Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Goddamn Vic can't catch a break in season 2 so far. I feel bad for him :smith:

also T.O was a awesome character, sad to see him go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

User-Friendly posted:

I always thought the blackmail box stuff in the later seasons was dumb and lasted too long, though.

The great thing about that season is just when you thought it was all getting too convoluted, they began to scale it bak to just the Strike Team and their originals sins.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does anyone know the name of the actress who plays Connie the whore?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

keyframe posted:

Does anyone know the name of the actress who plays Connie the whore?

She's credited as Jamie Brown, but her name is Jamie Allman.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1056583/

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thank you. She looks so drat familiar but looking at her IMDB I have not seen any of her other films\shows. I guess I am mistaking her for some other actress.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I had the same thoughts, she looks like someone I've seen before, or known, but I can't place her at all. Her name isn't familiar in any way, either.

It's nice to see so many people who are watching for the first time, and loving this show. I should do a rewatch soon.

I got all seasons of the Wire but haven't started yet, as I'm going to make sure I am in a non-ADD headspace. I'm busy with too many things right now, and pretty distracted. I know I'm going to really enjoy it though. Thanks again for the recommendations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Season 2 is blowing my mind away.

Vic losing it with armadillo was amazing, the oven face burn scene was loving intense. I am up to the part where connie's face gets burned when vic brings the domestic abuse chick to his place

I can't wait to see whats going to happen at the end of this season.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Season 2 is fantastic. Actually, all the early seasons are fantastic, I can't think of a single bad Shield episode before seasons six and seven.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
There are no bad episodes of The Shield.

I've seen the series three time (once as everything first aired, and two re-watches since) and season 6 and 7 are just as amazing as the rest. The only one that doesn't hold up as well is the first season, but that's mostly the normal folly involved with a show finding its footing.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I've seen the series three time (once as everything first aired, and two re-watches since) and season 6 and 7 are just as amazing as the rest. The only one that doesn't hold up as well is the first season, but that's mostly the normal folly involved with a show finding its footing.

I seem to be in the minority, but I really loved the first season. I don't know, I guess the other seasons were more 'exciting', but the acting really nailed the first season for me. The story got better and better, but I could never say that season one was the worst. I think it's just as good as the others. I really don't have many complaints about the Shield at all. Like you said, there are no bad episodes.

I still love the song 'All my Little Words' by The Magnetic Fields and listen to it often.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

He made you... SUCK!?!?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

keyframe posted:

Season 2 is blowing my mind away.

I am up to the part where connie's face gets burned when vic brings the domestic abuse chick to his place

I can't wait to see whats going to happen at the end of this season.

Heh, I think you mean the part where Ronnie's face gets burned while Vic's have him watch Connie.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Aatrek posted:

He made you... SUCK!?!?

fun game: count the number of times "blackmail box" is said in the season six and seven "previously on the shield" segements

Acaveda Giving Head lead to Acaveda Likes Kinky Sex and Blackmail Box, that's the entertainingly bad plot device that keeps on giving and giving

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Aatrek posted:

He made you... SUCK!?!?

I know we're no spoilers so:

When they showed that scene over and over and over in the previously-ons, it went from from disturbing to hilarious for me. It totally ruined any emotional weight that was supposed to be taking on Aceveda because all I could do was snicker everytime it was brought up.

And his wife... when Aceveda is crying and telling her all he could think about was getting home to his see his family one more time and she just scowled at him :laffo: what a charicature she was.

I really think the writers were trying to play that as a serious traumatic event but completely hosed it up.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

SAKU loving KOIVU posted:

I know we're no spoilers so:

When they showed that scene over and over and over in the previously-ons, it went from from disturbing to hilarious for me. It totally ruined any emotional weight that was supposed to be taking on Aceveda because all I could do was snicker everytime it was brought up.

And his wife... when Aceveda is crying and telling her all he could think about was getting home to his see his family one more time and she just scowled at him :laffo: what a charicature she was.

I really think the writers were trying to play that as a serious traumatic event but completely hosed it up.

Yeah, the next time I do a watch through, I'm skipping the "Previously on..." segments because of that, as well as WE KILLED... A COP-PUH and the event at the end of season 5 replayed OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

PoconoHermit
Oct 25, 2005

Fire in the hole, Internet!

keyframe posted:

Thank you. She looks so drat familiar but looking at her IMDB I have not seen any of her other films\shows. I guess I am mistaking her for some other actress.

I keep seeing Jennifer Jason Leigh from Fast Times.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Excuse me, I was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen have ever sucked a dick like a cell bitch?

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I just started on season 1. 10 episodes in so far and this is already one of my favorite shows.

It's exciting, it's got great characters, and it's very addictive.

I was happy for Dutch when he caught the serial killer; was his little breakdown after that happened because he realizes the killer's little psychoanalysis of him was true?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

canadianclassic posted:

I just started on season 1. 10 episodes in so far and this is already one of my favorite shows.

I was happy for Dutch when he caught the serial killer; was his little breakdown after that happened because he realizes the killer's little psychoanalysis of him was true?

It's been awhile since I saw it but I remember thinking it was a mixture of sheer relief/the vindication of himself as a detective/and being accepted by the other people in The Barn all of which pretty much overwhelmed him.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

canadianclassic posted:

I'm pretty sure your analysis is right, he pretty much got torn into the entire episode by both the police and the suspect. Not so much him "realizing it was true" as it probably hit a lot of his insecurities, and just broke him down in the end.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
That was one of my favorite moments with that character. I think you're both right and it was a mixture of all of that. See what a great performance it was? I swear most tv shows I see, you know what their motivation for x reaction is, and it's always something really simple and exactly the reaction you'd expect for example, Character gets dissed, actor gets 'Mad'. Character gets dumped, actor gets 'Sad'. He was going through so much and it all hit him like that, it showed that he was a character with a lot more than meets the eye. That scene made him one of my favorite characters in the show. That's my theory anyway.

Consequently that's also why the scene where Vic comes home to an empty house and a Dear John note really got me invested in Vic. That was such good acting.

Or maybe I've seen a lot of poo poo shows, but regardless.

v Me too, I hadn't heard of that. I really wish they'd do it! If it was similar in quality to The Shield, I'd skip Dexter for watching Dutch (if I had to choose, and it's only because Dexter S5 was so awful, I still love Michael Hall).

when worlds collide fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 27, 2011

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
For half a second there were rumours about a Dutch spin off and drat it I would watch it today.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Dead Snoopy posted:

For half a second there were rumours about a Dutch spin off and drat it I would watch it today.

Hungry Like the Wolf

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
Shawn Ryan posted on Twitter that Dutch was almost the main character in White Collar.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wartime Consigliere posted:

Shawn Ryan posted on Twitter that Dutch was almost the main character in White Collar.

I would actually have watched White Collar, or more accurately try it now.

I'm halfway through season 4 and I can't figure out why I skipped this show before now.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So The Chicago Code starts next week. I haven't let myself get too excited about it because I think I'll only be disappointed if I go in expecting The Shield: Chicago, but it looks like it could be pretty good.

http://www.rrstar.com/go/x536399525/Review-Solid-cast-locations-make-Code-worth-watching

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wartime Consigliere posted:

I'd watch an entire series about Dutch if every episode ended with him singing 80s pop songs in his car.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Dickeye posted:

I'd watch an entire series about Dutch if every episode ended with him singing 80s pop songs in his car.

Dutch isn't one of my favorite characters but he makes the show so much better by having him.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I never probably disliked a tv show character as much as I disliked Corinne. She is pretty much every "cop show wife" character smashed into a single screechy person. Were we viewers supposed to empathize for her?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kemper Boyd posted:

I never probably disliked a tv show character as much as I disliked Corinne. She is pretty much every "cop show wife" character smashed into a single screechy person. Were we viewers supposed to empathize for her?

I think so but it is not often that a creators spouse does a good job. One exeption is the Margos Dezerian wife Katey Segal. This also applies to actors children.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Kemper Boyd posted:

I agree, I couldn't stand Corinne. I figured the only reason she had the part was because of her husband being the creator.

I find that a lot of shows have really annoying wife/girlfriend characters, usually they're the weakest part of the ensemble. Like Breaking Bad, Dexter, and others. But I'm not misogynistic, I'm a female. I feel that it's more that the writers are really terrible at writing for realistic females and instead they come across as the most horrible stereotypes, caricatures. They rarely have any depth to them at all.

It kinda makes me annoyed when watching them on screen, because they act in a way that I never would, and I've never seen any women in my life act like they do either, except for odd random times that don't really happen too often.

At least there are shows out there that do have strong rational female characters. Some writers get it. I do have to say in relation to the Shield, they did really well with the non-family female roles. CCH Pounder is one of my favorite actresses, her role on the Shield was one of my favorite characters till I started to dread her a bit near the end, and the cop Danni Sofer (forget her real name) was pretty good for the most part.

when worlds collide fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 11, 2011

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

IRQ posted:

I'm halfway through season 4 and I can't figure out why I skipped this show before now.
I was this way with The Wire. I was an avid shield fan from the beginning (caught most eps on the nights they aired), and at some point someone said "The Wire is HBO's clone of The Shield, you should check it out". So with that in mind I caught a random episode out of season 2 (Lots of scenes at the docks) and concluded it was poo poo.

Fast forward many years later to last summer and in some discussion with an old friend about TV shows I'm told that The Wire is required viewing, no exceptions. I give my rebuttal about the one episode I caught + the comparison with The Shield and he said nothing, just shook his head at me.

That was enough for me to pick up The Wire and I'm glad I did, but learned my lesson that it's completely different than The Shield and one will look terrible when viewed from the perspective of the other.

It's definitely a heavyweight that can compete with the big boys like Sopranos. Plus it's got some of that underdog class to it, considering it fought against many odds to get into production, and can't sling tits and harsher swearing to keep things edgy (but in a way that just made them get more inventive).

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Fuuuck this show has me so torn about what to think of the characters... Im on season 5 and I want Kavanaugh loving dead! but he's right! but vic takes crime of the street. but he did kill the other cop. but kavanaugh is a douchebag and vic takes care of his family... :negative:

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

canadianclassic posted:

Fuuuck this show has me so torn about what to think of the characters... Im on season 5 and I want Kavanaugh loving dead! but he's right! but vic takes crime of the street. but he did kill the other cop. but kavanaugh is a douchebag and vic takes care of his family... :negative:

This feeling will never go away. Kavanaugh will just be replaced by an assortment of other characters.

Edit: Oh, and Vic is basically the worst person and this is established in the first two seasons.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 22, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

canadianclassic posted:

Kavanaugh discussion: It's so weird that Kavanaugh is the most evil 'good guy', while Mackey is the best 'bad guy'. And what a great show to have two characters as deep as these two going at each other the whole loving time, leaving us utterly conflicted.

Also, it was very nice to see Zoe from Firefly/Serenity as K's wife. GodDAMN she is hot.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Holy poo poo the loving last two episodes

I mean

goddamn

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Early S3 spoilers: Just finished up the fourth episode of S3 where Tavon and Shane fight, Shane's fiance hit's Tavon in the head and he's in an accident on his way home. poo poo.

I can't loving wait for this next disc to come from Netflix.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I'm rewatching it with my girl and we just saw (s02e02) vic burn armadillo. She was like :tviv: Looking forward to what happens to ronnie :(

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

canadianclassic posted:

I was just reading through the thread, avoiding stuff about anything after S2, and I noticed this post. I know it's from about a month back but I just wanted to chime in and say that I loved this moment to. Dutch is my favorite so far in the show, and this scene has a lot to do with it.

I think you're exactly right, the serial killer was really good at reading him, and he was right about almost everything he said. To make it worse, everyone he worked with was watching him interrogate the guy, watching him get mauled. So even though he got his guy, he got destroyed in the process. Really awesome scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am done with wire so back to watching the shield. On season 3 now. Is it accurate to say this is the most violent tv show ever made? It is not corny lovely violence though, it is the closest portrayal of the hosed up poo poo that happens in real life I have seen.

• Locked thread