Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Does a hiring freeze mean that they aren't hiring anybody period or that their number of employees will stay where it is now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

i think it means they aren't going to hire anyone and they might not replace people who leave either, or replace every other person

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Roger_Mudd posted:

A job!

3L, 4E – Special Project to help the Class of 2011

The SBA and Career Services are looking for a good writer and editor who would create a motivational newsletter for students tackling the job search. We aim to send out a newsletter in February, March and April. We want to publish success stories and advice on how to approach the job search in this market. Interested students send your resume and an email describing your interest to XXX@YYY.edu. This position is paid.

Hey, don't edit out the email address.
I need booze money!

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
Talked to my law professor about prepping for a career in IP over the summer. Besides the obvious "pass the patent bar" advice she recommended working at an IP-related non-profit to demonstrate interest and do something legal related.

Anybody have any suggestions on any IP-related summer positions to apply for? I have a good (top ~5%) GPA at a T30 school in California, and would prefer something in California or Boston. My ugrad degree was in CS. Like all 1Ls I am willing to work for free and offer some all of my blood to the blood god.

Damn Phantom fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 26, 2011

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

Roger_Mudd posted:

A job!

3L, 4E – Special Project to help the Class of 2011

The SBA and Career Services are looking for a good writer and editor who would create a motivational newsletter for students tackling the job search. We aim to send out a newsletter in February, March and April. We want to publish success stories and advice on how to approach the job search in this market. Interested students send your resume and an email describing your interest to XXX@YYY.edu. This position is paid.

It's a writing gig for someone who already has success stories or advice to give... So the job is only for people who already have jobs? I don't think that's going to help the school's employment numbers.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

drat Phantom posted:

Talked to my law professor about prepping for a career in IP over the summer. Besides the obvious "pass the patent bar" advice she recommended working at an IP-related non-profit to demonstrate interest and do something legal related.

Anybody have any suggestions on any IP-related summer positions to apply for? I have a good (top ~5%) GPA at a T30 school in California, and would prefer something in California or Boston. My ugrad degree was in CS. Like all 1Ls I am willing to work for free and offer some all of my blood to the blood god.

A good University technology transfer office might not be the worst idea if you are desperate.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

drat Phantom posted:

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to do patent prosecution, then just try to get that type of experience, even at a small patent prosecution shop. If you want to do litigation, licensing, whatever, then maybe that professor's idea would work. Lots of CA companies also hire 1Ls as in-house interns.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Devoz posted:

A good University technology transfer office might not be the worst idea if you are desperate.

Not saying causation, but both of the students in my class who got Summer gigs at our tech transfer office ended up with biglaw IP jobs.

EFF is bigname too but you've got less than a week to apply:

http://www.eff.org/about/opportunities/interns

Edit: It sounds suspiciously like you're at Davis. That's a tough tech transfer office to get into with a CS degree as they are much heavier into biosci related stuff. You should apply nonetheless. It's a paid position too, unless something has changed.

srsly fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 26, 2011

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I just read the text of his speech and I really hope that his cuts to the federal government don't last. Justice, the EPA, the SEC, the NRLB: these things are actually very efficient organizations, and it would be stupid and wrong to cut them instead of social security, medicare, or the military. Seriously, all of Justice runs on 30 billion dollars a year. If I'm not mistaken, that's every federal courthouse, every federal judge, every ausa, and every federal defender, as well as all their support and maintenance costs. Thirty billion of two trillion. Pennies on the dollar.

Also I want a job.

EDIT: I looked it up and the judiciary is a separate budget item (seven billion). Still, that's really cheap for a national system.

billion dollar bitch fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 26, 2011

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
Thanks for all the ideas! As mrtoodles suspects, I'm currently at Davis. I'm more interested in litigation and licensing than prosecution.

The tech transfer office idea is sound and I'll be looking into that over the next few days. I'll also keep my eye out for in-house intern positions at various CA companies. Is there any kind of index I can run through of the big players in CA who'd be likely to hire? I'm only really aware of Yahoo and Google.

edit: Just found this listing, although it's a bit outdated. Maybe it'll be of some use to other CA 1Ls who may be lurking. http://www.uchastings.edu/site_files/CSO/accasurvey.pdf

Damn Phantom fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 26, 2011

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

drat Phantom posted:

Thanks for all the ideas! As mrtoodles suspects, I'm currently at Davis. I'm more interested in litigation and licensing than prosecution.

The tech transfer office idea is sound and I'll be looking into that over the next few days. I'll also keep my eye out for in-house intern positions at various CA companies. Is there any kind of index I can run through of the big players in CA who'd be likely to hire? I'm only really aware of Yahoo and Google.

edit: Just found this listing, although it's a bit outdated. Maybe it'll be of some use to other CA 1Ls who may be lurking. http://www.uchastings.edu/site_files/CSO/accasurvey.pdf

Are you the homie I hooked up the DropBox with? Regardless, one thing you might want to do is look into tech companies in the OC and Del Mar (San Diego). There's a growing tech and entrepreneur feel in both those areas. Del Mar is more pharmaceuticals, biotech and medical devices if that's your bag.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

drat Phantom posted:

The career services office at Berkeley puts together a really good list of companies that hire legal interns, complete with details and contact info, how/when to apply. To my recollection both Cisco and Sun had decent programs when I was in school. But there's a ton of companies I had never heard of or never would have thought of.

If you have any connections at Berkeley, see if you can get your hands on that list.

Also, you need to go to the SFIPLA job fair this summer. That is how I got my biglaw patent litigation job (I went to Davis too). The Loyola Chicago one is a total crapshoot if you're not coming from a T14. I had not the greatest grades ever my 1L year and I still got 8 interviews and 2 offers from the SFIPLA fair -- You're really only competing against the other 5 NorCal schools and a lot of firms take it as an opportunity to check out the talent from schools they don't do OCI at, i.e. Davis.

The SFIPLA job fair is open only to SFIPLA student members, so go sign up right now. And the sign-up deadline is strangely early if I recall.. like in May or June. The fair usually takes place before your 1L Summer is even over.

A lot of my classmates interested in IP law didn't go because they "didn't know about it" or were "just gonna do the one in Chicago". I think that turned out to be a serious mistake. I had a summer offer at my first choice firm Thursday of the first week of OCI. People who had better grades than me are still unemployed.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
Tons of companies in Silicon Valley have in house legal interns. Just off the top of my head, I know that the following companies have or at least had in house legal interns primarily geared towards 1Ls: Cisco, Sun (so now Oracle if they kept the program), Google, NetGear, HP, eBay, Intel, Sandisk, Yahoo, Applied Materials...

Someone mentioned the EFF - you could also try the ACLU's technology and liberty group.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mrtoodles posted:

The career services office at Berkeley puts together a really good list of companies that hire legal interns, complete with details and contact info, how/when to apply. To my recollection both Cisco and Sun had decent programs when I was in school. But there's a ton of companies I had never heard of or never would have thought of.

If you have any connections at Berkeley, see if you can get your hands on that list.

Also, you need to go to the SFIPLA job fair this summer. That is how I got my biglaw patent litigation job (I went to Davis too). The Loyola Chicago one is a total crapshoot if you're not coming from a T14. I had not the greatest grades ever my 1L year and I still got 8 interviews and 2 offers from the SFIPLA fair -- You're really only competing against the other 5 NorCal schools and a lot of firms take it as an opportunity to check out the talent from schools they don't do OCI at, i.e. Davis.

The SFIPLA job fair is open only to SFIPLA student members, so go sign up right now. And the sign-up deadline is strangely early if I recall.. like in May or June. The fair usually takes place before your 1L Summer is even over.

A lot of my classmates interested in IP law didn't go because they "didn't know about it" or were "just gonna do the one in Chicago". I think that turned out to be a serious mistake. I had a summer offer at my first choice firm Thursday of the first week of OCI. People who had better grades than me are still unemployed.
You should listen to Toodles, he's our future Mookie, though he left his keyboard in disgusting shape.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm forced to take a law class for my non-law grad program (Urban Planning). I'm not happy about it at all. I came into it knowing nothing about this whole law school trip and caring less. The book is nigh-unreadable. Sure, I can read the actual words, but they're almost impossible to put together into any kind of meaning, and I find myself spacing out after half a page. So help me out here, and I apologize if this has been long covered. Is there a very comprehensive online law case database with tons and tons of cases, so I can search for a case and get a fairly concise summary, rather than read page after page of jargon? Or at least, so I go back and read the jargonish details with some kind of idea about what the whole mess is supposed to be about. Thanks!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
There is such a database, but it's subscription only and you will probably find the case summaries as inscrutable as the cases themselves. It's called Westlaw. If you go to your school's law library, you should be able to use the library's Westlaw account to look up the cases, but you'll have to understand the citation format oh gently caress it what's the use

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Kaiser Bill posted:

I'm forced to take a law class for my non-law grad program (Urban Planning). I'm not happy about it at all. I came into it knowing nothing about this whole law school trip and caring less. The book is nigh-unreadable. Sure, I can read the actual words, but they're almost impossible to put together into any kind of meaning, and I find myself spacing out after half a page. So help me out here, and I apologize if this has been long covered. Is there a very comprehensive online law case database with tons and tons of cases, so I can search for a case and get a fairly concise summary, rather than read page after page of jargon? Or at least, so I go back and read the jargonish details with some kind of idea about what the whole mess is supposed to be about. Thanks!

What you are looking for are 'briefs' and it is what lawyers are paid to write so no not really. And as Phil says, anything you find on Westlaw or Lexis is going to be just as jargonheavy as the case itself.

As for legal writing being the death of meaning - yes, see the Rodell essay I posted on the last page. Legal writing isn't supposed to have meaning. That would prevent lawyers from being able to function as priests.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Kaiser Bill posted:

I know a lawyer who graduated a T14 law school and after not getting a job at a firm, got a job teaching urban planning at a college.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 26, 2011

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Kaiser Bill posted:

Law books are all horribly written.

Also, here is Posner owning the bluebook.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Kaiser Bill posted:

The others have already covered the standard issue answers. As a last resort, you can always try Wikipedia (if it's a big name case) or typing the name/citation into google and seeing if some desperate student has uploaded a brief to the web.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I have often considered posting misleading information on wikis of cases we're covering in class, to make the curve easier.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

billion dollar bitch posted:

I have often considered posting misleading information on wikis of cases we're covering in class, to make the curve easier.
Hahaha

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

mrtoodles posted:

Ya if this was for the Davis homie who has my AIM you know what to do.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Do it. If they're using wiki when they have access to case summaries through Lexis/Westlaw, they deserve to fail.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You really think you can pull one over on wikipedia editors? Lawyer wikipedia editors?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Ainsley McTree posted:

You really think you can pull one over on wikipedia editors? Lawyer wikipedia editors?

somewhere, parahexavoctal just awoke in the dead of night, sweating, stick in hand

someone....someone is...vandalizing

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I'm taking law and literature this semester and it's p. cool. Any ideas what I could write a paper on? A couple of things I've been kicking around are the use of humour in judicial opinions, or the depiction of law in space operas.

If Bioware RPGs count as literature maybe I could do something with that :allears:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I don't talk to the stick

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Law textbooks are a gigantic loving game of hide-the-ball and are meant to be more difficult than they should be so they can justify this stupid loving tradition of worthlessness.

God drat, last semester of law school makes me want to kill myself.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wikipedia's entries on major legal concepts and big cases are really helpful, and highlight what a limited overpriced piece of poo poo Lexis/Westlaw ultimately are.

Lets say I need to briefly look up the Supreme Court's punitive damages decision in State Farm v. Campbell. I can go to Westlaw and read the entire case, OR I can trawl through a million loving databases hoping someone did a precis entirely on State Farm, randomly sorting through keywords.

Or I can go to wikipedia in 10 seconds, and read:

The Court reached this conclusion applying guideposts first noted in BMW of North America, Inc. v. Gore, 517 U. S. 559 (1996), requiring courts to consider:

(1) The degree of reprehensibility of the defendant's misconduct,
(2) The disparity between the actual or potential harm suffered by the plaintiff and the punitive damages award.
(3) The difference between the punitive damages awarded by the jury and the civil penalties authorized or imposed in comparable cases.

Which 90% of the time is what I need for a quick answer. Then I can do additional research from there. And if you go to their punitive damage section, it cites to State Farm and BMW, the two major cases.

It's even more helpful when you need to get started on a new legal concept. What am I supposed to do in Westlaw to get grounded in punitive damages? Searching randomly for a keyword is a joke. Or I go to wikipedia and, hey, here's the two cases that EVERYONE will cite.

Copernic fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 26, 2011

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Went to court today. Two for three: (1) Not Guilty, (2) Charge Dismissed, (3) Guilty with only court costs.

:smug: Traffic court didn't know what hit it. Must be all of this lawyer knowledge I gleaned from last semester. I was lucky and the judge was nice.

That said, I saw two Real Lawyers (private, not court appointed) there representing some clients. One of them was obviously there frequently -- shooting the poo poo with the courtroom deputies, greeting the police officers, talking with the clerk, etc. How much does this type of representation cost, in all? $200? $500? It seems like a pretty straightforward procedure/issue set for these guys.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
Wikipedia and 24 oz. lo-carb monster got me a B+ on my antitrust final. Take of that what you will.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I use Wikipedia all the time as an entry point to a new legal issue. As a primary source, it is worse than worthless, but I do mine it intensively for the articles' citations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Green Crayons posted:

That said, I saw two Real Lawyers (private, not court appointed) there representing some clients. One of them was obviously there frequently -- shooting the poo poo with the courtroom deputies, greeting the police officers, talking with the clerk, etc. How much does this type of representation cost, in all? $200? $500? It seems like a pretty straightforward procedure/issue set for these guys.

Traffic tickets? round these parts its 50-75$

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Napoleon I posted:

24 oz. lo-carb monster

requesting name change. it's what they already call me in watch and w00t

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Roger_Mudd posted:

Traffic tickets? round these parts its 50-75$

Standing outside traffic court in a suit with a briefcase and a legal pad will lead to more money than doc review or unemployment.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

poofactory posted:

Standing outside traffic court in a suit with a briefcase and a legal pad will lead to more money than doc review or unemployment.

Hanging around immigration court after appearances will usually net me another client.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

Law textbooks are a gigantic loving game of hide-the-ball and are meant to be more difficult than they should be so they can justify this stupid loving tradition of worthlessness.
No kidding.
Law texts should be: "Look up these cases on westlaw, on and you can skip pp. X-Y."
If law textbooks actually explained something (like say, hornbooks), that would be different, but they're just case after case after case.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

My CivPro processor decided that all textbooks were terrible, so he "created" his own, which was a binder full if cases that he personally edited. It was the epitome of worthlessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Macunaima posted:

Hanging around immigration court after appearances will usually net me another client.

Aw the prestige of law. I can smell it on you.