Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Scarf posted:

For basses equipped with EMGs (at least for most of the pickup models), it really doesn't matter what tone wood is used in the basses construction because you're not going to hear any of the nuances of it.

This kind of applies to all pickups though. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
I've been lusting after this one for a while:
http://www.amazon.com/Source-Audio-Envelope-Filter-Effects/dp/B0042LD0SW

$119 is a steal for a pedal this versatile; I'd be surprised if you can't find a sound you like from it. Tons of great video demos on youtube, too.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Schatten posted:

Search the used section of GC's website for warlock. You'll see the prices i'm referring to.

Metal - or 80's coverband rock, that would be the limitations because of the style of the bass in appearance only. No idea how they sound, but my guess would be better wood, construction and electronics. No idea! Don't take my word for it!

From my limited experience with my own personal Warlock(early 80's NJ Series) it sounds like a P-Bass.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

EBMM's got a new system for all their instruments, the Game Changer - http://gamechanger.music-man.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDuAarSEPcA&feature=related

Apparently it gives you full control over every pickup combination. And by every, they mean every pickup, every coil, every string, phase, series/parallel, in any combination :aaa:

edit: maybe not per string, they don't explain their diagrams in the videos well, but if they're saying 8.5 million+ possible combinations I think it has to be

DrChu fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 26, 2011

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I don't even know what they're talking about. Are they talking about changing pickup selections? And then there was the guy who was talking about having a varitone on his guitar, so is there EQ that you can add and configure?

I'm curious as to what they thing about Nordstrand's (the pickup maker) opinion on designing the entire pickup for series or parallel use?

Nordstrand posted:

One set is designed to be wired in parallel, and the other is designed to be wired in series. The reason we do this is that a pickup that is made to sound good wired parallel will usually be too hot and dark sounding if wireed in series. So, we put less wire on series dual coils than parallel dual coils.

Do they just add resistance to the pickups when switching to series mode?

So many questions for that terribly uninformative video.

Edit: Let it also be known that this is the company that thought that burning their necks would be a good idea: http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/roasted.shtml

Rifter17 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 26, 2011

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Rifter17 posted:

Edit: Let it also be known that this is the company that thought that burning their necks would be a good idea: http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/roasted.shtml
Other manufacturers like Sadowsky offer roasted maple for necks so its not a bad idea.

I don't think the difference between series or parallel winding will make that great of a difference. Other companies like G&L have offered series/parallel switching forever and I don't see many complaints about the voicing not being optimum, they just sound different in each mode. The EQ doesn't play a part in the switching at all, I think the guy mentioned a varitone as an example of an old system that tried to add more choices.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

DrChu posted:

Other manufacturers like Sadowsky offer roasted maple for necks so its not a bad idea.

I don't think the difference between series or parallel winding will make that great of a difference. Other companies like G&L have offered series/parallel switching forever and I don't see many complaints about the voicing not being optimum, they just sound different in each mode. The EQ doesn't play a part in the switching at all, I think the guy mentioned a varitone as an example of an old system that tried to add more choices.

Wow, I had no idea that Sadowsky was doing the roasted neck thing. I never heard of that kind of stuff before and I still find it odd.

Well a varitone thing is all about using caps and such to hit different frequencies and such in a passive manner. So throwing that out there kind of just confused me. However, I think it would be neat if you could alter the EQ on the bass, change the center frequency, Q, or whatever for each knob. Then you just look up the specs on a different preamp and just program the guitar to use those presets.

Still, I have no idea how to feel about it. The video doesn't really give you much information on what it really does other than 8.5 million different choices.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The diagram on the site shows a USB port next to the jacks, so it has some sort of interface?
I guess when they show up in magazine reviews there will be more answers.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So tonight I spent about an hour working on floating thumb.

It was about the most boring hour ever.

But holy gently caress was it worth it. Floating thumb > anchoring on the pickups. poo poo yes.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What I interpreted about the EBMM Gamechanger is that you use computer software to design a pickup configuration, and use the USB port to "upload" it into the guitar and it supposedly changes the wiring to match.

It must be the future.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've been playing along with a jam track that's blues in B - no chord changes and very slow. I've been playing around with the various B's on a standard 4-string - hitting the octaves, flattened third/seventh/fifth - blue notes and minor pentatonic noodling really, and I enjoyed it alot - but in this case what else can I do? Is it the limitation of the song not changing which precludes more roaming around? Should I be extending it and using scales based around E and F too, even though they're not part of the chord progression? Is this even a question?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

I've been playing along with a jam track that's blues in B - no chord changes and very slow. I've been playing around with the various B's on a standard 4-string - hitting the octaves, flattened third/seventh/fifth - blue notes and minor pentatonic noodling really, and I enjoyed it alot - but in this case what else can I do? Is it the limitation of the song not changing which precludes more roaming around? Should I be extending it and using scales based around E and F too, even though they're not part of the chord progression? Is this even a question?

No chord changes, or no key changes?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

What I interpreted about the EBMM Gamechanger is that you use computer software to design a pickup configuration, and use the USB port to "upload" it into the guitar and it supposedly changes the wiring to match.

It must be the future.

Yeah, this page here looks like the software they use on the video - I don't know much about pickups, but each row represents a coil and the length and position of each bar represents... something? Maybe it's something to do with phase, and there's a ground symbol on the left...

Anyway yeah, I think there's 15 pickup wirings in the instrument by default and you use the toggle switch to go through them, and when you find one you like you do some stuff with a button and store it to one of the pickup selector positions - there's a pull switch so you can have 10 stored total. I guess you mess around on the computer and design wiring configurations, and upload some into the guitar - then you can toggle through them and store them if you like.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

EBMM's got a new system for all their instruments, the Game Changer - http://gamechanger.music-man.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDuAarSEPcA&feature=related

Apparently it gives you full control over every pickup combination. And by every, they mean every pickup, every coil, every string, phase, series/parallel, in any combination :aaa:

edit: maybe not per string, they don't explain their diagrams in the videos well, but if they're saying 8.5 million+ possible combinations I think it has to be

Yeah, pretty interesting idea, similar to what MarkBass has been doing with their new effects pedals. I'm all for tone-tweaking and knob turning, but good lord, even *I* think this is overkill. Nice to see a major manufacturer attempt something like this though. Maybe now all EBMM basses won't sound exactly alike to me anymore.

Walked posted:

So tonight I spent about an hour working on floating thumb.

It was about the most boring hour ever.

But holy gently caress was it worth it. Floating thumb > anchoring on the pickups. poo poo yes.

Yup. I was lucky in that floating always felt more natural to me than anchoring. It's definitely a skill that every bass player should at least be comfortable in doing.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Typical gimmicky EB/MM bullshit in my opinion. Reconfiguring the pickups a million ways still won't MOVE them, and until then every bass is going to sound the same.

At least it doesn't look like a toilet seat, I'll give them that.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
I'm perfectly fine with nothing but a tone and a volume on a pair of passive pickups. And even then I never adjust the tone knob. Seems like I can make plenty of different tones by just adjusting two pickup volumes and moving my hand up and down.

I've played basses with 3 band EQ and some other fancy things. I never really figured out how to use them though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Typical gimmicky EB/MM bullshit in my opinion. Reconfiguring the pickups a million ways still won't MOVE them, and until then every bass is going to sound the same.

That was my first reaction. But I'm trying to keep an open mind. Kind of hard though, I'll admit.

Junkbuzzard
Aug 12, 2009
I've got one of those planet lock straps, which fit the end pins but have the ends (it's some hard plastic housing for the lock, with a rubberized surface on the side against the guitar) pressing against the body. My worry is that with use, the finish will get worn down or rubbed off. Should I be getting a different strap? Or do I have no need to worry for the finish?

Also, is there any way I can keep lines from developing on the fretboard? The vintage modified Squier I've got has a nice looking ebonol fretboard that I'd like to keep a sharp looking black.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Junkbuzzard posted:

I've got one of those planet lock straps, which fit the end pins but have the ends (it's some hard plastic housing for the lock, with a rubberized surface on the side against the guitar) pressing against the body. My worry is that with use, the finish will get worn down or rubbed off. Should I be getting a different strap? Or do I have no need to worry for the finish?

I had one of the older versions (just plastic on the ends, no rubber) on my SG (Nitro finish, so probably more fragile than the Poly on your Squier) and it did end up kind of rubbing a circle around the button on the heel so I stopped using it. If you want to be safe maybe you could cut out a piece of felt or something between the strap and the bass.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

So you're saying Gibson should license the technology and bring back the Grabber?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Are there people out there that keep adjusting the tone dials on their basses? With every single bass that I've owned, I've played with it for ten minutes when I first got it, found the Good Setting, and then never changed it. Sure, occasionally I'd fiddle around with it a bit, and maybe try out a new settings, but invariably I'm back to the Good Setting after playing half a song.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

So you're saying Gibson should license the technology and bring back the Grabber?

The Grabber thing is loving genius and I have no loving idea why it isn't standard on single-pickup basses.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Geisladisk posted:

Are there people out there that keep adjusting the tone dials on their basses? With every single bass that I've owned, I've played with it for ten minutes when I first got it, found the Good Setting, and then never changed it. Sure, occasionally I'd fiddle around with it a bit, and maybe try out a new settings, but invariably I'm back to the Good Setting after playing half a song.

I usually play with the tone knob completely rolled off because that's the sound I personally like the best, but certain songs call for more treble bite so I adjust it.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Gibson did reissue the Grabber recently, with a ridiculous MSRP for what was once their budget instrument - http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Limited-Run-Grabber-II-Bass?sku=527771#used

Geisladisk posted:

The Grabber thing is loving genius and I have no loving idea why it isn't standard on single-pickup basses.
Probably because the sounds only range from "slightly darker P Bass" to "slightly brighter P Bass" and requires a huge pickguard to cover the cavity.

If the pickup had more range of movement that would help, but its a pretty limited system. Luckily they used a decent sounding pickup in the originals (which I have), I'm not sure what's in the new ones.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
The Gamechanger system looks pretty sweet. But I hate the body design :pseudo:

EB/MM comes up with some of the ugliest bass's I've ever seen, worst being the bongo.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Demon Seed posted:

The Gamechanger system looks pretty sweet. But I hate the body design :pseudo:

EB/MM comes up with some of the ugliest bass's I've ever seen, worst being the bongo.

I dunno man, the Big Al and the 25th are pretty horrendous as well.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I would pick the 25th over the Big Al or bongo any day. It's like they weren't even trying with the Big Al. The bongo however is touted as THE most distinctive body style ever. Sure it sounds good, but ughhh. Who wants to play something that looks like a toilet seat.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Are there people out there that keep adjusting the tone dials on their basses?

I recently had to replace the pots in my Ibanez CT1, and usually have the tone control either fully on, or fully off, so I should have just replaced it with a switch.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Demon Seed posted:

I would pick the 25th over the Big Al or bongo any day. It's like they weren't even trying with the Big Al. The bongo however is touted as THE most distinctive body style ever. Sure it sounds good, but ughhh. Who wants to play something that looks like a toilet seat.

I have a bongo. I used to get mad just looking at one, and then I played one out of spite, and I bought one. You get used to the looks.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

There's a slight chance I might have to get a new bass head. My LittleMark II has some weird issue right now and the "clip" light is on regardless of whether anything is plugged in or not. Any signal that plays through is uselessly distorted.

I know the Genz Benz Shuttles have a good rep, but they might be beyond my budget. Has anyone had experience with these?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gallien-Krueger-MB500-500W-Ultra-Light-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=423659

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Demon Seed posted:

They weren't even trying w/ the 25th either seeing as how it's an exact copy of the Axis guitar. And I wouldn't even say the bongo sounds good. The H model sounds pretty much just like every other EBMM and the HH/HS just sound sterile to me.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Hopefully this doesn't come across as all e/n.

I have a Little Mark II that's about 3 years old now.

Last night, the amp's clip light just came on without a bass being plugged in. My gain knob was all the way down at 0 as was the master volume.

When I did try playing through it, the signal was too distorted and unpleasant to be usable, even at a really low volume (i.e. "4 o'clock"). I tried plugging it into other outlets and even tested it at home and the light is always on even when there's no bass plugged in.

Do you guys have any ideas what could be the problem here? Is this a common occurrence?

It's too old to be under warranty now and the authorized dealer where I live charges $125 just to get an estimate. It goes towards labor if you move forward, but I might be in a situation where I maybe should just get a new head.

What do you guys think?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

While we're talking amps..

Where do I go from an Acoustic B200 combo? I'm going to jamming with some bigger groups and hopefully getting into a venue or two sometime this year.

How many watts, what brands, and what sort of cab should I be looking at? Budget conscious of course (within reason).

I like the Ampeg tones I've heard; but the B200 doesnt have bad sounds either.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walked posted:

While we're talking amps..

Where do I go from an Acoustic B200 combo? I'm going to jamming with some bigger groups and hopefully getting into a venue or two sometime this year.

How many watts, what brands, and what sort of cab should I be looking at? Budget conscious of course (within reason).

I like the Ampeg tones I've heard; but the B200 doesnt have bad sounds either.

A decent rule of thumb is to shoot for 300-350watt if you plan on playing live. When I'm playing with a single cab, I prefer my 410, but that's usually only at practice when I don't need a lot of volume.

But keep in mind... If you find an amp-head that says its 300-350watts, typically, at the price range you'll most likely be looking at, that'll be at 4ohms. And most budget-to-mid range cabinets will be at 8ohms, meaning that you'll be getting roughly half the wattage out of the amp.

If you like the Ampeg tone, but don't have the cash to drop on an Ampeg head, pick up a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal. It does a flat out amazing job of producing Ampeg tube-warmth.

What is your budget though, by the way?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Scarf posted:

A decent rule of thumb is to shoot for 300-350watt if you plan on playing live. When I'm playing with a single cab, I prefer my 410, but that's usually only at practice when I don't need a lot of volume.

But keep in mind... If you find an amp-head that says its 300-350watts, typically, at the price range you'll most likely be looking at, that'll be at 4ohms. And most budget-to-mid range cabinets will be at 8ohms, meaning that you'll be getting roughly half the wattage out of the amp.

If you like the Ampeg tone, but don't have the cash to drop on an Ampeg head, pick up a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal. It does a flat out amazing job of producing Ampeg tube-warmth.

What is your budget though, by the way?

Thanks; thats immensely helpful.

Budget is a mystery to me - I'll save accordingly. I'd rather get what I need than get something lovely under $X.

Let's say $600 - 900 if I can stay in that range; but its not a fixed price point.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walked posted:

Thanks; thats immensely helpful.

Budget is a mystery to me - I'll save accordingly. I'd rather get what I need than get something lovely under $X.

Let's say $600 - 900 if I can stay in that range; but its not a fixed price point.

Well, definitely don't be afraid to buy used. Just make sure you're able to try the equipment out and put it through its paces before dropping the cash.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
How are Squier Bronco Basses? I love love love Mustang basses, but I'm mainly a guitarist and can't really justify buying a real Mustang any time soon. So are the Bronco's worth getting if I just want a bass to mess around with or should I just save up for a Mustang?

PhilintheBlank
Apr 17, 2007
i encourage my 5th and 6th grade beginners to get these. The local music store carries these along with a pretty good practice amp and gig bag for a good price. now, i don't think I would ever let them play them with the high school jazz band, but they are good for starting. They only have one pickup so they sound kind of hollow.

That being said, unless you have very small, weak hands, go ahead and get a good P Bass or J Bass. It's worth the $200 extra.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

PhilintheBlank posted:

i encourage my 5th and 6th grade beginners to get these. The local music store carries these along with a pretty good practice amp and gig bag for a good price. now, i don't think I would ever let them play them with the high school jazz band, but they are good for starting. They only have one pickup so they sound kind of hollow.

That being said, unless you have very small, weak hands, go ahead and get a good P Bass or J Bass. It's worth the $200 extra.

It's not really a question of hand size or strength, though my hands aren't that big, it's just that, from what I've tried, I prefer short scale basses, and I love the mustang body shape.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Short-scales definitely have a certain vibe about them that can't be replicated on a 34" scale instrument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sterling by Music Man Ray35 picture as requested.

Music Man Ray35 by Francis Setash, on Flickr

Jesus christ this thing plays like a dream.