Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

smallmouth posted:

I use the smallest one of these: http://www.sfbags.com/products/iphone-cases/images/travelcase-set-black-lg.jpg.

Something like that looks perfect, good to know that an iPhone bag will fit even if it's a little on the tight side. Opens up a ton of options for cases.

teethgrinder posted:

What's wrong with it? I like the one that lets you still use the PSP inside it. It does a perfectly good job of protecting my Go when I just toss it in my bag.

Having to play it in the case would drive me crazy. If it was easier to get in and out of the case I'd probably pick one up, but it looks like quite the struggle on youtube. I'll probably snag the cheap zipper one as a temporary solution til I can find a nice non-Sony one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't understand why playing in the case would drive anyone crazy, but to each his/her own. I find it so drat convenient when I need to quickly break from gaming to transfer trains or whatever.

What YouTube video is this? It's honestly not a big deal to get it in and out of the case, I do it all the time to dock my Go, but if you're not going to play in the case you're far better off getting something different.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Something like that looks perfect, good to know that an iPhone bag will fit even if it's a little on the tight side. Opens up a ton of options for cases.

Well, that particular iPhone bag at least. I don't think just any iPhone case would work. The go has similar dimensions to some of the smart phones, but always seems off by just enough. I haven't found many cases that work with it. I'd prefer something slim enough I could pocket it without having to worry about the screen. If you find something else that works well, let us know.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It appears that PSPhone's name is "PlayStation Pocket", judging from the English OS text in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Oh good that won't be confusing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
And are we sure it is actually a phone? It sure looks like an updated Go to me.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Samurai Sanders posted:

And are we sure it is actually a phone? It sure looks like an updated Go to me.

It's made by Sony Erricson and runs Android, so it's a phone for sure.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Policenaut posted:

It appears that PSPhone's name is "PlayStation Pocket", judging from the English OS text in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

That's the name of the app used to download games, the actual name is "XPERIA Play".

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
So what about that PSP 2 picture that is going around sites like Joystiq and Kotaku that they're saying is likely real. The rumor that it was a capacitive screen aside (which makes the stylus in the photo an odd choice), did anyone else find it strange that it's also shown with a regular SD card (which, correct me if I'm wrong, Sony doesn't tend to put in any of their handheld devices), and an old rear end larger memory stick, when even the old fat PSP didn't use. Sorry I can't post a copy of the pic, but I can't get to any of the usual suspect sites from work :P

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'd imagine the big memory stick would probably be for games, and it would take SD cards for memory. At least that's what I'm hoping, since Sony is starting to embrace SD cards in cameras and phones now.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Edison Carter posted:

So what about that PSP 2 picture that is going around sites like Joystiq and Kotaku that they're saying is likely real.

Those sites are clueless. It's a blatant photoshop of the Xperia Play phone shown above, plus it goes against all the earlier rumors about the device (namely, that it's not going to have the PSPgo slider design).

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Captain Novolin posted:

I'd imagine the big memory stick would probably be for games, and it would take SD cards for memory. At least that's what I'm hoping, since Sony is starting to embrace SD cards in cameras and phones now.

Right after I spent $100 importing a loving 16 gigabyte M2 card for my Go. Sony really needs to go just stop with their proprietary formats for everything. That or at least quit losing and have their formats fall into obscurity (Betamax, Memorystick, MD everywhere except Japan, UMD, etc).

Edit: the fact that I had to buy a Sandisk brand M2 was kind of sad as well.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 25, 2011

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Sheep posted:

Right after I spent $100 importing a loving 16 gigabyte M2 card for my Go. Sony really needs to go just stop with their proprietary formats for everything. That or at least quit losing and have their formats fall into obscurity (Betamax, Memorystick, MD everywhere except Japan, UMD, etc).

Edit: the fact that I had to buy a Sandisk brand M2 was kind of sad as well.

What? Why would you import an M2 card?

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 26, 2011

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

smallmouth posted:

What? Why would you import an M2 card?

For the PSPGo, he said. I got one, too.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
A hundred bucks? :monocle: Holy crap, I picked one up from some dude on eBay for $33 a couple months ago, it was a 16GB Sandisk M2 as well. His ID was komp_bay but it looks like his ebay store doesn't exist anymore. Shipping was cheap and fast too!

e: hey that guy from that Amazon link down there is the same dude! He's pretty good if you're thinking about getting one.
VVVVVVV

frogg fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 26, 2011

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Oh yeah I didn't pay $100 it was like $40 for mine.

As long as it has MagicGate signing (and not just written on it) then I don't see an issue.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I have a Go as well, with a 16GB card. You guys got taken for a ride. I bought mine quite a while ago and it was only $40 then.

All said, I agree it'd be nice if Sony used more ubiquitous formats.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 26, 2011

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I live in Japan, where oddly enough even things made in Japan (like Sony M2 cards) are cheaper to just import from America. Cheapest M2 card I found in my city of half a million was roughly $140 USD, although after looking deeper I could have bought one from amazon.co.jp for ~$80 USD.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Sheep posted:

I live in Japan, where oddly enough even things made in Japan (like Sony M2 cards) are cheaper to just import from America. Cheapest M2 card I found in my city of half a million was roughly $140 USD, although after looking deeper I could have bought one from amazon.co.jp for ~$80 USD.

That's insane. Sorry for my Western-centric assumptions.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
So this Sony event that's on this evening, should we be expecting much live coverage on any sites? Where should I be looking?

edit: I guess I'll start here http://www.andriasang.com/e/topics/2011/01/24/ps_meeting_2011/

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Mug posted:

So this Sony event that's on this evening, should we be expecting much live coverage on any sites? Where should I be looking?

edit: I guess I'll start here http://www.andriasang.com/e/topics/2011/01/24/ps_meeting_2011/

Kotaku is having a liveblog of the event.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
so its 8:30am in Australia now, so the even is at 5pm this afternoon, right?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Mug posted:

so its 8:30am in Australia now, so the even is at 5pm this afternoon, right?

Yes... lucky bastards. Why can't they do it in the morning there... 10AM in Japan is only 8PM EST. But I can't really justify staying up that late on a work night.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone got to use the Xperia Play for a few days and wrote about it.

Link to Kotaku's CoverItLive live chat stream of the Playstation press conference. The person covering it found chairs labels for Toshihiro Nagoshi (involved with the Yakuza series), Jun Takeuchi (producer of Resident Evil 5), Kojima and Epic Games.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 27, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yechezkel posted:

Someone got to use the Xperia Play for a few days and wrote about it.

Link to Kotaku's CoverItLive live chat stream of the Playstation press conference. The person covering it found chairs labels for Toshihiro Nagoshi (involved with the Yakuza series), Jun Takeuchi (producer of Resident Evil 5), Kojima and Epic Games.

Oh poo poo! I knew Nagoshi was gonna be there but Takeuchi and Kojima?! God drat man, come onnnn give us those 3DS Resident Evil games come on man!

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wait, is this conference just going to be about potential new portable systems? No new PS3 games being announced?

SCE Europe might reveal some stuff ...

twitter.com/PlaystationEU posted:

Any earlybirds might want to take a look at the PlayStation.Blog tomorrow morning from 6am, UK time. Night everyone. http://bit.ly/FJOXs about 8 hours ago via web
That's 10PM Pacific, but nothing new was posted on the EU Blog yet.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 27, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yechezkel posted:

Wait, is this conference just going to be about potential new portable systems? No new PS3 games being announced?

I'm assuming as such that it's only going to be about PSP2 and Xperia Play, Sony only uses these conferences to reveal new hardware.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Activision is present as well and someone at Kotaku Japan spotted a sign apparently reading "Next Generation Portable"

T-Minus 10 ya'll.

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

Welp, looks like I'm gonna be asleep in Biology tomorrow. V:downs:V

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hope they don't talk about Monster Hunter for a long time again, like in TGS.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

They're going to talk about anything but the PSP2 for at least half an hour.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yechezkel posted:

Oh man that was painful. I'm almost kinda glad this isn't being broadcast because you know they would just black screen any footage that mattered.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
So, we just all reading Kotaku's live thingie for this?

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

Seems like it!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, settle in though because it looks like Kaz saved all his pretentious poo poo for this after not using it at E3. He's just gonna blather on about PSPhone for now.

Oh hey Suda51 is here too!

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
1up.com CoverItLive live chat stream

PlayStation Suite announced.

"The target platform of PlayStation Suite is Android platforms."

"They are launching a new program, called "PlayStation Certified" This is to ensure playstaiton quality across various devices "This means users have a choice among preferred hardware" It aims to emulate first gen PlayStation games "

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 27, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man, Japan needs to get on the internet wagon. I can't find video streams of the event anywhere. I was hoping Nicovideo would have one, at least.

edit: スイーツ(笑)

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 27, 2011

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
PlayStation Suite will run on all Android phones, not just Xperia, and will deliver PSone games digitally.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I stayed up for this? Almost hoping they don't announce the PSP2 to stick it to all those gaming sites thinking they are so smug, calling it the worst kept gaming secret ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
My brother might like this news. He plays around with that kind of phone all the time.

PS Blog has their own CoverItLive live chat

quote:

"Here's the successor system to PlayStation Portable, codenamed "NGP"

"A new interface that translates actions into inputs"

"Location based entertainment"

"converging real and virtual worlds via augmented reality"
Yup, sounds like Sony.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 27, 2011

• Locked thread