Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

El Duke posted:

He had a try-out match, I didn't hear about anything further.

I don't know why the idea of trying out for TNA is so humorous for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hockles posted:

I don't know why the idea of trying out for TNA is so humorous for me.

Here's why: They make the wrestlers trying out fly themselves to Orlando and pay for their own hotel room.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

El Duke posted:

For awhile, Bischoff and crew were finalizing the show minutes before it went to air.

Bischoff also called a few audibles during his tenure; he'd make a change to the schedule while they were on the air in order to counter something Vince was doing on nights Raw was live.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

tzirean posted:

Bischoff also called a few audibles during his tenure; he'd make a change to the schedule while they were on the air in order to counter something Vince was doing on nights Raw was live.

Was it actually a thing where Hogan made fun of a dirtsheet on the air for writing up what was happening because they had it wrong.... only the reason they were "wrong" is because they were right and Bischoff quickly changed what was happening to something that was terrible and made no sense just to prove the dirtsheets wrong? Or is that just an urban legend?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Was it actually a thing where Hogan made fun of a dirtsheet on the air for writing up what was happening because they had it wrong.... only the reason they were "wrong" is because they were right and Bischoff quickly changed what was happening to something that was terrible and made no sense just to prove the dirtsheets wrong? Or is that just an urban legend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1As4UVCkkKk

I believe Macho was injured, as per an Observer report, and Hogan claimed he wasn't.

This is also the origin of "The internet's got the scoops, brother!"

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 25, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I believe Macho was injured, as per an Observer report, and Hogan claimed he wasn't.

So of course during Macho's match he comes out with his arm visibly injured, and that plays into the match despite Hogan's claims Macho wasn't hurt.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Basically, Hogan claimed that Savage wasn't injured (which he obviously was) and that they'd worked everyone, including the dirtsheets, who had claimed that Savage was injured and wouldn't win World War III because of it, and instead the Giant would win.

Of course, the Observer said that Savage was going to win WW3 anyway (which he did) so Hogan just lied to make it look like the Observer was full of poo poo.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Has anyone besides Low Ki really used TNA as a stepping stone to get to the WWE?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tyma posted:

Has anyone besides Low Ki really used TNA as a stepping stone to get to the WWE?

Hopefully she will do better but Awesome Kong.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Tyma posted:

Christian :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tyma posted:

You could argue that Chris Harris and Lance Hoyt would never have captured WWE's eye if they hadn't been active wrestlers in TNA, I guess.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Tyma posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwyFABQX62A

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Tyma posted:

"The Alpha Male" Monty Brown (Marcus Cor Von). I miss the Down With The Sickness theme he had in TNA. Very WCW-esque.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.
Wasn't CM Punk in TNA for a time? I know his work in ROH is what really got him noticed, but I'm sure the small time he spent in TNA didn't hurt.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
I have a wrestling question.

At the start of the catchphrase reel at the beginning of the show theres a clip of a black and white old timey looking match. Does anyone know who is working in that match?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I think it's the famous Caddock/Stecher match from MSG which is considered the oldest pro wrestling film still in existence but I'm not 100% sure. Dave and Bryan have discussed it on Observer Radio at some point or another.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

jeffersonlives posted:

I think it's the famous Caddock/Stecher match from MSG which is considered the oldest pro wrestling film still in existence but I'm not 100% sure. Dave and Bryan have discussed it on Observer Radio at some point or another.

Watching that match on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQl6mmAtkbE for anyone interested) it doesnt seem to be it. The intro one seems to have some kind of colliseum background whereas Caddock/Stecher is more a haze.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

I vaguely remember Karl Stern saying it was even older, from 1908. I think the Caddock/Stecher footage is the second grainy footage shown, while the first (from the lower camera angle) is from 1908. I can't remember who is in it. I am almost positive it is not Caddock/Stecher as it doesn't look like the footage from that match I have seen.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

MassRayPer posted:

I vaguely remember Karl Stern saying it was even older, from 1908. I think the Caddock/Stecher footage is the second grainy footage shown, while the first (from the lower camera angle) is from 1908. I can't remember who is in it.

That sounds about right. So the answer is basically "e-mail Dave or Karl Stern."

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

MrMondayNight posted:

Watching that match on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQl6mmAtkbE for anyone interested) it doesnt seem to be it. The intro one seems to have some kind of colliseum background whereas Caddock/Stecher is more a haze.

The match seems to end with both wrestlers and the referee merging into one single, blurry entity, and wriggling around in the corner of the ring.

Russo :argh:

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

jeffersonlives posted:

That sounds about right. So the answer is basically "e-mail Dave or Karl Stern."

I assume I have to be a member for that and alas I am not. The search continues!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrMondayNight posted:

I assume I have to be a member for that and alas I am not. The search continues!

Nope, you can find his contact info here: http://www.karlstern.com/ So email him or tweet him or something. I imagine he'll reply. I'm going to take a quick look through some of his newsletters on the Observer site myself as I want to remember.

I believe the footage is in the WWE vault and has never been leaked to the public other than that clip.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

MassRayPer posted:

Nope, you can find his contact info here: http://www.karlstern.com/ So email him or tweet him or something. I imagine he'll reply. I'm going to take a quick look through some of his newsletters on the Observer site myself as I want to remember.

I believe the footage is in the WWE vault and has never been leaked to the public other than that clip.

Well I've sent him an email so hopefully I'll get an answer soon. I'll put it up here if I do incase you havent found it in the newsletters yet :)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Somebody with an at least partially working microphone should redo this. He's just reading off of that poster someone made.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Alot of the time I think it was just their way of trying to get people to watch Thunder and making them think that they were 'missing something' that they'd have to tune in for later to see. I remember being hooked by that alot during the time and when Thunder would come up they'd mention what happened that you've already seen but not show the viewer or talk about additional things that happened when they were off the air. WCW would make it sound like they were gonna show you or tell you about whatever wacky event they made you think happened after the show went off and then 'welp, some stuff happend on Nitro lets talk about Hulk Hogan for two hours even though he wont appear on this show because its beneath him!" at the beginning of Thunder.
Were you a kid at the time? I was and I got suckered in by this just about every time, for the most part it seems like the only people Bischcoff ever suckered with these kinds of tactics were kids, who only had their parents income to blow on the product and who's parents were most likely reluctant to do so if they knew anything about the quality of the product.

Well them and the father of a kid I went to primary (elementary) school with who seemed like more of a mark than any kid in retrospect. However this man also collected Poke'mon cards or any other fad aimed at children that was going around and was convinced Lylat Wars on N64 was one of the most challenging games in existence.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Does anyone else watch AWA on ESPN Classics?

I saw Phillip Stamp, the trampoline enthusiast/Terry Funks buddy from Beyond The Mat get the poo poo beat out of him by Colonel DeBeers and the Main Event was the Midnight Rockers vs. some jobber team.
Haha, I like that a guy with so much pride will be diminished in memory as 'the trampoline guy' by a larger audience then that which most likely ever saw him wrestle.

Tyma posted:

The match seems to end with both wrestlers and the referee merging into one single, blurry entity, and wriggling around in the corner of the ring.

Russo :argh:
This made me laugh.

Russo tackles the philosophical implications of quantum physics.

It doesn't matter who has the belt, because everyone is champion as all matter is part of a unified field on a quantum level. :downs:

Anyway.

So how do people access FCW material?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 25, 2011

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Some guy records the shows and then puts them on the internet.

Karl Ontario posted:

Wasn't CM Punk in TNA for a time? I know his work in ROH is what really got him noticed, but I'm sure the small time he spent in TNA didn't hurt.

Yeah but that would be back when they were doing Weekly PPVs and it wasn't like he was on every show. He left the company early 2004.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 25, 2011

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Sue Denim posted:

So how do people access FCW material?

Most full episodes are on Youtube.

It's only aired in Florida, and everyone seems completely cool with it being watched on Youtube.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks Hulkamatt.

One more question:

When did people outside the industry become knowledgeable of Hogan's true character, in relation to the egotism, lying, exaggerating and politicking?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 25, 2011

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Question about an old angle that I remember vaguely: On the Raw where Mick Foley won the title ("that'll put butts in seats"), there was a brief segment where Shawn Michaels was found unconscious in the back. The implication seemed to be that dX (face faction at the time) had sold him out, but the focus of the show quickly shifted to the Rock/Mankind title match, and later Austin's return. Was that meant to foreshadow some kind of heel turn for dX, or perhaps an earlier return to the ring for HBK that didn't pan out? I guess the most likely answer is that it was a Russo red herring, but I was curious.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

"The Alpha Male" Monty Brown (Marcus Cor Von). I miss the Down With The Sickness theme he had in TNA. Very WCW-esque.
Please tell me you do not prefer his second rate nu-metal TNA theme to the amazing theme he had in WWECW. The Marcus Cor Von theme is one of the best themes that they've used in the last ten years!

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Minidust posted:

Question about an old angle that I remember vaguely: On the Raw where Mick Foley won the title ("that'll put butts in seats"), there was a brief segment where Shawn Michaels was found unconscious in the back. The implication seemed to be that dX (face faction at the time) had sold him out, but the focus of the show quickly shifted to the Rock/Mankind title match, and later Austin's return. Was that meant to foreshadow some kind of heel turn for dX, or perhaps an earlier return to the ring for HBK that didn't pan out? I guess the most likely answer is that it was a Russo red herring, but I was curious.

One word: Somas.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Minidust posted:

Do you mean the time he was found face down on a windscreen all smashed up? Or are they two seperate attacks?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MisterGBH posted:

Do you mean the time he was found face down on a windscreen all smashed up? Or are they two seperate attacks?
Separate attack, but now that I've looked up a recap of that Raw it seems like they actually showed the Corporation attack Shawn. I think Shawn had just turned face in his non-wrestling commissioner role, and briefly re-aligned with dX. After he was attacked, I suspected dX of selling him out to the corporation, but I don't remember if there was any onscreen evidence of this or if my young mark self just had a very active imagination.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Tyma posted:

Tenacious Z?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Why did it take so long for Booker T and RVD to become world champions? Both were super over and some of the hardest workers to ever step in the ring, which is why its puzzling.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Minidust posted:

Separate attack, but now that I've looked up a recap of that Raw it seems like they actually showed the Corporation attack Shawn. I think Shawn had just turned face in his non-wrestling commissioner role, and briefly re-aligned with dX. After he was attacked, I suspected dX of selling him out to the corporation, but I don't remember if there was any onscreen evidence of this or if my young mark self just had a very active imagination.

If I recall correctly, Shawn turned face and allied himself with DX and made a match that favoured them (or something to that effect), but was then found unconscious. Then later, DX are seen making comments to the effect that they just used HBK to get something out of him, and that they gave no shits that he'd been attacked and made no effort to help him because they hadn't forgiven him for when he turned heel on them in the first place and joined the corporation. So, they didn't really sell him out, they just used him and didn't give a poo poo when he got attacked.

That's how I remember it anyway.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
When there is a mystery in WWE, it's usually easiest wisest to blame the Big Bossman.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Writer Cath posted:

When there is a mystery in WWE, it's usually easiest wisest to blame the Big Bossman.

Rikishi

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ColeM posted:

Why did it take so long for Booker T and RVD to become world champions? Both were super over and some of the hardest workers to ever step in the ring, which is why its puzzling.

In RVD's case I can only assume it was something to do with his heavy drug use since they actually made a point of acknowledging how over he was when he first showed up in WWE. As for Booker T, I really don't know why it took them so long, he was one of the shining lights at the end of WCW and came into WWE as the WCW Champion, but once he lost the title to the Rock he was pretty much out of the title scene for like 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Booker T is black.

You can paint it however you want, but there's really no other reason than that.

Which is incredibly sad.