Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The A-Team Van posted:

Why is Rey the only masked wrestler on the main roster?

Vince historically doesn't like masked guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

jeffersonlives posted:

Vince historically doesn't like masked guys.

He believes that the mask makes it harder for people to see their facial expressions and therefore connect with the character. If I remember correctly.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I remember hearing Stephanie McMahon wanted to get rid of Ultimo Dragons mask but I could be wrong.

Something about wanting Rey to be the only masked wrestler on the roster.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

The A-Team Van posted:

Because he's the only one who looks like an 11 year old boy

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Faxman posted:

Because he's the only one who looks like an 11 year old boy

Hornswoggle?

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Hornswoggle?

HE'S GOT A BEARD!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rotinaj posted:

He believes that the mask makes it harder for people to see their facial expressions and therefore connect with the character. If I remember correctly.

I still can't believe nobody has pointed at Mexico and at all the kids in Rey masks in WWE's own crowds and said,"Those dudes in masks sure sell lots of merchandise, Vince, FOR MONEY!"

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Admitting that guys in masks can draw and connect with an audience would be admitting that he was wrong, and Vince McMahon never does that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shiki Dan posted:

Admitting that guys in masks can draw and connect with an audience would be admitting that he was wrong, and Vince McMahon never does that.

Not without sacrificing at least one (1) Brian Pillman the night before.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Captain Charisma posted:

Ventura left the company after he found out he wasn't getting a cent in royalties. He sued the company, the court ruled in his favor, and jumped to WCW. He has to get royalties for every release he's on now, and that's why you'll hear a lot of dead air in late 80s/early 90s WWF matches and some early 90s WCW matches, since they edit him out.

I believe they've some kind of agreement, I think it was around 2005 or so. His voice is used in most old footage now, that I've seen. The last time I remember it being edited out was in 2004, I think. I remember some stories coming out about them finally working things out.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

El Duke posted:

I believe they've some kind of agreement, I think it was around 2005 or so. His voice is used in most old footage now, that I've seen. The last time I remember it being edited out was in 2004, I think. I remember some stories coming out about them finally working things out.

Well, he was a guest host, so I would imagine that bridges have been mended. Also he did the voiceover for the Mania Behind Mania for WM 19.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Hockles posted:

Well, he was a guest host, so I would imagine that bridges have been mended. Also he did the voiceover for the Mania Behind Mania for WM 19.

Strangely enough I think the voiceover was before the deal was made. He was also a guest referee at SummerSlam 99, but the editing out still existed way past then.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

El Duke posted:

I popped in some 3 disc sets I found over winter break from around 2006-08 and Ventura was almost nowhere to be found. It's really sporadic.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

I popped in some 3 disc sets I found over winter break from around 2006-08 and Ventura was almost nowhere to be found. It's really sporadic.

Weird. I know I've heard him pop up on some stuff around 2006 or so, and they didn't edit him out of the Wrestlemania releases. I've mainly heard him edited out of his WCW stuff, I'm wondering if there was an issue with that specifically.

Lonely, lonely Tony Schiavone.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The one I specifically remember are the Ventura Silences on the Dusty Rhodes DVD in the WWF stuff.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

The one I specifically remember are the Ventura Silences on the Dusty Rhodes DVD in the WWF stuff.

Looking around, it looks like sometime in 2006 they may have come to some agreement, or they're doing it on a per case basis, deciding whether or not the commentary is vital enough to include and pay royalties:

"This may be why WWF/WWE's archival footage featuring Ventura's commentary has been frequently edited out on their DVD releases (such as The History of WrestleMania: 1985-1993, The Greatest Wrestling Stars of the 80s, Bret Hart and The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior, though some earlier DVDs included his commentary, such as the Hogan/Warrior match included as a bonus on the WrestleMania X8 set). His commentary is included on the recent WrestleMania box set, the Royal Rumble box set, and History Of The WWE Championship, Hulk Hogan: The Ultimate Anthology and Born to Controversy: The Roddy Piper Story DVDs however."

Pretty much everything they mention as omitting it is pre-2006, while everything included is after, or late 06 (Piper). The Dusty set was mid 2006.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like how the Ventura-less list is mostly awesome DVDs, the Ventura list is ones that are either obscenely expensive or that don't really look appealing.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

The A-Team Van posted:

That way it's harder to get a conviction after he brutally maims the rest of the roster with the knee braces of doom.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

The A-Team Van posted:

Isn't that kinda like asking how come Mark Henry is the only black guy weighing over 300 pounds on the roster? Kind of a niche trait.

Luchadors - cruiserweights in general - aren't really in right now. A mask doesn't really suit Alberto's gimmick or any of the Nexus/NXT guys. Besides Yoshi or maybe Tyler Reks I can't even think of anyone they should slap a mask on.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought if Ventura did commentary on a majority of the matches they want on the set, they pay him.

If it's just one or two matches, they just silence him.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I thought if Ventura did commentary on a majority of the matches they want on the set, they pay him.

If it's just one or two matches, they just silence him.

Pretty much this and however Vince is feeling when someone asks him to sign off on keeping Jesse in.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Web Jew.0 posted:

Luchadors - cruiserweights in general - aren't really in right now. A mask doesn't really suit Alberto's gimmick or any of the Nexus/NXT guys. Besides Yoshi or maybe Tyler Reks I can't even think of anyone they should slap a mask on.
Still blows my mind that Alberto started out with a mask. His facial expressions are incredible.

Hot Body Spray
Feb 9, 2006

You wanker.
Same deal with Kane really.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Web Jew.0 posted:

cruiserweights in general - aren't really in right now.

If by IN you mean IN WWE - sure!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
For the PPVs at least, if you want Ventura you can just buy the tagged classics versions that Silvervision released in Europe. Nothing is edited on them, so you can have Ventura, the wwf scratch logo and whatever else they've been removing from US dvds.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
My understanding is that, if they wanted to, WWE could use the WWF name and scratch logo all they wanted to in the states. I wonder, then, how hard would it be to just put the uncensored stuff out in the US and the distorted/bleeped versions elsewhere?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've always found it unbelievably infuriating that the UK gets uncensored releases when the loving court order was against using the logo in the UK.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TL posted:

My understanding is that, if they wanted to, WWE could use the WWF name and scratch logo all they wanted to in the states. I wonder, then, how hard would it be to just put the uncensored stuff out in the US and the distorted/bleeped versions elsewhere?

I'm fairly certain it's the opposite of this. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

It was an international trademark dispute heard in an international court. The ruling did not have any effect on the WWF name in the US, only internationally. In fact, it was only regarding the initialization and not the name World Wrestling Federation, so they could have referred to themselves as World Wrestling Federation and not WWF and been fine.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think you are. The Panda WWF is called the World Wide Fund For Nature in the States.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

If by IN you mean IN WWE - sure!

Yeah that's what the question was referring to. TNA and ROH have masked wrestlers on the main roster.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Web Jew.0 posted:

Isn't that kinda like asking how come Mark Henry is the only black guy weighing over 300 pounds on the roster? Kind of a niche trait.

Rey's been the only masked wrestler in WWE for so long that the writers probably consider it his "unique" thing now. I couldn't see them bringing in another masked guy long term unless he's a heel bent on ending Rey's career.

Toadofsky
Dec 19, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has Vince McMahon ever been a face?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Toadofsky posted:

Yes, a few times. His feud with HHH and during the Invasion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Toadofsky posted:

Before he was revealed as the higher power.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Toadofsky posted:

Also during McMahons v. Legacy.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Where did the term "dusty finish" originate?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

savinhill posted:

When Dusty was a booker, he would end a lot of matches this way, so people started calling it a Dusty Finish.

I think Eddie Graham started it though.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

savinhill posted:

Basically when Dusty was head booker of JCP and WCW, he would have a babyface win the world title and then just reverse on TV out of nowhere. No rematch. Nothing. Usually right after said match.

Examples:

1. The last Bunkhouse Stampede before JCP went under.
2. Although he wasn't head booker at the time, the Piper vs Hogan 1 match at Starrcade '96 has shades of a dusty finish.

ColeM fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The usual way it would end would be the one guy throwing the other over the top rope while the ref wasn't looking (something that was a DQ in the company back then), and then the babyface would win. Then another ref would come out, tell the original ref would happen, and the heel would be DQ'd, retaining his title.