Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That 640 is hot

The baffles should make a pretty big difference. Enjoy that thing, it's awesome.

Don't get arrested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

i just got my first k bike, and every time i push one of those turn buttons, or especially the turn cancel button, i think "why? why do this?"

My Sportster had turn signal controls like the BMWs, except that you had to hold them down for them to flash. It drove me crazy to have my right thumb occupied while having to manipulate the throttle in right-hand turns.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Clank posted:

You're living my dream.

Don't let the dream die! They are pretty rare where I am too, maybe 2 or 3 in a state of >5 million people. I'd been looking around for a while before I found my bike and I had to go over an hour out of town to get it. The PO originally had to travel interstate.

Spiffness posted:

That 640 is hot

The baffles should make a pretty big difference. Enjoy that thing, it's awesome.

Don't get arrested

Thanks! I sure hope the baffles tone it down a bit, the few times I have ridden it so far I've been worried I was going to get pulled over and ticketed.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

upsidedown posted:

Upgraded today from a 2005 KLR to a 2005 KTM 640 SM.

Having only ever ridden the KLR with a 21 inch front wheel, I can't believe how well this bike handles.

I'm really happy with the deal I got on this bike, it's in immaculate condition and has fairly low K's on it. It has an Akrapovic exhaust which sounds great but is annoyingly loud after a while. Gonna try it with the baffles in on the weekend.

Please send me your tank and seat, tia.

PS orange bikes rock

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Hurray for orange bikes!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Hooray for ora...oh. :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The orange color only lasts 500 hours.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

upsidedown posted:

Don't let the dream die! They are pretty rare where I am too, maybe 2 or 3 in a state of >5 million people. I'd been looking around for a while before I found my bike and I had to go over an hour out of town to get it. The PO originally had to travel interstate.
Don't worry I'm still actively looking, hoping one day there will be one for sale.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I had to travel 120 miles on highway to get my motard, and then I rode it the 120 miles back that night, on the highway. There were a couple DRZ-400SMs near me though.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

himajinga posted:

My Sportster had turn signal controls like the BMWs, except that you had to hold them down for them to flash. It drove me crazy to have my right thumb occupied while having to manipulate the throttle in right-hand turns.

What makes the BMWs so bad? How do they work?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AnimalChin posted:

They have separate switches for each signal on the corresponding side of the handlebar.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

They have separate switches for each signal on the corresponding side of the handlebar.

and the cancel button is on the right in an awkward place and you hit it with the side of your thumb and it's an angular piece of plastic that hurts to hit with your thumb.

Mr Clownfish
Jan 1, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I have a BMW and I love it. However, I have no idea why they do this. You can get used to it, but it is much more of a hassle than the conventional turn signals.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.

Spiffness posted:

Hurray for orange bikes!

Hurray!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

AnimalChin posted:

From memory, you have to move the thumb on each hand around under the switchgear to find the paddle for the indicator. Your right hand has no reason to be hanging around near the switchgear, so straight off it's dumb as poo poo.

To cancel, it's a huge PITA (and I don't mean a delicious hollow flatbread) as you have to avoid the left indicator and find the cancel. Depending on your gloves, this may require quite a bit of adjusting your left hand grip.

It's retarded to do it this way when Nippon denso have been using a completely and obviously superior setup for years.

Even BMW know this, as IIRC the K1300 uses a conventional indicator switch.

I guess it does sort of fit the bikes however. The 1200GS test bike I rode last year was also clumsy, oversized and completely unnecessary. But I suppose you could "get used to it". :airquote: I know people like them, and I'm happy for them, but I just can't understand why BMW take something that would otherwise be a perfectly adequate road bike (R1200R cough) and make it so tall, wide, heavy and awkward. And then charge a premium for it...

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Spiffness posted:

Hurray for orange bikes!

:krad:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ReelBigLizard posted:

:krad:

I want your tail light and mirrors. Give them to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Isn't that just an Edge taillight? I have one on my DRZ.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I think it's just the KTM 690 Euro Tail, maybe it is an Edge. I know the KTM EU tail is pretty similar. It's much cleaner.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Saga posted:

Even BMW know this, as IIRC the K1300 uses a conventional indicator switch.

The F800R uses a conventional switch, as well as the twin F650GS & F800GS (the last two I'm not totally sure on, but the R definitely uses it.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DiZ posted:

Hurray!

That's a slime green bike it just doesn't know it

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Spiffness posted:

I think it's just the KTM 690 Euro Tail, maybe it is an Edge. I know the KTM EU tail is pretty similar. It's much cleaner.

It's the stock euro one. After destroying my second indicator I decided to mount tiny LED indicators up under the overhang of the rear fairing, where they cant shake apart or get knocked off. I used some aluminium strip to re mount the plate tight up to the light.

Before:

Those aren't the stock indicators, they're generic 'small' indicators I put on after someone ripped off one of the stock ones while it was parked up in town.

It's a bit scruffy, I'm going to make a better replacement at some point. Most of my projects are on hold or stop-gapped until I sort out my new workshop. At which point expect to see some new and interesting project threads.

Edit:
The mirrors are from Motrax, a UK brand, they're pretty solid but they don't quite stick out far enough to get a good view past my arms. They're ok for what I paid, but it seems the price has gone way up since I got mine. I'm sure I can some up with something better myself when I have the time.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 15, 2011

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's a bit scruffy, I'm going to make a better replacement at some point. Most of my projects are on hold or stop-gapped until I sort out my new workshop. At which point expect to see some new and interesting project threads.

Really? From the photo it looks pretty good to me. Very tidy. In the tail area.

Mr Clownfish
Jan 1, 2010

Saga posted:

But I suppose you could "get used to it". :airquote:

I have a BMW and you get used to it quickly -- so much of that stuff is unconscious once you start doing it. I definitely would not say it is a better, though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Before:

Your tire wear indicates you need to back it in more.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Russian Bear posted:

Your tire wear indicates you need to back it in more.

That was an Avon PXR that I put on at the start of last winter, the KTM just ate it in a few months of short commutes. I put on a Distanzia this year and it has held up marvelously.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

My second bike 2001 Ducati Monster 600 Dark and the only picture of it. Still have the first one Kawasaki ER-5 2005, but the only picture that i have is in Google street view. :)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Captain Kosmos posted:

Still have the first one Kawasaki ER-5 2005

ER5 bro
:hfive:

Lord_Brand_X
Nov 3, 2009
Here's my 96 CBR900RR. I have since replaced the saddle.

It's my second bike. My first bike was an 87 CBR600, without plastics and showing her age. Funnily enough my GF has an 89 CBR600 as well so I don't feel too badly about filling up the garage with 2 additional hurricanes I occasionally rob parts off of. :)

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Your CBR looks good. Reminds me of my F2, which I fightered out due to lovely fairings.

Lord_Brand_X
Nov 3, 2009
That looks like a cleaner and less rusty version of both my girl's bike and my old "horror-cane." Except of course for the sweet headlamp mod, et al.

I prefer to describe them not as street fighters, but as rat bikes.

I guess the better way of saying it is, if I took one of the bikes and spent more it that it is worth it would look like yours.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Rat is definitely the term I used for it as well. And it looks cleaner in the picture than it was in reality (hint: those wheels aren't supposed to be black)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Captain Kosmos posted:

My second bike 2001 Ducati Monster 600 Dark and the only picture of it. Still have the first one Kawasaki ER-5 2005, but the only picture that i have is in Google street view. :)

How do you like the monster, impressions, complaints?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Spiffness posted:

Hurray for orange bikes!

As of last week, I can play this game:

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Russian Bear posted:

How do you like the monster, impressions, complaints?

Love it, there are some issues but mostly because previous owner. Exhaust is "cored" in reality the baffles(?) are just drilled full of holes, carbs are "tuned" by friend on his, so when shifting at wrong point the engine loses power. Engine leaks oil but i guess it supposed to because it's Ducati.
But yeah its fun to drive, i use it as daily driver and commuted ~200km(128miles) daily with it before moving closer to job.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I moved a few weeks ago; my bike hates the cold and altitude (~7000ft). :(

Scary Monster
Oct 29, 2000

Nerobro posted:

Scary Monster! Dude, I had an 82 XS400 SECA. We nicknamed it the gutless wonder. They had a habbit of seizing on their cam chain guides.... recovering the lost bit of guide required removing the entire top end assembly. I may have a picture of it somewhere. I'd prefer to forget it. It really is the worst motorcycle I've ever ridden. And KDC's LT2 has some bad feeling about it. And I've ridden my 80 without a tight enough axle.

You heard a honda RR fits, you now know someone who's installed two of them on GS's. And several GSX-R r/rs. I get them off ebay, for $20-30 shipped. I do the testing and thow them on.

Repo Man, I rewound my own stator. I still have materials to do two more if anything fails again.

BACK TO THE NORMALLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING...............

That's the last time it looked that pretty. Next gas fillup and the clearcoat on the tank got foggy. I was PISSED.

When I get the bikes sold I need to get sold this summer, this is my next project. It will be beautiful again. And it will be jetted properly. 33mpg is just not right for a 673cc bike.

I think I may have found a picture that contains the XS400. Just the tail can be seen.

I have no biker friends, just my much older brother who drove racebikes decades ago. He terrorized all his passengers especially me and even girls and he wiped out all the time. My first experience on a bike was as a 11 yo child and ended with him lifting his shirt and showing off the scratchmarks I put on his belly to our eldest brother and both of them laughing. A decade later I told him I wanted to ride and he said keep it under 600cc and under 4 cyls. Don't get a loan and don't spend $1000.
rear end in a top hat or not he's right and I repeat this advice to this very day.

So my first love was the 82 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special with a kickstart in superb condition. Scored her for $800 from a Quebecois junker at the local bike show.
my xs400 heritage parked at my work, 10000km later

Scary Monster
Oct 29, 2000
My roomate and I lived in a place with my precious XS out front.
front walk

There's no way to live with me without getting a taste. So it wasn't long before it looked like this:
Bikers live here.
I upgraded from XS to GS. She upgraded from a bus pass to a loving state-of-the-art Dakar rally bike that was technically street legal.

Scary Monster fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 22, 2011

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
After much chopping, grinding, fabricating, priming & painting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Rents posted:

Nice! Are you excited about the F3? I'm certainly getting one.
Sorry for the 3 week late response, but I am definitely think about getting the F3 but I am also thinking about getting an Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC SE. I probably won't make a decision until summer about a new bike.