a clutch disc. Why wouldn't you?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 25, 2011

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Start to finish within a weekend?

Do you have a place that will machine your flywheel during the weekend? If so, then you're good.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

toplitzin posted:

Some dealers usually offer $300 clutch replacement deals. Which is a STEAL considering the time it takes to pull a clutch usually. Unsure if it covers a flywheel turn or not... But certainly worth checking into.

Kelmo
Jul 29, 2002

sidney crosby is my favorite player because he skates fast and he shoots the puck and it goes in the net and everyone cheers and i love him
So I'm not much of a car guy, have a 2000 Legacy wagon. For the past few months, its been burning up coolant but there's no leaks. Is this my headgasket going bad for sure or could it be something less costly? Also would you recommend replacing the HG (155k mi) or trying to get a new car?

Should this go in the stupid car questions?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Kelmo posted:

So I'm not much of a car guy, have a 2000 Legacy wagon. For the past few months, its been burning up coolant but there's no leaks. Is this my headgasket going bad for sure or could it be something less costly? Also would you recommend replacing the HG (155k mi) or trying to get a new car?

Should this go in the stupid car questions?

No leaks under the car? No coolant smell after it warms up and you've driven around for a while?

What did your oil look like the last time you changed it? Did it have a certain chocolate moose quality to it? A bit of froth perhaps? Do you smell coolant from your oil filler port (honestly don't know if that works or not, but it makes sense in my head).

Kelmo
Jul 29, 2002

sidney crosby is my favorite player because he skates fast and he shoots the puck and it goes in the net and everyone cheers and i love him

Amandyke posted:

No leaks under the car? No coolant smell after it warms up and you've driven around for a while?

What did your oil look like the last time you changed it? Did it have a certain chocolate moose quality to it? A bit of froth perhaps? Do you smell coolant from your oil filler port (honestly don't know if that works or not, but it makes sense in my head).

No leaks under my car, I...don't change my own oil so I don't know. I smell coolant after driving around yes.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Similar question - definitely have a blown head gasket plus a bad radiator on a '98 Forester with 185k miles. I'm already looking for another car, but just in case, would new gaskets even be worth the effort? I have the time, but I'm not sure that I have the space or the expertise.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

blargle posted:

I was hoping to limp through winter with the summer tires on my 2011 WRX, but it's clear they plan to kill me long before spring. I only deal with maybe 5 snow days a year. Does anyone have recommendations on high performance all seasons? According to NASIOC these are the best tires:

1.) Potenza RE960 Pole Position
2.) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
3.) Continental Extreme Contact DWS
4.) Advan S4
5.) BF Goodrich Super Sport A/S
6.) P-Zero Nero M&S
7.) Eagle F1 All-Season

Why not spring for some performance snow tires? Hold onto your summer tires and buy a set of '02 wheels for it... tires will be less expensive too!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Blaise posted:

Why not spring for some performance snow tires? Hold onto your summer tires and buy a set of '02 wheels for it... tires will be less expensive too!

Eh, he's in an area without much snow. I wouldn't bother with snows, even high performance ones.

I would go with either the RE960as or the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. The later has better snow traction but is a little softer in the sidewall. I've had two sets of RE960as on my '02 and they got me through 4 western PA winters without any drama and they are pretty great in other conditions.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Kelmo posted:

No leaks under my car, I...don't change my own oil so I don't know. I smell coolant after driving around yes.

Could be a leaking radiator cap, leaking radiator hose (likely a top one as you're not seeing puddles), could also be a leak in the radiator itself. Next time to come home from work (or otherwise get the car nice and warmed up) leave it running and check under the hood for fresh coolant. Keep an eye out for dried up coolant around the engine bay as well.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.
So, I've had about a month with my slushbox-equipped 2009 Impreza with about 26k miles. All in all, I think it's a good car. I traded in my 2008 2WD MT reg cab Tacoma that I liked a lot for this car because I have a long obsession with the WRX/STi and Subarus in general. I had a early 90's FWD Subaru wagon that simply would NOT die no matter how much abuse I hurled at it.

I was planning on keeping the truck, but it did not have a passenger airbag key-off, only the sensor in the seat. Toyota refused to deactivate the airbag without written permission from the company and then wanted to charge an arm and a leg to do so. The next day I was car shopping.
Edit: needed to ditch the airbag because of imminent arrival of baby.

I generally do my own minor maintenance. The guys at the dealership told me the oil only needs changing every 5k. They told me the same about the Tacoma but I routinely changed the oil every 3k with full synthetic. From what I've gathered on this thread, Rotella is a good oil for this car? What about filters? I generally use Wex. Anything in general I should look out for on this car? Should I bother to change the rear diff oil? As someone who is OCD about the appearance of my vehicles, I've been pretty disappointed with paint quality. I've read over and over that this is a Subaru trait, but the long hours of buffing the swirls and streaks from the previous owner's automatic car wash fetish is irritating and enough to know that my STi will be white.

I plan only having this car for about two years and then trading in for a new STi (crossing my fingers for the new models to be awesome and have more power). There are minor annoyances with this car that I can deal with until then. The rattles from the hard plastic dash on rough roads make me grind my teeth, but when I'm alone I can just crank up the stereo. The stereo on any new vehicle should have an auxiliary input these days, and the automatic tranny is pretty lame. Four gears? Seriously. It should have five or at least change the ratio on fourth gear. I should be able to cruise the freeway at 80 and not be at 3500 rpms.

Wow this went overboard.

TL;DR
Bought Subaru and am mostly happy despite some shortcomings

War Bunny fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 25, 2011

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

Catsoup posted:

And to just confirm, I should get an Accessport and do a stage 1 tune on it right when it rolls off the lot correct?

This is just me, but I would want to master the car stock, then add more power.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

War Bunny posted:

The car's driveability is maintained after a good stage 1 tune. I actually found it easier to drive because of some adjustment of the off-idle timing area and some alteration of the throttle curve.

That's part of the magic of these cars, that you can throw on some really big power mods before it starts to infringe upon whether or not you can take it to work in the morning.

Catsoup
Mar 4, 2009

War Bunny posted:

Well the tune wasn't so much for power, but because I can't get 93 octane out in Denver very easily so I would do a 91 octane tune and hopefully save the engine's health.

KleenexCMW
Dec 26, 2003
That's no pumpkin, that's a beetroot!
My wife and I are seriously contemplating breeding in the near future and I'd like to ditch my lovely 2005 Chevy Cobalt coupe for something with 4 doors for ease of car seat access. I've been drooling over a new WRX sedan but haven't had a chance to test drive one yet and I was wondering if anyone has experience with the back seats in one, especially with child seats. My second choice would be a Legacy 2.5GT since I'm sure that would have plenty of room, but I'd like to keep the total price tag under $30,000 which I don't think the 2.5GT will accomplish.

Any advice from parental Subaru goons is appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

KleenexCMW posted:

My wife and I are seriously contemplating breeding in the near future and I'd like to ditch my lovely 2005 Chevy Cobalt coupe for something with 4 doors for ease of car seat access. I've been drooling over a new WRX sedan but haven't had a chance to test drive one yet and I was wondering if anyone has experience with the back seats in one, especially with child seats. My second choice would be a Legacy 2.5GT since I'm sure that would have plenty of room, but I'd like to keep the total price tag under $30,000 which I don't think the 2.5GT will accomplish.

Any advice from parental Subaru goons is appreciated!

The rear-facing baby seats take up a ton of room...they're longer than they appear once you get them in the car. We had to put ours in the rear passenger side because it would have been impossible for me to drive with so little leg room. This from a guy who's barely 5'10"

Oh yeah, 09 Impreza sedan, if you didn't read my previous posts.

---
As for the tuning, that's pretty awesome to be able to get down to 91 octane instead of 93 with the accessport.