Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

bananasinpajamas posted:

I pretty much always skip the first 10 minutes or so of Maron's podcasts. Maron's problem is similar to Carolla's: both old ranting guys who feel the need to rant so much that they have several shows a week, thus overexposing their points of view. They'd both be better suited to do a weekly podcast with one stellar guest and more emphasis on the guest and not their own nonsense.

Yea I subscribe to him and all but I do the same skip and just roll eyes when something hits Marc's "did you perhaps know I too was a comedian long ago?" button and he has to have a rant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
When either Marc was on Death Ray or Scott was on WTF they were talking about being at a mutual party in the 90's and Marc was acting like his usual assholish self and Scott said, "loving Marc Maron".

I remember Marc Maron on the random comedy central stand up shows from the early 90's when I was like 11 or 12 watching stand up and I really didn't like him then. He was so mad and I probably didn't understand 60% of his jokes. But now when he annoys me on the podcast I just think, "loving Marc Maron". That gets me through it, and I really like him now.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I also really like WTF and I also skip the first 10 minutes every time.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Kabraxis posted:

Would you say that the opening rants on Carolla or WTF detract from the interviews though? I totally understand the viewpoint of people not wanting to hear a stranger bitch incessantly for ten minutes. At the same time though, I feel like the rants give a level connection between the audience and host which I feel a lot of podcasts lack.

edit: Please don't think I'm trying to White Knight Maron or Corolla. I'm more arguing podcasting styles. The rants annoy me too sometimes. I just feel like the shows wouldn't be the same without it.

Well Carolla doesn't really just have a designated ranting area like Maron. If someone brings up something even remotely related to Dora the Explorer or left-turn arrows he goes into the same poo poo he always says and it can quickly bring anything to a screeching halt. I don't see how that connects with the audience at all.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

bananasinpajamas posted:

Well Carolla doesn't really just have a designated ranting area like Maron. If someone brings up something even remotely related to Dora the Explorer or left-turn arrows he goes into the same poo poo he always says and it can quickly bring anything to a screeching halt. I don't see how that connects with the audience at all.

His audience is mostly bitter libertarian misogynists too, that helps connect. His whole deal is just angrily preach to the choir.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Sex Robot posted:

It's thoroughly inane. But his voice is like heroin for my ears.

I like how you talk about Lou like he isn't here and indeed isn't the one whose post you are replying to.

matt
May 3, 2003

shotgunbadger posted:

His audience is mostly bitter libertarian misogynists too, that helps connect. His whole deal is just angrily preach to the choir.

And so often the calls he would get were from guys basically reciting any of his 8 hot rant topics who would likely have his balls in their mouth if they were in his presence. Not to mention that Giovanni guy... That might be a little too creepy for me.

Most definitely agree with all of the Carolla shortcomings though namely the very old material. I listened to his show on KLSX for about a year before it went off air and had to stop listening to his new podcast about a year after it started because it was always the same drat material. I think the morning zoo setting was pretty good for him.

And Carcast just falls flat. I tried it for a while. It's like a guy who kind of likes a certain type of car and knows some auto related catch phrases and words, but doesn't really know a lot about anything else car related.

Seatbelts.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Adam was great on Loveline and on the radio show because both of those programs had an imposed structure, and even though Adam constantly railed against structured shows, they proved that without structure he just spins off in his ranting and narcissism until what he says isn't relevant or interesting to anyone except himself. As much as he hates producers, he really needs someone with a perspective outside of his own world telling him what works and what does not.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

ALFbrot posted:

I like how you talk about Lou like he isn't here and indeed isn't the one whose post you are replying to.

I.. wait what?

That's what I get for skimming posts.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Last time Doug Benson was in Boise one of the local indie newspapers did a short interview with him. I got a kick out of this part, especially the Carolla bit.

quote:

So, I asked Benson to play a little game with me. I named a dozen comedians and asked him to describe them in a couple of words. Here's what he said:

1. Sarah Silverman: "Wow, this is tough. The thing about a girl, a female comic—I shouldn't say girl, but I'll bet she still likes being called a girl. Let's do that: My favorite girl."
2. Larry David: "Same as on TV."
3. Jerry Seinfeld: "Businessman. I bet he'd hate that, but he doesn't even know who I am."
4. Greg Fitzsimmons: "[Laughs.] Brutally honest."
5. Adam Carolla: "Won't shut up. People give me such a hard time when I do his podcast. They say, 'You didn't talk enough." When am I supposed to talk? It's his show and he won't shut up." (It's true. Once, on his podcast, he ranted for 20 minutes about fruit-flavored iced tea.)
6. Brian Posehn: "Giant friend. He is a giant."
7. Dane Cook: "Not so bad. [Laughs his rear end off.]"
8. Joe Rogan: "Intense stoner. He likes fighting and weed. Those are his passions."
9. Patton Oswalt: "Little friend. Did I say giant friend about Brian? Little friend."
10. Paul F. Tompkins: "Fancy."
11. Zach Galifianakis: "Weird." (This, by the way, was the quickest answer Benson gave.)
12. Jim Gaffigan: "Bacon." (This was the second fastest.)

I still pick and choose my episodes based on the guest, but Carolla has gotten much better as of late. Hopefully we might see some even better changes with the new Sirius format in the next couple of weeks.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm just about to give up on Carolla's show entirely...at the moment I only download the shows with guests I think might be interesting, the most recent one of which was Lemmy from Motorhead. Lemmy was only there for the last 1/3rd of the show, they were playing sound effects all over everything and it was the same old poo poo that everyone else complains about. I'd send in an email saying the sound effects really cheapen the whole feel of the show but I have a feeling that's all Brian does during the show.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The new Don't Stop or We'll Die EP is out! YAAAAAAAY!

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/dontstoporwelldie6

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

ALFbrot posted:

This made me cackle aloud with gusto, sir. I hope you were able to get the rest of the episode eventually.

The Banned
Jun 11, 2005
"My witness is the empty sky."
Don't want to poo poo up this thread any more than I previously had, but if any of you are still curious about the tale of Dan Nainan, I made an update to my blog:

http://dearnotabby.tumblr.com/post/2944268339/i-know-everyone-is-tired-of-this-poo poo

I'm embarrassed I let him get to me like that, but whatever. I already clicked send.

edit: I'm just going to post a separate thread. Go about your business as usual, pardon the interruption.

The Banned fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 26, 2011

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

The Banned posted:

Don't want to poo poo up this thread any more than I previously had, but if any of you are still curious about the tale of Dan Nainan, I made an update to my blog:

http://dearnotabby.tumblr.com/post/2944268339/i-know-everyone-is-tired-of-this-poo poo

I'm embarrassed I let him get to me like that, but whatever. I already clicked send.

At this point, I think Marc should let Dan on WTF because he's loving crazy. I get the feeling we'll be seeing news stories about him in the future ala the famous John 3:16 guy.

At first, I felt contempt for him. Now I just feel pity. He'll probably never be happy.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

The Banned posted:

edit: I'm just going to post a separate thread. Go about your business as usual, pardon the interruption.

If it makes you feel any better, it looks like they didn't let his Filet Mignon rest enough before serving. I also love the fact that he's trying to make you jealous of his Chocolate Sundae dessert (with the works!).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

shotgunbadger posted:

Yea I subscribe to him and all but I do the same skip and just roll eyes when something hits Marc's "did you perhaps know I too was a comedian long ago?" button and he has to have a rant.
I've always seen that more as two peers connecting on a level that wouldn't be possible with just a random non comedian doing the interview. I can understand not liking the self indulgent intros to Marc's shows (even though I find them endearing, and they're usually very self-aware to the point of being tongue in cheek), but he is a really good interviewer, and a big part of that is he's been through it all himself, and has some great stories to tell that add to the conversation.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
Tried watching Old Dogs for the next How Did This Get Made and that poo poo is so bad. I got about 15 minutes in before stopping it. Once the podcast comes out I'll try watching it again. The opening credits were good for Baby's First Photoshop hilarity.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Rudy Riot posted:

Tried watching Old Dogs for the next How Did This Get Made and that poo poo is so bad. I got about 15 minutes in before stopping it. Once the podcast comes out I'll try watching it again. The opening credits were good for Baby's First Photoshop hilarity.

Yea I got about a half hour in before going 'nah' and walking away. I love How did This Get Made already, though, and am glad they're doing Netflix stuff too so I don't have to pay and make time to go see a terrible movie.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

My only issue so far with How Did This Get Made? is that none of the people on the show show any real chemistry between each other, and they literally just talk about the terrible movie the entire time, with no real leeway for personal interaction between everyone. Unlike Who Charted?, which has a similar premise in making fun of pop culture, but also being grounded and able to take jabs at each other and stray away from the topic when necessary. Still, it's an enjoyable listen.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Speaking of, the Old Dogs ep is up. As for chemistry I agree, I love The League so I kinda "know" the two guys already, so it's less an issue for me, but they could stand to banter just a bit.

I will say though, without banter it almost feels more "real", since they play off eachother often and do seem to like the mocking.

shotgunbadger fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 27, 2011

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
For those of you interested in comedy and games (I imagine there are a few of you in here); check out Nintendownload Xpress.

It's from Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann and pokes fun at the loads and loads of downloadable shovelware available for the Wii and DSi.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Sock The Great posted:

For those of you interested in comedy and games (I imagine there are a few of you in here); check out Nintendownload Xpress.

It's from Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann and pokes fun at the loads and loads of downloadable shovelware available for the Wii and DSi.

I honestly thought they were just joking about that being a separate podcast. This is awesome, because the Nintendo downloads were just about my favorite part of the Bombcast.

Then again, I feel like this might lose something without Brad's exasperated sighs and Ryan and Vinny playing off of Jeff.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I cannot wait to listen to this:

Marc Maron posted:

http://twitter.com/marcmaron/status/30679980564283393

Looks like I'm going to interview Gallagher today. WTF.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Hate to keep pulling from the same well but seeing that just made me thought 'oh god it'll be battle of the bitter old assholes'.

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.

Sock The Great posted:

On a similar note, I must bring up Idle Thumbs, or rather The Idle Thumbs. I don't know if it's been brought up in the thread before now, if so my apologies. It's a loosely structured show where 3 sometimes 4 knowledgeable guys sit around and talk about games. I've laughed at this show far more than any other comedy podcast. Sadly there are no new Thumbs coming out, but Chris Remo (Idle Thumbs creator) does a podcast with Ken Levine (System Shock 2, Bioshock, etc.) called Irrational Interviews which I also find to be delightful.

Edit: The Levine and Remo podcast is actually called Irrational Behavior. whoops

Kabraxis fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 27, 2011

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think this weeks MBMBaM was the funniest yet. Between Peepums nasty gum and French Stewart's agent, I laughed consistently throughout the entire ep.

These plus Coke Beach had me laughing so hard last night.

I'm going to slap the squint off ya, French Stewart!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

t3ch3 posted:

I cannot wait to listen to this:

Really looking forward to Gallagher bashing kids these days with their pants hanging down and their draws showing

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
Patton Oswalt is on today's WTF. It's a really good interview, especially when they get to talking about that dude that plagarized some of Patton's bits.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
edit: dumb. Dumb dumb dumb.

Sonictic
Sep 11, 2003

marquise bossyfangs mcsekret
So Marc has just reported via twitter that Gallagher freaked out and left the interview. He got upset when Marc disagreed on what makes a good or bad comedian apparently. There is a half of hour of discussion recorded that Marc will use so that should be interesting.

Meanwhile I just wasted an hour and a half of my day watching Old Dogs and now it's time to listen to How Did This Get Made to make up for it.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Marc Maron posted on Twitter that Gallagher walked on his interview about 30 minutes in. He said he threw down the mic and stormed out.

edit: Ah I was beaten to the punch. Either way, I'm looking forward to hearing this.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003

Sonictic posted:

So Marc has just reported via twitter that Gallagher freaked out and left the interview. He got upset when Marc disagreed on what makes a good or bad comedian apparently. There is a half of hour of discussion recorded that Marc will use so that should be interesting.

Cannot loving wait.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Oh man that interview is going to be awesome.

Posting for those who haven't seen this before: Gallagher is in fact totally batshit crazy.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Sexy Randal posted:

Posting for those who haven't seen this before: Gallagher is in fact totally batshit crazy.

He really loving is, I'm so looking forward to this because for all my dislike of Marc, I love any venue to hear gallagher be loving bonkers. I hope he kept the storm out on the podcast, I wanna hear that fuckin mic drop.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

bananasinpajamas posted:

My only issue so far with How Did This Get Made? is that none of the people on the show show any real chemistry between each other, and they literally just talk about the terrible movie the entire time,

Kinda funny since Paul Scheer is married to June, but I don't think he's ever mentioned it once for some reason. But then again I don't think Kulap has ever mentioned being married to Aukerman but everyone knows that anyway. I don't feel like they don't have chemistry though, I think it's more of an issue that Paul isn't really a "host", he doesn't lead the show in any direction, they all just talk about whatever they want.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Wyld Cannon posted:

Kinda funny since Paul Scheer is married to June, but I don't think he's ever mentioned it once for some reason. But then again I don't think Kulap has ever mentioned being married to Aukerman but everyone knows that anyway. I don't feel like they don't have chemistry though, I think it's more of an issue that Paul isn't really a "host", he doesn't lead the show in any direction, they all just talk about whatever they want.

Pretty much yea, it's not 'his' thing it's theirs and they wanna just bring a friend in and laugh at a terrible movie. I honestly dig that, it's not about them and all it's just about this topic and they keep it short enough where they don't have to pad with forced banter to feel 'personal'.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Sexy Randal posted:

I was at the Marc Maron show in Portland this evening and he talked a bit about the interview. I am so looking forward to the episode now, it sounds like a doozy.

(Though I have to ask why the hell Gallagher is in Stumptown, wtf. We're not his kind of people.)

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
FREDDIE WONG POSTING HERE
:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
My friends and I have started a podcast:

http://facerocker.libsyn.com/

We're still working on recording demeanor and all that, but this is basically nerds talking about nerd subjects (and yes I'm very aware that this is a fairly saturated market).

A couple of parts I think are pretty good:

Episode 1 - 53:00 - I pitch a Hitler time-travel movie.
Episode 2 - 23:30 - Talking about "scary video games" and what actually scares my friend Logan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Wyld Cannon posted:

Yeah, that's why I specified the lack of "real" chemistry on the show itself, as it's puzzling to me considering they're clearly all good together.

Also Jason Mantzoukas literally uses the word "literally" in every sentence. Literally.

• Locked thread