Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
DVDBeaver has the Criterion The Double Life Of Veronique up, looks like the Artificial Eye version had quite a bit of DNR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's about time, that'll be a day-one purchase for me.

Ditto. Yay :toot:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Good: David Lynch confirmed Blue Velvet is in the works
Cool: It'll have a a new 5.1 track supervised by Lynch
:aaa:: The deleted scenes and outtakes were found in a Seattle warehouse and will be included as extras.

http://dugpa.com/2011/01/22/lynch-finds-blue-velvet-deleted-scenes-for-upcoming-blue-velvet-blu-ray/

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
There is not an :aaaaa: big enough.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

:aaa:: The deleted scenes and outtakes were found in a Seattle warehouse and will be included as extras.

http://dugpa.com/2011/01/22/lynch-finds-blue-velvet-deleted-scenes-for-upcoming-blue-velvet-blu-ray/

Between this and the Taxi Driver announcement, today is awesome.

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

Egbert Souse posted:

I was listening to "In Dreams" when I read this. Fantastic.

tickle monster fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 24, 2011

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That is awesome, but I want Mulholland Drive. :argh:

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Egbert Souse posted:

The "new" 5.1 mix is the same one on the Blue Velvet DVD in the Lime Green box set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Between this and the Taxi Driver announcement, today is awesome.

drat, I should have looked at the last page. It's Sony, so you know it'll be perfect. No less than a new 4K off the negative supervised by Martin Scorsese, most likely.

tut
Nov 4, 2004

Two Worlds posted:

The "new" 5.1 mix is the same one on the Blue Velvet DVD in the Lime Green box set.

David Lynch posted:

We did a 5.1 a while back and it was horrible. And now Dean and I did a new one and it is so thick and beautiful. It’s the mix, but it’s 5.1 killer beauty.

Was there a 5.1 mix on the original DVD release or is he referring to the mix on the Lime Green set?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

tutpsu posted:

Was there a 5.1 mix on the original DVD release or is he referring to the mix on the Lime Green set?

I think he's talking about the one on the Special Edition Blue Velvet DVD.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
Is Once Upon a Time in America worth upgrading from the DVD?

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

drat, I should have looked at the last page. It's Sony, so you know it'll be perfect. No less than a new 4K off the negative supervised by Martin Scorsese, most likely.

I just hope the final sequence will be color corrected one day. The washed out colors work but I want to see it as how he first planned it damnit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I really dug Megamind, and I'd likely buy the BD when it's more reasonably priced than $27.99, but the cover looks pretty assy:

Click here for the full 1500x1500 image.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Annoying Reveler posted:

Is Once Upon a Time in America worth upgrading from the DVD?
There was a review posted up a few pages back, and the consensus was yes.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Any news on when O Brother, Where Art Thou? might be coming to blu-ray? The only info I can find just says that it hasn't happened yet. I'm in complete and total love with the film and really want to add it to the collection I've started since getting my player for Christmas.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Being There dropped down to $9.99 on Amazon. Includes a free VOD rental of it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IHJ974?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001IHJ974

Geekboy posted:

Any news on when O Brother, Where Art Thou? might be coming to blu-ray? The only info I can find just says that it hasn't happened yet. I'm in complete and total love with the film and really want to add it to the collection I've started since getting my player for Christmas.

No news on a US release but Universal is releasing it in Germany, April 21st

http://www.amazon.de/Brother-where-art-thou-Blu-ray/dp/B004J2L0T0

According to this, it should be region free and has a DTS-HD MA 5.1 English soundtrack

http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/o-brother-where-art-thou-blu-ray-disc

I would wait for confirmation before ordering though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sporadic posted:

Being There dropped down to $9.99 on Amazon. Includes a free VOD rental of it.

What's the rationale behind this?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

morestuff posted:

I got a free VOD of Dr Strangelove when I bought the bd. I really don't see the point either.

Edit: after some googling it looks like they are trying to drum up more interest in the service to compete with netflix and hulu+ on internet TVs.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 25, 2011

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

fenix down posted:

I got a free VOD of Dr Strangelove when I bought the bd. I really don't see the point either.

Edit: after some googling it looks like they are trying to drum up more interest in the service to compete with netflix and hulu+ on internet TVs.

My blu-ray player has the amazon service built in along with netflix and vudu....but I'll never get a use out of a free code when buying the movie since, you know, I have the blu-ray disc itself.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

morestuff posted:

I guess if you want to watch it right that moment and can't wait the two days with prime or week with free saver shipping?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
So, I'm getting ready to sell my collection of roughly 1,500 Blu-Rays and I'm having trouble coming up with what I should ask for them. I'm going to try to sell them all together, as breaking them up would be way too much of a hassle (I know it might be unrealistic to expect someone would want to drop thousands upon thousands of dollars to buy 1500 Blu-Rays all at once, but I have to at least try).

I know the standard asking price is $10 apiece for big lots, but that doesn't really work in this case since I have tons of box sets, tv shows, imports, rare titles, etc. I would guesstimate that the combined suggested retail value is $60k, possibly more (again, just talking MSRP here).

Any thoughts?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Why are you selling them? Financial trouble? Or after buying 1500 of them did you just wake up one day and decide "eh, I really don't like Blu-Ray"?

I would pick out the expensive/rare ones and sell those separately.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bambi posted:

So, I'm getting ready to sell my collection of roughly 1,500 Blu-Rays and I'm having trouble coming up with what I should ask for them. I'm going to try to sell them all together, as breaking them up would be way too much of a hassle (I know it might be unrealistic to expect someone would want to drop thousands upon thousands of dollars to buy 1500 Blu-Rays all at once, but I have to at least try).

I know the standard asking price is $10 apiece for big lots, but that doesn't really work in this case since I have tons of box sets, tv shows, imports, rare titles, etc. I would guesstimate that the combined suggested retail value is $60k, possibly more (again, just talking MSRP here).

Any thoughts?

You have to break them up. Nobody will give you a fair price for all of that, if you can even find a buyer for it all.

Sell the rare/import/boxsets/tv shows individually. Get the max you can out of those.
The movies you have left, if you don't want to sell them individually, bundle into genres and try to sell that way. You'll have a better chance of getting rid of them.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 25, 2011

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bambi posted:

Any thoughts?

Plenty, but nothing constructive.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Why are you selling them? Financial trouble? Or after buying 1500 of them did you just wake up one day and decide "eh, I really don't like Blu-Ray"?

I am loath to get rid of them, but I've never really traveled and decided I would love to just hit the road for a few months.

Sporadic posted:

You have to break them up. Nobody will give you a fair price for all of that, if you can even find a buyer for it all.

Sell the rare/import/boxsets/tv shows individually. Get the max you can out of those.
The movies you have left, if you don't want to sell them individually, bundle into genres and try to sell that way. You may take a hit but if you just want them gone, you'll have a better chance of getting rid of them.

:sigh:

I know this is ultimately what it might have to come down to, but the prospect of shipping out hundreds of different packages is so daunting. I'm going to lose a ton of money on shipping supplies alone, and listing all those auctions on ebay/keeping track of them/etc is such a pain in the rear end. For a few days just let me have my fantasy that somebody will come along and drop 20 grand in my lap.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bambi posted:

I am loath to get rid of them, but I've never really traveled and decided I would love to just hit the road for a few months.

I know this is ultimately what it might have to come down to, but the prospect of shipping out hundreds of different packages is so daunting. I'm going to lose a ton of money on shipping supplies alone, and listing all those auctions on ebay/keeping track of them/etc is such a pain in the rear end. For a few days just let me have my fantasy that somebody will come along and drop 20 grand in my lap.
list it as one lot with a reserve price. (do they still have reserve prices?)

also where do you live i'll take some off your hands if it isn't far :)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bambi posted:

So put 'em in storage. It'll probably be cheaper than what you'd lose on selling them, coming home, and realizing there's a couple hundred that you wish you still had.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

fenix down posted:

list it as one lot with a reserve price. (do they still have reserve prices?)

They do....but I think they also have an "or best offer" function for buy-it-now listings too. Hmm, thanks for reminding me of that!

FitFortDanga posted:

So put 'em in storage. It'll probably be cheaper than what you'd lose on selling them, coming home, and realizing there's a couple hundred that you wish you still had.

The proceeds from the Blu-Rays would be the funding for my travels, though :(

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bambi posted:

Ah... well, I support this endeavor. I'm too old and set in my ways (not to mention married, and gainfully employed) to drop my possessions and hit the road, but it sounds like fun.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bambi posted:

It's not that hard.

List the rare/import/boxsets/tv shows at forums like HighDefDigest, Blu-Ray.com and even here in SA-Mart. Set a hard price for them and include shipping/paypal fees/etc in the price (as in make them eat the cost of that stuff)

Now buy your shipping supplies in bulk from a place like Amazon. For example, I bought these big padded envelopes from PackIt Right. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RJXWJU?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000RJXWJU $27.48 after shipping for 100 envelopes (about $0.28 each) and they are big enough to put multiple movies into it or a boxset. Push come to shove, you can also mail individual movies in them. Mail them USPS first class (cheap yet fast unlike Media Mail) with DC number (for your protection)

With the stuff left over, try posting them on the forums again and say you'll only sell 4-10+ movies at a time. Price them slightly cheaper (or much cheaper if you are looking to move them quickly) than they would go for by themselves. After a few weeks, bundle up what is left by genre and hit Ebay. Set a reserve price and see what happens. You can use the Priority flat rate boxes on those (but keep in mind, the big one, cost about $10)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 25, 2011

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bambi posted:

They do....but I think they also have an "or best offer" function for buy-it-now listings too. Hmm, thanks for reminding me of that!

Just read the fine print because they'll probably charge you like $500 even if it doesn't sell.

Sporadic is right though, you're gonna make a bigger profit if you put more effort into it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If you do start an SAMart thread, announce it here. I'm sure you'll get lots of traffic from people looking to improve their collections, like me.

This is kind of a problem with amassing a giant collection. You have to find the stuff that's rare and individually list the price for it, then there's lots of shipping to be done. And lord helps if even a single package gets lost.
I probably will never sell off my collection of blurays/videogames. Maybe a few pieces that are rare could get sold to pay a bill or two, but nothing like dumping it to fund a big road trip.

I would recommend making a google doc spreadsheet you can link everyone to, and update it when an item sells.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 25, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Alice in Wonderland (100% futterwhacken-free)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

FitFortDanga posted:

Alice in Wonderland (100% futterwhacken-free)

Holy sweet Jesus that looks loving beautiful.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit

Papillon (digibook) 5/24

:monocle::monocle::monocle:

Also:

Leaving Las Vegas 2/1 (Best Buy Exclusive)

:monocle:

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Kino decided to release Dogtooth on Blu-Ray. March 29th.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

Also:

Leaving Las Vegas 2/1 (Best Buy Exclusive)

:monocle:

Put your monocle back on. I had the HD-DVD import and it was extremely rough looking (although you can't expect much considering the source, it is still disappointing)

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Digital Bits is reporting A&E video will release Space: 1999 Season Two on blu-ray sometime later this year. Good news for those who enjoyed season one, as getting one season and then the studio dropping support for the rest of the show seems all too common in blu-ray. Not necessarily with A&E, but the practice is common enough with other studios that I'm always nervous until the announcement.

They're also reporting that Warner will be releasing some animation catalog titles, including Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase, and Aloha Scooby Doo. WB has been pretty much about new releases for animation, so this is a welcome change if they're going to dip into their animation library. Perhaps a release of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm may be in the cards down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Space_Butler posted:

They're also reporting that Warner will be releasing some animation catalog titles, including Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase, and Aloha Scooby Doo. WB has been pretty much about new releases for animation, so this is a welcome change if they're going to dip into their animation library. Perhaps a release of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm may be in the cards down the line.

Return of the Joker and Mask of the Phantasm would be amazing. I wonder what kind of HD sources exist for those.

• Locked thread