Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

...you can fire an RAC at less than the maximum rate? :monocle:

(I'm only half joking.)

MW4 Mercs had bigger RACs. Let me tell you, a RAC-20 is just good clean family fun. It's also the "I Win" button in Solaris where short engagement distances and short fights are the rule. Seriously. Try it.

The MW4:Mercs thread on this forum taught me the real I-Win button for Solaris: The Annihilator with 4 LBX-AC/20 cannons.

EDIT:

Baww, new page again. Here, let met post another one of my favorite mechs: The Blood Asp!

Hopefully I won't get on probation for posting this one...

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

elitebuster posted:

No, there was...........um......Omi Kurita?

Also, STOP GIVING PTN IDEAS!!!!! This is how people in Dnd get butr-raped by a horde of Beholders! Once you say it, the dm(or gm) doesn't need to make up original ideas!

The exception is made for female characters who a main character puts his dick in.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Agent Interrobang posted:

So does that make me the thread's Archivist Demi-Precentor? Cool, I love ComStar uniforms.

Far be it for me to deny you the right to an awesomely snazzy uniform. :whatup:

quote:

I go to read about the clint for 5 minutes and then you discover that the IS is royally screwed over and no "trial to end the war" to save it? Man, i need to f5 more often.

Who's up for the Battle of Tharkad Terra? I know I am.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

Oh man now I am imagining the Battle of Tukkayid as done in San Fran and London...

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Gothsheep posted:

Hopefully I won't get on probation for posting this one...

Your kewl duder that is on photobucket :cool::respek::cool:

Mukaikubo posted:

The Earth Defense Ring has to fall first, and this time no WoB traitors to Deux Machina it.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

WarLocke posted:

Oh man now I am imagining the Battle of Tukkayid as done in San Fran and London...

:aaaaa: Oh lord, that would be something. Imagine a battalion of Mechs using the heat at the bottom of the Grand Canyon to disguise their thermal signatures... ngh.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xmas Future posted:

You roll twice to determine hit locations for each shot if you fire on ultra mode. You have a much better chance of hitting the same spot twice than hitting it with all 6 shots of a RAC
You roll first on the 2 column of the cluster table to determine how many of your shots hit. The UAC is about as accurate as a RAC firing two shots. The RAC is substantially more damaging on average and has much better range.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arquinsiel posted:

You roll first on the 2 column of the cluster table to determine how many of your shots hit. The UAC is about as accurate as a RAC firing two shots. The RAC is substantially more damaging on average and has much better range.

UAC have longer range than RACs

AC/5 = max range 18
UAC/5 = max range 20
RAC/5 = max range 15

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Arquinsiel posted:

I know, I'm saying it doesn't have the single-location damage potential as a UAC

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Sign me up! Has been years since I last played some Battletech. I'd also be willing to play a tanker, if you need one. My e-mail: REDACTED

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, AC/2s are silly weapons, but if you take a big enough mech and just mount a shitton of them, you get the whole MG effect going on - but at ridiculous ranges. :black101:

And that's why the Partisan version with 5 AC/2s is actually useable, if only in a niche role. That being that it can really gently caress up VTOLs and flyers. Eh, and I guess shredding infantry platoons from halfway across the map. So, it actually does exactly what a mobile AA vehicle is supposed to. Blessed be flak and flechette ammo.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I tohught we were all going to cycle out after 1 mission anyway.

That, or Poptarts could actually be writing down an OOB for the regiment, which we're not even close to filling currently. (Common IS structure is 4 Mechs per lance, 3 lances per company. A battalion is three companies plus command lance and a Regiment three Battalions plus command element, commonly ranging from another lance to another company. So, 124-132 Mechs overall.)

Magni fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 27, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Goddamn ballistic weaponry are so heavy ALWAYS. I have a hard time not tearing them off and replacing them with energy or missile weapons.

Which means that my mech slumps over in the middle of battle a bit too often...

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I still like the Bane. 10 Ultra AC/2s. It may not actually hurt that much, but MAN will it annoy someone!

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Magni posted:

That, or Poptarts could actually be writing down an OOB for the regiment, which we're not even close to filling currently. (Common IS structure is 4 Mechs per lance, 3 lances per company. A battalion is three companies plus command lance and a Regiment three Battalions plus command element, commonly ranging from another lance to another company. So, 124-132 Mechs overall.)

I hope that while we might circle out, each person who played gets to keep the mech pilot they played as so that when they come back they get a sense of continuity. (Of course this does lead to some unpleasant consequences if somebody dies...we'll see.)

Oh, I didn't mention when I signed up, I have PMs, so no need to worry about email on my account.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Let me Present the least Feasible of All Mechs ever thought up!

Given to us by that lovely Helm's Memory Core

The Combine-Harvester Mech!

Because we all know that this:

REALLY NEEDS SOMETHING: LEGS

:supaburn:

I'm not how this would even speed up production, it seems like it would actually be a negative.

What makes this worse, is there is even an older version of this...

Here is the Harvester Ant

Click here for the full 634x376 image.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 27, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Renaissance Spam posted:

I hope that while we might circle out, each person who played gets to keep the mech pilot they played as so that when they come back they get a sense of continuity. (Of course this does lead to some unpleasant consequences if somebody dies...we'll see.)

Oh, I didn't mention when I signed up, I have PMs, so no need to worry about email on my account.

It would be awesome, but has the potential to end up giving characters in 'Mechs an advantage compared to those in vehicles. Also, what if one person gets an Atlas and doesn't share, or has to be out of town?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Given to us by that lovely Helm's Memory Core

The Combine-Harvester Mech!

Because we all know that this:

REALLY NEEDS SOMETHING: LEGS

:supaburn:

I'm not how this would even speed up production, it seems like it would actually be a negative.

It allows for maximum cutt-itude and Razorificness! Didn't you take Future-tech 101: "Putting legs on poo poo with no legs"?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Axe-man posted:

What makes this worse, is there is even an older version of this...

I love how the combine and the agromech are specifically called out for having high armor. Who gives a rats rear end about armor on a civilian commercial vehicle.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Wow...uh, yeah.

When I originally saw this design I thought "Oh, harvesting. Like harvesting trees or stone or suchlike. I bet that chainfist thing is modular so it can be replaced with a myriad of tools for whatever job is required."

But nope, it's a harvester. That's kind of pathetic.

elitebuster posted:

It would be awesome, but has the potential to end up giving characters in 'Mechs an advantage compared to those in vehicles. Also, what if one person gets an Atlas and doesn't share, or has to be out of town?

Well, it would be the pilot, not the mech so that nobody got screwed out of neat clanmechs or other wonderful machines of mass destruction later on down the road.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I love how the combine and the agromech are specifically called out for having high armor. Who gives a rats rear end about armor on a civilian commercial vehicle.

Pilot encounters large rock while harvesting, fails pilot check, falls over. Without that armor the fatality rate would be enormous.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Linked for appropriateness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh_A7N3_mc

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

To be fair, I think Stackpole had a big fight between a bunch of Harvesters in one of the first Dark Ages books, I actually thought that was pretty cool.

I was just thinking about that...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Axe-man posted:

UAC have longer range than RACs

AC/5 = max range 18
UAC/5 = max range 20
RAC/5 = max range 15
There's a tradeoff between range and damage at work, but at what range can a UAC5 do 15 damage to a target, and what damage can a UAC20 do at range 13?

Magni posted:

And that's why the Partisan version with 5 AC/2s is actually useable, if only in a niche role. That being that it can really gently caress up VTOLs and flyers. Eh, and I guess shredding infantry platoons from halfway across the map. So, it actually does exactly what a mobile AA vehicle is supposed to. Blessed be flak and flechette ammo.
Have you looked at the modern variants?

2 LB10X, 2 AC2, C3 Slave;
2 RAC5 and 2 LB2X;
2 LB10X and 2 UAC2;
Or my favourite...:
4 RAC, Targeting Computer and C3 Slave.... *drool*

Gothsheep posted:

I still like the Bane. 10 Ultra AC/2s. It may not actually hurt that much, but MAN will it annoy someone!
10 UAC2 is still a potential 40 damage. That's a PSR if only half the slugs hit.

I've actually used a pair of Harvester Ants in a Pentagon Worlds scenario. It had the "military" upgrades of SRM2 and two machine guns. Because of the scenario rolling randomly for ammo they had only about two rounds per gun. Ironically the combine harvester does more damage in Melee than any of the weapons mounted.....

This was sung repeatedly, as the valiant Harvester Ants with NO FUKKEN AMMO chased off a full light Star of Clan whatever.

Well gently caress.... beaten. Except it actually happened so SCREW YOU GUYS :colbert:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Pilot encounters large rock while harvesting, fails pilot check, falls over. Without that armor the fatality rate would be enormous.

And this is why the entire mech harvester concept is totally insane?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

:golfclap::tipshat::banjo:

These are all that are required...

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

And this is why the entire mech harvester concept is totally awesome?

Fixed. Being a farmer is a drat boring existence. Being a farmer in an agromech is loving awesome.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

You totally earned some comstar uniform with that one :hfive:

Arquinsiel posted:

There's a tradeoff between range and damage at work, but at what range can a UAC5 do 15 damage to a target, and what damage can a UAC20 do at range 13?

It's all a trade off the RAC is all new tech through, mech4:merc is where most of my experience with RACs come from and they do AC damage terribly there :-/

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

*salutes*
Permission to troll the House Kurita soldiers with this music, ma'am?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

paragon1 posted:

*salutes*
Permission to troll the House Kurita soldiers with this music, ma'am?

We can cook hotdogs off their wrecked fusion cores, someone bring the smores and cheap beer!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

If I'm good at nothing else, it's digging up ridiculously obscure music. I bet ComStar has a whole division for pirated MP3s.

Permission to blare goofy comedy songs at stuck-up Kurita Mechwarriors is granted.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

If I'm good at nothing else, it's digging up ridiculously obscure music. I bet ComStar has a whole division for pirated MP3s.

Permission to blare goofy comedy songs at stuck-up Kurita Mechwarriors is granted.

This is going to be the reason the Kell Hounds get a reputation in this timeline isn't it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Acknowledged, firing long range W.A.Y. in 3...2...1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGM8PT1eAvY

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Oh, and be sure to play music from Macross/Robotech at LAM and Warhammer pilots, too! :haw:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

But yeah, there is a point to be made that 'Mechs were industrial equipment first and weapons of war second. Some I could understand (forestry, mining) but agriculture? Not so much

Still though, I liked the Agro Mech Mk. II I had for the Dark Age game (yes I liked it for what it was) that had one of its arms replaced with a Gauss Rifle. :hellyeah:

Oh, and be sure to play music from Macross/Robotech at LAM and Warhammer pilots, too! :haw:

And Dougram-related music at Shadow Hawk and Battlemaster pilots, among others (yeah I know, there isn't much on that front).

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 27, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

Damage is the same at any range, you roll on the missile hit table no matter what.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Arquinsiel posted:

10 UAC2 is still a potential 40 damage. That's a PSR if only half the slugs hit.

There's a reason why you might choose to go with lots of smaller weapons over a few bigger ones. While the expected value for damage between 10 AC2s and 1 AC20 are exactly the same (ignoring range effects) the variance in damage is much lower with the AC2s. This is mostly balanced out by the weights and heat production of the weapons which favor the bigger guns but there are a few exceptions to this (machine guns, clan ER small lasers, etc).

*edit*

4 lrm 5s vs 1 lrm20 follows the same type of reasoning.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 27, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Mukaikubo posted:

e: Oh hell yes Frederick Steiner is still Marshal of the Armies, isn't he? This is gonna be FUN.

This is partially why I really hope the Lyrans are one of our other factions.

Edit: also, and for some really bizzarre reason, combines are one of the best melee weapons under the TW rules.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 27, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Der Waffle Mous posted:

This is partially why I really hope the Lyrans are one of our other factions.

Edit: also, and for some really bizzarre reason, combines are one of the best melee weapons under the TW rules.

dem clanner boys look realll purdy

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Axe-man posted:

dem clanner boys look realll purdy

Oh God, I just got an image of a couple of rednecks racing Mechs down a dirt road with the Confederate flag on their hull like The Dukes of Hazard. :bang:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Oh God, I just got an image of a couple of rednecks racing Mechs down a dirt road with the Confederate flag on their hull like The Dukes of Hazard. :bang:

Oh god, why are we not playing this. I cannot imagine anything more fun :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Oh god, why are we not playing this. I cannot imagine anything more fun :D

Right about then, them Steiner boys knew they were in a whole heap a'trouble...

• Locked thread