Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fox of Stone posted:

And that when Luke screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! down the cloud city shaft

Never happened, he fell gracefully and accepted his fate :colbert:

e: When even George Lucas undoes one of his SE changes you know it was a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's why I don't really want to buy the blu-ray: because you know it will only have the newest version. With even more pointless add-ons like Luke building his lightsaber on tatooine.

Speaking of which, is there any way to get the special editions on some newer format without the add-ons like Vader's ghost being played by the dude from the prequels? Does some version of a DVD have them? (Latest version I have of the movies are on VHS and laserdisc.)

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Fox of Stone posted:

Speaking of which, is there any way to get the special editions on some newer format without the add-ons like Vader's ghost being played by the dude from the prequels?

Get a good lawyer to argue that George Lucas should be considered mentally incompetent and unable to properly manage his intellectual properties. Have the ownership of said properties transferred over to his ex-wife. Doing so will get you exactly what you want.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Angry Midwesterner posted:

I'm sure the odds are very high this has already been asked, but did the EU even bother to give an explanation as to the Jedi having no clue about Darth Sidious after Episode I when they capture Nute Gunray? Don't all the stories make a big deal about the Trade Federation guys being huge cowards and you'd think they would at least interrogate him thoroughly since he was hanging around with Maul even if he did end up not getting convicted of anything... but it seems like as far as a lot of stories are concerned they couldn't even figure out Darth Maul's name (though sometimes they say it, like in the latest Clone Wars episode).

Man, not one of you wants to :spergin: about the Gunray/Sidious question?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 25, 2011

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Star Wars is the only CCG I kept all the cards for. I really doubt Ill ever get to play with anyone again, but its good to be prepared! I loving loved that game. Its complicatedness was freekin awesome when most other CCGs were pretty much 'like magic except ______.'

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NeonTurtle posted:

Found a Korean blog where the guy is building a 1/8000 scale model of the Executor. At 171 cm long he thinks it'll be the largest one besides the studio model.

Yeah, he's nuts but that is huge and really well done.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Man, not one of you wants to :sperg: about the Gunray/Sidious question?

Well, the ambassadors sent by the Republic (two Jedi, no less) reported that there was a trade blockade and invasion, and the only response was to propose to formation of a committee. What sort of investigation did you expect?

Real answer: Japanese stereotypes would die rather than jeopardize their (future) Emperor.

New question: What's the background on the X-Wing pilot in ESB who provides the awful delivery of "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?" He strikes me as the guy who was picking his nose during most squadron briefings.

Also, who was the general in Echo Base? The guy who was sorry to see Han go, etc.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Derek Dominoe posted:

New question: What's the background on the X-Wing pilot in ESB who provides the awful delivery of "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?" He strikes me as the guy who was picking his nose during most squadron briefings.
That's Derek "Hobbie" Klivian, one of the Rebellion's goto guys and one of the funnier characters in the Rogue Squadron books. His concern at the admittedly retarded plan is less because he's an idiot and more because he has an unfortunate habit of getting exploded and spending months in a bacta tank.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Derek Dominoe posted:

Also, who was the general in Echo Base? The guy who was sorry to see Han go, etc.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Carlist_Rieekan

This guy

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
You could just name him Carl you know. He even looks like a Carl.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Slantedfloors posted:

That's Derek "Hobbie" Klivian, one of the Rebellion's goto guys and one of the funnier characters in the Rogue Squadron books. His concern at the admittedly retarded plan is less because he's an idiot and more because he has an unfortunate habit of getting exploded and spending months in a bacta tank.

"Sponsorships. I could do that, I've had offers from bacta manufacturers; bacta's a type of medicine."
"Are you not well?"
"Oh I'm healthy enough, its just that me and the ground get along a little too vigorously at times."

:v:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Torael_7 posted:

"Sponsorships. I could do that, I've had offers from bacta manufacturers; bacta's a type of medicine."
"Are you not well?"
"Oh I'm healthy enough, its just that me and the ground get along a little too vigorously at times."

:v:

He's also got the mournful looking face that just makes all the ladies want to comfort him!

X-Wing books are the best! (ok, so Thrawn trilogy/duology might be "better", but these are the most fun :colbert:). My first Star Wars book ever was Rogue Squadron. My 12 year old self didn't pick up on all the sexual innuendo between Corran/Mirax/Erisi. :downs:

Has any material covered what Han Luke and Leia were up to while Rogue Squadron took Coruscant? I love how the X-Wing books occasionally crammed them in, but it was mostly cameo appearances and nothing plot-critical.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I loving loved those books. I still catch myself referring to those ships as 'squints, eyeballs, dupes, ImpStar Deuce, etc."

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

I loving loved those books. I still catch myself referring to those ships as 'squints, eyeballs, dupes, ImpStar Deuce, etc."

And brights! Kre'fey wouldn't understand :colbert:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fox of Stone posted:

What. My 7 year old brother figured it out well enough for us to play. All we have now are magic and WoW TCGs...nothing that lets you snipe through Jabba's palace at someone near the Sarlaac next door while you steal their TIE fighter playing sabacc. I'm sad that the license was given to WOTC (guess why: they're owned by hasbro) to make their stupid game which failed within a year. We might still have SWCCG if it weren't for that. :(

I think the problem with the Star Wars CCG is that it continued to get more and more complicated as time went on. The premiere set wasn't too bad. Being at certain locations to attack certain characters was weird, but nothing too confusing once you got used to it. They added events (I don't remember what they were actually called. Epic Events maybe?) like using the Death Star to blow things up, or blowing up the Death Star, and it got slightly more complicated, but still manageable. Then Jedi Tests (or whatever) with the Dagobah set made it even more complicated. By the time I quit playing, I hadn't done that great at keeping up with buy new sets, and playing against people who had kept up with them confused the hell out of me. "'Death Star II's movements are immune to revolution?' What the gently caress does that mean?" (Please don't explain revolution to me, I'm just using it as an example.)

I mean, just look at the long description of rules for this card. They couldn't even fit a picture on there!

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 25, 2011

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Star Wars is the only CCG I kept all the cards for. I really doubt Ill ever get to play with anyone again, but its good to be prepared! I loving loved that game. Its complicatedness was freekin awesome when most other CCGs were pretty much 'like magic except ______.'

The Star Wars ccg is actually the only ccg I could ever get into. i tried magic a few years later but it literally almost led to his death (we were fighting over this stupid collectors edition box set with like two decks or whatever, I had a hold of it and he tried to take it out of my hand. Went back and forth until he lost his grip and flew over backwards into traffic and a bus was like 10cm from plowing into him :eek: )so we stopped that.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, just look at the long description of rules for this card. They couldn't even fit a picture on there!

I eventually got into playing the CCG but my friends were never interested. It was pretty great just for collecting, though, due to all of the stories and art. I eventually managed to acquire all of the named Star Destroyers (prior to Cloud City when interest dried up).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Azzmo posted:

I eventually got into playing the CCG but my friends were never interested. It was pretty great just for collecting, though, due to all of the stories and art. I eventually managed to acquire all of the named Star Destroyers (prior to Cloud City when interest dried up).

It would be interesting to see somebody dub the prequels with some voice actors. Surprised nobody's done it. The results would probably be better than what we got (or funnier).

Penrose Stares
Jan 3, 2011

by Ozma

Gammatron 64 posted:

It would be interesting to see somebody dub the prequels with some voice actors. Surprised nobody's done it. The results would probably be better than what we got (or funnier).

Oh man. I know Goon Projects get a bad rap but that would have the potential to own the hell out of even RiffTrax. I think the people from this thread would be great to do this, given their knowledge of SW and their cynicism towards it.

Croatian
Jul 28, 2003

by Fistgrrl
What species do Han Solo, Lando, and basically most protagonists belong to?

If the setting is a long time ago in a galaxy far away, how is it possible that they are modern Earth humans?

I imagine that's been asked before but I couldn't find the question.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Croatian posted:

If the setting is a long time ago in a galaxy far away, how is it possible that they are modern Earth humans?

I think it's an astounding coincidence. Same reason why Basic is, amazingly, precisely the same language as Earth English.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

movax posted:

The hilarious part about the TCG is that it's a source for artwork for characters/ships/things that would otherwise never be pictured. 9 times out of 10, when I click to see the source of a pic on Wookieepedia, it's from the TCG.

When the Japanese artwork got brought up I realized how much of it ended up being the picture used on Wikipedia. I had figured most of it was commissioned art.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Penrose Stares posted:

Oh man. I know Goon Projects get a bad rap but that would have the potential to own the hell out of even RiffTrax. I think the people from this thread would be great to do this, given their knowledge of SW and their cynicism towards it.

Yeah no.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Croatian posted:

Time Machine. Han Solo goes forward in time to the american southwest in a comic, I think, so it might also work the other way. Group of humans who set out for the great beyond in 30XX and end up in the Star Wars galaxy. Might also explain why they know Basic.

thrawn527 posted:

I think the problem with the Star Wars CCG is that it continued to get more and more complicated as time went on. The premiere set wasn't too bad. Being at certain locations to attack certain characters was weird, but nothing too confusing once you got used to it. They added events (I don't remember what they were actually called. Epic Events maybe?) like using the Death Star to blow things up, or blowing up the Death Star, and it got slightly more complicated, but still manageable. Then Jedi Tests (or whatever) with the Dagobah set made it even more complicated. By the time I quit playing, I hadn't done that great at keeping up with buy new sets, and playing against people who had kept up with them confused the hell out of me. "'Death Star II's movements are immune to revolution?' What the gently caress does that mean?" (Please don't explain revolution to me, I'm just using it as an example.)

We got in around Jabba's Palace and rode it all the way 'til the end. Epic Events and similar things weren't very difficult since you really only had one in play and they were all similar to effects anyway.

If I recall, the picture on that card is on the other side. :v: To be fair, the rules text for that specific card is more or less an epic event so it pretty much needs to be a rules card. Anyway, it's no more difficult than Magic mechanics - Magic just has keywords to cheat more effects on the card without additional text. Hell, I'd say it's even easier since it doesn't have weird timing and layering issues that are central to Magic and confuse people but is handwaved away since most people will never come across them.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Croatian posted:

They're humans, nothing more and nothing less. In the GFFA, they're an ancient species whose homeworld and origins are lost to history, and it's not clear why they appear to be identical to Earth humans.

IMHO, Basic is the language that the "real" Star Wars people spoke, and the film actors are speaking English for our benefit. People speak modern English in virtually every other Hollywood movie with a non-English speaking setting, so why should Star Wars be any different?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Croatian posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_Exodus

This, duh

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nckdictator posted:

This, duh

Wow, I was joking when I typed my answer but it's a thing. A real thing. Good thing English then and in the future is the same as the English of the 20th century. :v:

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

He led the Purina army.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Fox of Stone posted:

Time Machine. Han Solo goes forward in time to the american southwest in a comic, I think, so it might also work the other way.

Yeah, it was a non-canon comic where Han + Chewie make a blind hyperspace jump, end up on 19th century Earth, Han gets fatally skewered by some Indians and dies in the Falcon. Later, Indiana Jones stumbles onto the Falcon with Short Round, it's "eerily familiar" and decides to leave it alone.

Chewbacca watches this happen and then returns to the woods to stalk through them as Bigfoot. Pretty fun little comic.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

movax posted:

Yeah, it was a non-canon comic where Han + Chewie make a blind hyperspace jump, end up on 19th century Earth, Han gets fatally skewered by some Indians and dies in the Falcon. Later, Indiana Jones stumbles onto the Falcon with Short Round, it's "eerily familiar" and decides to leave it alone.

Chewbacca watches this happen and then returns to the woods to stalk through them as Bigfoot. Pretty fun little comic.

You found it fun? I found it immensely depressing. Chewbacca stuck on loving 20th century Earth, alone. :smith:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Biplane posted:

You found it fun? I found it immensely depressing. Chewbacca stuck on loving 20th century Earth, alone. :smith:

As I posted that summary, I was thinking "man, Wookiees live a really long time." He'd be around until like 2200 :smith:

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
^^ Where do you think Sasquatch came from?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

This, duh
Speaking of this, the article mentions Alien Chronicles which I remember hearing about in the late 90's and was reminded of again recently. Has anybody read those books? They've got good reviews on Amazon but I'm curious what the more discerning minds around here might have thought.

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

feedmyleg posted:

Never happened, he fell gracefully and accepted his fate :colbert:

e: When even George Lucas undoes one of his SE changes you know it was a bad idea.

Wait, what?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Donkey Kunt posted:

Wait, what?

The scream was added in in the Special Editions (a modified version of the Emperor's scream at the end of Jedi, IIRC), but then taken back out in the 2004 DVDs. Which is great because it was far worse a change than Greedo shooting first ever was.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pththya-lyi posted:

IMHO, Basic is the language that the "real" Star Wars people spoke, and the film actors are speaking English for our benefit. People speak modern English in virtually every other Hollywood movie with a non-English speaking setting, so why should Star Wars be any different?

Since the writing was all in made up alien characters, Aurebesh, I also assumed that Basic was another language but not used because it would be stupid to watch a movie where they speak a bullshit language most the way through.

It works in the Lord of the Rings books and movies because Tolkien was a linguist and they're all based on real working languages. I'm sure Lucas' Basic would sound like a bad episode of ZOOM.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Donkey Kunt posted:

Wait, what?

I think I see the confusion. I think this...

Fox of Stone posted:

The card game is the only reason why I can name each of the aliens in the cantina as well as their histories. And that when Luke screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! down the cloud city shaft, there were 13 O's.

Was referring to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M241GwjRy4&t=6m29s

And not this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaXgK5HRBjk&t=17s

Which is what the responses were talking about. (And which isn't exactly a "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO," more of a "YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH")

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
It's kinda funny that Lucas didn't fix some of the real flubs in the OT with the special editions. Like the ellipses with 4 periods in the opening crawl, or Ford's infamous 'parsec' line. I realize correcting grammar isn't as exciting as blocking the frame with bad CGI, but you're monkeying around with them anyway so why not?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Fledgling Gulps posted:

It's kinda funny that Lucas didn't fix some of the real flubs in the OT with the special editions. Like the ellipses with 4 periods in the opening crawl, or Ford's infamous 'parsec' line. I realize correcting grammar isn't as exciting as blocking the frame with bad CGI, but you're monkeying around with them anyway so why not?

He also didn't fix much in the line of errors. Such as the "Emperor's slugs" or how you can see Han's reflection on a plexiglass window to protect from from an explosions as he runs from the shield generator. I'm not sure if they fixed the little blurrs under the landspeeder, either. They did actually add a audible "clunk" when a stormtrooper hits his head on a door on the Death Star. That's cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The blurs under the land speeders were fixed, Jorge goes on and on about on Behind the Magic. Also gently caress changing the English words on the tractor beam generator in New Hope to Aurebesh.