Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Sorry 4.5 kg is right and I am dumb

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
The domain I want is parked under DreamHost. Is there a way to buy this out? It's a .com. Would it be easier just to buy the .net domain, (which is available) or should I go for the .com?

Is .com better than .net?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tostito posted:

The domain I want is parked under DreamHost. Is there a way to buy this out? It's a .com. Would it be easier just to buy the .net domain, (which is available) or should I go for the .com?

You need to find out who owns the domain and shoot them an email saying you want to buy it.
Go to http://www.who.is , type in the domain and get the email address. If they are willing to sell they will probably start you off at some ridiculous amount ($1k+)

Tostito posted:

Is .com better than .net?

Yes, but depends on how much you want to spend. The .net will cost you $10

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Why is .com better than .net?

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

Tostito posted:

It is the 'default'. Look at your web browsing history, most will be .coms. If you say I have "somedomain.net", people need to remember that it was .net instead of the usual .com. It isn't a huge problem by any means, but it does make .com the preferred generic top level domain.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I have an academic requirement to post to the school's "blog site" using WordPress, and I don't understand WordPress to save my life. The school's "get started" info sends you to WordPress.org to create a username, then links you over to the admin page for the name you just created. Now, all I can do is manage this profile. I can't post anything to the school's blog site. Hell, I can't even find anything at all that says "post" or suggests any ability to do so. The only thing I can find on here is instructions to install WordPress and a file full of PHP poo poo, which is well over my head.

I know the school doesn't expect me to purchase and run a website and install WordPress to it; there's a school blog that our posts are expected to go into. So what am I missing?

Note: I don't know if this helps, but I looked through the PHP files and I noticed the WordPress.org login url is the same as one of the filenames in the /wp-admin/ folder. I noticed a post.php file in there, so I typed that at the end of the address bar and I get an "insufficient permissions" error.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 26, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tostito posted:

Certain domains have certain perceptions with them. .com is for "real businesses", .net is "oh, you couldn't get .com, huh?". .org is usually associated with non-profits, while .tv is associated (and marketed) as being an online video TLD.

Always, always, always get the .com if you can afford it, especially if you're considering resale.

Once you've heard enough old people and clueless moms say "yourbusiness.net.com", you'll understand.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tostito posted:

.com is for commerce, which you should have if you're selling something and you want to get the word out.

.net is for network, which is fine if you're not trying to sell anything or have a small customer base.

You can buy as many extensions as money allows if you have a brand name to protect.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Is there a good guide/resource for starting a bonfire? My friends and I want to have a bonfire on the beach and we're not really sure what supplies we need/how much everything would cost/how to start the actual fire/etc.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Is there a good guide/resource for starting a bonfire? My friends and I want to have a bonfire on the beach and we're not really sure what supplies we need/how much everything would cost/how to start the actual fire/etc.

This is such a weird post for me to read since bonfire have been a big part of my life as far back as I can remember.

Anyway, gather a shitload of decent sized logs, and cut them down to two foot long sections. Get another shitload of smaller branches/limbs and cut them down to 8"-10" lengths. Get a quarter gallon of diesel fuel.

Dig a pit on the beach about 8"-12" deep, and fill it with the smaller wood. Take the larger logs and build a TeePee over the smaller wood until its covered sufficiently. Don't use all of it, as you'll need to reserve some to keep the fire going.

Take the diesel fuel and try to cover the smaller wood with it as much as possible. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Find a branch that's about 5' long with a lot of dead foliage. Set it on fire and push it into the smaller wood in the center of the TeePee.

It should ignite with a whoosh.

This is the way me and my friends have always done this and we've never had any accidents or close calls.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Tostito posted:

also, people are stupid. If you make a radio ad for netnetnet.net they will go to netnetnet.com. To the average person "website" = ".com".

Actually I think gambling sites used to take advantage of that. They would advertise "Free poker lessons at fulltiltpoker.net!", since advertising for gambling is illegal, but the actual gambling site would be at .com and a lot of people would go there anyway.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Wooden pallets. Make sure that fires are legal first.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Since there's a bit of fire talk, I've always wondered. What are the legalities of having a hobo barrel/drum fire going, along the lines of stuff you see in 80's movies when a city has gone to poo poo? If I've got a metal drum, and I've got wood to burn, could I just keep one going for ambiance in my front yard(no HOA to worry about)? What about on a street corner?

What if I was homeless? Could I just start a fire in my metal drum on a street corner while swapping drifter stories? Would I be arrested for trying to stay warm, in a contained safe manner?

This is all assuming I wouldn't be burning garbage/debris as I know that typically requires a permit, and I own the barrel/drum so there is no issue of property damage.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

revolther posted:

Since there's a bit of fire talk, I've always wondered. What are the legalities of having a hobo barrel/drum fire going, along the lines of stuff you see in 80's movies when a city has gone to poo poo? If I've got a metal drum, and I've got wood to burn, could I just keep one going for ambiance in my front yard(no HOA to worry about)? What about on a street corner?

What if I was homeless? Could I just start a fire in my metal drum on a street corner while swapping drifter stories? Would I be arrested for trying to stay warm, in a contained safe manner?

This is all assuming I wouldn't be burning garbage/debris as I know that typically requires a permit, and I own the barrel/drum so there is no issue of property damage.

The most sheltered post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

revolther
May 27, 2008

John Q Russia posted:

The most sheltered post.
You never think, "Ya right, if you did that you would totally be arrested", when watching a movie? Is there a barrel fire on every corner of your metropolis? There sure as poo poo isn't in mine, but the "They Live" aliens/OCP haven't taken over yet either.

Here's another stupid late night pondering.

I like the idea of the sticky notes application/desktop gadgets for Windows 7, but the inability to place them slightly askew like real sticky notes bothers me.

This raises a dumb question, is there something inherently difficult about coding rotatable windows the way Windows handles the GUI? Is it just such a bizarre feature request that nobody has ever bothered? I'd love to be able to hold right click on the title bar of an active window and spin/change the orientation, it screams office job time-killer.

With the shift towards tablets looming, or using Microsoft's Surface as an example, it doesn't seem unreasonable that eventually we'll have scenarios with multiple people standing around and interacting with a large Surface GUI.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

revolther posted:

You never think, "Ya right, if you did that you would totally be arrested", when watching a movie? Is there a barrel fire on every corner of your metropolis? There sure as poo poo isn't in mine, but the "They Live" aliens/OCP haven't taken over yet either.

Haha, no I don't actually. Assuming that you're American I can guarantee the following: real people are warming themselves by makeshift fireplaces a few miles from you right now. It's not some movie trope. I hate to break it to you but the police stop worrying about the legal ownership of a loving used oil drum at a certain point. It's not the same as the Maplewood PD questioning your dad about his leaf burning permit. You loving piece of poo poo please blow your terrible head off once you have the answer to your question about high-end electronics.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Why be such a dick about it? loving relax, it's not that big a deal. No matter how obvious anything might seem to you, not everyone has had the same experiences to have kept them informed about the same general information as the majority. So whoop-dee-loving-doo that you have and he hasn't on this topic. Hell, he made me think and I honestly don't recall every having seen a trashcan fire in real life. Been to a couple of bonfires, and while I imagine police don't care that much about them and let kids have their fun, they are technically illegal.

Are you just ultrasensitive because you've had a lot of exposure to people who use trashcan fires or something? You call him sheltered and then yell at him, so you've obviously got some reason you're ticked off. Ever occur to you he might be from someplace far from a city? Not every square mile of America has someone sitting by a fire.

e:VV I do understand where you're coming from. I don't think he meant any offense, and he's not necessarily sheltered. Yes, there are many people everywhere who are in need, but in some places more than others. Rural areas don't usually have large populations of the homeless, and it is very possible to live a long life and have no direct exposure to them.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 26, 2011

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

Well I'm not trying to be a dick about it. It just rubbed me the wrong way when someone rolled up to suggest a corner fire is solely a symbol of some dystopian future nightmare. There are hundreds of thousands of your fellow Americans RIGHT NOW living without a steady home on the streets. No matter who you are some of these people are very near to you. I'll stop complaining because it's not that sort of thread but I just can't imagine someone so ignorant, who would start thinking of local ordinances when it comes to the very dark and grim issues of homelessness.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

John Q Russia posted:

Well I'm not trying to be a dick about it. It just rubbed me the wrong way when someone rolled up to suggest a corner fire is solely a symbol of some dystopian future nightmare. There are hundreds of thousands of your fellow Americans RIGHT NOW living without a steady home on the streets. No matter who you are some of these people are very near to you. I'll stop complaining because it's not that sort of thread but I just can't imagine someone so ignorant, who would start thinking of local ordinances when it comes to the very dark and grim issues of homelessness.

It's actually not particularly common though for the homeless to be using a stereotypical oil drum with the top off and filled with trash to burn.

I mean, for one thing, where are they gonna get stereotypical oil drums?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WHEEZY MISS A DUDE posted:

This is such a weird post for me to read since bonfire have been a big part of my life as far back as I can remember.

Anyway, gather a shitload of decent sized logs, and cut them down to two foot long sections. Get another shitload of smaller branches/limbs and cut them down to 8"-10" lengths. Get a quarter gallon of diesel fuel.

Dig a pit on the beach about 8"-12" deep, and fill it with the smaller wood. Take the larger logs and build a TeePee over the smaller wood until its covered sufficiently. Don't use all of it, as you'll need to reserve some to keep the fire going.

Take the diesel fuel and try to cover the smaller wood with it as much as possible. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Find a branch that's about 5' long with a lot of dead foliage. Set it on fire and push it into the smaller wood in the center of the TeePee.

It should ignite with a whoosh.

This is the way me and my friends have always done this and we've never had any accidents or close calls.

Great, thank you!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Q Russia posted:

Well I'm not trying to be a dick about it. It just rubbed me the wrong way when someone rolled up to suggest a corner fire is solely a symbol of some dystopian future nightmare.

It's ironic because an oil drum on a corner is the last thing you would expect in a dystopian future nightmare of either outright fascist police state or societal anarchy. The last thing you want is to illustrate your position of a illicit barrel owner to the gang/officer.

revolther
May 27, 2008

John Q Russia posted:

You're a loving amazingly large and assuming rear end in a top hat, you were explicitly trying to be a dick about it.

You have no hobo-street cred with me, I've been WELL below the poverty line my entire life, with a family of five living in a garage at times, homeless at others, and still struggling to keep my head above water to this day. The reason I asked was because it would be nice to know if I would have to worry about being thrown in jail rather than freezing to death if the situation came to it, because (in my eyes) America does mistreat the homeless and a law enforcing such would be (again, in my eyes) tantamount to systematic murder.

I live in a metro area, and the homeless here will huddle together, blanket up, even make-shift themselves little overnight domiciles, but I've never seen any comfortable enough to stand on a street corner warming themselves.

I was assuming they'd get shut down because of a lack of extinguisher to properly contain it if it were to somehow spread, and that is more trouble than most homeless want to attract.

But please, regale me with your knowledge of hobo-centric laws while I appreciate the fact that I'm not a starving 3rd world orphan you prick.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

revolther posted:

You have no hobo-street cred with me, I've been WELL below the poverty line my entire life, with a family of five living in a garage at times, homeless at others, and still struggling to keep my head above water to this day. The reason I asked was because it would be nice to know if I would have to worry about being thrown in jail rather than freezing to death if the situation came to it, because (in my eyes) America does mistreat the homeless and a law enforcing such would be (again, in my eyes) tantamount to systematic murder.

You sound quite young and I sincerely doubt you have ever been in true privation where you had to care for yourself. If freezing to death and jail are your options you really have to have a sperging streak the size of Texas to side with death. More likely, in a dystopian future the police would beat you because they didn't like the looks of you, oil drum or not, and they would just leave you there instead of arresting you because gently caress paperwork and the jail's full.

quote:

I was assuming they'd get shut down because of a lack of extinguisher to properly contain it if it were to somehow spread, and that is more trouble than most homeless want to attract.

Ahahaha, ok seriously do you have an adult you can talk to about this? The police may or may not care about your hypothetical barrel, but I guarantee you will have so many other issues a drat barrel will be the last thing on your mind for survival.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 26, 2011

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

John Q Russia posted:

You loving piece of poo poo please blow your terrible head off once you have the answer to your question about high-end electronics.

John Q Russia posted:

Well I'm not trying to be a dick about it.

These quotes seem at odds with each other.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I'm really not going to bother going tit for tat about my personal experiences with illegal campsite living.

baquerd posted:

Ahahaha, ok seriously do you have an adult you can talk to about this?
You're saying that isn't a technicality that could be used to harass someone trying to stay warm? Or that given the choice of "warm by a fire with a risk of being hassled" or "be cold with just a blanket knowing you won't be hassled", some wouldn't choose the latter? I'm not talking dystopian futures, or freezing to death, of course you build a loving fire.

I asked about the legalities of it here and now, outside of campsites when do you see people huddled around fires? Considering that for thousands of years we all crowded around them to swap stories and form communal bonds, why the gently caress not? Perhaps there is a law prohibiting it? What kind of legal basis could there be prohibit something so primal to man's existence if property damage is taken out of the equation?

Fuckin' christ, I give a few qualifiers for a question because I know goons to be overly pedantic and all of a sudden I'm an ivory tower elitist.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

revolther posted:

I asked about the legalities of it here and now, outside of campsites when do you see people huddled around fires? Considering that for thousands of years we all crowded around them to swap stories and form communal bonds, why the gently caress not? Perhaps there is a law prohibiting it? What kind of legal basis could there be prohibit something so primal to man's existence if property damage is taken out of the equation?

Yes there are almost certainly going to be several applicable ordinances in the city municipal/fire code related to safety reasons. Your personal opinion about where it is safe is irrelevant.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I'm on a first-name basis with about a dozen people who's primary occupation is doing whatever they have to do to get some crack. On my way home from work tonight, I noticed that the first of about six entryways I pass that usually have homeless people camped out in them was unoccupied. I have, in my life, encountered at least a hundred sites that showed clear evidence of being used as a campsite for homeless people. I have encountered these sites in industrial areas, business/shopping areas, suburban areas, and everywhere in between.

I have not only never seen a burning oil drum fire in the city, but I have never seen an oil drum that looked like it had been used as a burning oil drum fire or was going to be used as a burning oil drum fire.

Maybe my city just doesn't have that many unattended oil drums, though. Or maybe my city's homeless would rather spend their time on other activities besides wrangling 55-gallon drums around town.

revolther posted:

What kind of legal basis could there be prohibit something so primal to man's existence if property damage is taken out of the equation?

There are a lot of things that are "primal to man's existence" that are illegal to do on the streets. In fact, pretty much everything that could be described that way is illegal to do in public, besides eating and talking.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

revolther posted:

Perhaps there is a law prohibiting it? What kind of legal basis could there be prohibit something so primal to man's existence if property damage is taken out of the equation?
You can't gently caress in public either, and loving is pretty important to existence.

revolther
May 27, 2008
You can build a fire at off-highway recreational areas though, so perhaps it's legal to gently caress at highway rest stops? :v:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
What's a good, free way to record Skype conversations (both voice and video) ?
There seem to be a few options, but I was wondering if any folks have any experiences with any particular programs/methods. Thanks.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

betterinsodapop posted:

There seem to be a few options, but I was wondering if any folks have any experiences with any particular programs/methods. Thanks.

If you live in America I can guarantee you that only miles away from you are people who have to really try to scrape up change to use a payphone and you're worried about archiving probably vapid conversations not about trotsky on your high-end computer phone thing. It's not the same as the employees of the Maplewood sprint store trying to talk your dad trying into a new 2 year contract and free android phone.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 26, 2011

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Where I live, it's legal to have an open fire, provided it's a certain distance (50 feet?) from any structure and it's clear above it.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Clearly none of you have been to Baltimore. There are open fires under every bridge in the city, Surrounded by hobo's, crack heads, transients etc. Now if that doesn't make it Charm City I don't know what does!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Screw all you self righteous Yuppie pricks and hobos, I am a oil drum. I am sick of people thinking it is OK to stick stuff in me and light it on fire, regardless of need.

What if I stuck something in you and lit it on fire? Where is your humanity?

How would you feel if you were (like me, the oil drum) the foundation of the modern energy system and yet all stupid people could think when they see you is bums and dystopia?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

betterinsodapop posted:

http://camstudio.org/

Although Wagonburners response is much more apropos to page 91. That was some amazing spergin John Q!

By the way: Open fire laws vary wildly even from city to city to county. 30 feet behind my house open pit bonfires are allowed but 15 feet only contained fires for cooking with extinguishers ready and 100% supervision are allowed.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

John Q Russia posted:

You loving piece of poo poo please blow your terrible head off once you have the answer to your question about high-end electronics.

I thought this whole argument was pretty funny but this guy getting so offended about it makes it hilarious.

My question: Are GPS units pretty good about not guiding you down the wrong way of a one-way road? I got one for Christmas that I haven't used much, and I'm heading to an unfamiliar part of downtown that's like 80% one-ways. Obviously there's signs and stuff but lazily heeding the GPS would be ideal too.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Knightmare posted:

I thought this whole argument was pretty funny but this guy getting so offended about it makes it hilarious.

My question: Are GPS units pretty good about not guiding you down the wrong way of a one-way road? I got one for Christmas that I haven't used much, and I'm heading to an unfamiliar part of downtown that's like 80% one-ways. Obviously there's signs and stuff but lazily heeding the GPS would be ideal too.

They are pretty accurate for established roads that haven't changed in a long time. Your biggest issue in tight areas like that will be proximity errors, as in you will think it is telling you to turn at the road you are at instead of the one a few yards ahead.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

http://camstudio.org/
Thank you.

Now, if you don't mind, I must prepare myself for some vapid conversations about Trotsky, my favorite Animal Collective songs, how much I loathe the poor, etc.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
What is the font used on The Jesus Lizard's Album 'Goat'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

John Q Russia posted:

You asked if Jackie O. gave her recently assassinated husband a handjob. That question is infinitely stupider than his.