Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think the guy selling it owns a body shop or something, the car looks to be in great condition. I love the e30, may be my favorite style BMW. I drove one back in high school, and now I'm in the market for a car and I saw this come up. The guy is asking $4500 Or Best Offer.

My Dad and I may go check it out and take it for a drive, anything I should look for in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Popete posted:

I think the guy selling it owns a body shop or something, the car looks to be in great condition. I love the e30, may be my favorite style BMW. I drove one back in high school, and now I'm in the market for a car and I saw this come up. The guy is asking $4500 Or Best Offer.

My Dad and I may go check it out and take it for a drive, anything I should look for in particular?

Geez that's expensive. Where in the country are you?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm in Wisconsin. Does it seem that high? Most of the e30's I have looked at seem to be in pretty bad shape, this one looks amazing. Though I have no idea about how it is mechanically, that's why we where hoping to check it out. If we liked it we where thinking of offering $4000. What do you guys think?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Popete posted:

I'm in Wisconsin. Does it seem that high? Most of the e30's I have looked at seem to be in pretty bad shape, this one looks amazing. Though I have no idea about how it is mechanically, that's why we where hoping to check it out. If we liked it we where thinking of offering $4000. What do you guys think?

Man, I'm way out of the loop with the rest of the country when it comes to Bimmers. A big bumper E30 with that mileage and condition would be hard-pressed to fetch $2500 around here.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying your wrong I just didn't expect them to be that cheap. At least around here on Craigslist if they are that cheap they seem to be poo poo. What area are you in?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

$4500 for a big bumper E30? hahahahaha yeah okay. Maybe if it's pristine and has full documentation.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I actually went out of my mind and offered $4500 CASH on a '91 325iS w/ a little over 100k on it and the dude scoffed at me and told me he had $6000 offers, gently caress that guy.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Popete posted:

I'm not saying your wrong I just didn't expect them to be that cheap. At least around here on Craigslist if they are that cheap they seem to be poo poo. What area are you in?

SF Bay Area. I've bought three BMWs (2002, E30, E36) for 2K and under, and all have been almost as nice as that offering. My E30 is a small-bumper car, too, which is alot nicer IMO.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've look all over the area in in Wisconsin. Also in the Chicago area, there seems to be no nice e30's and if they are decent there about the same price. Maybe there is just a big shortage of decent ones up here so they go for more.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The low mileage makes him think it's worth bank, but it probably just means a lot of 20 year old poo poo that may have rotted to pieces. I ran into that with my low-mileage eurospec e30 - no rust but everything that could wear was falling apart, including the clutch.

On the other hand, I would easily pay 4-5k CAD for a rust-free 325iS. They aren't common cars north of the border here, and especially not in NS where they have a giant salt boner. My current plan is to get a rust free e30 325is or e36 m3 for a summer car, whichever I can find first.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yellicopter posted:

Does anyone know if the nikasil issue with the M52 engine was an issue in Canada or did we get the American version of the block as well?

I'm looking at a '97 528 near here next week and can't seem to get a definitive answer from google.

As an aside, wouldn't something that had Nikasil issues had long since had problems by now?

Looking at the E31 on Weds. Wish me luck (I think)

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Popete posted:

I've look all over the area in in Wisconsin. Also in the Chicago area, there seems to be no nice e30's and if they are decent there about the same price. Maybe there is just a big shortage of decent ones up here so they go for more.

Its hard to find poo poo in Wisconsin. I ended up flying to North Carolina to pick up a new 318IS (still paid $3800 for a rust free one). In the midwest, people ask $3k or more for lovely rust covered E30's.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Waroen posted:

Looking at an automatic Silver '95 e36 M3 with 110k miles, and I have no experience with them whatsoever beyond always having wanted one.

And it just got a paint touch-up from a body shop. What should I be asking about maintenance wise? I have enough cash to do maintenance and I want to own the car for a long time, but I want to know as much as possible before I own it. I'm going to do a PPI before anything but just checking.

How about the rear end of the car? Guibo? Rear shocks and shock mounts? RTABs? If they haven't been replaced and a RSM has gone through the sheet metal that's a couple hundred right there to fix. Guibo and RTABs are cheap, but very labor intensive. If you have to have a shop do them it could easily be $1000 as well.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/22/bmw-working-on-electric-5-series-sedan-for-china-we-still-cant/

What the gently caress why can't we get electric BMWs

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
Just a small update on my E30 I posted about earlier in the thread - We've done up the hubcaps on it, and it's now in Grindavík (A coastal town) where it's getting sandblasted by a friend's friend.

Of course, in typical Icelander fashion, the sandblasting was delayed because our friend's friend got so drunk he had to go into rehab, but all is well now :)

Turns out it was a lot rustier than expected, the first owner took very good care of it, and it hardly rusted in his care, but I expect the second owner didn't do it much good - As can be proven by the fact that he used newspapers to plug holes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Quick question about the 87 e30, can you easily swap out that dive board bumper with the plastic bumper on the later model e30's?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can anyone ID the wheel / car above the door card in this picture?:

Just curious.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

I've decided on an E39 530i as my next car, but that's still a year or so away. In the meantime, I research...

Is it a Very Bad Thing if there is condensation inside the headlight units after the car has gotten wet? (Even if it's just after a carwash?) Does that mean the seals are bad? Looking at cars online, there's quite a few that are very obviously freshly washed, but the headlights are all fogged up.

Was the ski bag/pass-through included in any package, or was it only available by itself? IE, does the Cold Weather package include it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Just curious.

My guess is an X5

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Just curious.

BMW Style 57's, like Popete said, off an E53 X5, 17"x7.5".

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Wombot posted:

Was the ski bag/pass-through included in any package, or was it only available by itself? IE, does the Cold Weather package include it?

I believe the ski "bag" came with the cold weather package. That's where the arm rest folds down in the back seat.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Popete posted:

I'm in Southeastern Wisconsin, and I paid $3,600 for my nearly rust-free '89 325iS. Although the one you're looking at has big ugly bumpers, it has half the mileage mine did when I bought it, and looks to be in a bit better condition. So there's that.

Also, it took for-goddamn-ever for a not lovely rust-free one to pop-up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

T-Square posted:

I'm in Southeastern Wisconsin, and I paid $3,600 for my nearly rust-free '89 325iS. Although the one you're looking at has big ugly bumpers, it has half the mileage mine did when I bought it, and looks to be in a bit better condition. So there's that.

Also, it took for-goddamn-ever for a not lovely rust-free one to pop-up.

Ah ya I hear ya, the winter just destroys these cars after 20+ years. I was originally wanting an e36 but there's not to many nice ones around. I previously owned a e30 and I loved that car so when this one popped up it sounded great. I'm going to go check it out Friday, hopefully it runs as nice as it looks.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Wombot posted:

I've decided on an E39 530i as my next car, but that's still a year or so away. In the meantime, I research...

Is it a Very Bad Thing if there is condensation inside the headlight units after the car has gotten wet? (Even if it's just after a carwash?) Does that mean the seals are bad? Looking at cars online, there's quite a few that are very obviously freshly washed, but the headlights are all fogged up.

It's not a Very Bad Thing, maybe just a bad thing; it's much easier to fix on pre-facelift (97-00) cars due to the headlights not being sealed shut (though many '01s aren't sealed either). My E39 had some condensation inside the headlights, so I resealed them when I replaced the adjusters (a bit of RTV does the trick), now it's fine. ~2hr job if you've never done it before, including the adjusters (which are also probably broken).

The ski bag + passthrough was part of the cold weather package, not available separately (on an M5 at least, but I figure that holds for other E39s).

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Well, gently caress you BMW for making the air filter on the 320d an absolute bitch to do. Just done a well needed service after 15k miles since I bought it 8 months ago... with the service indicator telling me I had 6k to go till the next one :pseudo:

I think after seeing the coal I drained out I'll do the next one at 10k... either that or the place I bought it from didn't bother with the service and just reset the indicator. Which would be it about a 30-40k service interval :derp:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Just as an example of the garbage you have to deal with for e30s up north:

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1991-BMW-3-Series-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ256200401

4 door 318 with 335000km, dented, with rust spots coming through the paint. 3000 dollars.

-or-

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1988-BMW-3-Series-320I-ASIS-SPECIAL-MUST-SEE-IMPORTED-CAR-W0QQAdIdZ255035937

1988 320i import (who would import a 320?) with rust holes and a busted steering rack, 2000 dollars.

I figure I'll be shelling out 5000 for a rust-free 325is/318is if I ever manage to find one.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

discstickers posted:

I believe the ski "bag" came with the cold weather package. That's where the arm rest folds down in the back seat.

The cold weather package, at least in the E34, also came with heated seats, headlight washers, heated locks, and a limited slip differential. I think some came with heated windshield sprayers as well but I have no idea where to identify if thats the case on mine. The ski bag is actually kind of annoying.

Either way its a pretty sweet options pack and I'm very appreciative of the original owner of mine for getting it and the sport seats, then swapping in the euro lights.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for the insights!

KaiserBen posted:

It's not a Very Bad Thing, maybe just a bad thing; it's much easier to fix on pre-facelift (97-00) cars due to the headlights not being sealed shut (though many '01s aren't sealed either).

Eff, I forgot to clarify: I'm looking exclusively at '02 or later.

8ender posted:

The cold weather package, at least in the E34, also came with heated seats, headlight washers, heated locks, and a limited slip differential. I think some came with heated windshield sprayers as well but I have no idea where to identify if thats the case on mine. The ski bag is actually kind of annoying.

After looking into it more, it looks like the Cold Weather Package (On the E39) comes with heated seats and headlight washers and... that's it.

What's annoying about the ski bag? Do you use it?

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Wombot posted:

Thanks for the insights!

Eff, I forgot to clarify: I'm looking exclusively at '02 or later.

After looking into it more, it looks like the Cold Weather Package (On the E39) comes with heated seats and headlight washers and... that's it.

What's annoying about the ski bag? Do you use it?

Ah, on the 02+, your headlights will be epoxied shut, which means you have to bake them to open them. Takes a long time and may or may not work. OTOH, the 02s will have the nicer headlights with angel eyes, as opposed to the ghetto fabulous pre-facelift headlights. I'll trade if you get the HIDs :P

My ski bag has the unfortunate habit of flying open under heavy braking, and it's kinda complicated to get it to fold back up under the armrest. It's useful (I use it for lumber more than skis, but still), but it does nothing that can't be done with the folding rear seats and is annoying to pack back up.

My car got the ski bag, headlight washers, heated seats (standard), and heated folding mirrors, I thought all of that was the cold weather package?

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

KaiserBen posted:

Ah, on the 02+, your headlights will be epoxied shut, which means you have to bake them to open them. Takes a long time and may or may not work. OTOH, the 02s will have the nicer headlights with angel eyes, as opposed to the ghetto fabulous pre-facelift headlights. I'll trade if you get the HIDs :P

My ski bag has the unfortunate habit of flying open under heavy braking, and it's kinda complicated to get it to fold back up under the armrest. It's useful (I use it for lumber more than skis, but still), but it does nothing that can't be done with the folding rear seats and is annoying to pack back up.

My car got the ski bag, headlight washers, heated seats (standard), and heated folding mirrors, I thought all of that was the cold weather package?

I'm basing that off this page, which is really the only list I can find of what package includes what. If anyone has something more official (I checked the E39 Buyer's PDF, it doesn't include the Cold Weather package) I'd love to see it.

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

stump posted:

Well, gently caress you BMW for making the air filter on the 320d an absolute bitch to do. Just done a well needed service after 15k miles since I bought it 8 months ago... with the service indicator telling me I had 6k to go till the next one :pseudo:

I think after seeing the coal I drained out I'll do the next one at 10k... either that or the place I bought it from didn't bother with the service and just reset the indicator. Which would be it about a 30-40k service interval :derp:

That service countdown indicator on your OBC screen doesn't actually lower with the mileage, but by the fuel consumption IIRC. Oil changes every 6500km (about 4k miles) is what I go by.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

tesko.pk posted:

That service countdown indicator on your OBC screen doesn't actually lower with the mileage, but by the fuel consumption IIRC. Oil changes every 6500km (about 4k miles) is what I go by.

4k? That's keen! I usually just stick roughly to the manufacturers recommendations, but since BMW kinda messed up on this one I'll reduce it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

stump posted:

4k? That's keen! I usually just stick roughly to the manufacturers recommendations, but since BMW kinda messed up on this one I'll reduce it.

The consensus on bimmerfest when I had an E46 (don't know if yours is a 46 or a 90) was definitely not to listen to the service indicator. That way sludging lies. Many people seemed to do 5-7.5k intervals. e: the place you got it could also have "serviced" it but just used the cheapest possible multigrade mineral oil with the appropriate numbers and not changed the filter. Which could also account for the muck.

4 does seem a bit over-cautious with a top-quality LL01 (or whatever they spec for the E90) oil, I guess, given that those oils should be shear-stable and still lubricating happily well past 5k.

If you haven't turned your waste oil over to the council and actually want to know, you could have it analysed. More of a US thing, but I'm sure there's a UK equivalent of Blackstone Labs.

Saga fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 25, 2011

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Saga posted:

The consensus on bimmerfest when I had an E46 (don't know if yours is a 46 or a 90) was definitely not to listen to the service indicator. That way sludging lies. Many people seemed to do 5-7.5k intervals. e: the place you got it could also have "serviced" it but just used the cheapest possible multigrade mineral oil with the appropriate numbers and not changed the filter. Which could also account for the muck.

4 does seem a bit over-cautious with a top-quality LL01 (or whatever they spec for the E90) oil, I guess, given that those oils should be shear-stable and still lubricating happily well past 5k.

If you haven't turned your waste oil over to the council and actually want to know, you could have it analysed. More of a US thing, but I'm sure there's a UK equivalent of Blackstone Labs.
It's an '04 e46. I've used the correct quality oil, although I wouldn't be surprised if they used cheap crap last time. I had intended to change it just after I bought it to be safe but couldn't be arsed in the end, and the suddenly I realised I'd done 15k! I would send it off the be analysed but it's all mixed up with other oil in my drain tray, along with the excess diesel from my old fuel filter.

I know the service indicator isn't to be trusted, but I didn't expect it to be telling me I could do 21k without changing the oil... no wonder every e46 I've seen has awful service records!

I've got the later engine with the uprated turbo, and I plan on blanking the swirl flaps, if I do sensible oil changes the it should hopefully keep going for another 100k or so :)

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Taco Box posted:

Valve cover gasket, which I realize is on the passenger side, but the whole scenario sounds just like how mine started leaking.

I would just like to circle back and say this is indeed what the problem was. Problem fixed, thanks!

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

stump posted:

Well, I do mostly city driving, in the past 12 months I've only done about 6000 km's but did 2 oil changes, and mine is petrol not diesel if that makes a difference to you, heh. My first oil change on the car was when the service indicator hit zero, it was like 12k miles, so I can relate to you. After feeling the difference in how much better it ran, I now tend to change the oil sooner rather than later.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

stump posted:

I plan on blanking the swirl flaps, if I do sensible oil changes the it should hopefully keep going for another 100k or so :)

If the turbo shares its oil supply with the engine, I'd be very cautious indeed! :) The good news is the engines are pretty bulletproof, if you don't put bits of manifold into them.

BTW, my brother in law Superchipped his X-reg 330d and says it's basically free power - didn't really affect his fuel economy.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Yeah, I think I might fit a de-cat downpipe and get it remapped at some point this year, pennies allowing. From what I've head a remap should actually improve my fuel economy. To be honest it has just the right amount of power already, but I wouldn't mind at more.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Tell me it's a terrible idea to buy this: http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2410305.htm

1994 318 with an M3 bodykit and something like 150k miles on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Tell me it's a terrible idea to buy this: http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2410305.htm

1994 318 with an M3 bodykit and something like 150k miles on.

Not bad at that price. It would be a great car to drop an actual S50 engine into. I wouldn't buy it unless I was planning an engine swap though. I test drove one of those and it was so loving slow it was unbelievable.