Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Karmine posted:

:laffo:

Also, so it's not a single emoticon reply, I realize this is still a few months away but who do you all see winning Money in the Bank? People are calling Del Rio for the Rumble

Well that's just loving dumb.

quote:

but I think MitB might be a better fit for him.

That makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

89 posted:

I always thought it seemed like HHH was too close to the corner.
Yeah I agree with this, but with how little room RVD had to jump I don't think they could have tried it any further away, not that I'm implying it's Triple H's fault, it was a dumb spot.

Karmine posted:

Also, so it's not a single emoticon reply, I realize this is still a few months away but who do you all see winning Money in the Bank? People are calling Del Rio for the Rumble but I think MitB might be a better fit for him.
I agree, it is a better fit for him but I'm not sure about it's feasibility, in TLC Del Rio looked really uncomfortable on a ladder, but I guess that's to be expected when you're anticipating a spot where you have to fall outside the ring through two tables and it's your first ever WWE main event.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Actually what I want most is Jack Swagger to win the Royal Rumble so he can win the Raw world title at Wrestlemania then lose it to Triple H and immediately get busted back down to the midcard so fast he isn't even booked at Summerslam again

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ziggler will win MITB and lose when he cashes in, because this is what they regularly do to Ziggler.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

sportsgenius86 posted:

Ziggler will win MITB and lose when he cashes in, because this is what they regularly do to Ziggler.

We call it Mysterio Booking.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
When was wrestling the most profitable as an industry for the workers?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sue Denim posted:

It's really hard to say without knowing really anything about how they've been paid and what metrics we'd really use.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Charisma posted:

It's really hard to say without knowing really anything about how they've been paid and what metrics we'd really use.

This is true but having said that, it's probably fair to assume it was most profitable for the wrestlers when it was most profitable in general, and I doubt it'd ever been more profitable than it was at the height of the Monday Night Wars. Well, maybe some time during the territory days, but I dunno, with TV, PPV, merch, home video...it's an obvious answer but I think it's a solid guess.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would guess that, if only because of the ridiculous contracts WCW was giving out. The one I always think of is how they paid Lanny Poffo for like 4 years and he sat home the entire time.

But I think the key was that the public was rabid for wrestling, and rabid for more than one company. It's very different than the 80s, where most of the interest was devoted to one company with the NWA coming up way behind. Ratings were very high, buyrate were very high, merchandise sold very well, attendance was fantastic. And not only that, but there was actual free agency, as wrestlers could negotiate and threaten to go to another company.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sue Denim posted:

Monday Night Wars meant as a midcarder, you could easily make $120,000 per year. Also, the highest paid wrestlers were nearly hitting $10M.

Second place would be the Territories in the 70s and 80s. I recall Dutch Mantell mentioning he was making a couple thousand per month by simply being a midcard guy in a hot program. However, it was tough to get into a top spot back then, tougher than even the Monday Night Wars era.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Who's paler?

Sheamus

Or Bryan Danielson before he sold out to the evil capitalist tanning beds?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sue Denim posted:

For the top guys? The Monday Night Wars. Goldberg was getting 3,000,000 Guaranteed per year, Hogan more than that, Austin and Rock were earning close to 10,000,000 at their peak.

In terms of the most wrestlers being able to earn the most money? The territorial days by far. The number of wrestlers who could make a living as a wrestler has steadily declined over the last 30 years. Before national expansion you could make a living as a wrestler in the Northeast with WWWF/WWF, in Florida, Texas (at times more than one office operated in Texas!) Memphis, Montreal, Calgary, Mid South, Mid Atlantic with JCP, Georgia, Kansas City, Oregon, LA, San Francisco, the AWA and Detroit. There were others too.

I'd guess the peak for this would be the early 70s?

But if you were a trained wrestler, there was a living to be made. You might have to pick up and move every couple years unless you were really entrenched, but there was always work. The schedule loving sucked unless you were in the AWA, and no one was making the money that Cena, Orton, HHH, Rey and Undertaker are making today, but for the average wrestler times were way more profitable back then.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

Sweet honourable christ! This is terrifying.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

He looks like Kratos.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

Who's paler? Sheamus or Bryan Danielson before he sold out to the evil capitalist tanning beds?

Bryanielson's being nailed by a flash which the white balance of the camera that took that photo didn't correct for, hence the icy blue effect. The answer to "Who's paler?" is always Sheamus.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hockles posted:

Has there ever been a gimmick of an American Civil War soldier?

The Southern Boys (Tracy Smothers and Steve Armstrong) came out in Confederate gear, but it wasn't like specific characters.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Sweet honourable christ! This is terrifying.

To be fair, the lightning is much, much different.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

Who's paler?

Sheamus

Sheamus is Irish and a ginge. There is no possible paler combination in this world. That Danielson picture is fantastic. Any idea what match it is from?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrMondayNight posted:

Sheamus is Irish and a ginge. There is no possible paler combination in this world. That Danielson picture is fantastic. Any idea what match it is from?

It is after his match with Nigel McGuinness that happened on the Domination event in Philadelphia, but aired on the Driven PPV.

Bryan Danielson's skin was so pale in ROH that Roderick Strong's chop marks remained visible on his skin for nearly 2 months.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Is there no WCW Wednesday Nitro tonight? I was looking forward to being able to watch it this week.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Is there actual advantages for the wrestlers themselves being independent contractors? It's weird hearing about how they need to pay for their own wrestling gear, health bills etc while only being able to work with WWE. The word independent implies you should be able to hop around wrestling companies if you want to but that's clearly not the case.

They seem to get the poo poo end of the stick most of time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

savinhill posted:

Is there no WCW Wednesday Nitro tonight? I was looking forward to being able to watch it this week.

I was half planning on doing something myself but it wasn't ready in time and I wasn't sure if Ziggy was planning one or not, but I might do one next week or even on the Sunday unless Ziggy has one in mind.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Is there actual advantages for the wrestlers themselves being independent contractors? It's weird hearing about how they need to pay for their own wrestling gear, health bills etc while only being able to work with WWE. The word independent implies you should be able to hop around wrestling companies if you want to but that's clearly not the case.

They seem to get the poo poo end of the stick most of time.

WWE wrestlers are not independent contractors at all and WWE just claims they are for horseshit reasons to not make them liable for some things.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Is there actual advantages for the wrestlers themselves being independent contractors?
Ahahaha no. It's legit just a carny way for Vince to get out of having to pay benefits / maintain retirement funds / be liable for injuries.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

Who's paler?

Sheamus

But Danielson has vitiligo, right?

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

WWE wrestlers are not independent contractors at all and WWE just claims they are for horseshit reasons to not make them liable for some things.

Like pensions and paid leave right? I seem to remember a shoot interview with Jesse Ventura saying they don't receive any of those things.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

savinhill posted:

Wednesday Nitro is every two weeks to prevent burnout. It'll be back next week.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

tzirean posted:

But Danielson has vitiligo, right?

Yeah, I think that's why he became vegan.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Like pensions and paid leave right? I seem to remember a shoot interview with Jesse Ventura saying they don't receive any of those things.

Yeah and more, its basically just a way for Vince to gently caress them as much as possible while pushing some libertarian bullshit 'they can make their own choices' rear end lie which has nothing to do with anything.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I was half planning on doing something myself but it wasn't ready in time and I wasn't sure if Ziggy was planning one or not, but I might do one next week or even on the Sunday unless Ziggy has one in mind.
Thanks for answering, I really enjoyed the one I got to watch before, too bad there isn't one tonight.

edit: Thanks, Ziggy, I just saw your post, hopefully I can watch next week.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 27, 2011

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ventura left the company after he found out he wasn't getting a cent in royalties. He sued the company, the court ruled in his favor, and jumped to WCW. He has to get royalties for every release he's on now, and that's why you'll hear a lot of dead air in late 80s/early 90s WWF matches and some early 90s WCW matches, since they edit him out.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

Ventura left the company after he found out he wasn't getting a cent in royalties. He sued the company, the court ruled in his favor, and jumped to WCW. He has to get royalties for every release he's on now, and that's why you'll hear a lot of dead air in late 80s/early 90s WWF matches and some early 90s WCW matches, since they edit him out.

I'm pretty glad to hear that he won that case to be honest. WWE do good things, but some of the ways they try and screw talent over is a bit disheartening.

Also isn't the way WWE are going about things sort of backwards? By screwing over talent aren't they effectively creating a hostile market and preventing capable people to look at professional wrestling as a potential career? On the other hand though, there seems to be a line of guys ready to give their bodies to the sport so I have no clue.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Is there a specific rule about the footage used for Wednesday Nitro/Whatever J-ru runs opposite TNA PPV type things? Is it generally just stuff thats not easily available to buy on DVD is ok?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can't speak for Ziggy, I just put together stuff I think people would enjoy watching (or punish them if they choose to want to watch a Noxious Nitro). Almost all of the stuff is "old" and in general I aim for things that a lot of people may have missed when it first aired or only heard others talk about.

By "old" I mean pre-2001, because the world is full of children.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Jerusalem posted:

I can't speak for Ziggy, I just put together stuff I think people would enjoy watching (or punish them if they choose to want to watch a Noxious Nitro). Almost all of the stuff is "old" and in general I aim for things that a lot of people may have missed when it first aired or only heard others talk about.

By "old" I mean pre-2001, because the world is full of children.

drat kids :argh:

I was more thinking if someone (not neccessarily me, just saying) in the run up to a major event was to decide to show old Summerslams say, would that get vetoed due to the Summerslam events being readily available to buy as opposed to the themed compilations you make or the old nitros that Ziggy shows.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's more a question for the mods I guess, probably better to PM HulkaMatt about that type of thing.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

But if you were a trained wrestler, there was a living to be made. You might have to pick up and move every couple years unless you were really entrenched, but there was always work. The schedule loving sucked unless you were in the AWA, and no one was making the money that Cena, Orton, HHH, Rey and Undertaker are making today, but for the average wrestler times were way more profitable back then.
That' the impression I got, some of the money Cornette said he was making in the territory days shocked me, as I'd always thought wrestlers struggled financially before there was a nationally broadcast product, turns out I couldn't be more wrong. By the sounds of it people did fairly well if they had name recognition and if they were in the south the celebrity it afforded them was a huge perk.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

You could always do it tomorrow, maybe around 9 PM EST.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Sue Denim posted:

That' the impression I got, some of the money Cornette said he was making in the territory days shocked me, as I'd always thought wrestlers struggled financially before there was a nationally broadcast product, turns out I couldn't be more wrong. By the sounds of it people did fairly well if they had name recognition and if they were in the south the celebrity it afforded them was a huge perk.

I think most of the stories we hear from those days are in biographies or documentaries, and are of people who eventually found fame later on? So the few stories I've really heard were really only told to us in order to draw a parallell between their early struggles, and eventual success?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Why is Rey the only masked wrestler on the main roster?