Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

omgmypony posted:

http://rovingacres.com/sheep/ ?

Didn't know anyone from FHB posted here. :)

Its a small internet after all :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Finished another scarf. I haven't shaved since I started it, can you tell?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
A bar near me is having a Lebowskifest so naturally I'm making the sweater"

Its the first time I've done something with color besides stripes. I'm not sure about my stranding but it stretches without them being slack so I think I did something right...

I also finished this, from Son of Stitch and Bitch. Actually I guess this is a color thing too, but since its double knit you don't have to worry about stranding and whatnot (which is why I haven't done much besides stripes).

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Oh yeah I felted it too.

I need to get one of those dense mesh bags because the pillowcase I used kept coming open and I think I spent more time cleaning woolballs out of the trap than actually agitating it.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 25, 2011

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Roflex posted:

Oh yeah I felted it too.

I need to get one of those dense mesh bags because the pillowcase I used kept coming open and I think I spent more time cleaning woolballs out of the trap than actually agitating it.

Nice! I really like those colors.

I don't have a pillow case that zippers or anything, so I just tie mine in a knot. Of course, this means I spend what feels like hours trying to untie a wet fabric knot and swearing viciously.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Nice! I really like those colors.

I don't have a pillow case that zippers or anything, so I just tie mine in a knot. Of course, this means I spend what feels like hours trying to untie a wet fabric knot and swearing viciously.

Yeah I even tied mine shut after it came open the first two times, and it still loosened itself.

Also, that whole thing was one entire skein of Patons Classic Wool. I had 4 inches left after binding off.

Anyway, next project: A short row scarf (similar to this) with this:

And I'm planning on felting it, and it's going to be amazing.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Argh. I have four projects on the needles right now, but no motivation to finish any of them. I totally burned myself out knitting gifts for Christmas.. and didn't take very good pictures of any of them so I can't show them off very well. I do have a Ravelry account, though, ever since I saw a friend using it the other day. I use the same nick there that I do.. everywhere.

Here's some random poo poo I knit over the holidays:

Finished projects by Mizufusion, on Flickr

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Roflex posted:

Yeah I even tied mine shut after it came open the first two times, and it still loosened itself.

Also, that whole thing was one entire skein of Patons Classic Wool. I had 4 inches left after binding off.

So what's the advantage of felting? Does felting make it any warmer or softer, or does it just alter the appearance?

The scarf I made is from Patton's Classic Wool, and it's a little curly in some areas, I've been thinking about trying to figure out how to flatten it.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

dopaMEAN posted:

So what's the advantage of felting? Does felting make it any warmer or softer, or does it just alter the appearance?

The scarf I made is from Patton's Classic Wool, and it's a little curly in some areas, I've been thinking about trying to figure out how to flatten it.

Remember when you were 15, you had that awesome wool sweater that you loved so much and then one day your dad accidentally put in the washing machine and when it came out it fit a 3 year old and was approximately the thickness and texture of a hotpad? Yeah, he felted it. (But I'm not bitter, really I'm not.)

Felting (which in the case of a knitted fabric is technically fulling but no one bothers to call it that anymore) makes your knitted fabric into a solid fabric - so you'll lose the stitch definition and it will become a thick, durable, solid fabric that retains pretty much whatever shape you put it in (provided you shape it while wet and then let it dry in that shape). Overall, felt is thicker, warmer and more waterproof than a regular knitted product, but it's also less breathable and less flexible.

You can felt in degrees, but it's not like it's scientific, so you have to constantly check to make sure it's where you want it to be. If you lightly felt something, you can still have some stitch definition and flexibility, or you can felt the gently caress out of it and it will end up really thick with no stitches visible at all. Lightly felting something is pretty hard because at least with my washer there's like a millisecond in which my material goes from not felted to thick heavy felt. Different yarns will felt at different rates too - both color and brand can affect the rate of felting and overall white yarns don't felt well because the bleach used to make it white inhibits the felting process.

Also, felting shrinks your product. The more felted it is, the smaller it gets. For instance, I made myself a purse - I swear you could fit a 4 year old child in it and the strap was so long that the bag was laying on the ground when I put it on my shoulder prior to felting. After felting, I shaped the purse by stretching it onto one of my son's small soccer balls and when hanging from my shoulder, the bag sat between my waist and my hip.

To flatten your scarf, try blocking it. There's a couple of methods, you can either soak the whole thing, blot the water out then pin it in shape to let it dry (wet blocking), or you can pin it down in shape while dry then steam it with your iron and leave it to dry (steam blocking). There's spray blocking too, but that wouldn't be very effective on a wool. If you chose to wetblock your wool, be sure to use tepid water and don't agitate it.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Wouldn't it be easiest to close the top with a couple of rows of running stitch done in a contrasting thread colour? When the cycle's done, you just cut the thread and pull it out, much easier.

Fooley posted:

I also finished this, from Son of Stitch and Bitch. Actually I guess this is a color thing too, but since its double knit you don't have to worry about stranding and whatnot (which is why I haven't done much besides stripes).

Oooh, I really like this. Is it reversible?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Roflex posted:

Anyway, next project: A short row scarf (similar to this) with this:

And I'm planning on felting it, and it's going to be amazing.

It'll look like a giant piece of Fruit Stripe :aaa: (and probably taste better).

madlilnerd posted:

Oooh, I really like this. Is it reversible?
Word:

Fooley fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 25, 2011

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

Wouldn't it be easiest to close the top with a couple of rows of running stitch done in a contrasting thread colour? When the cycle's done, you just cut the thread and pull it out, much easier.

Well, yes. But that would take more than three seconds and I needed to felt RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW AHHH.

A good idea for next time though, yes. :)

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I just splashed out on an Addi Bamboo click set. The needles are much smoother than my cheapo bamboo set. Now I can try out magic loop!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Earlier tonight, I bought a bag of random knit and crochet supplies at a thrift store down the street. For 70 cents, I got a pair of US3 aluminum needles, a cable needle (yay, I really needed one!) a couple random plastic double pointed needles (looks like US10 and US3, one each), a couple crochet hooks, and some old yarn holder.. thingies. The 10 needle is cool, 'cause I only had one single point 10, and I didn't have any crochet hooks, so that's cool. I seriously do not need anymore US3 needles, though. This makes 3 pairs.

Is there some sort of goony craft supply/tool exchange going on? Would anyone be interested in starting one if there isn't? I have some other mismatched needles I'd be willing to part with, and a couple balls/skeins of yarn.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
I am always always up for another goony swap!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Sweet! Most of what I have to offer are single needles, but hey, maybe someone needs just one. Right now I have:

US8; 14" single plastic needle. Stamped "Berkalin" (White with black cap)
US6; 14" single plastic needle. Stamped "Chester" (White with red cap)
US4; 14" single plastic needle. Stamped "Boye" (Green with metal cap)
US3; 10" single plastic needle. Stamped "Chester" (White with metal cap)
US3; 10" single plastic needle. Stamped "Boye" (Green with metal cap) Not pictured because I can't find it right now, but dammit, I will eventually!
US3; 10" pair metal needles. Stamped "Boye", Some rust on the caps, but otherwise look alright (Green with metal cap)
US2; 14" single plastic needle. Unmarked, unsure of the size, but it's smaller than a US3. (Tan solid)

I also have a few Boye and Susan Bates yarn holders/bobbins. I haven't the faintest idea what to use them for. Maybe another goon can enlighten me and makes some use of them!

I'll edit this post if I come across anything else, and I'll add pictures later. My camera battery chose to die after taking one shot.

EDIT: Pictures!

As you can see, none of these are in spectacular shape, but hey, they work. I'm not really looking for anything in exchange, unless someone has some 10s or 11s they'll part with. Other than that, if there's something you want, it's yours! Provided you can pay for shipping, 'cause I'm pretty much broke.

Click here for the full 1800x1354 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1541 image.

Yarn bobbin things:

Click here for the full 1600x1204 image.

The ones on the left are Susan bates. One of the red ones is slightly chipped. The other ones are Boye and are slightly warped but otherwise fine.

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 28, 2011

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Argh! If your US6 was metal I'd trade you something for it. It's the last single I have that needs a match.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Does anyone else analyze high rez pics of simple patterns to make one, too, or am I just crazy? I do not have mason-dixon knitting and that bib is so adorable and easy looking. Definitely easier than short rows and applied icord tie back like the one I just finished, sheesh. It is cute though...

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I totally do that too, especially with socks that look like they just had a stitch pattern shoved on. You are not crazy (or we both are, not sure which).

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I do it ALL the time. I can barely look at a pattern that isn't free without considering if I can somehow "figure it out" on my own. Although I'm pretty sure I've never actually done that.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

I do it ALL the time. I can barely look at a pattern that isn't free without considering if I can somehow "figure it out" on my own. Although I'm pretty sure I've never actually done that.

the camera on my cell phone is nothing but pictures of patterns from knitting/crochet magazines.

I'm a monster. :ohdear:

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Wandering Knitter posted:

the camera on my cell phone is nothing but pictures of patterns from knitting/crochet magazines.

I'm a monster. :ohdear:

We might be monsters but we're fashionable monsters! :)

I was also considering this route if I was terribly desperate, but the only part I'm not sure how to do is the button hole so yay google/youtube. Plus, It's actually at some libraries in PA, and I have a scanner...god I'm so cheap.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

zamiel posted:

We might be monsters but we're fashionable monsters! :)

I was also considering this route if I was terribly desperate, but the only part I'm not sure how to do is the button hole so yay google/youtube. Plus, It's actually at some libraries in PA, and I have a scanner...god I'm so cheap.

Camping out at the library scanner was pretty much my first step after I learned how to knit.

I need to go back there and get all of the crochet patterns I can.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
My roommate couldn't afford a particular book so she spent like three evenings at the cafe in Barnes and Noble copying it out line by line into a note book while drinking lattes.

It was awesome really. You know those doll patterns that are like a thousand rows long because every piece has to be knit flat and seamed up and there's all manner of shaping because it's a goddamn giraffee and fffffff.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I totally inter-library loan every pattern book that even vaguely catches my interest and copy any patterns I like at the library. After checking to see if I like any of the patterns on Ravelry. My only exception was a Cookie A sock book because I love all her socks ever and it's cheaper to buy it at that point.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Windy posted:

Argh! If your US6 was metal I'd trade you something for it. It's the last single I have that needs a match.

Aw, sorry. I'll keep my eyes out for any 6s next time I hit up that store; they seem to get them frequently. They used to have a whole can of needles for $1 each, but they were all mismatched and I couldn't justify buying them all at that price. Though.. if I had thought about it, I probably could have bought them and made a killing reselling that poo poo on Etsy.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Except for the pile of books I got for Christmas (mostly cute plushie crocheted animals to match my new addiction) I barely get books anymore. Right now if I need a pattern it's:

Google -> Ravelry -> Buy it on Etsy

Though I tend to buy patterns on etsy without really thinking about it. :ohdear:

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Wandering Knitter posted:

Except for the pile of books I got for Christmas (mostly cute plushie crocheted animals to match my new addiction) I barely get books anymore. Right now if I need a pattern it's:

Google -> Ravelry -> Buy it on Etsy

Though I tend to buy patterns on etsy without really thinking about it. :ohdear:

I'm a stubborn knitter that loves to exhaust herself with mental mind games. If there's a pattern/design/item I want to make I sit there with graph paper, pencil and eraser, cursing and ripping my hair in frustration trying to figure it out. (And I'm one of those people that sees some cute thing on someone and walks up to them asking if I can look closer all the time making mental tabulations on how to knit it at home.)
Found a book on Wednesday for 7 bucks that had all kinds of nifty cables and stitches in it though! Currently trying to figure out a pattern for a hat with butterflies on it.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
if you're looking for general stitch dictionaries the barbra walker treasuries are the bomb. I've got a few of them and they're awesome

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Done two of them so far and look pretty close to the real deal, but I just need to buy some buttons come the 1st. I love making them...garter is so mindless and fun. Plus, I'm eating up stash that I had no idea what to do with, so I'm lucky they're expecting a boy. Also have a req in with my library to have Mason-Dixon knitting loaned to me *squeels* Can't wait to see how close my pattern is to the one in the book :)

My fiance is all confused why I stopped blanket knitting and went for these...you'll all understand the need for something small and satisfying. It's they're like a mini snickers!

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?
Oh god DBNY is having a half-off handpainted sale. There goes another 30 bucks. :negative:

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Does anyone have any advice on how to keep yarn untangled when knitting? I bought some pretty expensive worsted yarn and I'm now at the end of the skein and it's a jarbled mess now. I hate having to cut it and waste all that yarn....

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Lackadaisical posted:

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep yarn untangled when knitting? I bought some pretty expensive worsted yarn and I'm now at the end of the skein and it's a jarbled mess now. I hate having to cut it and waste all that yarn....

When you knit do you use the end that's wrapped around the outside, or the end that you've fished out of the end from the centre?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Pull the outside end until it comes out of one end of the skein or the other. Whichever side the it comes out of, jam your fingers in the opposite end and feel around for the center. Pull it out and the inside end should be in there somewhere :)

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
I just learned how to cast on with my thumb! :rock:

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

SilverSliver posted:

I just learned how to cast on with my thumb! :rock:

Share! That is rather :rock:

Maid posted:

Oh god DBNY is having a half-off handpainted sale. There goes another 30 bucks. :negative:

I'm addicted to their grab bags...my latest ones got here yesterday, but man are they terrible about shipping emails / tracking info. Can't shake a stick at the price though.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I've been working on a sweater! I had intended to get it done within the month but I've still got the whole button band left and that's clearly not going to get done all in one day, even if it is my day off...

The pattern is "03 Heart Yoke Cardigan" from the Holiday 09 Vogue Knitting. It's so weird, in the last dozen issues of Vogue I've only liked about four patterns and three of them are in this one issue.

The pink bits at the edges are a turned hem, they'll be folded inside and sewn down later.

I'm actually considering looking up the legality of marrying a sweater.

Does anyone have advice on picking up stitches for the button band? Should I block it first? I stupidly did a slipped stitch edge along the fronts because I didn't know you weren't supposed to do that for button bands. Plus I'm doing a stockinette band instead of garter so I don't know maybe I need a different number of stitches...argh. It has to be perfect!

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Thumb cast on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxHHrjE1XtE

Heeeyy... someone even does it with their hand!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybpIF6ozaeU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I've been working on a sweater! I had intended to get it done within the month but I've still got the whole button band left and that's clearly not going to get done all in one day, even if it is my day off...

The pattern is "03 Heart Yoke Cardigan" from the Holiday 09 Vogue Knitting. It's so weird, in the last dozen issues of Vogue I've only liked about four patterns and three of them are in this one issue.

The pink bits at the edges are a turned hem, they'll be folded inside and sewn down later.

I'm actually considering looking up the legality of marrying a sweater.

Does anyone have advice on picking up stitches for the button band? Should I block it first? I stupidly did a slipped stitch edge along the fronts because I didn't know you weren't supposed to do that for button bands. Plus I'm doing a stockinette band instead of garter so I don't know maybe I need a different number of stitches...argh. It has to be perfect!

That is looking great!

I blocked prior to buttonbanding--it made it easier for me to see and pick up the stitches. The general ratio for pick up along an edge like that in stockinette (which is why you don't slip on buttonband edges) is 3 stitches for every 4 rows. You should still be able to do that even with slipped stitches--just remember that each slipped stitch is 2 rows, and it might be a little fiddly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

That is looking great!

I blocked prior to buttonbanding--it made it easier for me to see and pick up the stitches. The general ratio for pick up along an edge like that in stockinette (which is why you don't slip on buttonband edges) is 3 stitches for every 4 rows. You should still be able to do that even with slipped stitches--just remember that each slipped stitch is 2 rows, and it might be a little fiddly.

Thanks! I've been obsessed with the pattern for over a year now so I tore right through it (cast on January 3rd).

So each slipped stitch is two rows, and I one three for every four rows, that means basically pick up one in one slipped stitch and then two in the next? If I do that I get 137 stitches on each front band. The pattern calls for 108 and my fronts are the right size as far as I can tell (the little diagram doesn't actually have a measurement for the whole front edge - it has two separate ones, one for the bottom part and one for the yoke, so I added them up). But the pattern has a garter band so maybe that accounts for the discrepancy? I know garter compresses vertically but does it compress horizontally too?

I don't even know how to block a cardigan that's all in one piece. Should I just sort of lay it out and pin the fronts down right through the back? This is only the 4th sweater I've ever made, and only the second cardigan so yeah, I pretty much don't know what I'm doing at all when it comes to this stuff. :)

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 31, 2011