Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK

HPL posted:

So is that a sling bag or a shoulder bag or what?

Sling.

It hugs the spine nicely :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can't use canon-design straps on nikon bodies, they don't have the recessed bar at the bottom.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

You can't use canon-design straps on nikon bodies, they don't have the recessed bar at the bottom.

Either do the Rebels; that's why you need an adapter plate that comes with a strap lug or a battery grip with one.

So, you can use the Canon strap on a Nikon with an adapter plate that screws into the tripod mount.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 2, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Already Bored posted:

Sling.

It hugs the spine nicely :)

Meh. Not a big fan of slings. Nice looking bag though.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Would I look like a complete tool if I bought the double sling black rapid system?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Would I look like a complete tool if I bought the double sling black rapid system?

The only time something like that is socially acceptable is if you're covering an event otherwise you'll look like a dork.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

HPL posted:

The only time something like that is socially acceptable is if you're covering an event otherwise you'll look like a dork.

Even covering an event you still look like a dork. It's like the 21st century equivalent of the photo vest.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

Even covering an event you still look like a dork. It's like the 21st century equivalent of the photo vest.

I am going to either prove this wrong or hilariously right when I am dual-wielding Graflex's on R-straps. (I just won a 4x5 Tele-Graflex last night!)

The R-strap is a surprisingly great fit for them: most models have an additional tripod mount on the side for portrait shots, which you can screw the Blackrapid strap into while still maintaining the bottom socket's quickrelease plate for tripod work. They otherwise don't really have a great provision for a shoulder strap of any kind from the factory. I wish I could go back in time to the 1920's and patent it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

You will look like this:

How fashionable you think that looks is entirely subjective, but, yes, there is a strong resemblance to a tool there.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

ExecuDork posted:

You will look like this:

How fashionable you think that looks is entirely subjective, but, yes, there is a strong resemblance to a tool there.

That kind of setup would make me pretty paranoid, seems like it'd be more likely to bang your lenses into stuff while you're walking around.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, the only time I've seen that look okay is on a wedding photographer, where people expect you to be decked out with gear, the more the better. I would laugh at anyone at an event or just walking around with that on.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I'd use a dual-strap at an airshow if I had a zoom and a prime on two different bodies. Otherwise, I'd just stick with the standard single R-strap.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

That kind of setup would make me pretty paranoid, seems like it'd be more likely to bang your lenses into stuff while you're walking around.
That's pretty much how they rest with a single R-strap too. You get used to it.

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

It seems that way, but trust me, it's not. Your equipment will have a lower profile because it rests along the body, rather than sticking the lens out. I got the RS-5 back in mid 2009 and have never bumped into anything while using it. Yet I've seen people knocking their cameras into things left and right. What's also great is that it provides you easier access to move the camera when walking through crowds.

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW
Someone posted this bag in the Canon thread:

Ona Union Station Bag

I thought it'd make a good post here because of how nice it looks; and to ask if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative that can keep up with its styling? This is the only camera bag I've seen that doesn't scream "Steal my expensive camera stuff!" It's $280 so if I can't find something similar I may have to try modding a cheaper shoulder bag (or buy it, it's so nice).

e: added a pic of interior

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
They're not leather, but the ThinkTank Retrospective series isn't too different from that, for about $100 less.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-30-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx

They market them as "inconspicuous". I don't know what effect that might have on potential thieves. My guess is somebody willing to lift a bag from a tourist is probably willing to lift any bag from a tourist.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ExecuDork posted:

They're not leather, but the ThinkTank Retrospective series isn't too different from that, for about $100 less.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-30-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx

They market them as "inconspicuous". I don't know what effect that might have on potential thieves. My guess is somebody willing to lift a bag from a tourist is probably willing to lift any bag from a tourist.

I'm pretty sure any bag that houses "2 pro sized DSLRs" is conspicuous.

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Cool thanks, I was googling the hell out of camera bags but didn't find anything. I'll check them out.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I need a bag to hold:

7D,
70-200 F2.8L IS,
Tamron 17-50,
Sigma 8-16,
Nifty 50,
CF cars/Filters/batteries.

(Plus room for a flash + grip when I upgrade)

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to be able to put the camera in the bag when on the 70-200 if that's possible?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I can't recommend my Kata Dr-467 http://www.amazon.com/Kata-DR-467i-Digital-Rucksack-Black/dp/B003036CTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296055647&sr=8-1 enough. It's very comfortable, durable, and cheap. It's under a $100. I've seen another photog hold his 40d with 70-200 in the top compartment.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I just spent a long weekend in LA with this Swissgear Zinc ME and it worked very well. It has two padded flaps across the top of the interior and I may cut those out, but to hold a body attached to a 14-54, a separate 30mm f/1.4, hotshoe flash, bottle of water, and my Galaxy Tab, it was fantastic.

EDIT: There aren't a ton of them out there and $60 isn't the greatest price ever, but it's not bad at all if you're travelling light and has plenty of padding. The exterior is a sort of gray canvas and I sprayed some waterproofer all over it for a little weatherproofing and it seems to hold up just fine.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 26, 2011

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

A5H posted:

I need a bag to hold:

7D,
70-200 F2.8L IS,
Tamron 17-50,
Sigma 8-16,
Nifty 50,
CF cars/Filters/batteries.

(Plus room for a flash + grip when I upgrade)

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to be able to put the camera in the bag when on the 70-200 if that's possible?

That's almost exactly what I put in my retrospective 20 (with 70-200 attached) and it fits great.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

drat it's a shame it's around £130 :(
If it was like £80 I'd be all over it.

That Kata would do it, but I can't appreciate how it looks so will keep a look out for something else.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I can't recommend my Kata Dr-467 http://www.amazon.com/Kata-DR-467i-Digital-Rucksack-Black/dp/B003036CTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296055647&sr=8-1 enough. It's very comfortable, durable, and cheap. It's under a $100. I've seen another photog hold his 40d with 70-200 in the top compartment.
Got one for Christmas and it did a fantastic job at CES for me. When you're at an event that necessitates an unfashionable backpack, it's perfect. I still want to get a bit more socially acceptable shoulder bag for lugging around to class and work.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

A5H posted:

drat it's a shame it's around £130 :(
If it was like £80 I'd be all over it.

That Kata would do it, but I can't appreciate how it looks so will keep a look out for something else.

Ah, well I haven't seen any used yet, but maybe that will be an option for that price range. I decided I wanted a nice looking bag that was comfortable and well built, and its been fantastic. If you can stretch your budget you should look at one in a local shop. While somewhat expensive, I think they are really great value compared to other bags that are "stylish" and functional.

I'm with others in that no bag will prevent theft, but a nice conspicuous bag still looks more professional to me.

subx fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 26, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I have this and it's great.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The Tamrac System 6 I bought through Pentaxforums arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance yet to really put it through its paces, and I'm not very familiar with the 7D or your lenses. Having said that, your gear *might* fit in this bag. They also sell a couple of bags that are a bit larger. I quite like the various pockets for filters, batteries, spare cards, etc.

I got mine second-hand for $65 including shipping. Amazon.com lists it for about $80.

Are you looking for a shoulder bag, a sling, or a backpack? Or something else?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Not fussed really. Just something that looks nice and can do what I want.
Essentially I want that retrospective 20 but cheaper.
I'm not a fan of those almost square box bag type things.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

That is a pretty correct guess. I lol at all the photo-dorks going to Southeast Asia and asking strategies to not look like a tourist. Newsflash, you're white, people will take you for a tourist anyways. Theft is more about opportunity than window-shopping for the camera-guyiest bag to knick.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

A5H posted:

I have the Tamrac Express 7. I haven't used it much yet because it's too cold to go anywhere but work, but I really like the material used, the construction and I think it looks the most like a regular messenger bag of all the bags I've seen. It's flat, only the width of the camera body, but sturdy and the camera is easily accessible. It fits one camera body with the kit lens on, a nifty 50, and my 55-250 with another whole section free for another large lens (or two shorter ones) or flash. Could probably do another large lens AND flash if you stuff things in there a bit. And then there are pockets for batteries, filters, etc.

It has annoying velcro on the main flap with no zipper, just a clip, so it may not be the most secure thing ever. But if you're paranoid like me and always keep your bag in front of you when there are lots of people around, it's probably not a problem.

$50 on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XXA0WM/ref=oss_product Could be cheaper elsewhere.

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

A5H posted:

Here's one I found that doesn't look completely horrendous and is small enough for basic camera stuff. It's £85 and I'm considering it over the other bags I'm looking at. I don't think it's specifically made for cameras but there are side pockets that can hold lenses and plenty of room for a camera, etc.

E: looks like the bag may be a bit too small for you, but for everyday trips it looks good for pretty much anyone.

Link: http://www.homeofmillican.com/MARK-THE-FIELD-BAG.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OneZeroSix fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 27, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That is a pretty correct guess. I lol at all the photo-dorks going to Southeast Asia and asking strategies to not look like a tourist. Newsflash, you're white, people will take you for a tourist anyways. Theft is more about opportunity than window-shopping for the camera-guyiest bag to knick.

Yeah I'm down with this. I walked through LA with a camera in hand wearing a bright green Hartford Whalers shirt and I'm 6'6". Somehow I managed not to attract attention :v:. I think part of it is just not acting like some unaware moron gawking at everything you see. There were other people with very nice Canon and Nikon setups walking around at dark with tripods for long exposures. So long as you're smart about your surroundings, you should be fine.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm going to CA next month and want to bring my camera gear with me, finding a bag that doesn't scream "I'm a giant camera dork" is proving to be difficult without spending $200+

I want a sling/messenger style bag that looks normal/attractive and doesn't look like the camera bags you see from Nikon/Canon/etc. It needs to fit the following:

- gripped D90 with either a 50mm or 18-105 mounted
- space for a spare lens or two and at least 1 flash
- space/room to fit a small notebook or iPad

So far my leading contenders are the Incase DSLR sling (I have concerns of it fitting my gripped camera), the Crumpler 6million dollar home, and the tenba mini messenger photo/laptop bag.

Does anyone know any other options under $120 or so?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Does anyone know of a bag that's designed to only hold like a camera and 1-2 lenses, but is wide enough to fit a camera with a grip? All of the small bags seem to ignore anyone using a grip. I love my big huge leather manpurse bag for carrying to places where I need a full set of gear, but if I just want to go downtown and walk around, it's a big unnecessary and I'd like something like one of the little Domke bags except with a little more width so it will fit a grip. Does anyone know of any bags like that?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Does anyone know of a bag that's designed to only hold like a camera and 1-2 lenses, but is wide enough to fit a camera with a grip? All of the small bags seem to ignore anyone using a grip. I love my big huge leather manpurse bag for carrying to places where I need a full set of gear, but if I just want to go downtown and walk around, it's a big unnecessary and I'd like something like one of the little Domke bags except with a little more width so it will fit a grip. Does anyone know of any bags like that?

Dunno, Slingshot 100? The 200 fits my gripped 5D+24-70L + misc lenses okay at least.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Look into top-loading holster-style bags like the Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW. If you use a medium-sized lens, you can fit another lens in the bottom of the bag and have the camera on top of it. Or if you're using a 70-200, you can have the camera with that on it in the bag, and attach a side bag for another lens. Think Tank has their digital holster series as well but you'll probably have to buy a belt for that.

Keep in mind that these kind of bags aren't really much smaller than a regular bag since a gripped camera with a 70-200 can only fit in a bag so small. Of course there are smaller models if you're not using a 70-200.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HPL posted:

Look into top-loading holster-style bags like the Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW. If you use a medium-sized lens, you can fit another lens in the bottom of the bag and have the camera on top of it. Or if you're using a 70-200, you can have the camera with that on it in the bag, and attach a side bag for another lens. Think Tank has their digital holster series as well but you'll probably have to buy a belt for that.

Keep in mind that these kind of bags aren't really much smaller than a regular bag since a gripped camera with a 70-200 can only fit in a bag so small. Of course there are smaller models if you're not using a 70-200.

I have that 75AW and it holds my gripped E-30 + 50-200SWD, for what that's worth.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Well I'm a bit disappointed. A few months back I exchanged emails with one of the design guys at Timbuk2 and he suggested that they were coming out with a messenger bag that also had a small space for a compact camera (rangefinder, in my case). He said they'd be releasing something in the New Year and well, no, they didn't.

It's a messenger style bag that carries camera gear and nothing else. Just like every other messenger style bag out there. :(

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/limited-edition/snoop-camera-messenger

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

If you're on your feet for any length at all I strongly recommend getting a backpack no matter how dorky it looks. As neat as messenger style bags are they can really murder your back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DJExile posted:

I have that 75AW and it holds my gripped E-30 + 50-200SWD, for what that's worth.

Just as a warning to other folks, there are two similar Lowepro toploaders out there, the Pro 75 AW and the Zoom AW. The Pro 75 AW is much, much better than the Zoom AW in design and I wouldn't go with the Zoom AW unless it's really cheap.

• Locked thread