  • Post
Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Part of me wonders if I just worried about getting laid in high school instead of math competitions/programming, if I'd still have ended up in the same place in life. I hope the answer is no. :(

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I'm honestly pretty neutral toward Morningside. I like the space, and the fact that it's a little quieter than down town (I live on Morningside Park). Also, I'm pretty close to the 125th St. ABCD station, which means I can get anywhere in the city pretty drat quickly.

On the other hand, it DOES get pretty old going to the same bunch of restaurants or sandwich shops for lunch every day. Regardless, I'm glad to be here, instead of Ithaca or wherever the gently caress.

I heard the Columbia gym is tied for shittiest gym in the country. Are there places nearby to work out with solid equipment? (a squat rack, for instance)

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Colorblind Pilot posted:

I heard the Columbia gym is tied for shittiest gym in the country. Are there places nearby to work out with solid equipment? (a squat rack, for instance)

Yeah, it's pretty lovely. I still use it, though, and yes it does have a squat rack. If you live south of campus and absolutely have to use something else, there is a New York Sports Club on 94th Street and Broadway that shouldn't be too tough to get to.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Somebody was asking about NYU. I think I might be the only one on this thread (who admits) going there.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Daico posted:

So I withdrew on Friday, returned my scholarship/loan disbursements today, and am marching blindly on. Hopefully not into a wall. I've got stage 2 of an interview (got through a friend; Thanks CSO lessons on networking!) on Thursday and a few other leads.

I'm going to go back and study something worth my time.

Edit: I'm gonna keep reading. For Ainsley.

drat it we were supposed to do this together and join the French Foreign Legion.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
French Foreign legion was my law school backup.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Part of me wonders if I just worried about getting laid in high school instead of math competitions/programming, if I'd still have ended up in the same place in life. I hope the answer is no. :(

Sorry, but 16 year old fat neckbeards who smoke pot their mother's basement while playing DnD and fantasizing about owning people in passionate debates after graduating law school do not (contrary to popular belief) have any chance at getting laid. Ergo, nobody in this thread got laid in high school. Except entris 'cause he loves Hearts.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 25, 2011

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BigHead posted:

Sorry, but 16 year old fat neckbeards who smoke pot their mother's basement while playing DnD and fantasizing about owning people in passionate debates after graduating law school do not (contrary to popular belief) have any chance at getting laid. Ergo, nobody in this thread got laid in high school. Except entris 'cause he loves Hearts.

I will have you know that I lost my virginity after graduating from high school, thank you very much. :colbert:

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Colorblind Pilot posted:

I heard the Columbia gym is tied for shittiest gym in the country. Are there places nearby to work out with solid equipment? (a squat rack, for instance)

if u are thinking about using the squat rack when i want it then no it does not have a squat rack

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
If I eat another burger from hamdell I might just seppuku.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

billion dollar bitch posted:

If I eat another burger from hamdell I might just seppuku.

I order the double and every time I do I need to explain to the chefs what that entails precisely

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Subsconscious is better anyways. I got tired of Hamilton pretty quickly.

And the gym isnt that bad, just a little old.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

William Munny posted:

drat it we were supposed to do this together and join the French Foreign Legion.

It's cool, Bill, I know how much you love law school. I'll miss you most of all!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Petey posted:

That's true. But so was I (which was part of the reason I was so desperate in this thread in version #9 or so). Very rarely does a day go by when I do not thank cthulhu that I did not go to Cardozo. This thread probably saved my life (for I would have taken it).

Just to reinforce the debt point:

The total cost of law school is:

tuition + living expenses (rent, food, etc) + not getting paid / saving from another job + not getting 3 years of advancement at that job.

Obviously if you have no job and no prospects for one the cost is limited to the first two factors; however, keep in mind that you may also have no job and no prospects for one after law school.

Uh, I'm pretty sure you still have to pay for rent and food even if you don't go to law school, you're making the same mistake (in the opposite direction) as people who don't count lost wages as part of the cost of extra education.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

TheBestDeception posted:

Subsconscious is better anyways. I got tired of Hamilton pretty quickly.

And the gym isnt that bad, just a little old.

HamDel<<<<<<<<<<Subsconscious<M2M<Appletree

Imagine Milano is about a foot to the right.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I can't imagine graduating law school into today's job market. It took me two years to find my feet after getting my JD from a T20.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Appletree is so expensive, and Milano is so far. It's amazing how large distances became after I moved to NYC from the suburbs...

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Holland Oats posted:

I'm a CLS 1L.

I'm citechecking a LR article by some Colombia prof named Steinitz right now. I don't know who's worse with footnotes: her, or her R.A.s. This is seriously torture.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Feces Starship posted:

I agree with Defleshed. Debt load is a major part of the concern you should have when thinking about law school.

For example, I'm in a really good place relative to most law students: I'm at Columbia, I have a scholarship that pays for one third of my total debt load, I have less than $20K of undergraduate debt and I have employment lined up for next summer which I feel decent (but not rock-solid!) about turning into a full-time gig.

The thing is though that I'd like to impress on most people reading this thread is that your chances of having it as good as I do are really, really slim - almost every opportunity broke my way. So if you read that and thought "ew you're going to be ~160K in debt gross man" then I gotta tell you dear readers law school is almost certainly not for you.

So you have a summer job, some undergrad debt still unpaid, and you're paying 2/3ds of your tuition yourself? Yeah, your debt situation really isn't that good, I wouldn't start feeling like the gods were really favoring you or anything. If you don't land that job, you're in 66% of the poo poo that the worst-situated law student is in.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure you still have to pay for rent and food even if you don't go to law school,

Yes, but not in Manhatten.

Also gently caress this gay earth:

Date: Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:03 AM
Subject: [bioundgrd] Fwd: THIS FRIDAY: Why MIT Students Should Go to Law School
To: bioundgrd@mit.edu

--
Why MIT Students Should Go to Law School
Rosalind Williams, Professor, Science, Technology, & Society (STS)

MIT is renowned for its education in science and engineering - but this does not mean you should limit your life plans to a becoming a scientist or engineer. Some of the most intellectually challenging and socially significant dimensions of science and engineering are encountered in legal careers. This session is designed to introduce MIT undergraduates to three lawyers whose practices involve different aspects of science and engineering, ranging from broadband policy to patent law to research university issues. The three lawyer-guests will describe their practices in order to give an overview of the various possibilities for legal careers that MIT students should consider. They will also respond to questions from the floor in an open discussion. Students will discover how to apply their MIT skills to a career choice they may not have been considering.

Panelists:
Stuart Brotman
Katherine Franco
Mike Jung
Advance sign-up to contact below is requested, but not required.
Contact: Alex Aho, (617) 253-4085, aaho@MIT.EDU

Sponsors: Science, Technology, and Society (STS) and Writing and Humanistic Studies
http://student.mit.edu/searchiap/iap-a603.html

what the hell is wrong with people

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

HamDel<<<<<<<<<<Subsconscious<M2M<Appletree

Imagine Milano is about a foot to the right.

I hate the stupid names Hamdel gives to their food. The "Clinton" or the "Monica" for example...all that crap. I think what bothers me the most is, how the gently caress do they even relate to that person? They're just sticking a name on it for no good reason. Just call it chicken salad for gently caress sake.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Petey posted:

Yes, but not in Manhatten.

Also gently caress this gay earth:

what the hell is wrong with people

lol MIT just trolled its own student body so hard

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's awful -

Stuart Brotman, if it's the same guy from https://www.brotman.com graduated from Boalt in 1978.

Mike Jung is probably P. Michael Jung from http://www.strasburger.com/bios/attorney_bios.asp?atty=537 (I'm assuming they are the same guy because P. Michael Jung went to MIT). He got his JD from Harvard in 1979.

Katherine Franco appears to have worked for Osha Liang in Texas, after graduating from University of Houston Law Center in 2009. She went to MIT prior.

Of those three, only Ms. Franco is going to have any idea what the current employment situation is like.

And she no longer appears on Osha Liang's website, so who knows if she is still employed. (According to her LinkedIn, she lists her position at Osha Liang from 2008 until January 2011, so maybe she still works there?)

What's the average graduating GPA of MIT students?

I would think that MIT students are really good at the LSAT though, or at least better than the average college student.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HiddenReplaced posted:

I hate the stupid names Hamdel gives to their food. The "Clinton" or the "Monica" for example...all that crap. I think what bothers me the most is, how the gently caress do they even relate to that person? They're just sticking a name on it for no good reason. Just call it chicken salad for gently caress sake.

what bothers me is the fuckers think bbq sauce goes on a cheesesteak and every so often even though I tell them not to they put it on anyway

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

entris posted:

What's the average graduating GPA of MIT students?

I would think that MIT students are really good at the LSAT though, or at least better than the average college student.

The GPA is on a 5.0 system, and there is a very, very little inflation (probably safer to say there IS deflation). That said, I've been told that MIT students generally get some slack on the GPA when it comes to grad admissions, more so than would usually be the case, because people want MIT grads at their schools.

And yeah, there doesn't tend to be much of a problem with the LSATs, either, given the quantitative and puzzle-based culture.

In terms of generalizing across alma maters, MIT grads are probably comparatively better off when applying to law school than grads of most schools. They'll get in to better programs both because of their actual intelligence and the brand, and they have the science background for stuff like patent law coming out.

That said, it still pisses me off that a) as someone identified, these MIT graduates went to law school ages ago, and b) kids with MIT educations are looking at law school rather than actually using their world-class engineering/science degrees to make the world a better place (the same can be said for MIT grads who become day traders).

Incidentally, I mentioned this to the friend of mine in MIT administration who sent me this, and he said that whenever they have an open position they get tons of ex-lawyers applying for comparatively menial higher ed admin, so lol.

Petey fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 25, 2011

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Petey posted:

Yes, but not in Manhatten.

Also gently caress this gay earth:

what the hell is wrong with people

fortunately, MIT is known for its grade inflation so they'll all turn out fineffffffffffffffgoddammitpetey

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

evilweasel posted:

what bothers me is the fuckers think bbq sauce goes on a cheesesteak and every so often even though I tell them not to they put it on anyway

Also they really like to burn the buns.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
HamDel also doesn't put marinara sauce on their meatball subs. So, so wrong. The lady who works the counter at night is really nice, though.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Welp, Obama is going to propose a 5 year spending freeze in the State of the Union tonight. Does that make it impossible to get a federal job or just harder?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Tetrix posted:

Welp, Obama is going to propose a 5 year spending freeze in the State of the Union tonight. Does that make it impossible to get a federal job or just harder?

DOJ and parts of HHS have already announced hiring freezes.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
So I was attending a football game this season, watching the Idaho Vandals win or lose against some WAC team not worth remembering, when a fellow law student bounces an idea off of me: Should I sue the school? He tells me his story and I think he has a chance, so I say, "gently caress it, go for it."

Well lo and behold:

Above the Law posted:

According Idaho Law 2L Aaron Tribble, his right to have a firearm in his dorm room trumps his classmates’ rights to not have to live on campus with potentially crazy gunmen in legal possession of weapons. Tribble has filed suit against the University of Idaho over its policy that bans guns on campus.

He claims that the rule violates his Second and Fourteenth Amendment rights to possess a gun in his on-campus home…

The story from the Moscow-Pullman Daily News Online (gavel bang: ABA Journal) is pretty bare-bones. But the publication says Tribble, 36, is married and lives in student housing for married students and students with children. So I’m sure that at some point Tribble will make an argument about how he needs his gun to protect his family (if he hasn’t already).

[He is required to keep his guns in a locked safe at the local Police Dept.]

I figured there's at least enough ambiguity as to whether him having to keep his gun off of campus is a reasonable restriction or not. Kind of wild to see him go through with it.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Vander posted:

So I was attending a football game this season, watching the Idaho Vandals win or lose against some WAC team not worth remembering, when a fellow law student bounces an idea off of me: Should I sue the school? He tells me his story and I think he has a chance, so I say, "gently caress it, go for it."

Well lo and behold:

I figured there's at least enough ambiguity as to whether him having to keep his gun off of campus is a reasonable restriction or not. Kind of wild to see him go through with it.

I don't have the opinion near me, but didn't SCOTUS say, in either Heller or MacDonald, something like "this doesn't mean there can't be reasonable restrictions that keep guns out of sensitive places like federal buildings and universities?"

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Lilosh posted:

I don't have the opinion near me, but didn't SCOTUS say, in either Heller or MacDonald, something like "this doesn't mean there can't be reasonable restrictions that keep guns out of sensitive places like federal buildings and universities?"

Yeah, that's right. That's also all they said. That's why I think he has something to at least argue. It's a typically broad statement made by the SCOTUS that the lower courts get to parse out.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Lilosh posted:

I don't have the opinion near me, but didn't SCOTUS say, in either Heller or MacDonald, something like "this doesn't mean there can't be reasonable restrictions that keep guns out of sensitive places like federal buildings and universities?"

Universities aren't the same thing as home/dorm defense

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Holland Oats posted:

HamDel also doesn't put marinara sauce on their meatball subs. So, so wrong. The lady who works the counter at night is really nice, though.

Yes, HamDel is awful, and they gave me food poisoning, so I do not go there anymore.

HiddenReplaced posted:

DOJ and parts of HHS have already announced hiring freezes.

Welp :suicide:

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

JudicialRestraints posted:

Universities aren't the same thing as home/dorm defense

Yeah, the Heller sentence is about *carrying* guns, which seems pretty distinguishable from keeping a gun in one's own dwelling.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

HiddenReplaced posted:

DOJ and parts of HHS have already announced hiring freezes.

good riddance, i loving hate Justice and Health...

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Oh god... I am going to die a pauper.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
A job!

3L, 4E – Special Project to help the Class of 2011

The SBA and Career Services are looking for a good writer and editor who would create a motivational newsletter for students tackling the job search. We aim to send out a newsletter in February, March and April. We want to publish success stories and advice on how to approach the job search in this market. Interested students send your resume and an email describing your interest to XXX@YYY.edu. This position is paid.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I am seriously thinking about going and trolling that MIT prelaw conference.

billion dollar bitch posted:

Oh god... I am going to die a pauper.

Just be thankful that one day you will die.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4