Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

rt4 posted:

Take good care of that thing and it'll take care of you! My aunt has a few really old (30-60 years) Gibson acoustics and I've never heard or played anything better.

Oh I plan on it! I'm hesitant to even find out the price. I don't want to be tempted to sell it. :ohdear:

The only way I'd want to know the price is to insure it.

I really just want to get some info on it. Can anyone tell me it's approximate age just by the pictures I posted earlier?

Edit: New page. Same pics of the guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Philthy posted:

Just to be more clear. Sometimes the hum is louder, some not. It happens in all 5 positions. On both of my amps. I have sat down with it once or twice with it being completely quiet. This past time the hum quiet until I plucked a string and the hum started. I know single coils are supposed to be a little noisy, but this would be too much for me to stand at lower volume levels. You hear the hum more than the actual guitar which is unacceptable. My other guitar (two humbuckers) is dead silent as far as hum goes.

It could be a shielding issue (there's a site about that here) but also keep your phone away from the thing!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thinking about it again, her oldest Gibson is actually 40 years old, a nice bright ash one. The 60 year old one is a Guild.

That guitar you have there is almost certainly older than 40. The head looks a bit different than the one made in 1970. The shrinkage on the pickguard definitely makes it seem really old, but maybe that could be from being left in the sun. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to have too much sun bleaching on it. Well, it's actually the same color as her 1946 Guild...

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

rt4 posted:

Thinking about it again, her oldest Gibson is actually 40 years old, a nice bright ash one. The 60 year old one is a Guild.

That guitar you have there is almost certainly older than 40. The head looks a bit different than the one made in 1970. The shrinkage on the pickguard definitely makes it seem really old, but maybe that could be from being left in the sun. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to have too much sun bleaching on it. Well, it's actually the same color as her 1946 Guild...

I tried to gauge it myself by the shape of the pick guard, the shape of the head, the way "Gibson" is written, and the shape of the saddle. I couldn't really find a guitar that matched all those things. I was estimating that it was from the late 40's, but I'm not an expert in these matters. My grandpa picked it up at an estate sale for like 50 bucks last fall. The lady he bought it from said it was her late husband's first guitar, and he'd been playing for a loooooong time. That's all the info I received on it though.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So I have the opportunity to pick up a Schecter Revenger 7 string (it's the Avenger body with a reverse headstock) for pretty cheap, and I'm thinking about it. It comes with Duncan Designed pickups so obviously I'll want to change those out, but I'm not really knowledgeable about passive 7 string pick-ups. I'm in a Symphonic Black/Death metal band (shameless plug!) so I want something that's clear and balanced but high output and heavy, with decent cleans. I'm currently using a Schecter Hellraiser 7 with EMGs into a 5150 II, so I can afford to lose a little bit of output.

I have a Seymour Duncan JB and a 59 in my six string, and I love how versatile and clean sounding those pickups are. I see SD makes the JB in a 7 string version, but not the 59. Is the 7 string version pretty comprable? What would be a good pickup to pair that with? I was looking at the Bareknuckle pickups but unfortunately they're a little out of my price range.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

edit: this isnt the bass thread

Walked fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 26, 2011

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Drifter287 posted:

So I have the opportunity to pick up a Schecter Revenger 7 string (it's the Avenger body with a reverse headstock) for pretty cheap, and I'm thinking about it. It comes with Duncan Designed pickups so obviously I'll want to change those out, but I'm not really knowledgeable about passive 7 string pick-ups. I'm in a Symphonic Black/Death metal band (shameless plug!) so I want something that's clear and balanced but high output and heavy, with decent cleans. I'm currently using a Schecter Hellraiser 7 with EMGs into a 5150 II, so I can afford to lose a little bit of output.

I have a Seymour Duncan JB and a 59 in my six string, and I love how versatile and clean sounding those pickups are. I see SD makes the JB in a 7 string version, but not the 59. Is the 7 string version pretty comprable? What would be a good pickup to pair that with? I was looking at the Bareknuckle pickups but unfortunately they're a little out of my price range.

I've only really heard bad things about the JB 7 when compared to the JB 6. For general metal, you have a ton of options with DiMarzio -- Tone Zone, D Sonic, D Activator, Blaze, Evolution, etc. For what it's worth, the Air Norton/Tone Zone combo ends up on a lot of MIJ Ibanezes for a good reason, I'd say. For mainstream heavy metal genres, you definitely don't need to blow three hundred on BKPs.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah, after looking around a bit, it seems like the D Sonic and Air Norton might be a good fit. We play in drop G# sometimes, and from the sound of it, the D Sonic handles lower tunings pretty well.

*Edit* Apparently there are two different models for the D Sonic. What's the difference between this and this?

The descriptions seem pretty similar, except that the second one has a bunch of poo poo about John Petrucci.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 26, 2011

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
One's six-string and one's seven-string. And just for your information, the Air Norton has a really unique, bell-like voicing, which may or may not be to one's liking. Shameless but relevant plug: http://zerosum.bandcamp.com/track/moving-on The lead straight off the bat is the Air Norton, and it almost sounds like a steel drum through that amp. You can hear it completely unamped at 3:20-ish, and in a legit double solo (duet?) at 3:58 on the left, the right side being a True Velvet/Tone Zone split, I believe it was. Basically, DiMarzio is p great at pups.

Edit: The Air Norton handles low tunings well too, so be sure to try it if you get it. There's a low G# toward the very end of that track.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Sounds like it's a pretty versatile pickup. I actually like that cleaner, more bell-like tone, and after finding some videos and soundclips of people playing more traditional high-gain metal stuff, I think the Norton is exactly what I want.

What amp was the AN track going through? Cool song by the way; I'll have to check out the other tracks on your bandcamp.

Kash
Jul 17, 2003

It's ironic. I finally have love in my heart but, alas, there is blood in my urine.
What's the deal with the massive price hike on new guitars in the UK? Looking at an American Standard Tele (which I'm interested in) or a Studio LP (which my friend bought a few months ago), the prices are up ~£200. It's pretty annoying as I was looking to buy one some time in the new year. I was willing to take a bit of a hit on the VAT increase, but this is ridiculous.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Kash posted:

What's the deal with the massive price hike on new guitars in the UK? Looking at an American Standard Tele (which I'm interested in) or a Studio LP (which my friend bought a few months ago), the prices are up ~£200. It's pretty annoying as I was looking to buy one some time in the new year. I was willing to take a bit of a hit on the VAT increase, but this is ridiculous.

You've tried the German stores right? Thomann.de and Musicstore.de are pretty much the cheapest in Europe and do free shipping on >€200 orders. GAK.co.uk isn't bad pricewise either

Kash
Jul 17, 2003

It's ironic. I finally have love in my heart but, alas, there is blood in my urine.

Zakalwe posted:

You've tried the German stores right? Thomann.de and Musicstore.de are pretty much the cheapest in Europe and do free shipping on >€200 orders. GAK.co.uk isn't bad pricewise either

I've used GAK before but I'd never thought about the German stores. They are a bit cheaper but still much more expensive than they were before Christmas. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I've got a question for you guys.

I've written a little ditty while noodling around. It's basically a little melody line. How would I go about figuring that key it's in so that I could maybe get some appropriate chords to go under it or sort a continuation/transposition without pure trial and error?

I realise I'm coming at this back-asswards but hey. Any tips you may have will be appreciated.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Drifter287 posted:

What amp was the AN track going through? Cool song by the way; I'll have to check out the other tracks on your bandcamp.

Thanks! Both the AN and the TV/TZ leads were either DI or going through POD Silvertone '67 Twin Twelve sim (mostly the latter), so I'm sure a real amp could get a pretty poppin' sound out of 'em.

Kaiho posted:

I've got a question for you guys.

I've written a little ditty while noodling around. It's basically a little melody line. How would I go about figuring that key it's in so that I could maybe get some appropriate chords to go under it or sort a continuation/transposition without pure trial and error?

I realise I'm coming at this back-asswards but hey. Any tips you may have will be appreciated.

No, I'd say it's the more effective way to write a song. Chord progressions are more peripheral and interchangeable than a memorable melody without a doubt. Besides, you can't know which chord creates the best harmony with a lead until you try a few.

Duck and burger fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 27, 2011

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

D-Rider posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent low to mid-range guitar that comes with P-90 pickups? I've been looking to expand my tonal palette as of late, but I can't get anything out of my SG or my Jackson but screaming metal tones.

I've heard a lot of good things about Reverend guitars and their P-90 equipped axes, but they're a little out of my price range right now. I'm thinking something with a price more along the lines of a decent Squier. Thanks.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-Custom-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=H70027

I know this model doesn't have P90's but check your local shops, there is one at my Long and McQuade with p90's and it plays like a dream. If I hadn't just spent all my money on a Godin 5th ave I would own it right now, actually my 5th Avenue has a P90 in it too

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

So I really want to get some more effects going on... I've been looking at the Line 6 POD devices as they seem to be relatively popular. I'm struggling to figure out which one would be most appropriate for someone at my level (beginner/intermediate). One thing I know is that I want to be able to change effects mid song, so I'm guessing I'll need one like this http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/info_00065430.html ?

The POD 3 looks pretty good (http://line6.com/podx3/) but I assume you need some kind of external pedal setup in order to chop and change mid song?

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Hanpan posted:

The POD 3 looks pretty good (http://line6.com/podx3/) but I assume you need some kind of external pedal setup in order to chop and change mid song?

X3 Live.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Hanpan posted:

So I really want to get some more effects going on... I've been looking at the Line 6 POD devices as they seem to be relatively popular. I'm struggling to figure out which one would be most appropriate for someone at my level (beginner/intermediate). One thing I know is that I want to be able to change effects mid song, so I'm guessing I'll need one like this http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/info_00065430.html ?

If you plan to go on stage any time I'd start getting some stompboxes. Or a really nice digital console for the stage, but those are pretty expensive to buy all at once. With stompboxes, I would start with the most basic and obvious ones: overdrive and wah. The only way you can really change effects mid song is with your feet.

The quality of effects is pretty much in line with the pricing, except maybe extra fancy boutique stuff. A good overdrive and a good wah will run you about $200 total. If you don't think you'll ever need something roadworthy by all means get a console, it's got way more effects. Stomboxes sound better in my opinion and create really unique tones because of how they interact in sequence, but you'll spend $1000 on 7 nice pedals while a fancy Line6 console for the same price might give you dozens of sounds.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 28, 2011

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

One other pick up question: I spoke to my local guitar tech today and he said to make sure the Dimarzios would fit in my guitar. I'm not really sure how to determine this without actually having the guitar and pickups in front of me. The guitar is a Schecter Revenger 7 with Duncan Designed pickups, and the new pickups are likely going to be the ones I linked above; an Air Norton 7 and a D Sonic 7. Any way of figuring out whether that would need routing or if they'll fit as is?

Sewer Cartographer
Aug 23, 2003
i like to watch.....stuff
Thanks for the ear training sites! Starting to get the hang of the different note changes.

Justinguitar has to be the most helpful in terms of understanding how to play a guitar and how chords work.

I'm also beginning to learn the dread F chord. Good god, is it supposed to hurt the area between your thumb and first finger, because I'm starting to feel it get sore.

Also, how do you sing and play at the same time? It seems impossible to sing and keep count at the same time. I always end up losing my place and thinking "oh poo poo I was supposed to change chords".

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Haha yup, bar chords are a bitch at first. I've been playing for years and I still get a little sore sometimes if I play a song with lot of em. As for singing and playing, there's no real trick to it. Focus on getting each part down separately, that way you won't have to think as hard about it when you do them together. Occasionally I'll find it useful to sort of figure out cues for myself, like remembering that I have to change chords on a certain word, but in general just play the guitar part until you don't need to think about it, then sing over it.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Sewer Cartographer posted:

I'm also beginning to learn the dread F chord. Good god, is it supposed to hurt the area between your thumb and first finger, because I'm starting to feel it get sore.

Also, how do you sing and play at the same time? It seems impossible to sing and keep count at the same time. I always end up losing my place and thinking "oh poo poo I was supposed to change chords".

Justin talks about the muscles in your hand having to get used to playing F and other bar chords. It is most certainly going to hurt, at least at the very start.

As for singing and playing, it is about muscle memory, like Drifter287 said. That said, I used to play a lot and aside from the occasional "yeah, yeah" in the right spot I could never do anything but sing the notes I was playing as I did them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I can sing a handful of songs while I play, and it's a combination of muscle memory, knowing the timing in relation to where I am in the lyrics, and not having to keep a hard rhythm.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Also, like anything else, it's a matter of practicing it. Aside from developing the muscle memory and practicing the guitar and vocal parts separately and all that, it gets easier the more you do it. I'm pretty rusty these days because I only do backup vocals in a couple of songs in my current band, but back in the day when I was playing a lot of Metallica and Megadeth covers, it got pretty easy to learn to play & sing most songs.

So basically, start out learning lots of simple stuff where you're strumming a straightforward rhythm and singing and move up from there.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 28, 2011

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My wife bought me a new acoustic guitar for christmas this year, and I've been noticing a buzz coming from the bridge on some of the strings. It was set up by a local shop when she bought it, but is there any adjustments I can do myself to fix it, or should I just bring it back by there?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

The Fool posted:

My wife bought me a new acoustic guitar for christmas this year, and I've been noticing a buzz coming from the bridge on some of the strings. It was set up by a local shop when she bought it, but is there any adjustments I can do myself to fix it, or should I just bring it back by there?

Your strings are probably not old, but you may want to replace them so you can tap those bridge pegs in tighter. If that doesn't work, take it to get looked at to see if the "bone" piece or something else is loose. It's likely a simple fix, but get it diagnosed and have the fix explained. Making adjustments to the bridge of an acoustic guitar could be a one-shot deal, so I think you'll want to leave that to someone with experience.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Ok, question about guitar shapes. Is it expected that guitars of a similar shape are going to have a similar sound? Like is a Gibson LP, Epiphone LP and a Agile AL all going to have a similar sound? Are all flying V's going to sound somewhat alike?

Or are they just shapes?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

crm posted:

Ok, question about guitar shapes. Is it expected that guitars of a similar shape are going to have a similar sound? Like is a Gibson LP, Epiphone LP and a Agile AL all going to have a similar sound? Are all flying V's going to sound somewhat alike?

Or are they just shapes?

Mostly just shapes although some people claim flat bodies set up standing waves etc.

Wood type and weight make way more of a difference. Most LPs and copies are mahogany, so they'll be close, although there are different types of mahogany. The maple cap also helps brighten up the sound. Again, there are different grades and types of maple.

Don't forget that the pickups make a massive difference in sound.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Is there any sort of guide to what woods do to the sound?

How about pickups?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

crm posted:

Is there any sort of guide to what woods do to the sound?

How about pickups?

Don't know about pickups, but I love the information on woods that Warmoth's custom guitar builder gives you.

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

Sorry for yet another recommendation request...

My budget is about $1k and I am leaning towards Taylor due to the brighter sound compared to Martins. I have spent a couple weeks going to Guitar shops and still have a few things I'd love to have opinions on:

1) Guitar shape. Is dreadnought best? I know this has to do with preference, but I've learned I like a bright sound and my impression is dreadnoughts/experience are typically bass-ier. I could be completely wrong.

2) What about cutaways? How drastically do they change the sound of a guitar? How important are cutaways?

3) How important is non-laminate sides and back? Completely solid is my goal for this guitar, as I am spending enough.

4) I am sort-of leaning towards this model (probably not from the internet, just easier to link info this way) http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-DN3-SapeleSpruce-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=514282

Anyway, I'd like an acoustic that I can pass to my kids and while not super top of the line, is good quality. Thanks for any info!

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
I'm interested in modeling software, like Guitar Rig, on my pc. I kind of want to buy the Guitar Rig Mobile (http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/guitar/guitar-rig-mobile/).

I have a high-end computer so I'm not worried about performance, but rather whether or not the hardware in that package is good or not. Is there something at the same price (or range) that is comparable and better?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Patman posted:

Sorry for yet another recommendation request...

My budget is about $1k and I am leaning towards Taylor due to the brighter sound compared to Martins. I have spent a couple weeks going to Guitar shops and still have a few things I'd love to have opinions on:

1) Guitar shape. Is dreadnought best? I know this has to do with preference, but I've learned I like a bright sound and my impression is dreadnoughts/experience are typically bass-ier. I could be completely wrong.

2) What about cutaways? How drastically do they change the sound of a guitar? How important are cutaways?

3) How important is non-laminate sides and back? Completely solid is my goal for this guitar, as I am spending enough.

4) I am sort-of leaning towards this model (probably not from the internet, just easier to link info this way) http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-DN3-SapeleSpruce-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=514282

Anyway, I'd like an acoustic that I can pass to my kids and while not super top of the line, is good quality. Thanks for any info!

The only thing that I can contribute here is that I started with a dread (a Washburn D15M) about 28 years ago, and I love the rich sound of it so much that I wouldn't ever buy a non-dread again. Maybe I should change - but I still have the same guitar. It has laminate all around, and with new strings, sounds amazing*. This was not an expensive guitar when I bought it in the 80's, and I never got round to having children, but if I did, I would be happy to leave them this guitar. It's great.

*Oh yeah. It used to sound amazing, but when I emigrated from the UK to Canada, the heel end of the body got stoved in. Now it just sounds good. I should get it fixed.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

unpurposed posted:

I'm interested in modeling software, like Guitar Rig, on my pc. I kind of want to buy the Guitar Rig Mobile (http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/guitar/guitar-rig-mobile/).

I have a high-end computer so I'm not worried about performance, but rather whether or not the hardware in that package is good or not. Is there something at the same price (or range) that is comparable and better?

I use POD Farm (DI with the POD X3, POD Farm in Sonar) for amp sims, random free impulses in keFIR (also free) for cab sims, and SimulAnalog Suite (free again) (in addition to what POD Farm offers) for stomp boxes. Just the POD Farm alone is fantastic for bass. I tried Amplitube, Guitar Rig, and ReValver, but ended up back on this, and I want for nothing. Works pretty well for me: http://zerosum.bandcamp.com/track/love-2 Moving On is a much less satanic and crushing example if you're like indie or rock or something.

Woo, POD.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I'm about to put my Jackson SLSMG in Standard D. What are the best string guages to use? I normally play a standard set of 9s and the general consensus for D standard online seems to be 11-52s. Sound about right?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Manky posted:

Don't know about pickups, but I love the information on woods that Warmoth's custom guitar builder gives you.

This is fantastic. Thank you.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I'm about to put my Jackson SLSMG in Standard D. What are the best string guages to use? I normally play a standard set of 9s and the general consensus for D standard online seems to be 11-52s. Sound about right?

That'll work. I've played in D with .10s before with no issues.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Yeah, that sounds fine, but it's up to you to decide what's comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Any suggestions on what string I should use on my Ibanez Artcore AS73?