Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Agent Interrobang posted:

Really, think about the leadership elements the Clans are walking into here. Caesar Steiner, Frederick Steiner/Anastasius Focht, Maximillian Liao, Theodore Kurita, Hanse Davion, Janos Marik and the REAL Thomas Marik, Morgan Kell. This is like an old-school Inner Sphere dream-team.

Who commands the 1st Regulan right now? Those guys take no poo poo.

E: new page. My character's ride in 3085, the Furillo-built Defiance. No, not the stock one.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Mukaikubo posted:

Did I mention only a single ton of autocannon armor for the autocannons?
Hey now, don't pretend that thing is going to be alive for 22 turns to use it all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think I would kill approximately infinity of those with my Banshee-S

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Arquinsiel posted:

VVVV that's actually slightly worrying really. I've been *highly* tempted to get my hands on a Kraken for my Jade Falcons. 10 UAC2 is fukken MURDER even without support.

I loving LOVE Banes/Krakens. Both the original model and the Bane 2, though if I had to take my preference the Bane 2 wins out. 4 Ultra Autocannon-10s with 14 TONS of ammunition? HELL YES.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

I loving LOVE Banes/Krakens. Both the original model and the Bane 2, though if I had to take my preference the Bane 2 wins out. 4 Ultra Autocannon-10s with 14 TONS of ammunition? HELL YES.

That...seems a bit much, unless you were planning on Rambo-ing an entire cluster of Omnimechs without resupply. Also, I hope to god that thing has CASE, because I could see a mech with that much ammo turning into a pinata with an M-80 inside.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Yeah, i love the mass fire AC clan mechs, the IS really don't have anything to compare, too heavy really for a workable varient in my opinion.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

elitebuster posted:

That...seems a bit much, unless you were planning on Rambo-ing an entire cluster of Omnimechs without resupply. Also, I hope to god that thing has CASE, because I could see a mech with that much ammo turning into a pinata with an M-80 inside.

The Bane is a lineholder/area denial mech. It's basically designed to operate at long distances for extremely long periods of time with limited support, and to be so overwhelmingly powerful that nothing wants to come close to it.

And yes, CASE is all but standard on Clanner mechs.

Defiance Industries posted:

E: new page. My character's ride in 3085, the Furillo-built Defiance. No, not the stock one.

gently caress YES, I love the Defiance. I basically love anything in the Warhammer -> Thug design philosophy line, though.

Agent Interrobang fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 27, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's intrinsic, Crit-free and weightless.

Not a big fan of Clan design... Find it kinda boring, even as I am designing one for a fan XTRO (Clan Homoerotic Panther, SNARL)

And what I dig about the Defiance is the slapdash nature of the original design. Pretty muc put together from whatever was built on and around Furillo that they had on hand.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

KnoxZone posted:

Because so many people have volunteered to be Mechwarriors for this, Poptarts will solve it by giving every single one of us ALL crappy Clints or Spiders to face off against a single heavy star in our first engagement with the clanners. The survivors get to continue on.

Also, we need to invade clan space and beat up some garrison troops. I want to salvage my all-time favorite mech. I want a Hunchback IIC.

I tohught we were all going to cycle out after 1 mission anyway.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

elitebuster posted:

It's a 100 ton mech with the armour to match. A UAC10 goes through 8 rounds a turn, meaning that it's only going to last five turns of full-auto before being dry.

Axe-man posted:

Yeah, i love the mass fire AC clan mechs, the IS really don't have anything to compare, too heavy really for a workable varient in my opinion.
Ever heard of the RAC5?

And yes, CASE is all but standard on Clanner mechs.
It's actually standard on their ammunition bins.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arquinsiel posted:

Ever heard of the RAC5?

Yupe, good idea but the jamming aspect makes it really risky, at 10 tons you start wondering if you might be better just having a PPC or light gauss isntead of taking the reduced range.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Axe-man posted:

Yupe, good idea but the jamming aspect makes it really risky, at 10 tons you start wondering if you might be better just having a PPC or light gauss isntead of taking the reduced range.

Is why you mount two at once, kamerad! Big fun! One always work, yes? yes! Many boom!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So one element of the fluff I'm genuinely curious about: how did the Inner Sphere go from a hand-me-down technology base where mechs were rare and valuable circa 3010 to a renaissance of technological development and vastly expanded manufacturing capacity circa 3060?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arglebargle III posted:

So one element of the fluff I'm genuinely curious about : how did the Inner Sphere go from a hand-me-down technology base where mechs were rare and valuable circa 3010 to a renaissance of technological development and vastly expanded manufacturing capacity circa 3060?

Right after the end of the 3rd War, the Grey Death Legion discovered an intact Star League memory core and disseminated it all over the Sphere to stick it to ComStar. By 3039, Star League tech was being fielded in small numbers by the elite of the AFFC and DCMS. By the end of the Clan Invasion in 3052, the Great Houses had combined rediscovered SL data with reverse-engineered Clan technology and what information had been preserved by groups like Defiance Industries of Hesperus II and Archernar Manufacturing on New Avalon to really kick things into overdrive.

The Houses had been trying for some time, but each major discovery was usually stomped out by ComStar's intel group, ROM. When the GDL gave copies of their core to everyone, though, ComStar couldn't control it anymore.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The Gray Death Legion unearthed a Star League memory core on the planet Helm. To prevent the knowledge in it from being lost, as ComStar was sending out kill-teams to stop them, the Legion made a hojillion copies of it and distributed them for free to anyone willing to take them. One of the cores eventually made it to the NAIS, where the Davion magic scientists managed to make everything work.

In addition, once Myndo Waterly became Primus, she dumped a shitload of LosTech onto the Draconis Combine, because she was the former Precenter Deiron and had a huge hate on the Federated Suns.

EDIT: Beaten so very, very hard.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Short version: Open Source and the internet make it really hard to keep people from being uneducated sefs. :v:

Grayson Carlyle should totally be GNUs mascot.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I also forgot to mention that when Focht took over ComStar in 3052, the House units on the Clan borders gained assistance from the Com Guards and their technical staff. C* aid is why the Houses could build WarShips at all, too.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

So one element of the fluff I'm genuinely curious about : how did the Inner Sphere go from a hand-me-down technology base where mechs were rare and valuable circa 3010 to a renaissance of technological development and vastly expanded manufacturing capacity circa 3060?

Long story short, the Grey Death Legion is given a planet with a Star League-era fortress carved into the bedrock noone can get into, get's attacked, run into fortress, copy the memory core stored there, run like hell, fortress blows up, for revenge against the people who attacked them to gain the fortress' secrets they distribute copies of the memory core to anyone they meet in order to make it common knowledge, Successor states get copies, and so on.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Helm_Memory_Core

e:fb

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Preechr posted:

In addition, once Myndo Waterly became Primus, she dumped a shitload of LosTech onto the Draconis Combine, because she was the former Precenter Deiron and had a huge hate on the Federated Suns.
I lol'd so hard when she basically told the First Circuit that they were gonna spank the Clans and then get back to dealing with Comstar's nemesis.... Hanse Davion.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Arquinsiel posted:

I lol'd so hard when she basically told the First Circuit that they were gonna spank the Clans and then get back to dealing with Comstar's nemesis.... Hanse Davion.

Now consider that in PTN's timeline Myndo Waterly was in charge of the scout force ComStar sent out looking for the Clans. Can you imagine her pulling a Phelan Wolf with all the knowledge of ComStar she has and all that hatred of the Fox?

:aaa:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just what we'd need, a clanner that makes Vlad Ward look reserved by comparison.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Axe-man posted:

Nowhere near as risky as UACs though, RACs can be unjammed and UACs can't. I'd have a tough time choosing between a well-designed RAC-user versus a UAC-user.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Now consider that in PTN's timeline Myndo Waterly was in charge of the scout force ComStar sent out looking for the Clans. Can you imagine her pulling a Phelan Wolf with all the knowledge of ComStar she has and all that hatred of the Fox?

:aaa:

She doesn't know mech fighting, right? Right?

I swear to Christ, if we meet Star Commander Myndo Wolverine... :suicide: I would not like to be in FedSun affiliated mech going up against that clan.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

Nowhere near as risky as UACs though, RACs can be unjammed and UACs can't. I'd have a tough time choosing between a well-designed RAC-user versus a UAC-user.

RACs are much more awesome. :colbert: The dual RAC Jagermech is pure concentrated dakka.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

She doesn't know mech fighting, right? Right?

I don't think Waterly was ever a mechwarrior, no. I didn't really mean literally pull a Phelan, but she has so much knowledge that the thought of her switching sides is chilling, even if she just becomes an advisor she'll know enough to help the Clans kick major rear end.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Tempest_56 posted:

RACs are much more awesome. :colbert: The dual RAC Jagermech is pure concentrated dakka.
Definitely, but sometimes it's hard to pass up 40 potential damage to a single spot.

Speaking of dakka, HAGs own, gently caress the haters.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

WarLocke posted:

I don't think Waterly was ever a mechwarrior, no.

Wait, what? There's a political figure in the BT universe that is not also occasionally getting into their personal mech and blasting things, just like Patton used to do with his favorite Sherman "Buster".

I had no idea.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

Wait, what? There's a political figure in the BT universe that is not also occasionally getting into their personal mech and blasting things, just like Patton used to do with his favorite Sherman "Buster".

I had no idea.

There's actually a lot but they are, as a rule, bad people.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Or they used to be a Mech pilot and cannot because of injury et cetera. (The Candace Liao rule)

Also, dear old 'Myndo doesn't need to convert if all the Clans want is info. They've got some pretty hardcore drugs and can do an interrogation pretty harsh up- took Phelan, what, a few months to entirely recover from his interrogation? If the Clans captured Waterly, they know... pretty much everything.

Oh, that's why Comstar is going to be releasing lots of Lostech early, aren't they? Not necessarily the military losses, but as soon as they realize that one of the First Circuit has effectively been drained of all conceivable intel by a hostile force... oh dear lord. And the Clans are more likely to do it to her instead of Focht, because there's no chance they'll see Waterly as a warrior worthy of respect like they did Focht. Hoo boy.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

No, there was...........um......Omi Kurita?

Also, STOP GIVING PTN IDEAS!!!!! This is how people in Dnd get butr-raped by a horde of Beholders! Once you say it, the dm(or gm) doesn't need to make up original ideas!

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 27, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

Definitely, but sometimes it's hard to pass up 40 potential damage to a single spot.

Guilty admission: I am actually incapable of firing a RAC on anything less than the 6x firing rate. Even when it isn't tactically sound, I can't restrain myself from holding down the 'fire everything' button.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Oh, that's why Comstar is going to be releasing lots of Lostech early, aren't they? Not necessarily the military losses, but as soon as they realize that one of the First Circuit has effectively been drained of all conceivable intel by a hostile force... oh dear lord. And the Clans are more likely to do it to her instead of Focht, because there's no chance they'll see Waterly as a warrior worthy of respect like they did Focht. Hoo boy.

Oh dear god, you're entirely right. No wonder we're gonna need the Inner Sphere Dream Team this time...

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Once again cause i'm laid up with a sprained ankle and I'm bored. Here is an another edition of "Get to know your IS Mechs!"

Clint

The Clint is a Recon-in-force mech, with jump jets for 180 meters and 97.2 km/h max speed. At 40 tons the mech has enough tonnage to start equipping heavy hitting guns, with the AC/10 and some variants an ERPPC. Everyone uses the Clint and it's been around since the Star League era, making it a old but dependable design that managed to age very well by the time we are in.

The scout version is light and able to move rather fast
CLNT-2-3T armaments:
2 x Medium Lasers
1 AC/5 20 Shots
Jump jets for 180 meters

The recon-in-force/light mech design, drops the jump jets and swaps out the AC/5 for an AC 10
CLNT-1-2R armaments:
1 AC/10 10 Shots
1 medium laser

Axe-man's uninformed crazy rear end opinion: I like the Clint, it is a 40 tonner with good movement decent armor for it's size and best of all able to be a relatively hard hitting mech with the right variants. The only thing I don't like about it is the low amount of ammo and the lack of CASE. However for most light/medium engagements it is enough ammo to do it's job. The later variants eliminate this by either adding a ton of ammo or changing to an energy weapon with double heatsinks. The Clint is really I think one of this era's best stock mech though for it's tonnage.

Click here for the full 688x1256 image.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

...you can fire an RAC at less than the maximum rate? :monocle:

(I'm only half joking.)

MW4 Mercs had bigger RACs. Let me tell you, a RAC-20 is just good clean family fun. It's also the "I Win" button in Solaris where short engagement distances and short fights are the rule. Seriously. Try it.

quote:

Oh dear god, you're entirely right. No wonder we're gonna need the Inner Sphere Dream Team this time...

Well I AM* the thread's Intelligence Minister.

*Self appointed, offer not valid in selected markets, offer not valid in unselected markets

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 27, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

elitebuster posted:

No, there was...........um......Omi Kurita?

You mean Princess Peach, Snake Edition?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

I go to read about the clint for 5 minutes and then you discover that the IS is royally screwed over and no "trial to end the war" to save it? Man, i need to f5 more often.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Well I AM* the thread's Intelligence Minister.

*Self appointed, offer not valid in selected markets, offer not valid in unselected markets

So does that make me the thread's Archivist Demi-Precentor? Cool, I love ComStar uniforms.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

Axe-man posted:

Once again cause i'm laid up with a sprained ankle and I'm bored. Here is an another edition of "Get to know your IS Mechs!"

Clint

The Clint is a Recon-in-force mech, with jump jets for 180 meters and 97.2 km/h max speed. At 40 tons the mech has enough tonnage to start equipping heavy hitting guns, with the AC/10 and some variants an ERPPC. Everyone uses the Clint and it's been around since the Star League era, making it a old but dependable design that managed to age very well by the time we are in.

The scout version is light and able to move rather fast
CLNT-2-3T armaments:
2 x Medium Lasers
1 AC/5 20 Shots
Jump jets for 180 meters

The recon-in-force/light mech design, drops the jump jets and swaps out the AC/5 for an AC 10
CLNT-1-2R armaments:
1 AC/10 10 Shots
1 medium laser

Axe-man's uninformed crazy rear end opinion: I like the Clint, it is a 40 tonner with good movement decent armor for it's size and best of all able to be a relatively hard hitting mech with the right variants. The only thing I don't like about it is the low amount of ammo and the lack of CASE. However for most light/medium engagements it is enough ammo to do it's job. The later variants eliminate this by either adding a ton of ammo or changing to an energy weapon with double heatsinks. The Clint is really I think one of this era's best stock mech though for it's tonnage.

Click here for the full 688x1256 image.

This. A thousand times this. Piloting a stock Clint saved my rear end in a 12-person campaign where we were playing a Davion recon company against a GM playing the OpFor. I held off a Jenner, a Javelin, and a Spider in my Clint covering the CO's escape. My lancemate...well, he took an SRM shot to the head from an infantryman and was killed by the crit. Clint's are awesome and my absolute favorite 40-tonner in 3025.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xmas Future posted:

UAC don't work that way.

Mukaikubo posted:

MW4 Mercs had bigger RACs. Let me tell you, a RAC-20 is just good clean family fun. It's also the "I Win" button in Solaris where short engagement distances and short fights are the rule. Seriously. Try it.
You know what's even more lethal? Heavy lasers. I just blasted through the entire Assault-to-Grand-Championship circuit by using a Hauptmann with two Heavy Large, two Heavy Medium and a Clan Gauss Rifle.

I didn't even have full armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Arquinsiel posted:

UAC don't work that way.
You roll twice to determine hit locations for each shot if you fire on ultra mode. You have a much better chance of hitting the same spot twice than hitting it with all 6 shots of a RAC

• Locked thread