Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I went from a Vibrant to a Desire Z and the audio just doesn't sound as great. Are there any kernels or tweaks I can use to improve the quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ashex posted:

I went from a Vibrant to a Desire Z and the audio just doesn't sound as great. Are there any kernels or tweaks I can use to improve the quality?

I've found that HTC phones just tend to have poor DACs for music; hissy and poppy and they definitely reduce the sampling rate at some point in the chain. The ones in my MT3G are unbearably bad while those in my sister's Fascinate are awesome. Hopefully you do find a tweak, but I couldn't find anything when I looked a few months ago -- you're likely stuck with it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Ashex posted:

Nope. Samsung unfortunately are the only ones who think to put a good DAC in a phone other than Apple of course. My HTC phone right now can't power my headphones fully, and I'm hoping that the MyTouch 4G I'm getting soon can.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've been tasked with permarooting my buddy's brand new G2. My research seems to point to the rage/gfree method as the safest and easiest.

Does that guide look correct for anyone who's done it and is there anything I should know before diving in?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Ashex posted:

This is very true. There are zero problems if you however use a Bluetooth-headset, where the DAC isn't involved at all. I would never have gotten a HTC-phone unless I had a Bluetooth-headset.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
Very basic question, but does anyone have an incredible that they flashed to the latest stable cyanogen? I'm new to rooting, when I tried it I couldn't activate the phone. At the activation screen there is no keypad, and google nets me "hold menu to get a keyboard," which gets a keyboard, not a keypad, and the phone doesn't seem to pass the keypresses on to verizon (so I can't push 1 to activate). Anyone else run into this problem? I'm sure it's something simple...

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ndrake posted:

Very basic question, but does anyone have an incredible that they flashed to the latest stable cyanogen? I'm new to rooting, when I tried it I couldn't activate the phone. At the activation screen there is no keypad, and google nets me "hold menu to get a keyboard," which gets a keyboard, not a keypad, and the phone doesn't seem to pass the keypresses on to verizon (so I can't push 1 to activate). Anyone else run into this problem? I'm sure it's something simple...

I've flashed CM 6.1 a bunch due to some idiotic belief that it might be worth trying a Sense ROM here and there, and I've never had any trouble like this.

The usual prescription for weird crap with CM is to wipe and reinstall. If that doesn't work, try downloading the ZIPs for the ROM and the Gapps from the website and doing a manual wipe/install rather than using ROM Manager.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Does that guide look correct for anyone who's done it and is there anything I should know before diving in?
It's essentially correct.

Note the trickiest part is getting the "rage" exploit to actually take. It pretty much always worked on 2.1/2.2 devices, but on 2.2.1 it's a bit more finicky. For example, if you were to deviate from the guide's directions and run rage through "adb shell" it probably won't work for you. As the guide suggests, launching it through "Android Terminal Emulator" actually works, despite being less convenient. Alternatively you should be able to call rage through a shell script that's run from "adb shell", but that requires more on your part.

Personally I'm not a fan of that actual "root" script. The two things it does that I don't like are installing the full busybox symlink set to /system/bin, overwriting the toolbox ones, and installing Superuser.apk to /system. I'm a fan of "making as few changes to /system as possible", at least if your intention is to run a largely stock ROM.

If you're comfortable with the shell, you might want to consider cherry picking parts of the root script to run manually. If not, just go ahead and run it as is--many folks have rooted their phone this way and it's at least a common setup. Plus, if you're going to be installing CyanogenMod or another custom ROM then all of this will be overwritten and it doesn't really matter anyways.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

LastInLine posted:

I've been tasked with permarooting my buddy's brand new G2. My research seems to point to the rage/gfree method as the safest and easiest.

That guide should be good to use. It's the same one that I used for my G2. It's really easy to follow and should really only take about 10-15 minutes to get root. Probably less if you have everything all set up and ready to go.

Edit: Beaten

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

ndrake posted:

I'm pretty sure that when that happened to me, wiping my data cache and dalvik cache fixed it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

ilifin posted:

This is very true. There are zero problems if you however use a Bluetooth-headset, where the DAC isn't involved at all. I would never have gotten a HTC-phone unless I had a Bluetooth-headset.

Bugger, I went with an HTC because I perceive it as having a higher build quality then the SGS phones. So far I've noticed that the camera isn't as nice, speaker phone is a bit tinny, and the DAC isn't as good.

I guess I'll be going with that bluetooth option I was looking at in my next car.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Ashex posted:

Bugger, I went with an HTC because I perceive it as having a higher build quality then the SGS phones. So far I've noticed that the camera isn't as nice, speaker phone is a bit tinny, and the DAC isn't as good.

I guess I'll be going with that bluetooth option I was looking at in my next car.

If it makes you feel any better, Bluetooth streaming from my DI sounds better than it did on my Moto Droid. Could be placebo effect, but hey, as long as I'm happy, right?

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007
Anyone with a Viewsonic GTablet (Tegra2 version), the good folks at XDA have already ported the Notion Ink Adam firmware. Come try out the NI's Panel system and new browser!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=928152

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

ilifin posted:

Sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent but can you recommend some monitor quality Bluetooth headphones, I was about to buy some sennheiser hd 25-1s but you've made me rethink that, if I use Bluetooth will it get rid of that horrible pulse noise that repeats every second on my desire?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's essentially correct.

Note the trickiest part is getting the "rage" exploit to actually take. It pretty much always worked on 2.1/2.2 devices, but on 2.2.1 it's a bit more finicky. For example, if you were to deviate from the guide's directions and run rage through "adb shell" it probably won't work for you. As the guide suggests, launching it through "Android Terminal Emulator" actually works, despite being less convenient. Alternatively you should be able to call rage through a shell script that's run from "adb shell", but that requires more on your part.

Personally I'm not a fan of that actual "root" script. The two things it does that I don't like are installing the full busybox symlink set to /system/bin, overwriting the toolbox ones, and installing Superuser.apk to /system. I'm a fan of "making as few changes to /system as possible", at least if your intention is to run a largely stock ROM.

If you're comfortable with the shell, you might want to consider cherry picking parts of the root script to run manually. If not, just go ahead and run it as is--many folks have rooted their phone this way and it's at least a common setup. Plus, if you're going to be installing CyanogenMod or another custom ROM then all of this will be overwritten and it doesn't really matter anyways.
I do think there will be a custom ROM soon if not immediately so yeah, I'm not worried where poo poo ends up in the stock rooted ROM.

Thanks to both, should be starting this soon.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Is anyone having problems with the wireless tethering on the newest CM7? Is that not something they've implemented yet, or am I doing it wrong?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Moogs posted:

Is anyone having problems with the wireless tethering on the newest CM7? Is that not something they've implemented yet, or am I doing it wrong?

From what I understand, wireless tethering functioning is dependent on the kernel, so you could try some a different kernel. I believe a few are compatible with CM7. I was wireless tethering with the unofficial CM7 builds on my EVO, but I just tried it with the official nightly builds and I can't get it to work now either.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Anyone know of a method to have Superuser auto-deny root access? Was just considering a way to prevent malicious apps from being granted access by accident.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Just got back from OfficeDepot with my new Viewsonic G-Tablet. Going to root the crap out of this thing once it gets done charging.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

JayKay posted:

Just got back from OfficeDepot with my new Viewsonic G-Tablet. Going to root the crap out of this thing once it gets done charging.

Somehow I completely missed this thing even being announced...I look forward to hearing how you like it, because I might go pick one up if it turns out to be pretty solid.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

orange lime posted:

I've found that HTC phones just tend to have poor DACs for music; hissy and poppy and they definitely reduce the sampling rate at some point in the chain. The ones in my MT3G are unbearably bad while those in my sister's Fascinate are awesome. Hopefully you do find a tweak, but I couldn't find anything when I looked a few months ago -- you're likely stuck with it.

I got a massive increase in quality somewhere between CM5 and CM6 on my HTC Magic (original without the 3.5mm socket). Its still a bit hissy during quiet passages but the general poor sample rate sound is gone.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Ozmodiar posted:

Somehow I completely missed this thing even being announced...I look forward to hearing how you like it, because I might go pick one up if it turns out to be pretty solid.

First impressions are poor. Slow as hell and half of the screen was dead. Now that im running a 3rd party rom and was able to recalibrate he scren via a hack, this thing is pretty slick. Actually posting from the gtab right now.

In other news, mine was definetly previously used as its obvious someone tried to root it before and had some user data on it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

JayKay posted:

First impressions are poor. Slow as hell and half of the screen was dead. Now that im running a 3rd party rom and was able to recalibrate he scren via a hack, this thing is pretty slick. Actually posting from the gtab right now.

In other news, mine was definetly previously used as its obvious someone tried to root it before and had some user data on it.

They sold you a used Gtab as new? :psyduck: This is why I don't trust places like Office Depot anymore.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Kazy posted:

They sold you a used Gtab as new? :psyduck: This is why I don't trust places like Office Depot anymore.

They warned me that it appeared open and it was the last one. I tried to get a discount but no luck. I have 14 days to exchange.

After using this, my DX seems tiny.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

soru posted:

I'm pretty sure that when that happened to me, wiping my data cache and dalvik cache fixed it.

Thanks, will try that.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

JayKay posted:

They warned me that it appeared open and it was the last one. I tried to get a discount but no luck. I have 14 days to exchange.

After using this, my DX seems tiny.

You had me worried for a minute.

Seriously, if you don't mind (and you remember) send me a PM with your thoughts on it in a few days. I'm seriously considering this.

In unrelated news, I just flashed CM7 Nightly 13 and it's stable as gently caress. Aside from the GPS not staying on (known issue), I have no problems with this, and I'm liking Gingerbread quite a bit (The new method for text selection is enough by itself to make me love GB).

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
don't know if this has been asked prior but has there been any word on whether current tablets will be able to upgrade to Honeycomb?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

travisray2004 posted:

don't know if this has been asked prior but has there been any word on whether current tablets will be able to upgrade to Honeycomb?

It's android so there's no reason to believe you won't be able to upgrade it via rooting + rom like most devices.

Manufacturers probably won't give a gently caress though. Especially if it's Samsung and your free update to Honeycomb would conflict with their money sucking Tab 2.0 shipping with Honeycomb and gently caress all else for added value.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

From XDA, it sounds like officially Viewsonic will not put out Honeycomb for the Gtab however there will probably be unofficial support.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Is there anyway to manually set my location? For some reason half the market is not appearing (Miren, Dolphin Browser, pretty much most of the apps I have on my DX) on my G-Tablet and I think it's because it can't determine my location.

I have the location settings enabled for wifi, but no luck. Also tried Market Enabler, but no dice.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Solly posted:

Sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent but can you recommend some monitor quality Bluetooth headphones, I was about to buy some sennheiser hd 25-1s but you've made me rethink that, if I use Bluetooth will it get rid of that horrible pulse noise that repeats every second on my desire?
Yes, the Bluetooth connection just sends what audio you wish it to. I don't know of this pulse is a program or not, but if it is hardware noise you won't get it over Bluetooth. I own a pair of Sennheiser MM450 myself and haven't been more content with any other pair of smaller headphones that work well on cellphones. They're also foldable and are generally aimed at people traveling and/or commuting.

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

JayKay posted:

Is there anyway to manually set my location? For some reason half the market is not appearing (Miren, Dolphin Browser, pretty much most of the apps I have on my DX) on my G-Tablet and I think it's because it can't determine my location.

I have the location settings enabled for wifi, but no luck. Also tried Market Enabler, but no dice.

Give MoreLocale 2 a try, has worked for me a few times :)

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

MrBishi posted:

Give MoreLocale 2 a try, has worked for me a few times :)

Gave it a shot, no luck. It probably has something to do with the rom (VEGAN beta 5) I'm running. Going to try CM 7.0 Beta now. It's odd because other Gtab users seem to be fine. :confused:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

zamin posted:

Tried that. Still no dice. I'm actually on my second device due to an unrelated issue, and that one wouldn't get recognized, either. I doubt I've had two phones with the same (probably rare) problem, so my money's on me either screwing something up or something in my computer hardware not being just right.

I appreciate all of the suggestions and help on this issue.

Ouch. All I can suggest is ask to borrow a friends PC/Laptop and do it there. Shouldn't be a problem if you explain. You may get by on novelty value alone.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

ilifin posted:

Yes, the Bluetooth connection just sends what audio you wish it to. I don't know of this pulse is a program or not, but if it is hardware noise you won't get it over Bluetooth. I own a pair of Sennheiser MM450 myself and haven't been more content with any other pair of smaller headphones that work well on cellphones. They're also foldable and are generally aimed at people traveling and/or commuting.

Thanks just bought the mm400's cant afford the noise cancellation its about a £100 more and it will only eat the battery anyway, I'll stick to my current method of simply turning the volume up.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Is it at all possible to use A2SD without installing a custom rom, I have searched and searched the xda forums and most of it is going way over my head, but I cant find a simple answer or guide anywhere, please forgive me if I am being an idiot.

Solly fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 26, 2011

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I missed the initial rush to update my rooted Evo with the new OTA stock rom and radios. Anyone have a link to the new radios and a stock, rooted rom?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Solly posted:

Is it at all possible to use A2SD without installing a custom rom, I have searched and searched the xda forums and most of it is going way over my head, but I cant find a simple answer or guide anywhere, please forgive me if I am being an idiot.

This is a very old guide that may be for a specific handset, but in theory there is no reason why this would not work. You would first need to partition and format your SD card to have an ext2 partition (another format might be better but would depend on support in your ROM). You would of course need to be rooted to even attempt it, and the middle part of the process is describing booting into a specific recovery to run some of the commands - I doubt you could create a valid copy of your phone's various system directories while the system was actually using them.

The commands are initially copying everything in various directories of your phone's memory onto the partition you've created, then creating symlinks (shortcuts, but more powerful) on your phone's memory to the copied data.

I'm by no means an expert on android, but from my knowledge of Linux it should work. A few deal-breakers would be if your current ROM/kernel will not mount the partition automatically (and early enough in the boot sequence); does not support symlinks; or if your busybox or ROM/kernel cannot handle symlinks between different devices.

However, this is not something that you should attempt unless you know what you're doing or have a sure-fire way to recover your phone if you gently caress it up. It's probably definitely a stupid idea, and you should just use a custom ROM that is close to stock but has been patched to support A2SD.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

..btt posted:

This is a very old guide that may be for a specific handset, but in theory there is no reason why this would not work. You would first need to partition and format your SD card to have an ext2 partition (another format might be better but would depend on support in your ROM). You would of course need to be rooted to even attempt it, and the middle part of the process is describing booting into a specific recovery to run some of the commands - I doubt you could create a valid copy of your phone's various system directories while the system was actually using them.

The commands are initially copying everything in various directories of your phone's memory onto the partition you've created, then creating symlinks (shortcuts, but more powerful) on your phone's memory to the copied data.

I'm by no means an expert on android, but from my knowledge of Linux it should work. A few deal-breakers would be if your current ROM/kernel will not mount the partition automatically (and early enough in the boot sequence); does not support symlinks; or if your busybox or ROM/kernel cannot handle symlinks between different devices.

However, this is not something that you should attempt unless you know what you're doing or have a sure-fire way to recover your phone if you gently caress it up. It's probably definitely a stupid idea, and you should just use a custom ROM that is close to stock but has been patched to support A2SD.

Thanks, its taken me all afternoon, but Im now rooted and attempting to download just such a custom rom. Its been really quite a simple process and could have been done in a few minutes but I've been checking every little detail a million times and from various sources since I do not want to screw this up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

Why are you trying to a2sd without installing a rom, exactly? There are multiple nice, simple roms that do it - MIUI also apparently has its own, "Advanced" version, but I've never used it.

Also, any particular reason not to use the built in "move to SD"? It's what I use when I need more room.