Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Fledgling Gulps posted:

It's kinda funny that Lucas didn't fix some of the real flubs in the OT with the special editions. Like the ellipses with 4 periods in the opening crawl, or Ford's infamous 'parsec' line. I realize correcting grammar isn't as exciting as blocking the frame with bad CGI, but you're monkeying around with them anyway so why not?

No, four dots works. It's an ellipsis followed by a period. Fault Lucas for a lot of poo poo, but "...." at the end of a sentence that has no sentence following it is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Casimir Radon posted:

The blurs under the land speeders were fixed, Jorge goes on and on about on Behind the Magic. Also gently caress changing the English words on the tractor beam generator in New Hope to Aurebesh.

Yeah, I think I knew about the Aurebesh change. It wasn't needed, but it doesn't really detract from the film at least. But it boggles my mind that he changed that when there were some goofs and bad effects that could have been changed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Fledgling Gulps posted:

It's kinda funny that Lucas didn't fix some of the real flubs in the OT with the special editions. Like the ellipses with 4 periods in the opening crawl, or Ford's infamous 'parsec' line. I realize correcting grammar isn't as exciting as blocking the frame with bad CGI, but you're monkeying around with them anyway so why not?

Pray tell, what is wrong with the parsec line? :colbert:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pray tell, what is wrong with the parsec line? :colbert:

A parsec is a measure of distance, roughly equivalent to 3.3 light years. But because it has "sec" in it, it sounds like a unit of time.

Though I remember reading that initially it was meant as a bluff on Han's part that Obi-Wan doesn't fall for. Still, Lucas' bad direction and the :spergin: community had to resolve it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

mojo1701a posted:

A parsec is a measure of distance, roughly equivalent to 3.3 light years. But because it has "sec" in it, it sounds like a unit of time.

Though I remember reading that initially it was meant as a bluff on Han's part that Obi-Wan doesn't fall for. Still, Lucas' bad direction and the :spergin: community had to resolve it.

Don't make me go all :spergin: in this thread and explain that flying past the MAW is more impressive based on how short a distance you took, which took you closer to black holes.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don't make me go all :spergin: in this thread and explain that flying past the MAW is more impressive based on how short a distance you took, which took you closer to black holes.

Hahaha I was going to say, in the Jedi Academy trilogy don't they mention something about how the kessel run pretty much had to be flown a certain way and Han was all "Cuttin corners :smug: "

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Funny you guys brought up the Star Wars CCG. Back in middle school I got into it right around the time Dagobah was released. I collected and tried playing a couple of times but was never very good. I mainly played with the neighbor hood kids who were at least 6 years younger than me so there was a maturity factor going on there. Drunkenly one night around 6 months ago a friend and I somehow talked about them and we both dug out our old cards and started playing. He played in a couple local tournaments when he was younger while I just stared at the pretty pictures of the cards...yeah I got slaughtered the first couple games.

It didn't help that my collection consisted of about 600 cards spread out between Premiere to Dagobah with almost no mains outside of a Commander Luke Skywalker and a couple of named Star Destroyers...he had 5,000 cards his friend gave him that go all the way up to the Special Edition set (which is majorly overpowered compared to the earlier sets in my opinion) and several reflections. None of the Episode I stuff thankfully.

I've slowly added cards to my collection up to the Special Edition set and I'm starting to finally win matches against him, without using cheese-ball strategies like those loving insert cards from Dagobah. Anybody remember those?

Anyways my point is that it's an incredibly rewarding game once you figure things out. It took me a handful of games to get the phases of a turn figured out, how to avoid beat downs, proper use of effects & interrupts, and so on and so forth. My favorite sets so far are probably Hoth and Cloud City. A Hoth-Clouds deck with Walkers is a fun one to play. A bought a booster box of Jabba's Palace recently and will probably make a nice Aliens deck out of those. My friend has been abusing a Jabba's Palace - Tatooine drain deck for the last several games.

Anybody else still play the CCG with their friends for nostalgia sakes?

fake edit: He actually has a butt load of Death Star II cards which make his LS space decks really loving annoying against my DS space decks limited to cards up to Cloud City.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Hahaha I was going to say, in the Jedi Academy trilogy don't they mention something about how the kessel run pretty much had to be flown a certain way and Han was all "Cuttin corners :smug: "

Its not so much that it has to be flonw a "certain way", it's just that if your ship is fast enough you can skim closer to the black holes and thus shave both time and distance off your trip.

:spergin:

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

mojo1701a posted:

No, four dots works. It's an ellipsis followed by a period. Fault Lucas for a lot of poo poo, but "...." at the end of a sentence that has no sentence following it is fine.

Stupid English. Horrid language really.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Stupid English. Horrid language really.

Don't discriminate, all languages are horrible in their own special ways.

And the parsecs line shouldn't be changed, it's no "Greedo shot first" but it's a pretty famous line in the movie and it'd get a lot of poo poo for changing it.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

People actually thought more than 2 seconds about that line? When I heard "I made the Kessel Run in 12 Parsecs", I thought to myself "I have no idea what that means, but he's saying it like it it's a good thing, so it must be a good thing" and left it at that. Who cares. People like you lot are the reason why we got midichlorians.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Anti-Hero posted:

I played a couple games against my friend about 5 years ago-ish, but thats it. I collected all the way up into Death Star 2, but then my local card shop closed down and my source of plentiful and cheap cards (as well as the tournaments) ceased to exist.

Later I looked at a bunch of the later expansions cards and it seemed like a big(ger) clusterfuck. So many cards that seemed to only work on other cards with an Episode 1 logo, Defensive Shields (still havent figured it out), cards with upkeep costs, stuff like that. Was it really as crazy as it seemed, or was it simply because I wasnt eased into all the new stuff like I was for all the other expansions?

My favorite thing that I missed out on was how they took some of the old interrupts and combined them into one card, making them once again viable.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

thrawn527 posted:

I think the problem with the Star Wars CCG is that it continued to get more and more complicated as time went on. The premiere set wasn't too bad. Being at certain locations to attack certain characters was weird, but nothing too confusing once you got used to it. They added events (I don't remember what they were actually called. Epic Events maybe?) like using the Death Star to blow things up, or blowing up the Death Star, and it got slightly more complicated, but still manageable. Then Jedi Tests (or whatever) with the Dagobah set made it even more complicated. By the time I quit playing, I hadn't done that great at keeping up with buy new sets, and playing against people who had kept up with them confused the hell out of me. "'Death Star II's movements are immune to revolution?' What the gently caress does that mean?" (Please don't explain revolution to me, I'm just using it as an example.)

I mean, just look at the long description of rules for this card. They couldn't even fit a picture on there!

The reverse side of that card was just a picture of Han in carbonite. It was a card that could never be in a deck, so it didn't need to have a standard back. It actually looked really cool.

And the card just does what it says; they didn't need to add any weird rules to make it work. It's nothing like Jedi Tests, which had infinite weird rules attached to them and were unplayable until Special Edition came out.

"Immune to Revolution" meant the card "Revolution" could not be played on it. The rules associated with the Death Star II sectors were absurd, though. All the cards said was something like "Death Star II Interior rules in effect here." Spelling out what that meant involved multiple paragraphs in a rules document somewhere.

The game was actually horrendous when the Premiere set was all there was, if you tried to play it competitively. And it got worse: When Dagobah came out, the best deck involved playing a deck with nothing but random droids and background aliens (no main characters) and cards that you shuffled into your opponent's deck, and then when they drew them they lost most of their cards. Those decks usually didn't battle or force drain ever and won absurdly quickly.

Gutcruncher posted:

Later I looked at a bunch of the later expansions cards and it seemed like a big(ger) clusterfuck. So many cards that seemed to only work on other cards with an Episode 1 logo, Defensive Shields (still havent figured it out), cards with upkeep costs, stuff like that. Was it really as crazy as it seemed, or was it simply because I wasnt eased into all the new stuff like I was for all the other expansions?

It was pretty goddamned crazy at the end. Defensive Shields were so you could play 10 cards for free in your deck that did nothing but counter cheesy strategies. All of the cards with upkeep costs were absolutely absurd.

Suenteus Po fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 26, 2011

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande
People always said that SWCCG had a great system, so after losing the Star Wars license, Decipher made a game that was just called "Wars" that used (mostly) the same rules system, in an original setting.

It... it didn't go very well.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Huitzil posted:

People always said that SWCCG had a great system, so after losing the Star Wars license, Decipher made a game that was just called "Wars" that used (mostly) the same rules system, in an original setting.

That loving pissed me off. I seriously only found out about it after they quit making it. If I knew about it beforehand I sure as hell wouldve found somewhere to buy em and forced some friends to play it with.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Huitzil posted:

Doesn't, or didn't, the Star Trek game use the same system?

As much as I hate on the game, it was still a million times better than WotC's game.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

As much as I hate on the game, it was still a million times better than WotC's game.

The Star Trek CCG used an entirely different system. And then the next Star Trek CCG Decipher made used another different (and radically simplified, but still more complicated (and worse) than MtG) system.

Anyone else play Young Jedi? A group around here organized tournaments for it every week just to get tournament foils (which sold on eBay for handsome fees). You could run a sanctioned tournament in about two hours, so it was pretty lucrative.

I still have some of my tournament foils. They're worthless now. I should've sold that 34th Rule of Acquisition foil back when it was worth ~$200 :smith:

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Star Trek used a completely different game system, and one that was a lot worse. The first edition of the game, which ran for a really long time, was hampered by a really dumb design decision early on: nothing had a cost, you just got to play one card per turn. So there were a bunch of ways to play cards for free (not counting against the limit), but nothing really cost more than anything else that wasn't free. So there were a lot of cards that let you play specific other cards for free, and let you "download" those cards into play directly from your deck, and those cards were the only way decks functioned. The second edition solved that by actually giving things costs, but didn't run as long.

And yes, WOTC's version was terrible. Card games shouldn't have much die rolling, they sure as hell shouldn't revolve entirely around die-rolling.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gutcruncher: There's a few guys on ebay selling WARS boxes for $35 for each type of box and all the starter decks. I'll probably pick 'em up at some point to play with friends for cheap. :)

quote:

Yeah man, my bro, friends, and I still play from time to time. Gotta say that even after all these years and having to look up rules from time to time, I still enjoy it more than magic. I just play that because it's easy to find people to play with.

Huitzil posted:

A lot of people hated the 4x only mechanic that Magic relies on and the original SWCCG never had to have (because try as you might, having 50 vaders in your deck made it poo poo, but 50 lightning bolts in magic...). Also, it did come out during the huge surge of CCGs for anything and everything, so it wasn't a great time.

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

Fox of Stone posted:

Gutcruncher: There's a few guys on ebay selling WARS boxes for $35 for each type of box and all the starter decks. I'll probably pick 'em up at some point to play with friends for cheap. :)

Yeah man, my bro, friends, and I still play from time to time. Gotta say that even after all these years and having to look up rules from time to time, I still enjoy it more than magic. I just play that because it's easy to find people to play with.

A lot of people hated the 4x only mechanic that Magic relies on and the original SWCCG never had to have (because try as you might, having 50 vaders in your deck made it poo poo, but 50 lightning bolts in magic...). Also, it did come out during the huge surge of CCGs for anything and everything, so it wasn't a great time.

What, WARS? WARS wasn't doing the huge CCG surge, but the original SWCCG was. A couple years after Magic came out, loving everyone and everything wanted to jump on the bandwagon. Maybe WARS coincided with a smaller surge from Yu-Gi-Oh's success or something, but there's no way it topped the original CCG feeding frenzy.

I never had a lot of WARS or heard about it at serious, competitive levels of play, but my local playgroup all hated how unbalanced it was. I think, at best, it had the problem that a lot of CCGs do, where they think good cards have to be rare, and so the cards that make decks function are all rare, and casual players who don't have large collections are playing a totally different game.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I had a lot of Star Wars CCG cards because they looked cool, but the best Star Wars things to come out of the 90s were these:

http://www.rebelscum.com/mmaction.asp

Star Wars Action Fleet. Best Star Wars toys ever. They had like all the ships from the good movies, plus little guys you could have pilot them, plus cool freakin bases. I had the Death Star. While pretty much all these ships were also made in the big size for regular figures, those were expensive and took up a lot of space, whereas you could have a whole fleet of these things and have epic space battles. Oh, the memories. :allears:

And for the record, Rebel Pilots > Jedi. Back in the 90's Rogue Squadron was all the rage, now it's all nerds with lightsabers on youtube. Give me another flight sim, Lucasarts.

Because of Star Wars, I wanted to be a pilot. Because you need at least 70 hours of flight time at $200 an hour, I didn't become a pilot. :smith:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Gammatron 64 posted:

And for the record, Rebel Pilots > Jedi. Back in the 90's Rogue Squadron was all the rage, now it's all nerds with lightsabers on youtube. Give me another flight sim, Lucasarts.
gently caress yes. Jedi can go jump off a cliff; pilots are where the real awesome is at. I dream of the day when we get another good flight sim. My ideal one would be an Ace Combat-esque arcadey sim with both a solid Rebel campaign and a solid Imperial campaign, each one spanning from the early days of the war up until the war officially ended in like 18 ABY, plus solid multiplayer, including scaled-difficulty co-op.

For that matter, I'd be happy with the X-wing series being remade in a modern engine with modern graphics, since I never got a chance to play them back when the graphics were considered good.

But it'll never happen, because there aren't enough of people like us to make Lucas massive gobs of cash from flight sims, so we just keep getting mindless magic-and-glowbat games. :(

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Flagrant Abuse posted:

But it'll never happen, because there aren't enough of people like us to make Lucas massive gobs of cash from flight sims, so we just keep getting mindless magic-and-glowbat games. :(

That's not even true, though. The Rogue Squadron games (and it's buddies, Battle for Naboo and Starfighter) were basically a license to print money until they decided to jam in lovely lightsaber combat and lovely ground missions.

Sure Rebel Strike didn't sell great, but I wonder if that's because flying missions, the only reason people bought the games, were a third of the levels?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

gently caress yes. Jedi can go jump off a cliff; pilots are where the real awesome is at. I dream of the day when we get another good flight sim. My ideal one would be an Ace Combat-esque arcadey sim with both a solid Rebel campaign and a solid Imperial campaign, each one spanning from the early days of the war up until the war officially ended in like 18 ABY, plus solid multiplayer, including scaled-difficulty co-op.

For that matter, I'd be happy with the X-wing series being remade in a modern engine with modern graphics, since I never got a chance to play them back when the graphics were considered good.

That's my dream Star Wars game, right there.

Rogue Squadron, Shadows of the Empire, and TIE Fighter kick the poo poo out of TFU and even KOTOR and they don't have a single lightsaber in them. Alas, these games don't work on my computer. :( If anybody knows how to get them to run on an XP machine with a modern card, please tell me.

You know, it's really weird that I loved Mass Effect but I could never get into KOTOR...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You really should try to. KOTOR is classic Star Wars in so many ways. Did you get past Taris? That's the snag for a lot of people.

Its sequel is one of the best written pieces of the EU even with its missing content.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Gammatron 64 posted:

That's my dream Star Wars game, right there.

Rogue Squadron, Shadows of the Empire, and TIE Fighter kick the poo poo out of TFU and even KOTOR and they don't have a single lightsaber in them. Alas, these games don't work on my computer. :( If anybody knows how to get them to run on an XP machine with a modern card, please tell me.

You know, it's really weird that I loved Mass Effect but I could never get into KOTOR...

I think GOG has working copies that run under XP. DOSBOX magic and all that.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

RagnarokAngel posted:

You really should try to. KOTOR is classic Star Wars in so many ways. Did you get past Taris? That's the snag for a lot of people.

Its sequel is one of the best written pieces of the EU even with its missing content.

Yeah, once you get past Taris the game is a lot better. That segment drug on way too long and was fairly pointless in the grand scheme other than setting the stage for your morality.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Alas, these games don't work on my computer. :( If anybody knows how to get them to run on an XP machine with a modern card, please tell me.
Buy good old parts that would have been loving expensive back in the day, cram into new case, play old games. That's what I just did anyway.

LLJKSiLk posted:

I think GOG has working copies that run under XP. DOSBOX magic and all that.
GOG doesn't have any Lucasarts stuff, it's a miracle any of it was released on Steam.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 26, 2011

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Powered Descent posted:

(And which isn't exactly a "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO," more of a "YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH")

Yeah, I think you've got it right. However, just in case it wasn't clear, Fox of Stone knows how many O's are in that word thanks to this card:

Which does show the screaming scene, not the falling scene. (That game was fun mainly because of how ridiculous they went with some of the cards.)

Suenteus Po posted:

The reverse side of that card was just a picture of Han in carbonite. It was a card that could never be in a deck, so it didn't need to have a standard back. It actually looked really cool.

And the card just does what it says; they didn't need to add any weird rules to make it work. It's nothing like Jedi Tests, which had infinite weird rules attached to them and were unplayable until Special Edition came out.

"Immune to Revolution" meant the card "Revolution" could not be played on it. The rules associated with the Death Star II sectors were absurd, though. All the cards said was something like "Death Star II Interior rules in effect here." Spelling out what that meant involved multiple paragraphs in a rules document somewhere.

Yeah, I agree that the Jedi Tests cards were the most annoying cards, but it didn't quite get the point across like that picture of Jabba's Prize. That picture definitely wins for absurdity.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 26, 2011

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Taris is the first planet, right? The city planet? Yeah, never got passed it...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I think you've got it right. However, just in case it wasn't clear, Fox of Stone knows how many O's are in that word thanks to this card:

Which does show the screaming scene, not the falling scene. (That game was fun mainly because of how ridiculous they went with some of the cards.)

Oh yeah, I guess I wasn't clear on that since most people would think "down the shaft" would mean "as he was falling." But yes, the card game had all sorts of fun puns and other weirdness like having one alien eye icon for the cyclops card or 4 eyes for Muftak the Talz. I still maintain that this is the best card ever printed aside from force choke goodness.

quote:

My ideal one would be an Ace Combat-esque arcadey sim with both a solid Rebel campaign and a solid Imperial campaign, each one spanning from the early days of the war up until the war officially ended in like 18 ABY, plus solid multiplayer, including scaled-difficulty co-op.

YES. There should be multiple ways to defeat the "boss" of these levels as well, like letting a SD tractor beam your ship and shooting proton torps at it or the other weird ways the rogues managed to pull off those one in a million chance battles.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fox of Stone posted:

Holy poo poo, I had completely forgotten about this card. I was going to go search for a more ridiculous one, but then I read the rules for this one and realized I would never find one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thrawn527 posted:

Holy poo poo, I had completely forgotten about this card. I was going to go search for a more ridiculous one, but then I read the rules for this one and realized I would never find one.

The best part is that it interacts with Greedo and the hunchback very well, since if you drew it as a battle destiny they HAD to forfeit at least 3.1415926535.... points worth to attrition so those two cards were the only ones that had half a forfeit value. Why I still know this after all these years I don't know but that's how awesome the game was.

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

thrawn527 posted:

It's kind of silly to use Brainiac as a representative of how complicated the game was; Brainiac was a joke card (that happened to be good sometimes) and the whole joke was how complicated it was. It's like using a card from Unglued / Unhinged as an example of how complex Magic is.

"Bluff Rules" weren't from a gag card, and that's my go-to example. They had to set aside a section of the rulebook to explain the special rules for one specific location. It wasn't a card that was made, and later turned out to interact with things in a really complicated way; it was designed from the beginning that the card would say "Refer to the Bluff Rules in the rulebook". And it was from the first expansion. They just kept adding more and more specialized rules with every set afterwards and it was totally ridiculous, but you could still at least say those special rules were for emulating stuff in the movies or the universe -- "Blown away" locations, undercover spies, trench rules, collapsed sites, Hoth's shield generator and the marker sites, Jedi Tests, asteroid rules, Dagobah's restrictions, carbon freezing, sabacc, etc. -- but there's no excuse for Bluff Rules.

Another fun fact: The decision to make the Special Edition set a "stand-alone" one the size of the base set was done rather late in the design process, so a whole bunch of cards were added with little or no playtesting at the very end of the development cycle. Including all of the Operatives. The 1998 World Championships were right after the set's release, before the playerbase had a chance to shake the set out and figure out strategies (and more importantly the designers could recognize if there was something they needed to errata), but they still made it legal for the tournament. It also did not go well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Taris is the first planet, right? The city planet? Yeah, never got passed it...

Get past Taris so you can become a Jedi and actually start the storyline man, it is seriously worth it.

And do Dark Side to gently caress those annoying fish people over. gently caress you Manaan.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
Is the original Darth Vader from the Star Wars CCG that came out like 16-17 years ago worth anything? I have an entire box of starter packs filled with random cards and one of them is the Darth Vader. I'm not even sure which company made the particular CCG, I bought the box to collect and save, never played the game.

Also, thanks to whoever bought me this kick rear end avatar. I will dedicate my next Wedge Fic to you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Huitzil posted:

It's kind of silly to use Brainiac as a representative of how complicated the game was; Brainiac was a joke card (that happened to be good sometimes) and the whole joke was how complicated it was. It's like using a card from Unglued / Unhinged as an example of how complex Magic is.

Oh, I don't think it was being used to represent how complicated the game was. At that point, we were talking about how fun some of the cards are because of how ridiculous they are. Hence Fox of Stone talking about puns and other weirdness. Trust me, there was nothing but love for Braniac.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mr.Graves posted:

Is the original Darth Vader from the Star Wars CCG that came out like 16-17 years ago worth anything? I have an entire box of starter packs filled with random cards and one of them is the Darth Vader. I'm not even sure which company made the particular CCG, I bought the box to collect and save, never played the game.

Also, thanks to whoever bought me this kick rear end avatar. I will dedicate my next Wedge Fic to you.

Wedge seriously is the best. I have to rebuy the rogue squadron books loving as soon as possible!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Huitzil posted:

"Bluff Rules" weren't from a gag card, and that's my go-to example. They had to set aside a section of the rulebook to explain the special rules for one specific location. It wasn't a card that was made, and later turned out to interact with things in a really complicated way; it was designed from the beginning that the card would say "Refer to the Bluff Rules in the rulebook". And it was from the first expansion. They just kept adding more and more specialized rules with every set afterwards and it was totally ridiculous, but you could still at least say those special rules were for emulating stuff in the movies or the universe -- "Blown away" locations, undercover spies, trench rules, collapsed sites, Hoth's shield generator and the marker sites, Jedi Tests, asteroid rules, Dagobah's restrictions, carbon freezing, sabacc, etc. -- but there's no excuse for Bluff Rules.
Yeah, it did get a little complicated sometimes, but it was all worth it when a sandstorm made a few characters missing until a bunch of bounty hunters come over to find them, arrest them, and feed them to the sarlaac pit.

Bluff rules were amazing, though. It was like playing poker on top of SWCCG. If you had a sabaac game going at the same time it was a trifecta.

quote:

1998 World Champs
Huh, didn't know that. I only started playing competitively around 1999-2000 until the end.

edit:

quote:

Sorry, don't think so. Lord Vader came out in the death star 2 expansion and it had a destiny 6 and interacted with things better. Pretty much everyone played with Lord Vader, Palpatine, and LS, Jedi Knight.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Now I'm interested in the Rogue Squadron books as well. Outside of the Thrawn trilogy, I think I've heard they're probably the best books in the EU, right? Are the nine books in the series somewhat standalone? Are they all fun?