Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

TomR posted:

I was hoping I could get a kind of foggy forest effect if I desaturated the stuff farther away (thus more out of focus and lower contrast) but it just looked like selective colour.
If you are trying to mimic atmospheric perspective then you should have taken the second half of your advice and considered blur and contrast rather than saturation. Apply the mask on top of a contrast adjustment layer rather than a saturation layer. Saturation will decrease naturally with contrast. It will probably look pretty bland as first since it will tend toward gray, but you could probably add a bit of color with either a 5% hue layer or gradient map.

Also you could post the picture so we know what you're trying to work with.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I know this is going to be a highly subjective question, but does anyone have any opinions on what size tablet is ideal for photo editing and image manipulation in Photoshop?

I've used a tablet extensively in the past, but not for this kind of thing. I want to spring for a tablet as I want to ramp up my Photoshop usage dramatically, but I'm a bit prang about buying the wrong size. I've been immediately drawn to slightly larger models (e.g. an Intuos4 Large or second hand Intuos3 A4), but I'm not sure if that'd be overkill, especially considering I will be doing no actual drawing/painting/illustration on it (i'm a terrible artist).

I guess what I'm asking is, for those of you who have slightly smaller tablets, do you find it a ballache to do fiddly Photoshop stuff?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

rear end is my canvas posted:

Filter> Stylize> Find Edges :D

What are you going for or trying to do?

Came here to post this. Find edges with a large radius, filter > other > maximize to increase it even more if needed, then blur to soften it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

moron posted:

I know this is going to be a highly subjective question, but does anyone have any opinions on what size tablet is ideal for photo editing and image manipulation in Photoshop?

I've used a tablet extensively in the past, but not for this kind of thing. I want to spring for a tablet as I want to ramp up my Photoshop usage dramatically, but I'm a bit prang about buying the wrong size. I've been immediately drawn to slightly larger models (e.g. an Intuos4 Large or second hand Intuos3 A4), but I'm not sure if that'd be overkill, especially considering I will be doing no actual drawing/painting/illustration on it (i'm a terrible artist).

I guess what I'm asking is, for those of you who have slightly smaller tablets, do you find it a ballache to do fiddly Photoshop stuff?

I have a 6x8 at home I've had forever. In the past work has given me an 8x10 (whatever the next size up is) and I found it too large and I didn't like how big of gestures I had to do.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Yeah I like the medium sized ones. The smallest 4x5 ones are fine for mask making and most other things, but the 6x8 is like perfect.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

brad industry posted:

Yeah I like the medium sized ones. The smallest 4x5 ones are fine for mask making and most other things, but the 6x8 is like perfect.

Going to agree with the medium size. The large might be nice, but I found it too cumbersome. Small is okay but I prefer the medium.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I *loved* my 9x12 and everything else has seemed lacking by comparison. I sold it a while ago though, and I've regretted it ever since :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone have any general settings for LR3 noise reduction/sharpening at iso 6000?

I've come up with:
Sharpening: 22, 1.0, 25, 0
NR: 52, 72, 0, 52, 50

Curious what others use as I am really new to this :)

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

I have a 6x8 at home I've had forever. In the past work has given me an 8x10 (whatever the next size up is) and I found it too large and I didn't like how big of gestures I had to do.

brad industry posted:

Shmoogy posted:

Going to agree with the medium size. The large might be nice, but I found it too cumbersome. Small is okay but I prefer the medium.

Thanks for the replies guys. It's given me the peace of mind I needed, and I'll be opting for the medium size. :)

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

A5H posted:

Does anyone have any general settings for LR3 noise reduction/sharpening at iso 6000?
Depends on camera and photo unfortunately.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Greybone posted:

When viewing a photo in a LR3 catalog, is there a way to see if it has been exported by any of the publish services?

Is there a way of publishing all "New photos to publish" at once? (I.e multiple services)

Is there a way to get the facebook publish service to show all albums at once like the smugmug service does?

Anyone? Especially the first part is becoming annoying since it's hard to keep track of what's already published :(

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Anyone have a good sorting program (or method) for OS X to recommend, preferably cheap or free? I shoot RAW+JPG (a relic from having a netbook as a primary computer) and have been throwing all the JPGs in Preview, then color-coding the ones I plan to process and dumping all of the corresponding RAW files in a folder to work through. It... works, but I know there's got to be a better way. I'm using CS5 rather than Lightroom/Aperture, I'd really rather something for managing the files themselves rather than building a proprietary library.

Also I was thinking about DxO but gently caress $300 for the Elite version because I have a 5Dmk1. How often do they do sales?

gib
Jul 14, 2004
I am probably Lowtax
Lightroom should be under $100 if you're a student. Even at the regular price it's totally worth it. Aperture just got much cheaper too if you get it through the App Store. If you shoot a lot, try PhotoMechanic. Also, stop shooting raw+jpeg. There's a jpeg already embedded in your raw file.

Do you keep your raw files? I do a folder for each set of photos like "2011-01-22 Description of Shoot".

gib fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 22, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

The problem with Adobe software is they normally don't display the hotkeys anywhere in the main interface window. You have to hover over a gadget with the mouse for several seconds for the program to reveal it.
Yeah that's really retarded. So hate doing that hover thing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Greybone posted:

Anyone? Especially the first part is becoming annoying since it's hard to keep track of what's already published :(
What do you export to?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I'm having a stupid problem with Lightroom, and was hoping to get some help.

Basically, my pictures aren't exporting to the dimensions I specify.

I'm making some thumbnails for a gallery, and they HAVE to be a specific resolution, which is 590x330.

When I go to Export, and put 590x330 in Dimensions, they come out as 587x330.

If I put Long Edge to 590, they go to 332. If I put short edge to 330, they go over that as well.

Is there any way to FORCE Lightroom to export to certain dimensions even if it messes up the aspect ratio ever so slightly?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What if you crop the photos, go to Enter Custom and do 59x33. It lets me export as 590x330 if I do the custom crop beforehand.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

evil_bunnY posted:

What do you export to?

I use the Facebook, Smugmug and hd exports from LR 3.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

spf3million posted:

What if you crop the photos, go to Enter Custom and do 59x33. It lets me export as 590x330 if I do the custom crop beforehand.

It turns out they THOUGHT they were doing 16:9, but were off by a few pixels, so I had the web guy change the gallery settings to actual 16:9 values, and everything is able to be exported without having to change aspect ratios.

They didn't tell me they were going for that, but luckily my sweet sweet math skills saved the day.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
That makes a lot more sense.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Can someone give some insight into how to process such a "painted" look?

I'm not after a "zomg how to be Dave Hill" but I really like this guys take on the typical Dave Hill wannabe legion.

Neighbor's Daughter was in Town by adriandavidpayne, on Flickr

Forget the HDR background, forget the lighting, I'm purely looking at the post processing on the model.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The light is important though. Looks like a dish overhead and a couple of kickers for the rim.

As for the processing, I've had success with using the high pass filter stuff but with a soft light filter instead. She's also been airbrushed.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Yeah that definitely looks like high pass with either soft/hard light.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Interrupting Moss posted:

The light is important though. Looks like a dish overhead and a couple of kickers for the rim.

As for the processing, I've had success with using the high pass filter stuff but with a soft light filter instead. She's also been airbrushed.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know how important the lighting is, I already knew how the lighting was done.. I just didn't know how the PP was done :]

Cheers for the tip.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The main thing that jumps out at me about that is that they softened the background and then sharpened/went crazy with contrast on the subject (with light and also obviously PS). And then dodged (IMO poorly) behind the subject.

Don't overuse high-pass, mask it in very selectively with a low opacity brush and do it slow. And don't use filters or other processing tricks when good old fashioned dodge and burn will do it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Cyberbob posted:

I'm not after a "zomg how to be Dave Hill" but I really like this guys take on the typical Dave Hill wannabe legion.

Forget the HDR background, forget the lighting, I'm purely looking at the post processing on the model.

There really isn't anything painted looking at all about the subject. It's a contrasty main on a boom (small softbox or a beauty dish) and then harder rim lights, possibly bare flashes, but more likely small reflectors or even silver umbrellas, both at even power, behind and glancing off the edges.

If there is anything painterly about the image, it's the background (though I'd disagree on that too, but it's closer to fitting that description than the subject) so I'm curious why you feel she looks painterly? Is it the lack of specularity on her skin?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why dodge behind her? Looks weird.

Also, does anyone have a good tutorial for masking? I've never actually tried to use it apart from to fake tilt shift.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

A5H posted:

Why dodge behind her? Looks weird.

Also, does anyone have a good tutorial for masking? I've never actually tried to use it apart from to fake tilt shift.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/masks.htm

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

brad industry posted:

The main thing that jumps out at me about that is that they softened the background and then sharpened/went crazy with contrast on the subject (with light and also obviously PS). And then dodged (IMO poorly) behind the subject.

Don't overuse high-pass, mask it in very selectively with a low opacity brush and do it slow. And don't use filters or other processing tricks when good old fashioned dodge and burn will do it.

Also good hair. Try to add kick to anyone without proper hair and you'll see a lot more hairs sticking around. Either that or very good PS.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
For people playing "guess the llighting", it's actually on the flickr page:

quote:

strobist: AB800 into 22" beauty dish front
AB800 bare behind right shoulder
ABR800 ringflash bare behind left shoulder.
HDR of old house taken in natural light

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

Cross_ posted:

For people playing "guess the llighting", it's actually on the flickr page:

PPIMM wins

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thanks man :)

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Cyberbob posted:

What the hell is this composition?

Am I only the only one who finds this tacky? Like laser backdrop from the early-90s tacky. It's going to look really dated in 10 years.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is this a setting somewhere, or is there a legit reason I can't "Move" files from my CF card to my LR catalog?

I'm not saying that moving is the smartest thing to do, but I'm not sure why it's not giving me the option.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
So how may I make my street shots look like this using either Lightroom or Photoshop CS5?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Is this a setting somewhere, or is there a legit reason I can't "Move" files from my CF card to my LR catalog?
LR doesn't like deleting from removable media. Deal with it.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Auditore posted:

So how may I make my street shots look like this using either Lightroom or Photoshop CS5?

1. There's 0 blue in the picture.
2. Reds/Yellow/Oranges have been desaturated.
3. A contrast boost has most likely been applied.
4. Clarity was also most likely boosted.
5. Vignette added.
6. Maybe a bit of split toning.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Anyone running Lightroom 3 on the new MacBook Air? I'm thinking of getting the 11-inch.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Whitezombi posted:

Anyone running Lightroom 3 on the new MacBook Air? I'm thinking of getting the 11-inch.

I really don't see this as a good idea.
First strike against it is, that it has an SSD, which is small space-wise and expensive per GB, which matters a lot for photography. But even worse is the 1.4Ghz or 1.6Ghz Core2Duo. Then for LR3, you should have 4Gb of RAM, which you must buy at Apple as it is soldered in with no way to add it yourself later. Which immediately pegs you at $1.4k. And then you're paying that for what at the very best will be mediocre performance.

I'm saying that from my experience of trying LR3 on my 2007 White MacBook with a Core2Duo 2.16Ghz and 4Gb of RAM. The thing sounds like a jet taking off after a short while in LR3 and the performance (probably thanks to the laptop HDD) is still ways off from my (not so fast) 2.66Ghz iMac.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The SSD drive would actually probably help LR3 a lot.

Yeah you'd have to cycle pictures off pretty fast because you will run out of space, but the editing itself might not be too painful. HDD based macbooks have horribly slow hard drives, which is why editing on them is so painful.

I'm not all sure how CPU reliant LR3 is.. I wouldn't buy a macbook air just for LR, but if I had one already, I'd certainly give it a try.

• Locked thread