Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN
I've been waiting a while for some dwarf minifigs I ordered off of Bricklink. I was hesitant to spend ~$5 a figure at first, but I love anything LEGO does that is castle-themed and I am a nerd for their fantasy themed stuff in particular - seeing the dwarf mine and troll fortress a friend had bought for his son renewed my interest in LEGO all over again.

So finally I broke down and ordered a few of these guys.
They happened to come in the mail today, just after I had picked up a couple of the impulse Ninjago sets.

And it just so happens that apparently dwarves and ninjas are mortal enemies.

These dwarves had just emerged from their cave to go hunt in the forest, one brought his tracking beast Dinoceros Rex.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Unfortunately some Ninja Scouts were ready to seize an opportunity to steal some dwarven gold.

However, despite the ninja's superior speed and reflexes, one grossly underestimated the charging speed of a full grown cave dino.

(I apologize for the blurry phone pics. Just wanted to share some childlike joy with you guys.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh
I bought one of those "Brick Apple" sets at the NYC Lego Store last week and it's adorable. The core is built separately and has little seeds and everything. :3: I'm surprised they don't sell it on the site, maybe it's a NYC store exclusive? Makes sense, I guess it would seem a little out of place in a Minnesota shop or whatever.

Does anyone have an extra Samurai Warrior from S3 to trade? It's the only one we don't have and we have duplicates of baseball players, tennis players (out the rear end), fishermen, pilots, elves, space villain, and race car driver. One of my friends spent way too long looking for a samurai warrior for us today at Target and he doesn't even like Lego, but to no avail. Thanks!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ugh. My Fred Meyer's having 50% off home clearance, and they had the Neptune Cruiser there for $47.97. It was 50% off lowest marked price, which meant they were $23.99 apiece, or 60% off MSRP.

So what did my dumb rear end do? I bought the five they had left. :sigh:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
It's okay, I would have bought at least one too even though I have two already. Clearance stuff is hard to ignore.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
also they're awesome

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Lord Gold posted:

Just wanted to share some childlike joy with you guys.

You managed exactly that. I'm in the middle of redecorating and re-flooring several rooms in my house, so my Lego box is buried behind a set of drawers, a toolbox, a Hoover and a bookcase. Ever since I started the proceedings, all I wanted to do was to dick around with Lego rather than wallpapering/painting/waiting for the flooring guy to arrive, so seeing someone having such fun has made my day. Come Saturday, I'm seriously spending at least half a day just building poo poo.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

also they're awesome

Seriously. Three-in-one vehicle? Yes please.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
The LEGO Store at the Bridgewater mall in NJ has lots of minifigs. I was there yesterday and walked away with Blacktron guy, Gorilla, Fisherman, White Kanye, and the Snowboarder. I feel bad using the bumps, but I now have the ones I want without also having $21 of tennis players.

madhatter2341
Jan 24, 2011
If you want to get your Lego fix from a whole different reality, I highly recommend Minecraft.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383735

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Some more progress on this thing:

I haven't settled on a name yet, but I can tell its going to be interesting to photograph since it has a lot of criss-crossed, intertwined parts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow I have both of those old blue/gray Maresk trucks. When I was a kid I found them at some corner store that didn't even really sell toys or lego and bought them. The 3x5 gray pieces were new and unique to me, as well as the odd shade of blue. I was huge into lego in the late 80's and knew every set and line yet these trucks seemed so strange and un-lego, something just didn't seem right about them.

It's too bad I don't have the box or instructions anymore, but I'm sure I've got all the parts. Are they actually rare/valuable?

And here's some more lego questions.

When I was a kid I'd love making huge cities using a scale where 1 brick = 3 stories. I'd make huge spaceships and such thing way too, but it wasn't so good for detail. I'd love to pull out my lego and make some cool cities again but with more detail. Does anyone have any good links or scale suggestions for sub-minifig scale building?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Baronjutter posted:

It's too bad I don't have the box or instructions anymore, but I'm sure I've got all the parts. Are they actually rare/valuable?
Considering that just the hats alone go for a couple hundred dollars each, I'd say yes. I'd sell those now before the new train comes out and the parts become more common.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

InfinEight posted:

I haven't settled on a name yet, but I can tell its going to be interesting to photograph since it has a lot of criss-crossed, intertwined parts.

The Procrastinator...

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

The Procrastinator...

Hey now, its only been a week :reject:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

madhatter2341 posted:

If you want to get your Lego fix from a whole different reality, I highly recommend Minecraft.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383735

Don't forget Blockland!

Baronjutter posted:

When I was a kid I'd love making huge cities using a scale where 1 brick = 3 stories. I'd make huge spaceships and such thing way too, but it wasn't so good for detail. I'd love to pull out my lego and make some cool cities again but with more detail. Does anyone have any good links or scale suggestions for sub-minifig scale building?

The architecture theme would be good for reference.

Flavor Bear fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 26, 2011

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Wow I have both of those old blue/gray Maresk trucks. When I was a kid I found them at some corner store that didn't even really sell toys or lego and bought them. The 3x5 gray pieces were new and unique to me, as well as the odd shade of blue. I was huge into lego in the late 80's and knew every set and line yet these trucks seemed so strange and un-lego, something just didn't seem right about them.

And here's some more lego questions.

Yes, they are rare. Here's the pages for them on Bricklink so you can see what people are paying.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=1552-1

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=1651-2

If you ever want to sell them, keep me in mind!*

As for micro scale, I don't know a lot about it personally, but here's some flickr groups for it. Maybe you can find inspiration there.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/microspace/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/microscale/

*Seriously.

InfinEight posted:

Some more progress on this thing:

Looks awesome so far! Love those green A frames in there.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Brickset's reports from London Toy Fair tell of (no pics though) some pretty cool poo poo.
A new City theme, full of boats!
A Creator Lighthouse!

And some other stuff I didn't really care about.
Scoot on over and read the thing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
A lighthouse? That's terrible news.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Lord Commissar posted:

A lighthouse? That's terrible news.

gently caress you buddy I want that lighthouse.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Flavor Bear posted:

gently caress you buddy I want that lighthouse.

I know!

That's why it's terrible news!

Now I have to buy it.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Lord Commissar posted:

I know!

That's why it's terrible news!

Now I have to buy it.

Oh. Then I'm sorry I said f--- y--.
I too am worried about how much 2011 stuff I want.
The new Kingdoms stuff, the new Alien sets, s4 minifigs.
I think at this point I actually do factor LEGO into my budget

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Flavor Bear posted:

Oh. Then I'm sorry I said f--- y--.

He probably deserves it :haw: I'm interested in that Lighthouse too, the description makes it sound like it'll be pretty cool. Plus Alien Conquest still sounds amazing, that's the one I really can't wait for, it makes me wanna save up so I can buy everything as soon as it comes out.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

InfinEight posted:

He probably deserves it :haw: I'm interested in that Lighthouse too, the description makes it sound like it'll be pretty cool. Plus Alien Conquest still sounds amazing, that's the one I really can't wait for, it makes me wanna save up so I can buy everything as soon as it comes out.

One of the comments on that Brickset post had a large picture of some of the 2011 sets with a little better quality than I've seen. Here you go.

Click here for the full 2000x2000 image.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

One of the comments on that Brickset post had a large picture of some of the 2011 sets with a little better quality than I've seen. Here you go.

Thanks for posting that; Alien Conquest looks pretty drat awesome, so does that lighthouse. So of course, rather than waiting, I just won this lot: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=7329647

It looks like there might be a few megablock pieces, but hopefully it's way less than the last lots I got. I guess this is my birthday present to myself, haha.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Shuppiluliumas posted:

holy poo poo that fishing boat
That was one of my favorite sets as a lad, full loving circle.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

3 posted:

holy poo poo that fishing boat
That was one of my favorite sets as a lad, full loving circle.

I didn't even notice that one, but it definitely looks like a re-release. That set was given to my brother when we were younger and it ended up with me, so that gave me a little nostalgia bomb too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

Alien Conquest looks pretty drat awesome

The space theme this year is X-Com! But how will they replicate the gut-churning terror you got as squaddie after squaddie from your first platoon was greased by bulbous-headed Things, almost invisible in the dark?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

InfinEight posted:

I didn't even notice that one, but it definitely looks like a re-release. That set was given to my brother when we were younger and it ended up with me, so that gave me a little nostalgia bomb too.

It's got too many new parts to be a straight rerelease, but it's definitely a fantastic homage. It's even got the shark!

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN
Pretty excited about the new Kingdoms sets. Also, Pirates of the Caribbean will be cool, because even if the movie franchise is becoming played out and Johnny Depp is just playing himself in every movie now, well, at least it's more Pirate themed stuff by LEGO.

Let's hope that doesn't mean a death knell for original Pirates stuff. It IS, after all, my 2nd favorite LEGO theme of all time.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

3 posted:

It's got too many new parts to be a straight rerelease, but it's definitely a fantastic homage. It's even got the shark!

Homage is a better word, lam. The new Cars sets look more promising than the Pirates of the Caribbean to me, but the pictures are too small to really be fair. I imagine that if the PotC theme sells well enough, there could be some pretty fantastic future sets involving zombie pirates, mermaids, sea monsters, etc.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Just went to the local Target in Australia, they have 20% off all Lego. Unfortunately, they didn't have any creator sets or any other sets that interested me/were in my price range. They did have S3 minifigs, though, and I can confirm that they're going for almost $5 each (before the 20% off). I bought a baseball player.

Also was dicking around in LDD and came up with this:

Furthermore, Alien Conquest owns hard.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Melbourne's target and Myers are starting to show the new Creator sets as well as stocking tons of Ninjago.

Oddly enough, neither had Series 3 figs, but Big W did at $4.80 a pack. Weird.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

What do Lego and GTA have in common?

Parents whine about the violence

http://www.theroot.com/views/lego-prison-industrial-complex-toy?wpsrc=OB00000001&wpisrc=obnetwork

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN

Sloppy posted:

http://www.theroot.com/views/lego-prison-industrial-complex-toy?wpsrc=OB00000001&wpisrc=obnetwork

Well, that is one overreactive piece of journalism.
Wonder if she would get incensed by the fact that virtually every pirate or castle themed set since the 80s has featured some type of lockup for enemy combatants?
No, ma'am, LEGO is not "normalizing the prison industrial complex". If anything they are making it zany and fun.
Also let's not overlook the fact that all kids from an early age not only want to distinguish bad guys from good guys, they play these roles out, whether it's cops and robbers, or the less PC cowboys and indians, or playing your favorite Street Fighter characters or Bakugan or Pokemon or whatever the newfangled poo poo is.
Who knows, maybe this is instilling in kids the fact that actions have consequences. Or something. I really don't know.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Sloppy posted:

This is enormously stupid. Not to say that toys don't have an impact on a child's psychological development, but saying that something like this teaches kids 'its okay to incarcerate people for money' is a huge stretch. No kid is going to look at this toy and say "Hell yeah, I wanna own a prison so I can be rich and oppress black people!"

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some ice to carve with my giant orange chainsaw.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
skulls for the skull throne

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Sloppy posted:

I know it's not really a discussion for a thread about a toy as nonviolent as LEGO,
but she mentions war play as being an outdated notion.
I've always thought that war play was a healthy step in kids learning to distinguish fantasy from reality.
I played with toy guns and swords as a kid and I never shot or stabbed anyone.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

I think I posted this guy's other house already, but this one is even more amazing:

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/249629
http://mikedoylesnap.blogspot.com/

I wish there were more pictures of it, including the interior. I would imagine that as detailed as the outside is, the inside is even more so.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
That's beautiful. At first I didn't even realize it was a Lego because the details put into the trees and bushes are that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

InfinEight posted:

I wish there were more pictures of it, including the interior. I would imagine that as detailed as the outside is, the inside is even more so.

I hope not, a finished interior would be too much to handle. I don't think the first one had an interior, either. Sweet god that thing is amaz

Mike Doyle posted:

Approx 450 hours to build Second in my series of Abandoned Houses (also, my second moc)
oh that's just not loving fair.