Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Harmonica posted:

MI doesn't seem that obtuse after you've played Discworld.

I don't recall if reading the books helps any either. Never got far in disc world due to crashing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Fag Boy Jim posted:

MI's lack of deaths just means that failing is less funny :saddowns:

That old witch caught Graham toadally off guard.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pay attention. Look to see what is simular. Take notes. One you get into the mind set it's fairly easy to figure the puzzles out. Think about myst as a real world where everything is planned out and consistent. it was written that way by Atrus. He left the clues for you. It makes all the difference in my mind.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Hussar posted:

The correct way to play Myst is to not. 20 years is enough, everybody just forget about the N'ri

The Myst series is fun as hell if you keep a little journal full of notes and musings about the puzzles. If you can't really immerse yourself in the worlds, they're pretty lovely games.

You play them for a while, take a break once you get stuck, and then while your mind drifts during a walk you get a brainstorm and rush back to solve the puzzle.

You really need to approach them from a certain angle, or the Myst games are glorified slideshows. And that's hard to do with the earlier games, especially Myst, as they're just so dated at this point.

It was great experiencing the games as they came out, but it's certainly true that they've lost their appeal with age.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

So this might seem like a pretty silly question, but I downloaded IL-2 Sturmovik through the Gog Downloader, and the download finished and it's just sitting there. In my download folder I have something called "il_2_sturmovik_1946_part0.gogDownload", as well as "setup_il-2_sturmovik_1946-1.bin" and similar -2.bin and -3.bin files. Is there something I need to do? I'm worried that something might mess up if I do a restart and the files haven't finished, but they look okay to me. What am I missing to install the game?

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
I don't know if it's an option but it would easier and quicker to simply choose to download it via browser rather than the GoG downloader. The downloader is somewhat temperamental and leaks memory like nobody's business. Most people have problems with it at some point.

I remember the downloader auto-installing, don't know if that's still the case.

Try exploring Program Files\Gog.com\ or wherever you chose to download to. There might be a setup.exe for the game lurking around.

If the files are CD-sized, then you could try creating a .cue for each of them and mounting it. The worst that'll happen is it says they're not CD files.

create a text file, inside put
code:
FILE "setup_il-2_sturmovik_1946-1.bin" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
save and rename it to setup_il-2_sturmovik_1946-1.bin

It's probably likely that they're not mountable files.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 23, 2011

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Here's an md5 for the IL-2 install files from GOG. This should help you pinpoint which files are bogus, and which ones you're flat out missing.

0D20DA1B5401C0FCD93F09E87E216ED3 *aircraft_guide.zip
6F765D91689F0F868AF9552015CFEFB1 *setup_il-2_sturmovik_1946-1.bin
8CFE6991D50B83A28D5287A9DBF010DA *setup_il-2_sturmovik_1946-2.bin
F6F86966BC45FFF10B9EBDFF81DA2D67 *setup_il-2_sturmovik_1946-3.bin
4F36E114BC7E1A63FC1C345F5060C6F8 *manual.zip
E89B047B4C941D62F3BA260A462A32C6 *reference_card.zip
B671C7190C7DB78C712837EC41C63600 *setup_il-2_sturmovik_1946.exe

Also, I've never had a problem with the GOG downloader. Looking at your post, you're just not done downloading it yet.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 23, 2011

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

The Myst series is fun as hell if you keep a little journal full of notes and musings about the puzzles. If you can't really immerse yourself in the worlds, they're pretty lovely games.

You play them for a while, take a break once you get stuck, and then while your mind drifts during a walk you get a brainstorm and rush back to solve the puzzle.

You really need to approach them from a certain angle, or the Myst games are glorified slideshows. And that's hard to do with the earlier games, especially Myst, as they're just so dated at this point.

It was great experiencing the games as they came out, but it's certainly true that they've lost their appeal with age.

Truth. I just got really tired of the Myst world when I had to play all the games back to back. They can be quite enjoyable if you get in the right mindset and don't get frustrated about the puzzles (loving music puzzle's :argh: ). At Gog's price there's no good reason not to own the series.

Except Uru. gently caress Uru.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

New announcement this morning:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/dark_reign_expansion

I've never played this, from the screenshots it looks a bit like a hybrid of Total Annhilation and Command & Conquer.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jet Jaguar posted:

New announcement this morning:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/dark_reign_expansion

I've never played this, from the screenshots it looks a bit like a hybrid of Total Annhilation and Command & Conquer.

I remember the demo - my recollection was that it an alright game but in the grand scheme of things it was an alright C&C clone in the midst of the massive rush of C&C clones that came out in the year or two after C&C.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

I remember Dark Reign from GameTap, it's definitely alright, but more of a $5.99 alright. It's certainly pretty and you can turn into a tree, so there is that.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Holy poo poo, Dark Reign! It's a really great RTS, it puts a lot of emphasis on using terrain strategically and the unit orders can be pretty detailed (like TA yeah)

Also a sweet built-in level editor.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Furret Basket posted:

Holy poo poo, Dark Reign! It's a really great RTS, it puts a lot of emphasis on using terrain strategically and the unit orders can be pretty detailed (like TA yeah)

Also a sweet built-in level editor.

Yeah Dark Reign is pretty cool but it suffers from being hard as gently caress in singleplayer.

I wonder if they got the multiplayer issues worked out. It uses IPX, which is impossible to get working in Windows 7 even with Hamachi.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Vertigus posted:

Yeah Dark Reign is pretty cool but it suffers from being hard as gently caress in singleplayer.

No kidding, I remember there was one level in the campaign where the AI started out with a ton of units and rather than keeping them around to defend its stuff it would usually just rush your tiny base and slaughter you in the first 5 minutes. It had some really cool units and stuff though, and was a lot of fun in skirmish mode.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Dark Reign 1 had a LOT of good features that I'm sad weren't picked up, like the unit orders/AI. You could set them to patrol or scout randomly, set variables like aggressiveness (whether to run away, run through, whether or not to fire first that sort of thing)

Pity the sequel was just an okay 3D RTS that was barely related to the first game

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Hey guys, thanks for your help with my IL-2 download problems. It took a while buy I was able to get it running thanks to Harmonica's suggestion. I appreciate it!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nanpa posted:

Dark Reign 1 had a LOT of good features that I'm sad weren't picked up, like the unit orders/AI. You could set them to patrol or scout randomly, set variables like aggressiveness (whether to run away, run through, whether or not to fire first that sort of thing)

That would be an interesting twist on RTS games: you build units on the fly by dictating their behaviors, then send them on their autonomous selves by the dozen, like wind-up toys. Observe, alter, and send out again.

Still, at $9.99, it's hard to see how this could compare with the $5.99 Total Annihilation.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Dark Reign was pretty advanced for it's time. The resource model, uncontaminated ground water, had some interesting mechanics that haven't been revisited in newer games. Basically you have to extract water out from certain parts in the ground and shuttle it up into space, but it takes a while to fill up a shuttle with water and get your money. You had the option of sending up the rocket early if it was not entirely full, but I believe you were penalized somehow (less credits per unit of water or something like that.)

I thought it was an interesting mechanic that lead to some tough decision-making dilemmas when it came to whether you were in a hurry to get a few more units out for defense, or if you think you can weather enough assaults to fill up the shuttle.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I've played both, although I've only ever finished TA. Dark Reign compared to Total Annihilation:

+ better-realized plot and setting
+ AI shows signs of competence (singleplayer is not a complete cakewalk even on the hardest difficulty)
+ cool singleplayer structure where each mission lets you play the same conflict as both sides
+ sides and units are more distinct than in TA

- graphics are worse
- UI is worse
- AI shows signs of competence (even on the easiest difficulty it has no qualms about curbstomping you with its starting units)
- no modding capability

Basically, DR has more character, but TA is more fun and has aged better.

I picked it up for $5 years ago and while I don't really regret it, I've played it a lot less than TA (which was $10 and, I feel, a much better deal).

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Dark Reign was the best RTS ever until Total Annihilation came out a month later and it became something of a footnote. If that hadn't happened it would be much better remembered, because it's a pretty great game that does everything you expect of an RTS, and some things that are wholly original. That doesn't tell the whole story but it's sort of all you need to know.

It's pretty hard to recommend it at that price, unless you're an RTS completist and you've not played it, or you have fond memories of it from September 1997.

If you have friends you can play it with I would recommend it, since there is a lot of opportunity for pulling really bastardish tactics using particular unique units.

The Shockwave Tank, for example, was always my favourite. Manufacture a massive battalion of them in secret, send them rumbling towards your enemy via some obscure route, and then unleash a massive tidal wave of destruction which destroys buildings and ground units. The downside is that if you fail to destroy key buildings, you've probably spent all your money and your base will be an easy target for revenge. Still, nothing puts the shits into your friends as the announcement 'seismic wave detected.'

Also, there are scout units that can turn themselves into trees. Yes, trees. If you've ever studied Shakespeare then I'm sure you can think of a possible resulting tactic. Just remember to hotkey them, or you may end up forgetting where you put them.

AndItsAllGone posted:

Hey guys, thanks for your help with my IL-2 download problems. It took a while buy I was able to get it running thanks to Harmonica's suggestion. I appreciate it!

:raise: Cool, which part of my suggestion actually worked?

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 26, 2011

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise! The Last Express has just pulled up to the station for $5.99.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Everyone who has ever enjoyed a single adventure game, or agatha christie novel, or art nouveau advertising poster, should buy this immediately. I am so not even joking.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

Everyone who has ever enjoyed a single adventure game, or agatha christie novel, or art nouveau advertising poster, should buy this immediately. I am so not even joking.

How's the game look in motion? The screenshots look interesting enough.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

MrMidnight posted:

It's actually aged really well. Get it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

...Motion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aj3SIXUqlo

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

MrMidnight posted:

It's by the guy who did the original Prince of Persia. Bad animation is something you definitely don't have to worry about.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

gently caress yes! I was waiting for this to come out on GOG. Bought the poo poo out of it.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

The Kins posted:

Surprise! The Last Express has just pulled up to the station for $5.99.

This game is so fantastic: great story, full of details and the fact that you can rewind time if you screw up is an excellent idea.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Coulis posted:

This game is so fantastic: great story, full of details and the fact that you can rewind time if you screw up is an excellent idea.
It pains me to wonder what the adventure game genre might have been today if such an innovative game like The Last Express was a financial success like it should have been.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Heh, about half an hour after buying The Last Express I got a phone call from a computer in my bank asking me to mash buttons to confirm my DOB and recent transactions.

The weird thing is that I've got about 80 games from GOG and the bank has never flagged any of that as suspicious. :toot:

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

kuddles posted:

It pains me to wonder what the adventure game genre might have been today if such an innovative game like The Last Express was a financial success like it should have been.

I've never been a fan of point and click, interactive fiction, or pre-rendered environment adventure games, so this may be bias, but I think the format of adventure games such as The Last Express is what caused the genre's decline.

You need to be comfortable with slow and thoughtful to enjoy it, and most people who play video games aren't.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well the thing about the Last Express is it's not an adventure game in the traditional "pick up everything that's not nailed down, wander around trying everything on everything else until the plot moves forward" sense.

It's a lot more like a computerized version of one of those dinner theatre murder mysteries. The plot just happens all around you whether or not you're paying attention, and it's your job to try to figure it out before it's over.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well the thing about the Last Express is it's not an adventure game in the traditional "pick up everything that's not nailed down, wander around trying everything on everything else until the plot moves forward" sense.

It's a lot more like a computerized version of one of those dinner theatre murder mysteries. The plot just happens all around you whether or not you're paying attention, and it's your job to try to figure it out before it's over.

That does sound like a fantastic premise, but you'd have to give the main character a gun and a key for iron sights before the mainstream would pick it up, unfortunately.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
How's the replay value? That description almost makes it seem like the plot changes from playthrough to playthrough.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

Last Express has the best "trying to get past someone in a narrow train" animation I have ever seen.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ymgve posted:

How's the replay value? That description almost makes it seem like the plot changes from playthrough to playthrough.

From what I understand, the overall plot stays the same (so the characters don't suddenly have different personalities on subsequent playthroughs or anything), but it's designed to be elastic based on the player's actions. So the player can just kind of sit back and watch stuff happen, or they can take an active role in the story and the game will shift to match the changes.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

ymgve posted:

In a sense, you will replay it a lot just by playing through it!

But no, there's a primary, unchanging plot to advance through, and then a million optional conversations to creepily listen in on, and diaries to read, and things like that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Doc Hawkins posted:

In a sense, you will replay it a lot just by playing through it!

But no, there's a primary, unchanging plot to advance through, and then a million optional conversations to creepily listen in on, and diaries to read, and things like that.

It's starting to sound like Zelda: Mask of Majora, where you can allow folks to roll through their lives or intervene, and when they leave their homes, you can sometimes sneak in and see their stuff to learn a few background details.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

The Cheshire Cat posted:

From what I understand, the overall plot stays the same (so the characters don't suddenly have different personalities on subsequent playthroughs or anything), but it's designed to be elastic based on the player's actions. So the player can just kind of sit back and watch stuff happen, or they can take an active role in the story and the game will shift to match the changes.
Yup, the entire thing moves in real time, so if you're in one cabin at a given time, you're automatically missing any actions or conversations going on elsewhere. It was really quite clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Centipeed posted:

I've never been a fan of point and click, interactive fiction, or pre-rendered environment adventure games, so this may be bias, but I think the format of adventure games such as The Last Express is what caused the genre's decline.

You need to be comfortable with slow and thoughtful to enjoy it, and most people who play video games aren't.

You have it the wrong way around - there's nothing wrong with The Last Express, it's that the market shifted towards big budget action orientated games towards the end of the 90s and a lot of people spent money on those games.

The playerbase for slow and thoughtful games hasn't fallen away, it's just overshadowed, and a lot of developers don't even think about making those games because they are shallow and only interested in following the money. Truth.